shape
carat
color
clarity

Montana sapphire storefronts in NYC?

Vidalia

Shiny_Rock
My boyfriend and I have begun a search for a blue-green sapphire for a ring for me and it's been difficult finding any candidates to see in person in our area. (We're serious buyers, but he's understandably less than enthused about making an online purchase for a type of gem that he's never seen in real life.)

In a couple of weeks we will be visiting New York City, however.

Can anyone please recommend vendors in the city who may have blue-green sapphires (for example, but not necessarily limited to, Montana sapphires) available for customers to see in person?

Recognizing the mixed reviews on this forum, would you recommend visiting the Natural Sapphire Company?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It may be worth your time to visit NSC, to see what is available and to gauge your likes/dislikes, understanding that NSC is typically the most expensive vendor around and many stones have cut issues.

Vidalia

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the advice, Chrono. If we visit NSC, I will indeed keep in mind the important caveats you've raised.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vidalia|1409668413|3743333 said:
My boyfriend and I have begun a search for a blue-green sapphire for a ring for me and it's been difficult finding any candidates to see in person in our area. (We're serious buyers, but he's understandably less than enthused about making an online purchase for a type of gem that he's never seen in real life.)

In a couple of weeks we will be visiting New York City, however.

Can anyone please recommend vendors in the city who may have blue-green sapphires (for example, but not necessarily limited to, Montana sapphires) available for customers to see in person?

Recognizing the mixed reviews on this forum, would you recommend visiting the Natural Sapphire Company?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

I think PrimaGems in NYC carries a selection of Thailand and Madagascar Sapphires - if you contacted them ahead of time and scheduled an appointment, I am pretty certain they could pull a selection of greenish-blue/bluish-green Sapphires for you.

Vidalia

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Marymm!

It's my understanding that Prima sells solely wholesale. If that's correct, how do appointments with end-use buyers work?
Assuming we find a sapphire with Prima, we'd be happy to work with one of their preferred retail jewelers as we'll need to secure a setting anyways, but how will we understand the cost of the sapphire prior to selecting it?

Thanks for everyone's input, and I apologize if these questions are elementary.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prima will sell to individuals but needs an appointment ahead of time to line up the stones for you to view. You can buy the stone, then bring it to the jeweller of your choice to set it in the setting of your choice. You will be the end-buyer so you will know the actual cost of the stone.

Vidalia

Shiny_Rock
Thanks again for the guidance, Chrono.
Even though they are in different parts of the country, I think I had confused Prima and Pala. Oops!

S

SparkliesLuver

Although I can't be of assistance with NYC storefronts, I would like put in a request for pictures of whatever you find. :naughty: Blue-green sapphires are one of my favorites!

Oh, one thing to mention: Nomad has an office in NYC. :love: :love: I'd go just to drool, although I'm sure that'd be frowned upon.

Vidalia

Shiny_Rock
Bumping this thread to find out if there are any other suggestions for viewing blue-green sapphires in NYC. Thanks again for the responses already provided!

BTW, I looked on the Prima website and didn't see anything that would meet my size, cut preferences. Do they tend to have more in-store stock than is posted online? (I ask because I'm trying to gauge whether or not it's a worthwhile use of their time to request an appointment.)

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Most businesses do not put their entire inventory online. The more specific your gem search, the easier for them to tell you if they have any. Email them and ask if they have those gems that match what you want...................base your appointment on the answer you get. Let them know you want to avoid wasting time...theirs and yours! Good luck!!

Vidalia

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the input, DigDeep! I'm going to follow your advice and write them.
Per request, if we end up having any appointments with vendors that permit sharing of photos, I'll post them for PSers.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Good Luck and HAVE SOME FUN!!! :love:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Looking forward to an update after your expedition!

Vidalia

Shiny_Rock
Here's a follow-up to close the loop on this thread and thank the folks who offered advice.
Our trip to New York City was a bust sapphire-wise. Natural Sapphire Company didn't have any sapphires with a combination of color, cut, clarity, and price that I found acceptable. I was so underwhelmed that I didn't even take any pictures. I will say in their defense, however, that they were very upfront about treatments and, also, what we are looking for -- a blue-green, precision radiant- or emerald-cut sapphire -- isn't really their bread-and-butter business.
Prima was communicative and helpful via email, but the day I'd hoped to have visit them ended up being filled with work, rather than fun.

The good news is, you'll still be getting some sapphire photos from me in a future thread... I think we've found our "gem".... TBD!

Thanks again for your help.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results