shape
carat
color
clarity

New Pope

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
True - but who?

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
I''m watching the TV now...it hasn''t been announced!!!
32.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
The German Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger who will call himself Benedict the 16th.

Don''t know much about him except that the media claimed him to be very "strict". Not something I was hoping for. Kinda wanted the Latin American who spoke 8 fluent languages.

We shall see.

bopitaddict

Shiny_Rock
i got a forward on this:

did you see that one of the potential successors was a cardinal scola? if he became pope, then coca-cola would have a cow...

pope scola. (pepsi cola)
emsmileo.gif

mightyred

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/19/2005 3:50
6.gif
9 PM
Author: bopitaddict
i got a forward on this:

did you see that one of the potential successors was a cardinal scola? if he became pope, then coca-cola would have a cow...

pope scola. (pepsi cola)
emsmileo.gif
Interesting! I must admit I am waiting to see how long the press take to headline the new pope eggs Benedict or something along those lines!

I was dissappointed with the choice. Am lapsed anyway so this appointment will certainly not change that.

I did, however, enjoy watching the process and announcement......much quicker than I expected.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2005 4:52:58 PM
Author: mightyred

I was dissappointed with the choice. Am lapsed anyway so this appointment will certainly not change that.

I did, however, enjoy watching the process and announcement......much quicker than I expected.
I was disappointed - hoping some day I will feel like this is my church again. But, on the flip side - the line of NO murder (against the War, abortion, Death penalty, Assisted death, etc) is appealing in it''s *purity*. Personally, I''ve always had problems with someone with the philos. that abortion is murder; but, killing another human (death row) is O.K.

That said, I enjoyed watching also. Though not practicing, I still am amazed how connected I still am to Catholicism. I wonder if the way you grow up - though as a grown up one can disagree with some teaching - any faith runs deep. My mother is a converted Jew. Maybe I''m just a traditionalist as I still consider myself a Jew (birth line). Crazy, I admit. I think, in both cases, I may be embracing the culture/traditions more so than the doctrine. It''s the orderly, yet crazy
28.gif
, rituals like the death/burial & subsequent appointment of a new Pope that I seem to be so drawn towards.

Only time will tell what kind of legacy will be left.

NoonersMom

Shiny_Rock
F&I I am disappointed with the choice as well. Although I am not a Catholic, I feel that Catholocism is somewhat out of touch with today''s society. I have many friends that feel the same & they are Catholic. Then again, I lean a little more towards the progressive/liberal side of things.

Time will tell with this one.

One quick question....why does one drop their name & assume a different name when one becomes the Pope?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2005 5:16
6.gif
2 PM
Author: NoonersMom
F&I I am disappointed with the choice as well. Although I am not a Catholic, I feel that Catholocism is somewhat out of touch with today's society. I have many friends that feel the same & they are Catholic. Then again, I lean a little more towards the progressive/liberal side of things.

Time will tell with this one.

One quick question....why does one drop their name & assume a different name when one becomes the Pope?
The more "liberal" Cath. stance is a very Western (specifically US.) movement. So, I think many of U.S. Catholics feel this way. The counterpoint has always been "relativism". I tend to view life that way. The true doctrine does not recognize relativism - hence, one can not be out of touch because things aren't relative.

I'm not completely clear on the assumption of name. I know that some names are directly translated to virtues. I'm taking a leap of faith here
28.gif
- but I assume it must be that you give up your given name/identity to only serve God. Not sure though. Some traditions make absolutely no sense on how they began.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
As a practicing Catholic, I feel somewhat neutral to positive on the election of Benedict XVI. I say that we should pray for him and for the Church, and give him some time before making assessments of him in his new role.

It's strange- I know there are people who feel disconnected with the Church, but I have to say that personally, I've never felt more connected, way more than when I went to a strongly Catholic college. Of course, there are stances that I disagree with. I think my feelings of connectedness strengthened when I read this book, "The How-To Book of the Mass: Everything You Need to Know But No One Ever Taught You." It explained all the aspects of Mass, and was an eye-opening experience for me.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2005 6
6.gif
4:31 PM
Author: Logan Sapphire
As a practicing Catholic, I feel somewhat neutral to positive on the election of Benedict XVI. I say that we should pray for him and for the Church, and give him some time before making assessments of him in his new role.

It''s strange- I know there are people who feel disconnected with the Church, but I have to say that personally, I''ve never felt more connected, way more than when I went to a strongly Catholic college. Of course, there are stances that I disagree with. I think my feelings of connectedness strengthened when I read this book, ''The How-To Book of the Mass: Everything You Need to Know But No One Ever Taught You.'' It explained all the aspects of Mass, and was an eye-opening experience for me.
Yes, I will give it time. "pudints" say he is a strong interium Pope. Who knows except the one who knows.

The reason why I have been drawn more to my Mom''s faith has always been *because* there is "we do this *because*. Thinking out loud - I think the Cath. faith has not done a good job in the past of saying "why" you do what you do. I have not read the "how to book".

Interesting discussion. I''ll try to elaborate on what I am trying to say tomorrow.

mightyred

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/19/2005 5:47:32 PM
Author: fire&ice

I''m not completely clear on the assumption of name. I know that some names are directly translated to virtues. I''m taking a leap of faith here
28.gif
- but I assume it must be that you give up your given name/identity to only serve God. Not sure though. Some traditions make absolutely no sense on how they began.
Apparently for around the last 1000 years or so the new pope has chosen the name of previous popes in honor of them.

NoonersMom

Shiny_Rock
Might...very interesting. I didn''t know that. Thanks for the info. In the instance of Pope Benedict XVI....does that mean he is honoring XV or the original Benedict? I am curious how many different names are on the list to choose from.

Logan, yes, absolutely will observe & see what the future holds before making final assesments. Will hope for the best!

mightyred

Shiny_Rock
Here''s a wikipedia synopsis'' ........there is a section ''choice of a name'' that sheds some interesting light.
Pope Benedict

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is very interesting on how the media is assessing the appointment of the New Pope, as well as others who voice opinion without too much reasoning.

I think different religions in general are more willing to adopt new ideas and take a more liberal stance on issues which come with the changing of time. Preservation and undilluted theory have their place in most religions. People which share the same faith might be more liberal or rigid in their beliefs depending on what region of the world they live in. The Catholic Church assesses these issues and takes a stance on them. Usually there is not too much change because of the foundation of beliefs which the Church has followed in the past.

I am generalizing but an interesting thought comes to my mind. My fiance Regina is Alaska Native (Tlinglet). Years ago before society was so integrated there was a pure mainstream bloodline of Alaska Natives, Heritage, Culture, Language..etc..) When I visit Regina''s family in Yakutat 80 percent of the Tlinget population do not know or have very limited knowledge of their Native Tongue. Over the years culture & language have been lost in the midst of change. The same culture & language which make up who we all are as people and the foundation of past generations in which future generations will follow. I look at the Catholic Church and its figure heads as trying to accomplish preservation through change.

Here is some food for thought.
9.gif
What do most of the folks think will change from the inception of the New Pope?

Even more important, how do we really view it changing our everyday lives and thought processes?

What do we value and embrace which is important to us and how will change play a role in our lives?

I guess this is dependent on how each one of us values different things.

Will write more later-
35.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Which may ask the question "Can you not believe in the "doctrines - yet consider yourself a certain faith?" Is there room for disagreement? Would I be considered a "heretic" if I thought most of the Bible is written in parables & not fact/history?

Religion is a funny nut. Can we pick certain aspects of other religions to follow? Albeit benign, but I have my dogs blessed every year with the "blessing of the animals".

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results