shape
carat
color
clarity

Change "Ring" to "Bling" in "Men's Ring Eye Candy Folder"?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DoctorD

Rough_Rock
Or add a new thread with that title to make it more all-encompassing? Guys wear more than just rings -- cufflinks, bracelets, tie tacks, etc.

I love my new cufflinks:

diamcuffboth.jpg

Stats:

CUFFLINKS
Main stones: 4.04 carat emerald-cut diamonds

Cut Very Good
Clarity VS1
Color H
Symmetry Very Good
Fluorescence None
Polish Excellent
Table 64%
Depth 64%
Culet Small
Girdle Medium to Slightly Thick
LxW ratio 1.2
Measurements: 10.10mm x 8.40mm x 5.38mm

Surrounded by:
28 baguette stones (2.8 carats)

Sides (back)
1.8 carats

8.64 carats total each cufflink
17.28 carats both cufflinks

And a bling folder would be better for bracelets, too, like the one in my avatar pic:

bracelet_.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: Change "Ring" to "Bling" in "Men's Ring Eye Candy Folder

Those cuff links are to die for. Elegant and blingy. I just hope you don't wear them when making a power point presentation - each time the projector hit them, you would blind the audience.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

As long as you post them here first, so most of us will see them, you certainly can post other men's jewelry in that men's folder!

Incredible cufflinks! If you get tired of them, I'd love to make a ring out of one of them! :love:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock

VVVVVV Nice jewellry pieces... :clap: :clap: :drool:

DoctorD- if you would like to adopt me, i would love for you to do so. at least you know that your jewellry will also be appreciate by me!!! LOL

Hi DS- i will go halves with you on the cufflinks!!! but then again, you wouldnt want to destroy that setting, so maybe i would take those cufflinks as they are. that way, the setting lives!!!! :cheeky:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Your cufflinks are VERY cool!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Very nice!...Please post some hand shots of your rings and wrist shots of your watches... :appl:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade

gregchang35|1409634238|3743204 said:

DoctorD- if you would like to adopt me, i would love for you to do so. at least you know that your jewellry will also be appreciate by me!!! LOL

Hi DS- i will go halves with you on the cufflinks!!! but then again, you wouldnt want to destroy that setting, so maybe i would take those cufflinks as they are. that way, the setting lives!!!! :cheeky:

They would look great as pendants.

I love a man with tasteful bling, though, so I am glad they are cufflinks.

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock

I agree. . . equal opportunity sharing here! Click on the "report a concern" tab at the top to bring this to the attention of one of the site administrators.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Love the cufflinks!

sturgeon123456

Rough_Rock

DoctorD|1409623671|3743142 said:
Or add a new thread with that title to make it more all-encompassing? Guys wear more than just rings -- cufflinks, bracelets, tie tacks, etc.

Chains too!!! Am I the only guy that wears a chain still? They seem to have gone out of style :(

DoctorD

Rough_Rock

sturgeon123456|1409874299|3745059 said:

Chains too!!! Am I the only guy that wears a chain still? They seem to have gone out of style :(

I still wear chains. Pic of some of mine. Never during the week (under a shirt and tie) but for casual events.

1jewelryp1190187rdcd.jpg

Here's one guy who really likes them:

gold_man_of_pimpri_datta_phuge_nxbah.jpg

I guess he is known as "The gold man of Pimpri, India, Datta Phuge Nxbah

The article said his shirt is made out of gold and cost $250,000.

I would probably wear any ONE of those at a time.

DoctorD

Rough_Rock

Lady_Disdain|1409623954|3743143 said:
Those cuff links are to die for. Elegant and blingy. I just hope you don't wear them when making a power point presentation - each time the projector hit them, you would blind the audience.

Thanks very much, Lady Disdain!

Very funny about the power point! Maybe with practice, I could focus the reflected beam into the eyes of just one person -- someone who got on my nerves, for example. Turn them into weapons! Ha!

DoctorD

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1409624276|3743145 said:
Incredible cufflinks! If you get tired of them, I'd love to make a ring out of one of them! :love:

Do you find that when you first get something new, it's very exciting, and then after a period of months or years, it's not any more?

That's what keeps me buying new things.

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

+1 bling it on

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium

That is an easy fix. Please remember to post your own photos of your lovely items in that thread.

DoctorD

Rough_Rock

gregchang35|1409634238|3743204 said:

It's funny you say that, because a common topic of conversation with my wife lately is that all five of our kids are out of the house, now that our youngest just left for college. "Empty nest syndrome" -- it bothers us both. What are we going to do with five extra rooms in our main home and our vacation homes in Palm Springs and Big Bear? Sell them, I guess. We've talked about turning one room into a "Jewelry Room."

I'm thinking about starting a thread, "Is a passion for jewelry genetic or hereditary?" The reason is that of my four sons, one, my oldest, looks exactly like me -- almost identical -- and he's also the only son who really likes jewelry like I do. He returned home after college, but none of the others have or plan to. He is always asking to wear various pieces of my jewelry. If he takes a ring, I'm saying good bye to it pretty much forever, because he has to have it sized down substantially. His other interests parallel mine, too, for example, competitive bodybuilding. I was into that in college (while everyone else was partying and doing drugs, I was pumping iron), and my 20s, I competed. He is progressing faster on both counts than I did -- I was still wearing just gold jewelry in my early 20s, but he is already into diamonds. I competed, and won some trophies, but never first place. He already has a first-place trophy. His DNA must be more like mine (since he looks just like me), and might his interests be in his genes?

Anyone find any similar patterns in their families?

I always attend the contest when he competes. It's interesting how the gender-difference regarding jewelry is so pronounced in bodybuilding. Men are constantly told "no jewelry except wedding rings," and can be penalized if they wear anything else. On the other hand, the women fitness competitors all have diamond (or rhinestone) bracelets, necklaces, earrings, glittering from head to toe. I take my son's jewelry when he starts preparing to go on stage, hold it in what otherwise looks like a camera case, and give it back after the contest. Sometimes he wears it between the daytime pre-judging and the evening show. He makes an incredible sight -- his muscles oiled for the show, his masculine jewelry, his good looks. I enjoy watching all the women flirting with and approaching him. It's how I met my wife.

I've also noticed If I wear two diamond rings and a diamond bracelet, I'm often approached by many young women and men who are looking for sponsors. Bodybuilding is very expensive and all-consuming; many of the young ones could really use some support to achieve their goals. They have nothing to go on but what they see. Wealth (and thus the ability to sponsor) can't be demonstrated any other way for people just sitting in an audience than by jewelry, I guess.

Bodybuilding is a lot like wearing jewelry -- it polarizes people. People either love it or hate it. I got used to both reactions when I was seriously into bodybuilding. "Grotesque" was a word all bodybuilders hear at some point. They also hear "disgusting," but so do men who wear a lot of diamond jewelry. Bodybuilders learn to let the criticisms just roll off their backs, and focus on the positive reactions, which can be incredibly strong. It prepared me for the extremes in reactions I get from wearing jewelry.

But I digress. Adopt you, eh? How old are you? Maybe there's a position in my company for you. I moused over the last little yellow head you inserted, and it says, "drool." Ha! A positive reaction enjoyed by any jewelry-wearer, along with double-takes, staring, and rubbernecking! There's always an apprenticeship position for anyone who drools over my jewelry. Just kidding! Well, sort of.

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Ella said:
That is an easy fix. Please remember to post your own photos of your lovely items in that thread.

Nice Ella and DrD. I look forward to seeing more wedding and anniversary bling from men!

DoctorD

Rough_Rock

tyty333 said:
Love the cufflinks!
Dancing Fire said:
Very nice!...Please post some hand shots of your rings and wrist shots of your watches... :appl:
arkieb1 said:
Your cufflinks are VERY cool!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks very much to each of you!

Dancing Fire, the photographer and I are going to do some hand shots, next week, hopefully. I have this one:
bracelet_diamond_men_s_2.png

I have a question for everyone. Is there a way to look at all the photos of another user of the forums? Thanks.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

DoctorD|1409886475|3745186 said:
diamondseeker2006|1409624276|3743145 said:

Do you find that when you first get something new, it's very exciting, and then after a period of months or years, it's not any more?

That's what keeps me buying new things.
Yup!..like a new girl friend.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

DoctorD, some people here think you don't really own all the stuff you've posted in the Men'sBling thread pinned above.
Someone even started a thread about this on Pricescope's Hangout forum where various posters posted links to vendor pics identical to the pics you have posted of your jewelry.
(The pics of the emerald cut cufflinks match but the description on the vendor site does not match your description.)
Your credibility is understandably being challenged.

You could put their suspicions to rest quickly and easily.
Just pile up all the stuff you've posted and take one quick pic with your cellphone or a point and shoot.

Picture quality won't matter.
It being all in one pic will.
Photoshopping together many pics will be obvious.

Doing this will hush up the Debbie Doubters.
Not putting the jewelry together to take one single pic of it all will just feed the suspicions that you are just lifting these pics from the Internet and don't actually own any of it.
Of course, you are no obligation to do anything.

Sorry, but this is the nature of Internet fora.

sturgeon123456

Rough_Rock

DoctorD|1409885930|3745183 said:

I still wear chains. Pic of some of mine. Never during the week (under a shirt and tie) but for casual events.

1jewelryp1190187rdcd.jpg

Just awesome lol.....nice chains by the way and love the two tone daytona.....I guess there are others out there that wear chains and by the look of that guy he seems pretty happy :)

sturgeon123456

Rough_Rock

sturgeon123456|1409899659|3745240 said:

1jewelryp1190187rdcd.jpg

Just awesome lol.....nice chains by the way and love the two tone daytona.....I guess there are others out there that wear chains and by the look of that guy he seems pretty happy :)

OOOOOPS Just noticed that the watch is the furthest thing from a real Rolex.......bezel is wrong, subdials are arranged incorrectly etc etc, I happen to collect Rolexes and I looked at the photos again and noticed at least 20 things wrong with that watch

DoctorD

Rough_Rock

sturgeon123456|1409899796|3745242 said:
sturgeon123456|1409899659|3745240 said:

1jewelryp1190187rdcd.jpg

OOOOOPS Just noticed that the watch is the furthest thing from a real Rolex.......bezel is wrong, subdials are arranged incorrectly etc etc, I happen to collect Rolexes and I looked at the photos again and noticed at least 20 things wrong with that watch

I never suggested it was. I'd just seen this pic of my chains in my old Florida vacation pics when somebody asked about chains, and so I posted it for them. I think that watch may have been an Invicta. If I'm at the beach, like when this was taken, I don't always use my nicest things. No diamonds, either.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

kenny|1409897826|3745230 said:
DoctorD, some people here think you don't really own all the stuff you've posted in the Men'sBling thread pinned above.
Someone even started a thread about this on Pricescope's Hangout forum where various posters posted links to vendor pics identical to the pics you have posted of your jewelry.
(The pics of the emerald cut cufflinks match but the description on the vendor site does not match your description.)

Just pile up all the stuff you've posted and take one quick pic with your cellphone or a point and shoot.

Not putting the jewelry together to take one single pic of it all will just feed the suspicions that you are just lifting these pics from the Internet and don't actually own any of it.

:whistle: :whistle:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Andelain|1409992727|3745865 said:
kenny|1409897826|3745230 said:

:whistle: :whistle:

*crickets* :think: :think:

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock

:shifty:

DoctorD

Rough_Rock

Geez, chill out! The future of the world does not depend on a few jewelry pictures!

After a difficult event a few years ago, my wife was traumatized and my kids and I tried everything we could think of to help. I consulted with certain people in my life, and, not getting the answers I wanted, I turned to the Internet and found this group. Before I first came on this site I didn't even know forums existed. I have a busy life. I don't use the internet much. My tech abilities are very limited. I know what my strength is -- face to face negotiations, and that's what I've honed for 15 years. I haven't tried to be a Jack-of-all-Trades, in fact, my other skills have atrophied from lack of use. I rely on others -- my staff at work, my wife and kids at home -- to do almost everything else.

I'm familiar with the stereotypes about men who wear jewelry -- we're either gay or effeminate, among other things. I wanted to dispell that in my introduction of myself, so I mentioned my characteristics considered masculine (square jaw, strong chin, big hands) which prompted others to criticize me as vain, narcissistic, and conceited. I wrote a long first post, describing my problem, and asking for advice. I offered to have my jeweler make a little something if someone could provide me with "the answer." But that, too, was misinterpreted -- perceived as some kind of nefarious act with the evil intent of getting people's home addresses. A stranger who may be 3,000 miles away offers me some good advice, and I am going to what -- get on a plane and fly to them, rent a car, hunt down their exact address, and what -- kill them? I'm annoyed by people who always see themselves as victims or potential victims in their lives. Take control! If you don't want someone to have your home address, go to a UPS Store and rent a mailbox for a few dollars. Problem avoided!

To describe my situation clearly, I needed to say that I wear diamond jewelry. I didn't want to be perceived as selfish, so I explained that I took care of everyone in my life and put myself last--my wife has everything she wants, and pretty much so for my five kids, too. That was misinterpreted as bragging about being wealthy. Readers missed my point completely. Some said "super-rich," which is wrong. Super-rich have yachts and jets and I have none of that. Just the opposite, we went through some very lean times; it's only been in the last 10 years that my career has really taken off.

I think the world is sexist in that the general opionion is that it's okay for women to wear jewelry, but it's not for men. Some women who are so vocal about equal rights for women feel this way, which I think is hypocritical. I figure this site is 80-90% women, so I'm probably upsetting a lot of members by saying this. I thought this site would be a safe haven from all the prejudice and stereotypes in the real world, but it's not. It actually seems worse. Every post is scrutinized and analyzed as if it's a grand jury inquisition. For some people, I've learned, this site is their life, their world. Certain types of newcomers can upset the balance of power and set off a wave of antagonism. I think I'm way too controversial for this site. I noticed a few days after my first post that all the threads had like 50 views, and mine had over 1,000. I felt like I'd been tackled and every player on the other side was jumping on the pile on top of me. I thought, "to heck with this; its not for me." But the thing is, a couple of people did have good, helpful ideas. Problem is I had to wade through 50 insults to get to them.

I left for probably a couple of years. I did have another goal -- to perhaps befriend some men who enjoy jewelry as much as I do, hopefully similar to me. married and successful. Again, this has been perceived as some kind of sinister intent. Warning, warning, be careful, this guy wants to actually meet people, danger, danger! On one hand, people are saying I'm not an adult, not married, don't have kids, don't own jewelry, aren't a real person, but when I offer to meet in person -- which would be the best proof that I'm who I say I am, right? -- that's criticized too. It seems you can't win. What about this Las Vegas event? Don't people want to actually meet other members there? Should they all be accused of having evil intentions?

The internet has been a great disseminator of information, but I think it brings out the worst in people. It makes the world seem to be filled with angry, bitter, suspicious people who have no qualms about writing things about people that they wouldn't dare to say to their faces. Although I will defend myself if attacked, I'd never make of out-of-the-blue criticisms of someone I know nothing about.

Most of the criticisms are so unwarranted they seem absurd. I sit around in my underwear at my computer all day? Isn't that more appropriate for someone who's got 20,000 posts than someone who's got 40? I'll probably alienate more people by saying this, but there are only three reasons to have tens of thousands of posts--you work for the site, you work in the jewelry business, or you live in a rural area with few social opportunities. Otherwise, I think it's an indicator there is something really lacking in your life.

I mentioned on another post a few life lessons I learned in elementary school. I think some of the adults on this site have still not learned them. Attention: People don't like people who criticize others! Haven't you heard the sage advice, "Praise in public, criticize in private"? Criticizing someone in public is done with the intent of humiliating the person, which is cruel if not sadistic. If you do it behind their backs, you may get a couple of laughs, but people end up not trusting you and not liking you, because the logical conclusion is that you're probably doing it behind their backs, too. I would bet a 5-carat diamond that the people on here who go out of their way to criticize others are unsuccessful in life.

I can tell people don't even read my posts before attacking me, because they ask questions that I've already answered. They make statements that are flat-out wrong about me. I've never attacked a waiter or beat up someone smaller than myself. I'm not buying or selling watches, I'm not a mobster, I'm not a student working on a creative-writing project. The misinterpretations, twisting of my words, and false accusations are just ridiculous. From reading a few pages of my writing, it's concluded that I need psychiatric help? It's ironic that I'm accused of "breaking the site's rules," when one of the site's rules is not to attack people.

I think all these accusations and challenges here are unwarranted. I already have posted some group shots and hand shots:
jewelry_yellow_2_rdcdimg_1866.jpg bracelet_diamond_men_s_2.png

I've asked, "How do you post a large pic (prevent the image from being sized down so dramatically when posted)? That way you could zoom in on the individual pieces for detail." But no one has offerered any help.

No one has come forward in response to my writing, "The photographer and I are going to do shots of me wearing the jewelry next week. I suggested just resting my hands on my briefcase or desk, but he thinks it would be more dramatic to show 'action,' like holding a baseball bat or a football. I rejected the idea, because I only wear a lot of diamonds with a suit or tux. Any suggestions?" No one has been helpful and suggested anything, but some are writing that I "REFUSE to post hand shots." No one has been helpful regarding any of the other questions I've asked, such as 'Can you look at all of a person's photos?"

Each of the 4 or 5 times I've participated here, I've gone away thinking "to heck with it, it's not for me," but I get those pesky little emails because I subscribed to the Mens' Ring Eyecandy Folder. Often I don't even read them, but recently one caught my eye, the one that read, "There, I've said it, I'm a man who likes diamonds." I related to that and logged in for the first time in ages. I'd like to share thoughts with other men who like jewelry, discuss the etiquette, politics, and philosophies of men wearing jewelry, and perhaps to pick up a few witty retorts to criticism that are sometimes heard. I wrote something like, "It's weird that it seems to take a lot of courage for a man to say he likes diamonds." I made the mistake of adding a poor-quality snapshot of me with my new cufflinks. I'd used PhotoSuite to try to improve the pic. I mainly brightened up the jewelry and softened everything else. Maybe I didn't do it well. These photo-editing programs are considered "touching up", right? I've seen demonstrations of how dramatically "touched up" photos in magazines are. It's accepted and expected. Criticizing someone for doing it seems odd to me. But I get, "Your photos seem shopped!" I've tried to reverse the changes, and this is the result. Maybe I've messed it up even more, I'm not sure.

rings_cufflinksrdcd.jpg

As an analogy, I usually write my posts in Word. I re-read and edit my posts two or three times before posting them. Should I be criticized for that, as in, "Your posts seem so EDITED!" The critic of my photo was followed by others posting the yellow laughing heads, which means, I assume, "I'm laughing at you." Very nice. I was asked for more realistic photos. Now I wish I had ignored the request. Showing off my jewelry was never a reason for me to be on the site. I had almost no photos of my jewelry. I don't have a camera phone. We specifically don't allow them at my company for security reasons. I took the time and effort to have the professional photographer my company works with to meet with me to get some quality photos, and that's just led to more criticism.

Now here comes the big confession! I have four sons, and they are constantly borrowing my things. I did not have the Rolexes that best matched the other pieces being photographed. They must have borrowed them. The photographer suggested using stock photos, and I thought, why not, everybody knows what a Rolex looks like. There are probably 1,000 Rolexes within a two-mile perimeter of me, many of them the same models. So I fudged a little on the photos! Put me in jail! Crucify me! I just wanted to create a representation of a group of items I might wear (or have worn) as a collection of matching items. I didn't realize I was delivering testimony in front of a grand jury. Now I wish I hadn't bothered. I should have trusted my earlier thought that there's no worthwile reason to have photos of my jewelry.

I don't wear yellow gold much any more -- I started a thread on that topic if you think I'm lying. I haven't worn my yellow-gold-and-diamond wedding ring in months, if not years. It's not at my home here. It's probably locked up at our place in Palm Springs or Big Bear, along with several other things. I described it to him and he returned later with some prints of rings, and one looked just like mine, so I said to use that.

I don't get the whole, "It looks like someone else's, so it can't be yours." A lot of jewelry looks alike. Companies are always copying other company's styles. Thousands of identical pieces are made all the time. When I was thinking about the cufflinks, I told them I wanted a square center stone surrounded by smaller squares (I hate it that they're called "princess" cut -- I think squares look more masculine than round stones.) As usual, they came back with a few sketches and photos. (I have folders filled with sketches, photos from magazines or the internet, pictures people have given me. Several of them have been used by my jewelers to create similar or identical pieces for my wife, my colleagues, my friends, my kids, and me.) I'd never thought of emerald-cut surrounded by baguettes, but I liked the idea when they showed me. They may have used the ones from the link you inserted, or maybe there are a half-dozen other sites with similar stuff. (BTW, I certainly didn't pay anything even near what they cost on that website.)

A man was getting into his car when he was suddenly accosted by a very angry young man. "I can see about 20 different ways that your car is not a Mercedes!" he shouted. The car's owner responded, "That's very observant of you, Sherlock. That's because it's a Buick."

I draw a parallel to a similar situation here. I wear a lot of what I call "knock-around" jewelry in casual settings, when I don't want to potentially damage, or lose, something valuable. It includes plain wedding rings and inexpensive watches. I have a $20 tungsten wedding ring, because I wanted to see if it's true that they never scratch (does seem to be true). Sturgeon asked if anyone still wears chains. I posted an old pic showing a few of my chains. It had a watch in it, too. I made no claims about what kind of watch it was. I thought about trying to erase it, because it was irrelevant, but I figured I'd be criticized for changing a photo. Sturgeon replied that he loved my Rolex. Then he posts a second time, now angry, saying he counts 20 different ways that my watch is not a Rolex! I never said it was a Rolex! I looked around and found the watch in my photo to verify its brand, and it's a Helbros. It's style may be inspired by a Rolex, who knows. The name is next to the 3:00 position, covered by the red hand. I see a picture of the same model where the name's visible here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=helbros+watch&rlz=1C1SAVU_enUS540US540&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=890&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=vdkKVJa8OM6NyATkjYGADw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg#tbm=isch&q=helbros+chronograph+watch&imgdii=_

I think some of you could use anger management. Dancing Fire, you started an entire thread as an insult to me. You also revealed yourself to be the one who attacked me on another site. When I first discovered forums (this one), and had a bad experience, I looked around for another. I've only tried one other, the Rolex Forums. I've said I don't have many pics of my jewelry. I used my wedding ring pic from this site as an avatar temporarily, until I got a Rolex pic. I would've liked a pic showing both. I made one post--I asked guys to show pics of their Rolex and wedding ring. Right away, there was a paragraph-long post ranting and raving about what a pompous showoff I was, and I was banned. I knew it had to be someone from this site. So you are a moderator on rolex forums, Dancing Fire? It was obvious you have two screen names, because the two of you always support each other all over the site, which is against the rules. I looked at a few of your 20,000 threads here. It was easy to get a feel for your life. If you stay in hotels with dirty sheets, it gives an idea of your socio-economic status. You wear pinkie rings and paint your fingernails pink, but I won't comment on that because I don't want to sink to your level. Your many criticisms of me could be summarized as "I'm jealous." You project all of your own problems onto me. I grew beyond my self-esteem issues in high school. Sounds like you still have some.

I looked at the topics started by the first woman to criticize me this time. One of them was about how her private parts hurt when she woke up that morning. I can just imagine what would happen if I did that--a maelstrom of hate messages calling me a pervert and every other name in the book. But the gender-bias on this site was dramatically illustrated by all the sympathetic replies she got.

I'm very old-school when it comes to business and communication. I refuse to use email in business. I don't even like phone calls. I still much prefer the "old-fashioned" way of doing business, which is face-to-face. I will fly to another city rather than have a phone conversation. I consider texting to be absolutely ridiculous. It's estimated that 80% or more of a message is delivered through tone of voice, facial expression, and body language. All of that lost in texting and e-mailing, and most of it on the phone, which so often leads to misunderstandings.

Related to this is the statement I made that probably got the most ridicule. I stated that during business negotiations, I "talk with my hands" a lot. I have truly come to believe that the flashing of the diamonds on my hands creates a compelling force, almost like a hypnotic effect. I can see it slowly happening in the other person's eyes -- first looking only at my eyes, then glancing at my hands now and then, then looking more at my hands than my eyes, then looking only at my hands, then what seems to be a slowing in their breathing and a lack of focus in their eyes. They seem to become more malleable, more easily influenced or convinced. I thought maybe some jewelry enthusiasts would be interested in that, maybe even relate similar thoughts or experiences. But instead I was treated like I belong in a mental institution. What a great loss for all the diamond-wearers who aren't harnessing the powers their diamonds hold.

The last time I was into using cameras and taking pictures was in my 20s for a sport I was involved in. I wanted to document all the changes going on. Photography was very different then -- we used film, for one thing. I never felt a need to have photographs of my jewelry. I mean, what for? To point to a 2-D picture with a hand wearing 3-D versions of the jewelry in the pics? It stays the same; there are no changes to document. The photographer mentioned PhotoShop a few times; I'm not sure how he used it.

When I first joined this site, I thought at some point someone would say they had seen me at the jewelry center downtown, as I go so often, and have for so many years. That's where my jewelers work.

It's a shame that there's so little info about users on this site. It would be nice to know everyone's gender and approximate age, and where they live. And I think it's a huge omission on this site not to allow private messages, so evrything you say is not subject to the intense scrutiny of people who may have paranoid tendencies, poor judgement, or just enjoy making fun of people.

I've had thoughts about jewelry that I'd like to throw out to the group by starting a thread on them in hopes of being interested by the reactions, comments and insight from others. For example, asking about psychological and/or physiological reactions when shopping for, or buying, new jewelry (quickening of heartbeat, dilating of pupils, intensified feelings of love for the person buying it for you or for the person you're buying it for), and whether or not jewelry ever plays a part in the physical relationship between you and your loved one, but I think that would be WAY too controversial for this group and, I think it would just set me up for more abuse.

I also wish someone with website skills would create a website devoted simply to people wanting to meet, in person, other people who like to wear jewelry. Oh, I'm sure that will evoke a lot of "he wants to hit them over the head and steal their jewelry," but like 99% of the criticism on this site, it's way off base.

I've put this message aside several times to think about it. Each time I think of more things to say. I'm sure the critics are saying its too long. I've been criticized for that before. Someone wrote, "I should get a medal just for reading the whole thing, which several people thought was hilarious. If you feel that way, newsflash: Don't read it!

I've scrolled through some discussions and I can't believe how many people will write "lol" or "I agree" or "+1" as if there's some value to that, or as if anyone cares if some unknown individual in the boondocks agrees or not. In my opinion it's just a waste of space and a waste of people's time to have to scroll through it.

I have only 40 posts, and I wouldn't even have that many if it weren't for the fact that at one point I thought it would be enjoyable to go to the Las Vegas event, and I found out I neede to have 50 posts to qualify. I could have put "lol" on the first 50 posts I saw, but I would be disappointed in myself. The 50-post qualification is to prove that you're a real person, with real thoughts, and something worthwhile to contribute. A monkey or a robot could write "lol" 50 times. But I just couldn't find more than a half-dozen discussions where I thought I could make a valuable contribution. I realize this post is now extremely long, but it contains months of thoughts. I could go a year without another post, until somebody writes something I relate to, and when I come back to say something, the posters with 20,000 posts today will have 30,000 posts then. But will they be worth the time to write them and for everybody to read them? I doubt it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

DoctorD|1410207250|3747166 said:
Geez, chill out! The future of the world does not depend on a few jewelry pictures!

After a difficult event a few years ago, my wife was traumatized and my kids and I tried everything we could think of to help. I consulted with certain people in my life, and, not getting the answers I wanted, I turned to the Internet and found this group. Before I first came on this site I didn't even know forums existed. I have a busy life. I don't use the internet much. My tech abilities are very limited. I know what my strength is -- face to face negotiations, and that's what I've honed for 15 years. I haven't tried to be a Jack-of-all-Trades, in fact, my other skills have atrophied from lack of use. I rely on others -- my staff at work, my wife and kids at home -- to do almost everything else.

I'm familiar with the stereotypes about men who wear jewelry -- we're either gay or effeminate, among other things. I wanted to dispell that in my introduction of myself, so I mentioned my characteristics considered masculine (square jaw, strong chin, big hands) which prompted others to criticize me as vain, narcissistic, and conceited. I wrote a long first post, describing my problem, and asking for advice. I offered to have my jeweler make a little something if someone could provide me with "the answer." But that, too, was misinterpreted -- perceived as some kind of nefarious act with the evil intent of getting people's home addresses. A stranger who may be 3,000 miles away offers me some good advice, and I am going to what -- get on a plane and fly to them, rent a car, hunt down their exact address, and what -- kill them? I'm annoyed by people who always see themselves as victims or potential victims in their lives. Take control! If you don't want someone to have your home address, go to a UPS Store and rent a mailbox for a few dollars. Problem avoided!

To describe my situation clearly, I needed to say that I wear diamond jewelry. I didn't want to be perceived as selfish, so I explained that I took care of everyone in my life and put myself last--my wife has everything she wants, and pretty much so for my five kids, too. That was misinterpreted as bragging about being wealthy. Readers missed my point completely. Some said "super-rich," which is wrong. Super-rich have yachts and jets and I have none of that. Just the opposite, we went through some very lean times; it's only been in the last 10 years that my career has really taken off.

I think the world is sexist in that the general opionion is that it's okay for women to wear jewelry, but it's not for men. Some women who are so vocal about equal rights for women feel this way, which I think is hypocritical. I figure this site is 80-90% women, so I'm probably upsetting a lot of members by saying this. I thought this site would be a safe haven from all the prejudice and stereotypes in the real world, but it's not. It actually seems worse. Every post is scrutinized and analyzed as if it's a grand jury inquisition. For some people, I've learned, this site is their life, their world. Certain types of newcomers can upset the balance of power and set off a wave of antagonism. I think I'm way too controversial for this site. I noticed a few days after my first post that all the threads had like 50 views, and mine had over 1,000. I felt like I'd been tackled and every player on the other side was jumping on the pile on top of me. I thought, "to heck with this; its not for me." But the thing is, a couple of people did have good, helpful ideas. Problem is I had to wade through 50 insults to get to them.

I left for probably a couple of years. I did have another goal -- to perhaps befriend some men who enjoy jewelry as much as I do, hopefully similar to me. married and successful. Again, this has been perceived as some kind of sinister intent. Warning, warning, be careful, this guy wants to actually meet people, danger, danger! On one hand, people are saying I'm not an adult, not married, don't have kids, don't own jewelry, aren't a real person, but when I offer to meet in person -- which would be the best proof that I'm who I say I am, right? -- that's criticized too. It seems you can't win. What about this Las Vegas event? Don't people want to actually meet other members there? Should they all be accused of having evil intentions?

The internet has been a great disseminator of information, but I think it brings out the worst in people. It makes the world seem to be filled with angry, bitter, suspicious people who have no qualms about writing things about people that they wouldn't dare to say to their faces. Although I will defend myself if attacked, I'd never make of out-of-the-blue criticisms of someone I know nothing about.

Most of the criticisms are so unwarranted they seem absurd. I sit around in my underwear at my computer all day? Isn't that more appropriate for someone who's got 20,000 posts than someone who's got 40? I'll probably alienate more people by saying this, but there are only three reasons to have tens of thousands of posts--you work for the site, you work in the jewelry business, or you live in a rural area with few social opportunities. Otherwise, I think it's an indicator there is something really lacking in your life.

I mentioned on another post a few life lessons I learned in elementary school. I think some of the adults on this site have still not learned them. Attention: People don't like people who criticize others! Haven't you heard the sage advice, "Praise in public, criticize in private"? Criticizing someone in public is done with the intent of humiliating the person, which is cruel if not sadistic. If you do it behind their backs, you may get a couple of laughs, but people end up not trusting you and not liking you, because the logical conclusion is that you're probably doing it behind their backs, too. I would bet a 5-carat diamond that the people on here who go out of their way to criticize others are unsuccessful in life.

I can tell people don't even read my posts before attacking me, because they ask questions that I've already answered. They make statements that are flat-out wrong about me. I've never attacked a waiter or beat up someone smaller than myself. I'm not buying or selling watches, I'm not a mobster, I'm not a student working on a creative-writing project. The misinterpretations, twisting of my words, and false accusations are just ridiculous. From reading a few pages of my writing, it's concluded that I need psychiatric help? It's ironic that I'm accused of "breaking the site's rules," when one of the site's rules is not to attack people.

I think all these accusations and challenges here are unwarranted. I already have posted some group shots and hand shots:
jewelry_yellow_2_rdcdimg_1866.jpg bracelet_diamond_men_s_2.png

I've asked, "How do you post a large pic (prevent the image from being sized down so dramatically when posted)? That way you could zoom in on the individual pieces for detail." But no one has offerered any help.

No one has come forward in response to my writing, "The photographer and I are going to do shots of me wearing the jewelry next week. I suggested just resting my hands on my briefcase or desk, but he thinks it would be more dramatic to show 'action,' like holding a baseball bat or a football. I rejected the idea, because I only wear a lot of diamonds with a suit or tux. Any suggestions?" No one has been helpful and suggested anything, but some are writing that I "REFUSE to post hand shots." No one has been helpful regarding any of the other questions I've asked, such as 'Can you look at all of a person's photos?"

Each of the 4 or 5 times I've participated here, I've gone away thinking "to heck with it, it's not for me," but I get those pesky little emails because I subscribed to the Mens' Ring Eyecandy Folder. Often I don't even read them, but recently one caught my eye, the one that read, "There, I've said it, I'm a man who likes diamonds." I related to that and logged in for the first time in ages. I'd like to share thoughts with other men who like jewelry, discuss the etiquette, politics, and philosophies of men wearing jewelry, and perhaps to pick up a few witty retorts to criticism that are sometimes heard. I wrote something like, "It's weird that it seems to take a lot of courage for a man to say he likes diamonds." I made the mistake of adding a poor-quality snapshot of me with my new cufflinks. I'd used PhotoSuite to try to improve the pic. I mainly brightened up the jewelry and softened everything else. Maybe I didn't do it well. These photo-editing programs are considered "touching up", right? I've seen demonstrations of how dramatically "touched up" photos in magazines are. It's accepted and expected. Criticizing someone for doing it seems odd to me. But I get, "Your photos seem shopped!" I've tried to reverse the changes, and this is the result. Maybe I've messed it up even more, I'm not sure.

rings_cufflinksrdcd.jpg

As an analogy, I usually write my posts in Word. I re-read and edit my posts two or three times before posting them. Should I be criticized for that, as in, "Your posts seem so EDITED!" The critic of my photo was followed by others posting the yellow laughing heads, which means, I assume, "I'm laughing at you." Very nice. I was asked for more realistic photos. Now I wish I had ignored the request. Showing off my jewelry was never a reason for me to be on the site. I had almost no photos of my jewelry. I don't have a camera phone. We specifically don't allow them at my company for security reasons. I took the time and effort to have the professional photographer my company works with to meet with me to get some quality photos, and that's just led to more criticism.

Now here comes the big confession! I have four sons, and they are constantly borrowing my things. I did not have the Rolexes that best matched the other pieces being photographed. They must have borrowed them. The photographer suggested using stock photos, and I thought, why not, everybody knows what a Rolex looks like. There are probably 1,000 Rolexes within a two-mile perimeter of me, many of them the same models. So I fudged a little on the photos! Put me in jail! Crucify me! I just wanted to create a representation of a group of items I might wear (or have worn) as a collection of matching items. I didn't realize I was delivering testimony in front of a grand jury. Now I wish I hadn't bothered. I should have trusted my earlier thought that there's no worthwile reason to have photos of my jewelry.

I don't wear yellow gold much any more -- I started a thread on that topic if you think I'm lying. I haven't worn my yellow-gold-and-diamond wedding ring in months, if not years. It's not at my home here. It's probably locked up at our place in Palm Springs or Big Bear, along with several other things. I described it to him and he returned later with some prints of rings, and one looked just like mine, so I said to use that.

I don't get the whole, "It looks like someone else's, so it can't be yours." A lot of jewelry looks alike. Companies are always copying other company's styles. Thousands of identical pieces are made all the time. When I was thinking about the cufflinks, I told them I wanted a square center stone surrounded by smaller squares (I hate it that they're called "princess" cut -- I think squares look more masculine than round stones.) As usual, they came back with a few sketches and photos. (I have folders filled with sketches, photos from magazines or the internet, pictures people have given me. Several of them have been used by my jewelers to create similar or identical pieces for my wife, my colleagues, my friends, my kids, and me.) I'd never thought of emerald-cut surrounded by baguettes, but I liked the idea when they showed me. They may have used the ones from the link you inserted, or maybe there are a half-dozen other sites with similar stuff. (BTW, I certainly didn't pay anything even near what they cost on that website.)

A man was getting into his car when he was suddenly accosted by a very angry young man. "I can see about 20 different ways that your car is not a Mercedes!" he shouted. The car's owner responded, "That's very observant of you, Sherlock. That's because it's a Buick."

I draw a parallel to a similar situation here. I wear a lot of what I call "knock-around" jewelry in casual settings, when I don't want to potentially damage, or lose, something valuable. It includes plain wedding rings and inexpensive watches. I have a $20 tungsten wedding ring, because I wanted to see if it's true that they never scratch (does seem to be true). Sturgeon asked if anyone still wears chains. I posted an old pic showing a few of my chains. It had a watch in it, too. I made no claims about what kind of watch it was. I thought about trying to erase it, because it was irrelevant, but I figured I'd be criticized for changing a photo. Sturgeon replied that he loved my Rolex. Then he posts a second time, now angry, saying he counts 20 different ways that my watch is not a Rolex! I never said it was a Rolex! I looked around and found the watch in my photo to verify its brand, and it's a Helbros. It's style may be inspired by a Rolex, who knows. The name is next to the 3:00 position, covered by the red hand. I see a picture of the same model where the name's visible here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=helbros+watch&rlz=1C1SAVU_enUS540US540&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=890&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=vdkKVJa8OM6NyATkjYGADw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg#tbm=isch&q=helbros+chronograph+watch&imgdii=_

I think some of you could use anger management. Dancing Fire, you started an entire thread as an insult to me. You also revealed yourself to be the one who attacked me on another site. When I first discovered forums (this one), and had a bad experience, I looked around for another. I've only tried one other, the Rolex Forums. I've said I don't have many pics of my jewelry. I used my wedding ring pic from this site as an avatar temporarily, until I got a Rolex pic. I would've liked a pic showing both. I made one post--I asked guys to show pics of their Rolex and wedding ring. Right away, there was a paragraph-long post ranting and raving about what a pompous showoff I was, and I was banned. I knew it had to be someone from this site. So you are a moderator on rolex forums, Dancing Fire? It was obvious you have two screen names, because the two of you always support each other all over the site, which is against the rules. I looked at a few of your 20,000 threads here. It was easy to get a feel for your life. If you stay in hotels with dirty sheets, it gives an idea of your socio-economic status. You wear pinkie rings and paint your fingernails pink, but I won't comment on that because I don't want to sink to your level. Your many criticisms of me could be summarized as "I'm jealous." You project all of your own problems onto me. I grew beyond my self-esteem issues in high school. Sounds like you still have some.

I looked at the topics started by the first woman to criticize me this time. One of them was about how her private parts hurt when she woke up that morning. I can just imagine what would happen if I did that--a maelstrom of hate messages calling me a pervert and every other name in the book. But the gender-bias on this site was dramatically illustrated by all the sympathetic replies she got.

I'm very old-school when it comes to business and communication. I refuse to use email in business. I don't even like phone calls. I still much prefer the "old-fashioned" way of doing business, which is face-to-face. I will fly to another city rather than have a phone conversation. I consider texting to be absolutely ridiculous. It's estimated that 80% or more of a message is delivered through tone of voice, facial expression, and body language. All of that lost in texting and e-mailing, and most of it on the phone, which so often leads to misunderstandings.

Related to this is the statement I made that probably got the most ridicule. I stated that during business negotiations, I "talk with my hands" a lot. I have truly come to believe that the flashing of the diamonds on my hands creates a compelling force, almost like a hypnotic effect. I can see it slowly happening in the other person's eyes -- first looking only at my eyes, then glancing at my hands now and then, then looking more at my hands than my eyes, then looking only at my hands, then what seems to be a slowing in their breathing and a lack of focus in their eyes. They seem to become more malleable, more easily influenced or convinced. I thought maybe some jewelry enthusiasts would be interested in that, maybe even relate similar thoughts or experiences. But instead I was treated like I belong in a mental institution. What a great loss for all the diamond-wearers who aren't harnessing the powers their diamonds hold.

The last time I was into using cameras and taking pictures was in my 20s for a sport I was involved in. I wanted to document all the changes going on. Photography was very different then -- we used film, for one thing. I never felt a need to have photographs of my jewelry. I mean, what for? To point to a 2-D picture with a hand wearing 3-D versions of the jewelry in the pics? It stays the same; there are no changes to document. The photographer mentioned PhotoShop a few times; I'm not sure how he used it.

When I first joined this site, I thought at some point someone would say they had seen me at the jewelry center downtown, as I go so often, and have for so many years. That's where my jewelers work.

It's a shame that there's so little info about users on this site. It would be nice to know everyone's gender and approximate age, and where they live. And I think it's a huge omission on this site not to allow private messages, so evrything you say is not subject to the intense scrutiny of people who may have paranoid tendencies, poor judgement, or just enjoy making fun of people.

I've had thoughts about jewelry that I'd like to throw out to the group by starting a thread on them in hopes of being interested by the reactions, comments and insight from others. For example, asking about psychological and/or physiological reactions when shopping for, or buying, new jewelry (quickening of heartbeat, dilating of pupils, intensified feelings of love for the person buying it for you or for the person you're buying it for), and whether or not jewelry ever plays a part in the physical relationship between you and your loved one, but I think that would be WAY too controversial for this group and, I think it would just set me up for more abuse.

I also wish someone with website skills would create a website devoted simply to people wanting to meet, in person, other people who like to wear jewelry. Oh, I'm sure that will evoke a lot of "he wants to hit them over the head and steal their jewelry," but like 99% of the criticism on this site, it's way off base.

I've put this message aside several times to think about it. Each time I think of more things to say. I'm sure the critics are saying its too long. I've been criticized for that before. Someone wrote, "I should get a medal just for reading the whole thing, which several people thought was hilarious. If you feel that way, newsflash: Don't read it!

I've scrolled through some discussions and I can't believe how many people will write "lol" or "I agree" or "+1" as if there's some value to that, or as if anyone cares if some unknown individual in the boondocks agrees or not. In my opinion it's just a waste of space and a waste of people's time to have to scroll through it.

I have only 40 posts, and I wouldn't even have that many if it weren't for the fact that at one point I thought it would be enjoyable to go to the Las Vegas event, and I found out I neede to have 50 posts to qualify. I could have put "lol" on the first 50 posts I saw, but I would be disappointed in myself. The 50-post qualification is to prove that you're a real person, with real thoughts, and something worthwhile to contribute. A monkey or a robot could write "lol" 50 times. But I just couldn't find more than a half-dozen discussions where I thought I could make a valuable contribution. I realize this post is now extremely long, but it contains months of thoughts. I could go a year without another post, until somebody writes something I relate to, and when I come back to say something, the posters with 20,000 posts today will have 30,000 posts then. But will they be worth the time to write them and for everybody to read them? I doubt it.

Thanks.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

DoctorD|1410207250|3747166 said:
I've asked, "How do you post a large pic (prevent the image from being sized down so dramatically when posted)?
That way you could zoom in on the individual pieces for detail."
But no one has offerered any help.

The answer is, you can't post a large pic.

Pricescope's software resizes pics when they are uploaded.
Both the file-size/resolution/dpi, and the physical size the pic appears on the screen are scaled DOWN if they are too big.
This saves bandwidth, aka money.

Unfortunately this makes pics taken by a $60,000 Hasseblad look similar to pics taken by a $39 cellphone.
Nice for owners of low-end cameras, and not nice for owners of high-end cameras.
99% of the zing of a high-res large pic is removed when it appears on PS. :nono:

I'm a geeky macro gem photographer and I also lament Pricescope's picture-resolution-killing policy/software. :nono:

Pricescope also does not permit you to post a link to an externally-hosted pics, or links to them, which means nobody will ever be able to see your high resolution pics. :nono:
Their reasoning is understandable, when people delete eternally-hosted pics PS is left with a dead link.
PS gives you only 45 minutes to edit your posts.
Forcing you to upload the pic to their servers ensures PS will always have the pic.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

DoctorD, you have been asked to take and post a new pic of all your jewelry in one pile to prove you own what you've posted.
You don't need to wait for a pro to do that.

Instead you repost this pic of a full jewelry box.
One problem ... the individual pieces you have posted, and claim to own, are not in that box.

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but your last post just digs yourself into a deeper hole of suspicion.
Your long post of complaints is more of a diversionary smoke-screen than what was requested, proof you really own what you claim.

screen_shot_2014-09-08_at_2.png

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results