shape
carat
color
clarity

what size yellow diamonds for a halo around a 12x9 dark opal

the_universe

Rough_Rock
Hello! First post here, actually just found this excellent site! I know this forum is for diamond related questions only. Though this center stone is a dark crystal opal (12x9x4.5) my question is in fact regarding the diamonds. I''m unsure if there is a better place to post this question. If so please let me know!

I have the ring design decided on. However, I have yet to finalize the size of the diamonds in the halo itself. I am completely open to different size yellow diamonds; larger or smaller, whatever accents the center stone the best. I chose 1.7 and 1.5mm because I didnt know any better at the time. When I asked my jeweler about making them bigger he told me it may start to overwhelm the center stone and he actually prefers the 1.7x1.5mm option for this reason. However, Im not sure I agree with him and I wanted some more insight. Some of you guys are so passionate about these things and have great insight with regards to proportions and look.

Please help me decide what size diamonds look best considering the size of the stone and the style of halo:

This halo uses 1.7mm up top and 1.5mm on the sides
option_1.png

This halo uses 1.7mm up top and 1.7mm on the sides
option_2.png

Here are pictures of the dark opal for reference purposes:
dime.jpg

sunlight.jpg

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Re: what size yellow diamonds for a halo around a 12x9 dark

No advice on the sizing, but I'm curious as to why you chose yellow diamonds to pair with that particular stone?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

momhappy|1409701887|3743699 said:
No advice on the sizing, but I'm curious as to why you chose yellow diamonds to pair with that particular stone?

Me too?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I think yellow diamonds can look amazing next to an opal like that.
it's not going to be a "normal" ring- but it can be very eye catching and unique.
Not only do I agree with the jeweler about the stones getting to large- I'd go a step further and suggest 1mm stones - and true pave on the halo- and skip the side mounted stones.
The entire ring will be cleaner with a bit less .....detail- this is of course my opinion.
If you like the idea of seeing prongs versus bead set (pave) then the 1.7 looks like a nice size.

the_universe

Rough_Rock

momhappy|1409701887|3743699 said:

1) white diamonds look great on platinum/white gold because the color of the metal matches the diamonds.

2) I think yellow gold is more classic looking and people forget how high end it can look.

3) yellow diamonds match yellow gold which I think look great. I think yellow gold + white diamonds + dark opal would be too much going on because the opal has so much fire in it and color play in the first place. since yellow diamonds match yellow gold its not as distracting and doesnt fight the opal but still adds some bling. The opal also has yellows in it that match the yellow diamonds (cant really tell from pic).

4) my girl has very tan skin so she looks much better in yellow gold than white gold/platinum.

the_universe

Rough_Rock

Rockdiamond|1409704743|3743726 said:
it's not going to be a "normal" ring- but it can be very eye catching and unique.
Not only do I agree with the jeweler about the stones getting to large- I'd go a step further and suggest 1mm stones - and true pave on the halo- and skip the side mounted stones.
The entire ring will be cleaner with a bit less .....detail- this is of course my opinion.
If you like the idea of seeing prongs versus bead set (pave) then the 1.7 looks like a nice size.

Thank you. I agree and I love the look of yellow diamonds on yellow gold for the halo with this stone. Thanks also for your design input I will consider it.

I will say that I was very much concerned with the "prongy look" and my jeweler showed me the exact same halo in white gold w white diamonds and it was very impressive looking not prongy at all and it was exactly 1.7mm on top and 1.5mm on the sides. Also this style of halo was cheaper to do. Its a faux pave that looks very clean and high end imo. The ring looks rather prongy in the CAD but in real life my jeweler assured me it wouldnt.

BleuRoc

Rough_Rock

Hi,
Just to give you an idea on diamond sizes, here is my opal and diamond ring. The band and opal is set in 18kt yellow gold and the diamonds are set in 18kt white gold.
Please post a picture when your ring is completed.

_21935.jpg

_21936.jpg

the_universe

Rough_Rock

what are the dimensions of your opal?
what are the size of the surrounding diamonds?

thanks

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I prefer Option1 - Best of luck - please come back and show us!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Soooo cooool!

This will be amazing and I can't wait to see.

I'm not going to be much help about the melee, but I just wanted to chime in and say yellow diamonds sound so cool and high end.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Does your opal have a belly or it has a flat base? Does the halo have to be raised that high above the shank?

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

As much as I like Fancy Yellow diamonds, I'm going to go against the grain here
and suggest that it be mounted sans halo.
You have such a fine and beautiful specimen of black opal there that your girl can enjoy it
in all of its glory without all of the diamonds around.

the_universe

Rough_Rock

Chrono|1409748252|3743962 said:
Does your opal have a belly or it has a flat base? Does the halo have to be raised that high above the shank?

It has a slight belly (linked a video to show you). The only reason I wanted the stone and halo raised is so my girl can stack a wedding band underneath the halo. My jeweler actually lowered the halo and stone a bit more on another CAD version of the ring that I am no longer considering; however it will be slightly lowered and I would definitely consider lowering it more

I'd like to keep it as low as possible while still allowing for stacking a wedding band underneath the halo portion of the ring. Does anyone have any input on how low the stone and halo can be while still allowing for stacking a band in this manner?

Here is a video of the stone underneath a jewelers lamp to get a better understanding to the shape of the stone. The artificial light shows more blues and lighter body tone than under sunlight. There are some hints of yellow under both sunlight and the artificial light which I think ties together the yellow gold and yellow diamonds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3nmgxEz9NM

the_universe

Rough_Rock

cflutist|1409754081|3743994 said:
As much as I like Fancy Yellow diamonds, I'm going to go against the grain here
and suggest that it be mounted sans halo.
You have such a fine and beautiful specimen of black opal there that your girl can enjoy it
in all of its glory without all of the diamonds around.

That was a consideration. I have a deep appreciation for simplicity. Raw dark opal and raw yellow gold is its own statement. However, my girl wants a halo.

It took some time to decide on yellow diamonds. I was looking at many different colored stones that match the colors in the opal. However, the yellows seemed less distracting as they match the gold.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock

Rockdiamond|1409704743|3743726 said:

I'm in agreement with Rockdiamond. I think yellow diamonds will look great but the melee should be very small with fine pave work. Have you considered having the halo slightly angled outward?

the_universe

Rough_Rock

maccers|1409769830|3744173 said:
I'm in agreement with Rockdiamond. I think yellow diamonds will look great but the melee should be very small with fine pave work. Have you considered having the halo slightly angled outward?

I have not considered it. Can you show me some pics of ones you think are done well?

the1kayladawn

Rough_Rock

I really don't have an opinion but I just popped by to say this is going to look GORGEOUS. I love yellow diamonds in yellow gold, and I think the yellow will compliment the rainbow of colors in the dark opal just beautifully.

Great choice!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you want the band to sit flush with this ring, I'm not sure how much of the band you will be able to see when the two rings are stacked together. However, based on the fact that this is a 2 sided pave ring, I would presume that the wedding band is plain, so it's probably not as issue. I would go for something as low as possible and with small melees, which will allow the dark opal to really pop.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock

the_universe|1409770241|3744179 said:
maccers|1409769830|3744173 said:

I have not considered it. Can you show me some pics of ones you think are done well?

There are PSers who are much more educated about halos (and the decisions that come with getting a halo) than me and hopefully they will chime in but for starters:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mahenge-spinel-from-swala-in-a-halo-by-victor-canera.165988/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mahenge-spinel-from-swala-in-a-halo-by-victor-canera.165988/[/URL]

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/4ct-cushion-in-steven-kirsch-halo-setting.165905/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/4ct-cushion-in-steven-kirsch-halo-setting.165905/[/URL]

And an entire thread for halos: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-collection-of-halos.121549/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-collection-of-halos.121549/[/URL]

diamondenvy1

Rough_Rock
Trade

Love that you are creating something so unique! If she requested a diamond halo to add sparkle, maybe go with the bigger diamonds all around? It will catch more light and give her the bling effect she's looking for.

the_universe

Rough_Rock

How big would you say the diamonds should be?

the_universe

Rough_Rock

anyone else have any input before I pull the trigger? As of right now Im planning on going with option 1 for the halo size as I want the halo diamonds to be as big as possible without overpowering the center. Also I plan to change the following:

1) lowering the halo just enough to allow a simple wedding band to slide under the halo and fit next to the shank.
2) change the double prongs to single prongs

Concerning the prongs, I dont understand why anyone would chose double prong as it hides more of the center stone. Is there a reason for this style of prong?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If I were doing a single row of pave, I would go with 1 pointers. If going with a 2 sided halo, I might go a bit smaller in size. Due to the size of the opal, having double prongs is likely to be slightly more secure in even that if a prong becomes bent or loose, you have the other 7 left to hold it in place.

the_universe

Rough_Rock

OK so here is a CAD with 1.1mm yellow diamonds on the top and sides. thoughts?

option_3.png

My concern is that sometimes I see halo rings and the halo diamonds are so dainty that they dont really catch the light that well. I know that 1.1 mm melee isnt necessarily considered small but i still worry about that stuff.

Perhaps 1.5 mm top and bottom will be best since a few of you think that even option 1 (1.7mm top and 1.5mm sides) is too large and distracting

the_universe

Rough_Rock

btw absolutely changing the prong to claw prong style and lowering halo as much as possible. Concerning the prongs my jeweler says that he doesnt feel comfortable doing single prongs on a stone this soft as double prongs are less stressful during the setting process (is this true or BS?)

also still leaning towards option 1 with regards to diamond halo size or smaller; considering 1.5x1.5 or maybe even smaller.

I meet with jeweler tomorrow. Will also discuss with him different pave styles to show off the yellow diamonds the best. I think the current style is too "heavy" looking.

anymore input would be great. Thanks

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The reason some small diamonds don't catch light well isn't the size but due to the cut. I have seen both well cut and poorly cut melee in those sizes and the quality of cut is what makes the difference. I've responded to your single vs double prongs question in your other thread.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

I love this ring personally but for a RHR and not an ering. You do know opals are soft right and not meant to be worn daily? I'm surprised no one has mentioned this first- that is why you never see them for erings. Because your lovely lady will probably chip it and ruin it where as other stones (diamonds, sapphires, spinels) hold up better. I would really caution you against this for an ering.

the_universe

Rough_Rock

SB621|1410439066|3748947 said:
I love this ring personally but for a RHR and not an ering. You do know opals are soft right and not meant to be worn daily? I'm surprised no one has mentioned this first- that is why you never see them for erings. Because your lovely lady will probably chip it and ruin it where as other stones (diamonds, sapphires, spinels) hold up better. I would really caution you against this for an ering.

a lot of people wear opals every day. in the usa a major reason why u dont see them is marketing imo.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

the_universe

Rough_Rock

no. its just a good quality opal.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results