shape
carat
color
clarity

AVC ASET Help, Please!

Zoom

Rough_Rock
Hey there! This is my first post here and I am hoping all of you knowledgable people could help me out. I am looking at some AVCs on GOG and am wondering about their ASETs. Any and all opinions would be great! I'd love to know which ones look best and which one(s) you would all pick - I'm pretty clueless. Bare with me. Thanks in advance :angel:

I hope I'm adding these pictures properly… :confused:

Option A: D SI1
1_303.jpg

Option B: G SI1
2_166.jpg

Option C: G SI1
3_130.jpg

Option D: E VS2
4_70.jpg

Option E: H VS1
5_56.jpg

Option F: F VS2
6_33.jpg

Sorry for so many options and thank you so much again. I can't wait to hear what you all think! :)

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hi Zoom,

I'm a fellow AVC lover/owner.

About ASETS:
In general ASETS show you how the stone reflects light from different areas in the room. In ASETS you are generally looking for mostly red (reflected overhead brightness from ceiling lights) a little blue (dark head shadow )for contrast, and minimal green (low angle lighting from table lamps) and as little white/yellow/any other color as possible ( areas of light that just pass through the stone and aren't reflected back) . You can expect cushion( AVCs, OMCs etc.) ASETS to show more green than rounds will because of the nature of the fancy cut.

About AVCs:
So many lovely options! Jon is really picky about his stones and what is allowed to be listed under the August Vintage brand (he has them custom cut for him), so they will all have top notch light performance. At this point your main concern is which one looks the nicest to you.
One of the things GOG can do for you is make a video of a bunch of stones right beside each other, so you can decide which one looks best "in action".

How color and inclusion sensitive are you? It doesn't matter how pretty the ASET is if an inclusion or a warmer tone is going to bother you, so narrowing down your criteria re: color and clarity should help with your decision.

Budget could also help you narrow your choice. going with a simple setting will leave more more leeway on stone price. If you know the setting is going to be quite elaborate, then you might want to select a stone at a slightly lower price point to fit your budget.

My first impressions from looking at the ASETs, and then also seeing the stones on GOG's website :
I notice that option D is considerably more "contrasty" than the rest of the group, which you may or may not like. It would be interesting to see it in action.
Symmetry-wise I like the look of options A, D, and F for the extra-crisp look of the facets (I really like highly symmetrical square stones, but maybe you prefer more oblong stones)
If you're going for size, Diamond B is clearly your stone.

Hope this helps.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All of those stones have outstanding ASETs. To say one is better than another is really not going to be helpful, because they all have great light return. You need to choose by looking at the actual diamonds or their actual images. Choose by color, face up size (diameter), shape, etc. Certainly verify how eyeclean they are when VS2 or lower. That might rule some out for me.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most noticeably there are two camps, ones with and without contrasting patches at NSEW, shown here

heres a video that explains it really doesnt matter :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICYW8pedP1s

so imma base it off shape, sense i dont know the size. I like option 1 and 2 as they look the most pillowy, and i prefer more square AVRs

_21832.jpg

Zoom

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much for the replies. =)
After reading a bit more of ASETs, watching the video that Niel provided and taking each of your posts into consideration I have narrowed my choices down.

I definitely like a more square stone, which played a big factor in narrowing things down. Size isn't a huge issue, though it is always a nice perk, as long as it's over 1ct. that's fine by me. I will post the ASETs again as well as the pictures of the diamonds with each ASET to give you a better idea of what the actual diamond looks like.

Option A: 1.05ct D SI1 August Vintage Cushion Diamond
Width: 6.05mm
Length: 6.13mm
Depth: 4.04mm
Table Percentage: 46.60%
Depth Percentage: 66.70%
1_305.jpg
1d.jpg
Here is the microscopic image of the inclusion
1inc.jpg

Option B: 1ct E VS2 August Vintage Cushion Diamond
Width: 5.73mm
Length: 5.94mm
Depth: 3.83mm
Table Percentage: 53.40%
Depth Percentage: 66.72%
2_169.jpg
2d.jpg

Option C: 1.1ct H VS1 August Vintage Cushion Diamond
Width: 6.06mm
Length: 6.13mm
Depth: 4.02mm
Table Percentage: 50.80%
Depth Percentage: 66.40%
3_131.jpg
3d.jpg
Should I be worried about the H colour of this stone? :confused:

Option D: 1ct F VS2 August Vintage Cushion Diamond
Width: 5.69mm
Length: 5.88mm
Depth: 3.87mm
Table Percentage: 50.28%
Depth Percentage: 68.00%
4_71.jpg
4d.jpg
Is there a reason the ASET on this image is so dark, while the others are so bright?

Would the 19mm difference in L/W in options B and D be quite noticeable?
I am much more partial to the square cushion appearance vs rectangular (though both are lovely).

I'm still a bit confused about the whole "contrast" thing. Would more blue (contrast) or green (horizon lighting/less bright) be better when basing my opinion? Or with such a good cut does it really matter all that much? After watching the video that Niel recommended it sounds to be as though it really isn't a big issue and to completely honest I looked pretty hard to see if I could see a difference in the actual diamonds and I couldn't see any difference aside from each cut being slightly different and certain areas sparkling at different times when the angle was changed.

I will, of course, inquire about inclusions being eye clean and that will absolutely factor into my decision, but based off of these stats, ASETs and photos provided, do any of you have a clearer idea of which diamond might be best? They are all exceptional so it's a very tough decision.

If I have removed an option from my first post that you disagree with PLEASE let me know as I am still very green when it comes to all of this stuff. Again, any and all insight is welcome and appreciated =)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still love the shape of the D best. And its a D, that holds a lot of value for a lot of people.

Zoom

Rough_Rock
Sorry Niel, do you mean option D from the first post or the second? I'm just confused because both option Ds are F in colour.

I should of labeled them as the same letter from the first post. :wall:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoom|1409501804|3742467 said:
Sorry Niel, do you mean option D from the first post or the second? I'm just confused because both option Ds are F in colour.

I should of labeled them as the same letter from the first post. :wall:
The d color. Your first option. I was saying the D color holds value to people.

Zoom

Rough_Rock
Oh sorry, my mistake! Yeah I quite like the D coloured one too. The fact that is D in colour is very important to me. It's the fact that it's an SI1 that worries me. It's a toss up between the D SI1 and H VS1. If the inclusion on the D SI1 is noticeable with the naked eye then would there be a reason to not get the H VS1 that you can think of? The H colour makes me a bit nervous...

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoom|1409502367|3742477 said:
Oh sorry, my mistake! Yeah I quite like the D coloured one too. The fact that is D in colour is very important to me. It's the fact that it's an SI1 that worries me. It's a toss up between the D SI1 and H VS1. If the inclusion on the D SI1 is noticeable with the naked eye then would there be a reason to not get the H VS1 that you can think of? The H colour makes me a bit nervous...

Just ask them if the d is eye clean. It looks like it, and frankly if its eye clean there's no reason to avoid an SI1

and yes an H will be very white. Ask him to make you a video of those two to compare.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hi Zoom,

The last ASET looks different because GOG has changed the way they show ASET images, and the last stone has an older ASET image. The information is still valid because it's all about the locations of the different colored patches and not the intensity of the color.

The inclusion on the D colored stone is right in the corner, so it looks like it could be mostly covered by a prong. Inclusions near the edges of a stone tend to be less noticeable than inclusions under the table (middle of the stone).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd definitely choose between the two that are over 6mm. Every little tenth of mm matters!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its time for a video comparison!!

Zoom

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much for your help and advice - I appreciate it more than you know =)

I have taken the step and requested a video of two stones. I can't wait to see them both in all of their AVC beauty! If I didn't live over 6 hours away I would go visit GOG and see them for myself but a video will have to do, I suppose. I wish tomorrow wasn't a holiday because it sure will feel like a long wait until Tuesday.

Thank you all again! I'm sure I'll be requiring assistance and opinions soon once I hear back from GOG.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 1.33 AVC K color stone in a pendant GOG made... I put it in the ultrasonic cleaner yesterday.. I cannot enough how beautiful that stone is. . I would love to have an AVR also. time will tell.. I still don't understand why I don't read that someone famous has the August Vintage Stone.. they are remarkable. Best of luck!

Zoom|1409515730|3742582 said:
Thank you all so much for your help and advice - I appreciate it more than you know =)

I have taken the step and requested a video of two stones. I can't wait to see them both in all of their AVC beauty! If I didn't live over 6 hours away I would go visit GOG and see them for myself but a video will have to do, I suppose. I wish tomorrow wasn't a holiday because it sure will feel like a long wait until Tuesday.

Thank you all again! I'm sure I'll be requiring assistance and opinions soon once I hear back from GOG.

Zoom

Rough_Rock
Oh my goodness, your AVC is gorgeous! For a K it really looks quite colourless. I wish I could afford something larger than 1ct, but the price is just a bit too high. I am, unfortunately, not one to sacrifice the colour grade, other wise I could get something a little bigger…but the more I see the J and K AVC/Rs around PS the more I think I could. Tough decision. I have a size 4 finger though so the 1ct won't looks small at least. The AVRs are beautiful too but there is just something about a cushion cut that gets me all excited. They're so swoon worthy. I find that funny too, they have got to be the most beautifully cut diamond I've ever seen. I'm sure we'll hear of someone famous with one sooner or later!

Zoom

Rough_Rock
One more quick question if anyone is around to answer…

1_306.jpg
Is that yellow or green? If it is yellow, should I be worried about that? I thought yellow was bad. :confused:

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hi Zoom,

That's green and the stone is absolutely gorgeous. :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results