shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about antique earrings I am about to purchase...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi PSers. I have fallen in love with a pair of earrings that I was not going to purchase because they were more than I wanted to spend. However after much consideration (and rationalization :cheeky: ) I have decided to have this as a gift from my dh for 3 occasions. My birthday, our anniversary and the holidays- which actually makes it 4 occasions since we celebrate both Christmas and Hanukkah but I digress. :rodent:

I was deciding between 2 pairs. One having finer detailing though slightly larger (which might be a negative because I want them for casual i.e. everyday wear) but one being a bit cleaner and smaller. Which brings me to my main question. The jeweler wrote to me that in the pair I prefer (which she prefers as well) there is a fisheye in the bottom stone. She wrote it is not noticeable as the earrings move on the ear and it is a small stone. Not sure of the exact size of the affected stone (my best guess is that stone is no bigger than .08 ct) but I can see it in the magnified pics. The center stones of the earrings I prefer are .20 carats each and total weight of that pair is just under 2 carats. The earrings on the left are around 1.75 carats with the center stones being around .30 carats each

Thoughts are appreciated. I never saw a fisheye IRL and I don't know how noticeable they are in earrings of this size. I am posting pics of the comparison between the 2 pairs and hoping you guys can share some insight either way. The earring from the pair I prefer is the one on the right in the top 2 pics.
Bottom pic is the pair I prefer while top 2 pics are the comparison pics of the 2 different earrings.

And this is not a consideration for my decision but the earrings I prefer are about $150 more than the smaller earrings (in carat weight and size) that are cleaner in clarity without any fisheye.

Thanks!

comparisonofantiqueearrings.jpg

comparisonifantiqueearrings.jpeg

fisheyebottomstoneearringonright.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Question about antique earrings I am about to purchase..

Just to confuse the situation there is a third pair I have my eye on but my dh prefers the pair above. The larger pair with the finer details and the one that also has that darn fisheye.

The main problem with this 3rd option is that the earring is too long. It is over an inch in length. I prefer dangles that hang just below the earlobe. It is infinitely more wearable for me. However this pair is a higher carat weight and supposedly whiter and cleaner. Of course we all know these "grades" need to be taken with the proverbial grain of salt and might mean absolutely nothing. Thoughts about this pair? Center stone approx .55 and surrounding stones approx .1 for an approx total of 3 carats but all a rough guess.

antiqueearrings3rdchoice.jpg

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock

What pretty earrings !!!!

Missy, I know you'll get lots of really good advice from everyone here,
and I can only go by what I feel personally....

I can totally see why you love the larger pair best (between the two)
if it were me, I am all about dangles, so I'd be picking the 3rd pair, hands down....
"whiter and cleaner" ?
yes, please...

this isn't about me.
but
If it were me, that fisheye would just bother me to death....
That being said, can that little stone be replaced?
(of course, then it's not a genuine antique any more, right ? )

if you really love the larger of the two earrings, 3rd not being an option, then maybe just replace the little stone and
wear in health and happiness :))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ooooh, Missy! What a fun dilemma!!

I pick the third pair because I think they are unusual and gorgeous! I absolutely love the design and am saving the picture! The top two are beautiful, but they seem more dressy to me, and I know I would wear them less. But I'd also need to see an earshot of the third pair to see where they'd hang.

Any ear shots of the pair with the problem stone? Hard to know if it would be apparent in real life viewing.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ooo~Shiney!|1409516106|3742588 said:
What pretty earrings !!!!

Missy, I know you'll get lots of really good advice from everyone here,
and I can only go by what I feel personally....

I can totally see why you love the larger pair best (between the two)
if it were me, I am all about dangles, so I'd be picking the 3rd pair, hands down....
"whiter and cleaner" ?
yes, please...

this isn't about me.
but
If it were me, that fisheye would just bother me to death....
That being said, can that little stone be replaced?
(of course, then it's not a genuine antique any more, right ? )

if you really love the larger of the two earrings, 3rd not being an option, then maybe just replace the little stone and
wear in health and happiness :))

Hi ooo Shiney. I appreciate your input and feel free to make it about you as that's why I posted. I need opinions on what you would do and why. If I knew for sure I would have just waited after I bought them and posted in Show me the Bling. I need help. Though my dh just said he hates the 3rd pair LOL but I think that's only because he thinks the other 2 are more of what I have been searching for. And he could be right but I am not 100% sure.

And the 3rd pair is cheaper too. Not significantly but about $300 cheaper than the first and $450 cheaper than the second pair. But again not enough of a factor for me to purchase them if they are not right for me.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1409516798|3742594 said:
Ooooh, Missy! What a fun dilemma!!

I pick the third pair because I think they are unusual and gorgeous! I absolutely love the design and am saving the picture! The top two are beautiful, but they seem more dressy to me, and I know I would wear them less. But I'd also need to see an earshot of the third pair to see where they'd hang.

Any ear shots of the pair with the problem stone? Hard to know if it would be apparent in real life viewing.

Thank you diamondseeker. I do have an earshot but I cannot figure out how to post it here. The jeweler sent me the pic but it is not in a form I can save to my computer and I have been trying to figure out how so I can post. I can post it but only in a tiny pic which I think makes it impossible to see but maybe it will give you an idea. It just feels like it could be too long for me for everyday wear as I like my everyday dangles to be just below the earlobe. Longer feels more dressy to me if that makes sense.

I have no earshots with the problem stone unfortunately. She was nice enough to take side by side shots of the 2 different earrings for me and I don't want to bother her again for earshots though it would be nice. I e-mailed her to make sure I can return them if the fisheye bothers me but have not yet heard back.

edwardiandangledavid.jpg

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I like them all but I think the third pair are special. They are a little different. Classy. Not that the other two are not - but the third pair seem elegant - but wearable with jeans or for going out. The top two seem more dressy. But if dh will not like them - go with the ones that don't have the fisheye.

Either way - After what you have been going through, maybe you need all three! :!:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow beautiful earrings missy! I enlarged the pic a bit but unfortunately lost some clearness, your pic is probably better lol

I really like the third pair, but I'm with you on the dangle, I prefer earrings closer to the earlobe too. I'm leaning towards the smaller pair - I think they will work well for everyday and I kind of like that the center stone is a bit bigger. The larger ones strike me as being a bit dressier. That said, I'm picking up that you really prefer the larger ones - I think you have to see them in person to find out if that one funky stone will bother you. I'm thinking that it might not be noticeable when being worn. Hopefully she'll be open to a return.

_21848.jpg

heididdl

Ideal_Rock

I am sorry to say I also love the third pair.. I prefer a dangle and the little diamonds on the fron are very sweet

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

caf said:
I like them all but I think the third pair are special. They are a little different. Classy. Not that the other two are not - but the third pair seem elegant - but wearable with jeans or for going out. The top two seem more dressy. But if dh will not like them - go with the ones that don't have the fisheye.

Either way - After what you have been going through, maybe you need all three! :!:

LOL I like the way you think Caf haha.
If only the third pair was shorter but I think it is too long for everyday for me. And I do like them all but I prefer the details on the bigger pair though in general I prefer a smaller earring.

I think it's difficult for me to decide because I need to see them in person to really know which I prefer. How it lies on me and how that fisheye stone looks IRL. But I am not going to get them both and send one back. Do not have the energy for that nor do I want to charge that much on the CC just in case something happened.

The first 2 are pretty similar and at a glance one might not (not a PSer of course LOL) even notice the differences. I think their similarity is also making this choice more difficult. Thank you for your input.

junebug17 said:
Wow beautiful earrings missy! I enlarged the pic a bit but unfortunately lost some clearness, your pic is probably better lol

I really like the third pair, but I'm with you on the dangle, I prefer earrings closer to the earlobe too. I'm leaning towards the smaller pair - I think they will work well for everyday and I kind of like that the center stone is a bit bigger. The larger ones strike me as being a bit dressier. That said, I'm picking up that you really prefer the larger ones - I think you have to see them in person to find out if that one funky stone will bother you. I'm thinking that it might not be noticeable when being worn. Hopefully she'll be open to a return.

Thanks Junebug. I do love a shorter dangle. Something about it makes it easy breezy and elegant IMO. I tried to get the 3rd pair to show up larger for you guys but I couldn't. Thank you for trying!

And thank you for your opinion. I agree with everything you wrote. I won't know if that fisheye stone will bug me until I see it in person and I am not sure what I am going to do yet. Why is this hard for me. OMG I cannot even make the simplest decisions these days. Sigh.

heididdl said:
I am sorry to say I also love the third pair.. I prefer a dangle and the little diamonds on the fron are very sweet

Thank you heidi. I do have a few similar pairs length wise and in fact I have ruby diamond earrings that I think are pretty similar shape wise too. Let's see if I can find a pic. Sorry it might be a bit blurry. One of the reasons I am leaning to the first 2 pairs is I have nothing similar to those at all.

ETA: Gawwd, my ears look huge in that pic. :-o Haha, maybe that means I need the larger pair. :lol:

rubydiamondearrings.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sorry to say another vote for the 3rd pair, the first two look like reproductions the 3rd pair look more like genuine Antiques or are genuine Antiques.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

arkieb1|1409526664|3742642 said:
Sorry to say another vote for the 3rd pair, the first two look like reproductions the 3rd pair look more like genuine Antiques or are genuine Antiques.

Thanks arkieb. All 3 pairs are genuine antiques from the Edwardian era according to the sellers.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock

Yet another vote for the third pair. They will move more/better and I don't know how much time you spend on the phone, but those will be more comfortable.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock

I love the third pair, they just have an elegance that the other two pairs lack. I think it's the length and the swoopiness of the setting perhaps. But I know what you mean about shorter pairs being more wearable... And if you already have similar styled earrings... If I was in your situation I would buy the first (smallest) pair. I actually like the arrangement of stones better than the larger pair and the fish eye would just bug me no end.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would get the ones you like fisheye and all. Enjoy them for the beautiful antiques they are. I dont think anyone will see them on you and say "oh my gosh, is that a fisheye?"

I could appreciate any of them because they are all beautiful but
its really about how you feel.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

texaskj|1409527504|3742646 said:
Yet another vote for the third pair. They will move more/better and I don't know how much time you spend on the phone, but those will be more comfortable.

That is a good point about the phone texasj. Thank you. At the moment I am spending no time on the phone wearing earrings but it is good to keep in mind. I usually remove my right earring if I am going to be on the phone for more than a minute.

misskittycat said:
I love the third pair, they just have an elegance that the other two pairs lack. I think it's the length and the swoopiness of the setting perhaps. But I know what you mean about shorter pairs being more wearable... And if you already have similar styled earrings... If I was in your situation I would buy the first (smallest) pair. I actually like the arrangement of stones better than the larger pair and the fish eye would just bug me no end.

Thank you misskittycat. I appreciate your opinion. Seems like most PSers prefer the 3rd pair and if push comes to shove the smaller of the 2 similar shorter dangles.

tyty333 said:
I would get the ones you like fisheye and all. Enjoy them for the beautiful antiques they are. I dont think anyone will see them on you and say "oh my gosh, is that a fisheye?"

I could appreciate any of them because they are all beautiful but
its really about how you feel.

Thanks tyty. That is very true. The fact that they are antiques and from another time makes them special to me though they are far from perfect. Sort of like me. Old and far from perfect haha. Another truth. :cheeky:

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock

I think what is putting me off is the stud finding on the first two pairs. On those types of earrings I tend to prefer a hook finding which is what the third pair have. Maybe that's it!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

They are all pretty but I'd pick the third pair too. Of course which one is calling your name?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I LOVE the dangles on the third pair but not the hook. Personally I'd choose the third pair without giving it a second thought, though I'd probably put them on a different hook, which would eliminate the cost advantage. Oh well. The third pair looks more organic to me than the first two, if that makes any sense, and therefore more versatile. (For me anyway, since my life and wardrobe are skewed towards casual.)

As for the fisheye... I know nothing about fisheyes, but... is it visible from all angles, or just when holding the earring stationary and viewing it straight-on? I'm thinking that it isn't going to be that noticeable unless it totally deadens the stone.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

misskittycat|1409535343|3742687 said:
I think what is putting me off is the stud finding on the first two pairs. On those types of earrings I tend to prefer a hook finding which is what the third pair have. Maybe that's it!

Hi misskittycat, none of them are post backings but rather a sort of lever backing which I prefer to posts for my comfort. I will post a pic of the back.

marcy said:
They are all pretty but I'd pick the third pair too. Of course which one is calling your name?

Hi Marcy, if I knew that for sure I wouldn't have started the thread. Now I just don't know if I want any of these lol. Thank you for your opinion.

VRBeauty said:
I LOVE the dangles on the third pair but not the hook. Personally I'd choose the third pair without giving it a second thought, though I'd probably put them on a different hook, which would eliminate the cost advantage. Oh well. The third pair looks more organic to me than the first two, if that makes any sense, and therefore more versatile. (For me anyway, since my life and wardrobe are skewed towards casual.)

As for the fisheye... I know nothing about fisheyes, but... is it visible from all angles, or just when holding the earring stationary and viewing it straight-on? I'm thinking that it isn't going to be that noticeable unless it totally deadens the stone.

Thanks VRBeauty. The jeweler assures me the fisheye is not noticeable when the earrings are on the ear so that's something. But I think I need to see a pic of them on the ears just to get an idea of how they look since I have never seen earrings like that IRL. The 3rd pair I have seen similar earrings IRL and in fact have a few pairs that are similar in many ways and while I think they are so pretty the long length is a problem.

My life is also mainly casual all the time and I have no problem wearing my diamonds. Diamonds go with everything after all LOL but the length feels too much if you kwim. That's why I prefer shorter earrings as I think those are more versatile. However after getting everyone's valuable feedback (thank you PSers!) I can see that perhaps the first 2 pairs might be too heavy looking. I am just not sure without seeing them in person.

I have asked the seller for pics of the first 2 pairs on the ears. If she is not amenable to that my decision is made at least on the first 2. If she is willing to take the ear shots then I will have a better idea if these are for me or as Marcy wrote "calling my name". :wavey:

And one last concern I have on the 3rd pair is the clarity. The pics on that 3rd pair are not great and the pic I linked here in the second post of the thread is the best one in fact but the other pics do not really show if the diamonds are eye clean. He states they are VS to SI clarity but I don't know. Those pics make them look less clean than I would like. Of course that is what a return policy is for but I am hoping to avoid that route. But right now I am just focusing on the aesthetic characteristics and the wearability of the earrings and appreciate everyone's input.

backofplatinumedwardians.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

And just to add another mix to the pair lol. These are 21-22 karat gold (I prefer platinum but not a deal breaker) and similar to the 3rd pair. I have been watching this pair as well but they weren't high on my list because the pictures seemed off or maybe doctored or something. I cannot put my finger on it and when I asked for an earshot they sent me one that seemed computer generated. However now I am revisiting these. They are 1 1/8 inch long (as opposed to the 3rd pair which is 1 1/4 inch-so these are slightly shorter a plus) and lightweight enough. Thoughts?

edwardianebay.jpg

nexttoapenny.jpg

strangeearshot.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

They are more casual looking but I still love all the detail on the first 2 pair.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I prefer the design of the first 2 pairs and prefer the bigger pair. But I dislike the fisheye diamond. Is it possible to switch out the fisheye diamond of the larger pair?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

tyty333|1409573950|3742814 said:
They are more casual looking but I still love all the detail on the first 2 pair.

Thanks tyty. Me too. Still waiting to hear back from the seller if she is willing to take earshots. I hope she will because I think that will allow me to make a decision finally one way or the other.

thecat said:
I prefer the design of the first 2 pairs and prefer the bigger pair. But I dislike the fisheye diamond. Is it possible to switch out the fisheye diamond of the larger pair?

Hi thecat. I guess it's possible because I can purchase them and then do it eventually. I have an estate jeweler whom I love in Lambertville so eventually when I am well enough to travel and go there I can leave the earrings with her and she can find an appropriate match. Just not sure I am willing to do that since the earrings are expensive (for me) already. I guess it all depends on if the fisheye is noticeable IRL when wearing the earrings. Thanks for your input.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Update. I purchased a pair. There is a return period but I am hoping I will be in love with them when they arrive. There is always that small question until you can see them in person yanno? Anyway she did send me pics but couldn't get clear ones on herself because of their movement so she took the creepy mannequin ones lol. But that was what I needed to see their scale at least somewhat accurately I hope. Can you guess which ones I chose based on the pics? I will tell you in my next post so if you want to guess check out the pics below but don't read what I wrote in the next post until after. 8)

edwardianpltinumdiamonddangles.jpg

edwardianplatdangles.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I chose the top pair...the smaller diamond weight but larger center diamond. The bottom pair (larger overall in weight and size but smaller center diamond) that has the earring with a fisheye looks sort of blobby in shape on the mannequin's ear for lack of a better descriptive word. The top pair has a more pleasing shape to my eye.

Thanks for all your help guys!
Now I have my eye on another pair LOL but I have sworn off purchases till 2015 so I have to exercise self control. It's the only form of exercise I am getting these days LOL.

Hope everyone is enjoying their Labor Day holiday. :wavey:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I prefer the first pair (I'd want to swap out the stone with the fish eye), though I do think that they are dressier than the 3rd pair, which you might be able to wear more often. If the 3rd pair were closer to the ear, I'd probably like it more. Of course, if your DH hates the 3rd pair, then I guess it's not really an option? I can't wait to see what you get....they are going to be gorgeous, no matter what you select!

ETA, we posted at the same time! I love the pair you chose and can't wait to see what you think in person!

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock

I LOVE them, Missy! What a great and special buy!! Enjoy- and I'm sure they will suffice your craving or at least another year ;-)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ooh that's the pair I like! Can't wait to see them on you, I hope you love them- they look great on the mannequin lol!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

They look beautiful, Missy! The ear shots help a lot to get a feel for the size! I hope you love them as much in person! Then we'll need real earshots!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results