shape
carat
color
clarity

PP Tahitian pearls on sale!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fly Girl, I totally agree with you. My take on it is that there is a design style similarity between the two strands....that the unique pattern of pearl placement in terms of size and colour and relationship between light and dark is likely a style signature of the person who designed the strands (and that it is highly likely that the same person designed both). So while they are clearly two distinct pieces, there is a familiarity of feeling (design) between the two. I might be imagining things, but I thought I might have seen design similarities in these strands to crickets' tin cup (where there were patterns of three, two, and one woven through the strand...three on one side, two on the other, then two and one, and three and one).

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
It's puzzling. My strand "should" look more like cmd's than DMZ's. They were put on the website at the same time and probably made around the same time possibly by the same person from the same Tahitian inventory. There were two of these multi-color strands with the white Tahitians for sale simultaneously.

DMZ's was custom-made, separately, with his input and comments.

The bottom line is I was thrilled that my strand, which I missed out on originally and then caught as a return, bears a noticeable resemblance to DMZ's gorgeous "guilt" strand. I was so surprised and tickled -- since I envied his wife!

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
cmd2014|1409587007|3742876 said:
Fly Girl, I totally agree with you. My take on it is that there is a design style similarity between the two strands....that the unique pattern of pearl placement in terms of size and colour and relationship between light and dark is likely a style signature of the person who designed the strands (and that it is highly likely that the same person designed both). So while they are clearly two distinct pieces, there is a familiarity of feeling (design) between the two. I might be imagining things, but I thought I might have seen design similarities in these strands to crickets' tin cup (where there were patterns of three, two, and one woven through the strand...three on one side, two on the other, then two and one, and three and one).

That would be Hisano's design.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Bsomlo, I think your new strand looks very elegant on your neck. Those smooth drops are gorgeous, and the color palette and length provide a whole new look to your pearl wardrobe. It looks wonderful with your purple dress and will probably look great with most fall colors.

Cmd, I really like how your 2 peacock strands look together. I would ask PP if they can lengthen the blue-green strand to 18” and switch 1 or both clasps so you can link them together. Your multicolor strand looks great combined with your silver Tahitians to make a rope.

Baby Nurse, you have totally scored during this sale! The dark green body color, cherry overtone strand looks gorgeous on you. Several of the pearls have really beautiful shapes and color banding, and they really glow.

Icy_Jade, I think I will actually be the last to get my pearls (even though I picked them at the Ruckus before the sale officially started) because of my clasp indecision. Your strand has beautiful colors and luster. I look forward to seeing neck shots with the 20” length.

Dmz, that strand is stunning, and I can’t wait to see neck shots. Your wife’s jewelry radar must have been on when she decided to work from home that day, lol. So, how did she react when she saw the strand?

I think it is probable the same person at PP (maybe Hisano) designed Dmz’s and Bsomlo’s strands, as they have a very similar design sensibility.

The Tahitian sale and this thread have made for a very fun month. I hope there will be another big Tahitian sale next year (when I can afford to buy more again, lol). The September sale/thread should be awesome too.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
bsomlo|1409587182|3742877 said:
It's puzzling. My strand "should" look more like cmd's than DMZ's. They were put on the website at the same time and probably made around the same time possibly by the same person from the same Tahitian inventory. There were two of these multi-color strands with the white Tahitians for sale simultaneously.

DMZ's was custom-made, separately, with his input and comments.

The bottom line is I was thrilled that my strand, which I missed out on originally and then caught as a return, bears a noticeable resemblance to DMZ's gorgeous "guilt" strand. I was so surprised and tickled -- since I envied his wife!
I think yours and cmd's do look similar. You may be overanalyzing from a very small sample size. The symmetical pattern placement of pearls is there. Similar pearls on both sides of the strand, but not overly alike. A pleasing pattern to the eye. 8)

I would think that there could be several staff members at PP doing similar work as they are working in the same shop under the direction of the same designer. :))

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
renwea|1409372519|3741886 said:
Bsomlo....those multi's are gorgeous... The white pearls especially. I have one pearl that shades from dark to that wonderful white.
baby nurse...I'd like to see some closeups of those cherry overtones. Love them.

I'll take more closeups of the cherry overtones for you, renwea. Here's one to start.

cherrypeacock.jpg

Kay

Ideal_Rock
CRDKeshi|1409277491|3741121 said:
Hi Kay,

Have you seen this clasp (hope the photo shows up) ? The Monday following the Ruckus, I went back to visit Hisano and reconfirm my pearl decisions. I had a strand of larger round multi-color Tahitians held aside and a last minute addition of a smaller strand in the same color range. I wanted to be able to wear each strand alone or nested, and was planning to go with a 2 - 3" extender for versatility ... until ... we decided the strands looked great together as a rope :) Back to the drawing board on clasps ... Hisano (patient soul :) brought out a variety of clasps and we did a 3 Bears routine ... Ball clasps too hard for my hands to use, Diamond Equestrian clasps beautiful but out of the budget ... and then she brought out this lovely gold oval link clasp and it was just right! When closed you can hardly tell it's a clasp; looks like 2 pretty oval gold links. Although the high polished clasps were in stock, Hisano was kind enough to special order 2 in brushed/matte yellow gold for improved dexterity, and they should be here shortly ... can't wait :)

Hi CRDKeshi! :wavey:

I had not seen that clasp at PP before -- it's not on the website. It's very pretty, and I bet it will look even better in brushed gold. It does look more like decorative links than a clasp. I can't wait to see neck shots of your rope.

How big are the loops on the clasp? I am wondering if the opening loop can fit between 2 pearls to act as a shortener or allow the rope to be worn lariat style, or if the loops are big enough that the pearls would just slide through. Would you mind telling me the price of the clasp?

When I was looking for clasps, I found something similar on the Bella website, but only in rhodium plated silver, not gold. Since the silver clasps are $20 each, maybe I should just ask PP if they would string the pearls with the silver clasps so I can try out the style. Then, once I decide whether I prefer link clasps to allow a rope, or extenders to allow different lengths of double strands, I can upgrade to gold clasps in the right style. (Or maybe just keep the silver, since a lot of people mistake white gold for silver anyway, lol.)

https://www.bellafindings.com/29807/rhodium-sterling-silver-22x18mm-oval-interlock-clasp.html

Does the entire strand have to be re-strung to change out the clasp?

pp_orbit_or_hook_and_eye.jpg

Kay

Ideal_Rock
baby nurse|1409592862|3742912 said:
renwea|1409372519|3741886 said:
Bsomlo....those multi's are gorgeous... The white pearls especially. I have one pearl that shades from dark to that wonderful white.
baby nurse...I'd like to see some closeups of those cherry overtones. Love them.

I'll take more closeups of the cherry overtones for you, renwea. Here's one to start.

I love the pearl at the middle of that picture -- it has such a great shape, as well as the lovely cherry overtone.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Kay|1409613654|3743070 said:
Hi CRDKeshi! :wavey:

I had not seen that clasp at PP before -- it's not on the website. It's very pretty, and I bet it will look even better in brushed gold. It does look more like decorative links than a clasp. I can't wait to see neck shots of your rope.

How big are the loops on the clasp? I am wondering if the opening loop can fit between 2 pearls to act as a shortener or allow the rope to be worn lariat style, or if the loops are big enough that the pearls would just slide through. Would you mind telling me the price of the clasp?

When I was looking for clasps, I found something similar on the Bella website, but only in rhodium plated silver, not gold. Since the silver clasps are $20 each, maybe I should just ask PP if they would string the pearls with the silver clasps so I can try out the style. Then, once I decide whether I prefer link clasps to allow a rope, or extenders to allow different lengths of double strands, I can upgrade to gold clasps in the right style. (Or maybe just keep the silver, since a lot of people mistake white gold for silver anyway, lol.)

https://www.bellafindings.com/29807/rhodium-sterling-silver-22x18mm-oval-interlock-clasp.html

Does the entire strand have to be re-strung to change out the clasp?

Hi Kay,
I can't find them on Bellafindings' website but Riogrande.com carries them. They are listed under hook and eye clasps: 14K, 18K in white and yellow gold.
http://www.riogrande.com/category/findings-and-finished-jewelry/132/clasps/486/gold/1902/hook-and-eye/3650/

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Got a glamour shot!!
I love all the colors, I am very excited! I'm hoping it isn't to muted when I get to though, since it was a very very dark green color in other shots.

This is shipping with my Torsade and Tincup so I am very anxious for this package. Will be shipping tomorrow! =) =) =)

sep_01_2014_copy.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
What about your tornado? (Tee hee)

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am really excited for you, ckrickett! I can't wait to see your purchases :appl:

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kay, thank you for the kind words! I hope you pick the clasp CRDkeshi recommends, it's really pretty.

CRDkeshi, your rope sounds incredibly gorgeous! I'm sure you mentioned it but my brain was so crammed with pearls a month ago, I don't remember. I love that clasp, you were lucky to see it in person.

Post pics as soon as you get your special piece!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
bsomlo|1409618279|3743103 said:
What about your tornado? (Tee hee)
My lovely tornado and tin cup are going to bbe shipped along with this! :praise: :lickout: :lol: :lol:

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
baby nurse|1409618702|3743104 said:
I am really excited for you, ckrickett! I can't wait to see your purchases :appl:
Thanks!!! I am way excited too

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ckrickett, it looks beautiful! Can't wait to see it on you!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kay, I have a request in to lengthen both my blue-green and my multi-colour strands to 18 inches as I'm finding the 17 that they both are a bit too short. I would like my blue greens to nest better with my peacock strand, and the multis look nice but feel a bit chokey for my liking. I just think 18 would drape better for them. Hopefully they won't charge me extra to make them the 18 inch length I was hoping they would be.

I decided to pass on the 50 inch rope. The blue-green pearls were so tempting (as was the near round strand that just came up tonight...must have been a return), but fiscal responsibility won out. Not so much that I didn't buy another silver blue strand though which will hopefully go well in a double strand with my existing one. Who could resist that price point!

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Ckrickett, gorgeous Tahitian strand! I bet you are going to jump the Fed Ex guy for that package of happiness.

HHPmom, thank you so much for the link to those clasps at Rio Grande.

Baby nurse, I think the clasp CRDkeshi posted may be just the ticket.

Rio Grande has those clasps in either 23 mm or 31 mm total length (no mention of width). I can’t decide whether yellow gold or white gold will look better with this strand. I wear more WG, and I planned to use WG clasps because I have a pair of WG and pave diamond hoop earring findings I was going to use to make a matching pair of earrings. However, the YG clasps other people are posting look really good with the dark Tahitians. Since the clasps will be visible sometimes, the choice of color is more important than usual. WWYD?

The 35" outer strand is the one I'm talking about.

rio_g_wg__23_or_31_mm__2.png

rio_g_yg__23_or_31_mm__2.png

tahitians__ruckus_2014_3.jpg

Kay

Ideal_Rock
cmd2014|1409628428|3743181 said:
Kay, I have a request in to lengthen both my blue-green and my multi-colour strands to 18 inches as I'm finding the 17 that they both are a bit too short. I would like my blue greens to nest better with my peacock strand, and the multis look nice but feel a bit chokey for my liking. I just think 18 would drape better for them. Hopefully they won't charge me extra to make them the 18 inch length I was hoping they would be.

I decided to pass on the 50 inch rope. The blue-green pearls were so tempting (as was the near round strand that just came up tonight...must have been a return), but fiscal responsibility won out. Not so much that I didn't buy another silver blue strand though which will hopefully go well in a double strand with my existing one. Who could resist that price point!

Yes, it is hard to resist a good double strand. :naughty:

The new 50" near round strand is very tempting. I think I am going to wait to see the harvest ropes. If I had an extra $3K to spend, these 2 round strands have gorgeous colors:

18-inch AAA 10.2-11.9 mm Tahitian Round Pearl Necklace
This striking strand of Tahitian pearls features green to aubergine bodycolors with cherry and peacock overtones. The pearls are perfectly round and exhibit clean surfaces and a mirror-like luster.
Code:
http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-4015-18-inch-aaa-102-119-mm-tahitian-round-pearl-necklace.aspx

18-inch AA+/AAA 10.1-11.9 mm Tahitian Round Pearl Necklace
This large strand of Tahitian pearls features a deep, dark bodycolor with striking cherry and green overtones. The cherry combined with the dark bodycolor gives the pearls an almost ethereal, purple appearance. The pearls have a near-perfect surface and mirror-like luster
Code:
http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-3654-18-inch-aaaaa-101-119-mm-tahitian-round-pearl-necklace.aspx

I hope someone buys them so I can see neck shots.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Kay & Cmd: I caved to the near round strand. Gah. Doesn't help that I've been drooling over Baby nurse and Hhpmom's styling pics. :wall:
Think I will use the same Rio grande clasps too, but in WG since I never wear YG n all my accessories are in WG.

Anyway, figured that I don't intend to get another harvest rope, and already have two multi-colored ropes so a uniform colored rope makes sense (Ha! My excuse).

Details:
50-inch AA+ 7.7-12.0 mm Off-Round Tahitian Pearl Rope
This 50-inch strand of colorful, off-round Tahitian pearls exhibits an intense peacock orient over an dark green bodycolor. This is one of the most desired colors in Tahitian pearls. The pearls are very clean and the luster is mirror-like.

image_2264.jpg

image_2265.jpg

Now to mull over the extension length and arrangement... Below is a 37 inches rope. I measured and it looks like I need another 21 inches for another loop on the outside. If I use the rio grande clasp, I could always leave a bit to dangle downwards if it's too long so I'm thinking 60 inches... What do you ladies think?

To emulate the Andy Muller rope, I think fat drops at the ends would be fantastic since this rope is near round but with the Sep sale in sight, I'm not sure I wanna completely exhaust my funds.

image_2266.jpg

With this, I'm sure I'll be the last to get my strands from this sale. :tongue:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Icy Jade...yay! Can't wait to see the pictures! That was a good catch IMO! There are some advantages to your time shift after all, as those just popped up as I was going to bed. Talk about a last minute addition! Edit: I think the extra length is a good idea. 60 inches sounds about right for what you are thinking.

Kay, those are beautiful rounds. I'm sad to see the Tahitian sale end, but my wallet is going to be grateful.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for saving my wallet, Icy_Jade, lol. Since my other Tahitian strands are drops, that near round rope was mighty tempting!

It sounds like you need at least 58", and 60" would give you more flexibility if you want a little space between strands or a little lariat tail.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
It has been soooo much fun catching up on this thread! I know the sale is over but for those of you with items on the way I can't wait to see neck shots!

cmd2014 and bsomlo - Your combos are fantastic! Tahitians with Akoyas, fwp - amazing!

baby nurse - Your chubbies are so cute and colorful! Very nice buy!

dmz - I laughed when you said your wife caught you and of course she had to open them right away! What a gorgeous strand! She will love it forever.

During the PP sale I didn't see too many 26" strands so I've been working with Chenai (love her) on a 26" strand. Here's the glamour shot. They're 9-12 mm and I added a Senora clasp so I can wear enhancers off of it (especially with those pearl colors at the ends)!

I think when PP bought these lovely tahitian drops it allowed many of us to buy pearls we may not have had a chance to before. Obviously the pearl quality is outstanding and the strand designs exceptional. Congratulations to all!

aug_30_2014_copy.jpg

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pkinnew, those are beautiful. I love that they are just off round, and the colours are amazing. I can't wait to see it in neck shots.

There was only one baroque 26 inch strand that I thought about getting, but it sold early on (it was a lighter colour and a good price point). I had hoped it was someone from here, but no such luck it seems.

I made out exceptionally well in this sale. I am amazed by the quality of the drops I was able to get at this price point. Plus, I am excited to see the other strand of banded silver-blue Tahitians I impulsively bought last night.

18-inch AA+ 8.4-11.6 mm Tahitian Baroque Pearl Necklace
This beautiful strand of Tahitain pearls features a silver to blue bodycolor and varied overtones of pink and green. The pearls are lightly blemished and boast fantastic luster.

The finished strand will be double-knotted on color-matching silk and finished with a 14-karat gold ball clasp with either a polished finish or laser finish. The length of the necklace is approximately 18 inches.

The strand in the photo is the strand you will receive.

Here's the pictures:

So, goodbye Tahitian sale! You will be missed.

_21904.jpg

_21905.jpg

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kay, I'd go with the WG. I've done it with all of the dark strands that I've bought as I don't wear YG, and it looks really nice. It pulls the cooler tones from the pearls, I think. If you go with YG you'll be limited as to what of your other pieces it will work with.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Pkinnew: That looks fabulous. Pls post loads of pics when they arrive.

Kay: Funny, I was just thinking the same... That if someone got it in the interval while I was thinking over whether to buy, then my wallet is saved. Mind you, it was a good long interval of a few hours. :wink2:
Lariat tail sounds cute.

Cmd: Yeah, lots of pics when I finally get them. You too ya? :D

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Way to go, icy_jade and pkinnew and cmd2014! :clap:

I was wearing my 54" Tahitian rope doubled over the last few days, and I kept thinking that it would be nice to have another strand that laid closer to my throat for a triple look. :naughty: I have other Tahitian strands, but the color and shape differences are noticeable. :hand: Remembering the lessons from 4Ranch Girl about how you need to get the pearls you want when they are available :think: , I decided to spring for another strand of Tahitians. :dance:

I went with TAN200-832, which was the last strand of AAA drops in the sale. It is 9.1-11.1mm with a green body color and intense, colorful peacock overtones. The pearls exhibit clean surfaces and mirror-like luster.

The photos look like a great match to my 54" Tahitian rope. I'm waiting to hear back about getting it lengthened by an inch or so, but I know they are busy today launching the September sale.

tstrand4c.jpg

tstrand5c.jpg

tstrope.jpg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Fly girl: yay! That is a great strand! :appl:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Icy. BTW, I was looking again at the blog entry for the 5,600 pearls, and noticed that I nabbed the front strand from the "wave" blog photo. :dance:

peacock-drops-wave.jpg

dmz

Rough_Rock
Sorry, no pictures yet. It's winter here in Australia, and while it's not cold*, it still gets dark early. And they look a lot better in natural light. Hopefully I can get some action shots this weekend when we're both together in the daylight.

My wife loves them. And I think they look really good on her. Her new favourite thing to say is "my eyes are up here" (because I keep checking them out in different lighting).

Chenai was the one helping with the strand, and I believe Elia was involved as well. They ran with my input and came up with something I'm sure is better than what I could have done myself. So very happy with the results.

I haven't yet shipped back the original strand that was mistakenly sent. (Need to ask them a paperwork question, and was going to wait until after the mad rush of the connoisseur sale.) In comparing the two strands, the original strand:
- is mostly round/off-round
- is more graduated (the front pearls are a bit larger, the back pearls a bit smaller)
- has less intense colours
- some pearls have more blemishes (especially the front larger ones)

When you lay the two side-by-side, they look quite different (even to my untrained eyes). I'll try to take some comparison shots before packing it up to send back.

* Australians would call it cold. But it's not. :whistle:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results