shape
carat
color
clarity

Need expert advice on investing in Diamonds

wassupdude82

Rough_Rock
Hello ,

I am planning to propose to my girlfriend and selecting a diamond for the ring has become the most stressful thing I have ever encountered in my life. I am brain dead and tired of doing all the research and unable to make up my mind and here I am.

My concerns:

Diamonds don't appreciate in value and are not resale material, then why invest 2-3k for a "okay" looking diamond? The jewellery store said they don't buy back diamonds if I plan to upgrade instead they will match the cost of the diamond for my next diamond.

1 karat or less I don't get the certification from the seller

Should I invest in Mossionate Diamonds instead provided they are worthless and buy costlier platinum band so that if we are in a situation where we have to sell our ring (unthinkable hardship) atleast there will be roi for the band?

Even the lab created diamonds have the same story and much worse, no one even wants to touch them.

Concerns about where my diamond comes from, will I be helping terrorist fund a war, or falling prey to De Beer's world order.

Please help me with my research, this is too stress full.

or am I thinking too much?

I am looking for atleast a 1 karat weight diamond. The budget is around $4k (it will be great if I can the whole right in that budget). It has to be a solitaire and not little diamonds clubbed together.

Lookinghard

Rough_Rock
Whoa, are you looking to invest in diamonds as the title suggests or just buy a diamond engagement ring for your girlfriend? Two entirely different things.

If what you want is an investment that will appreciate in value at a reasonable rate, don't buy diamonds. Buy stocks or real estate.

If what you want is to buy the most beautiful diamond ring with your budget to propose to your girlfriend, then you really shouldn't worry about ROI. You should learn about the Kimberly process to address your ethical concerns, learn about the 4 C's to determine what you want in a diamond and learn about the certification labs to make sure you are getting what you're paying for.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wassupdude82|1409679331|3743470 said:
Hello ,

I am planning to propose to my girlfriend and selecting a diamond for the ring has become the most stressful thing I have ever encountered in my life. I am brain dead and tired of doing all the research and unable to make up my mind and here I am.

My concerns:

Diamonds don't appreciate in value and are not resale material, then why invest 2-3k for a "okay" looking diamond? The jewellery store said they don't buy back diamonds if I plan to upgrade instead they will match the cost of the diamond for my next diamond.
Diamonds are not an investment. Do not buy a diamond expecting it to appreciate in value, or get you more money than you paid for it. However you worded this in away that makes me think you arent so much buying as an "investment" as you are trying to get the best diamond for your money. If the latter is the case, that is workable. as for value, you can buy a stone from a reputable dealer with an upgrade policy that if you do want to trade in, they will give you the value of the stone.

1 karat or less I don't get the certification from the seller
dont buy from that seller! your stone should come with a cert. Make sure its GIA or GIA if you are buying a round

Should I invest in Mossionate Diamonds instead provided they are worthless and buy costlier platinum band so that if we are in a situation where we have to sell our ring (unthinkable hardship) atleast there will be roi for the band?
we cannot talk mossies here, but just know those are not diamonds

Even the lab created diamonds have the same story and much worse, no one even wants to touch them.
only but your girlfriend a lab created diamond if thats what she asked for
Concerns about where my diamond comes from, will I be helping terrorist fund a war, or falling prey to De Beer's world order.
Diamonds sold in the united states are required to be conflict free. However, your second comment makes it seem lie you do not value diamonds. If your girlfriend does, youre going to have to get over the fact you think diamonds are overpriced. At this point, diamonds cost what they cost. If she wants one, youll have to pay for one.
Please help me with my research, this is too stress full.

or am I thinking too much?

I am looking for atleast a 1 karat weight diamond. The budget is around $4k (it will be great if I can the whole right in that budget). It has to be a solitaire and not little diamonds clubbed together.

Your budget is very low for a 1 ct well cut round near colorless diamond. You can get close though

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.90-carat-j-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-366885

Otherwise, youll need to shop for a fancy shape.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results