shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice Needed re. Large White Freshwater Strand

JanesJewels

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

For quite a while I've been wanting to buy a strand of white freshwater pearls of 9-10mm. (I say freshwater because my budget is about 1k. I can't afford akoyas in that size, and anyway I like the idea of solid nacre.)

However, I love the luster of akoyas and would like as high a luster as possible. I'm not so keen on the satiny luster of, say, South Sea pearls - at least not for this strand.

So, I've been comparing the freshwater lines of different vendors. I recently bought some 9.5-10mm Freshadama pearl studs from Pearl Paradise, and although I really like them, I would not say that their luster is in anyway comparable to akoyas, as is often said about the Freshadama line. It's definitely more satiny and has no sharp glossiness.

I am also looking at the AAA range at PP. Is there a visible luster difference between the AAA and the Freshadama? To confuse matters, the PP AAA freshwaters are about the same price as the Freshadamas, so which is more lustrous?

In addition, I'm looking at Pearls of Joy and they have AAA and Gem Grade, again about the same price. Anybody know which is more lustrous?

All these strands in the 9-10mm size are about 1k (for 16 inch). However, The Pearl Source has a 9-10mm freshwater strand for just $499, AAAA grade. What do you think of this? I've heard AAAA is a superfluous grade. Will these pearls be much less lustrous than the 1k strands from the above vendors? After all, they are half the price. But if none of the freshies are akoya-like anyway, then perhaps this strand will do. http://www.thepearlsource.com/9-10mm-White-Freshwater-Pearl-Necklace-AAAA-Quality_21_collection_47.htm

Anyone have the Pearl Source AAAA pearls in a large size?

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
JanesJewels -- since sharp luster seems of key importance to you, have you considered white metallics? Their luster is the closest to akoya. I am mad for metallic luster:

However, metallics can be off-round, some pearls are quite off-round (though not when seen on the neck -- only on close inspection -- the metallics pictured above are off-round).

At $300 you could try these, though they are smaller mm than you want:

http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-2471-8460458465-mm-metallic-white-freshwater-pearl-necklace.aspx

They are out of the size you want, but you could be wait-listed for these at $515 (AAA at 16"):

http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-3594-8465459465-mm-metallic-white-freshwater-pearl-necklace.aspx

Your perfect solution may be to be put on the wait-list for "freshadama metallics" which I assume are nicely round metallics.

poj_metallic_double_0.jpg

JanesJewels

Shiny_Rock
Thanks bsomlo! Yes, I think metallics are an excellent solution, but I saw that PP had run out and thought that was it. Perhaps I'll contact PP and ask how long it'll be. I think 8.5-9.5 would be OK, although I wouldn't want to go any smaller.

Do you know of any other vendors that have metallics of PP's quality? I have looked, and some do, but I'm not sure of the quality. I really only know PP - I'm not very familiar with any of the other pearl vendors.

Thanks again so much for your help!

Have you seen a strand of PP's larger freshadamas? What's your opinion of the luster? I think my studs are very nice pearls but they don't look like akoyas, to me.

mapo

Shiny_Rock
perhaps you can call PP and ask them to look for what you want at the upcoming HK fair in September.

JanesJewels

Shiny_Rock
mapo|1409152444|3740117 said:
perhaps you can call PP and ask them to look for what you want at the upcoming HK fair in September.

There's a fair in September? OK, thanks Mapo! :wavey:

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would also suggest looking at metallics. They have sharper luster and I'd love to own a strand of 10mm metallics. However, when I asked Jeremy earlier this year, he said metallics can rarely be found in sizes over 9mm. But reach to them to be added to a wish list for PP's next shopping trip.

Alternatively, would consider baroques for this strand? I find that my white ripples have some metallic surfaces and also my FW baroque drops.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
I don't own any "freshadama" so can't speak to their quality. Some people report being thrilled with them and others have written that they have a less sharp/chalky luster. I figure "freshadama metallic" would be a combination of roundest while having the sharpest metallic luster. Metallics in that size range are hard to find. My metallics pictured above are 9 mm to 10 mm but as I said, off-round. But the luster, sigh, makes up for it! I think Kevin only found 3 strands in that size range -- and they were mixed colors, not all white.

I would ask both Jeremy and Kevin at POJ to look for what you want at the upcoming HK show. They never know what's going to be available (part of the fun, in my opinion) and it may take some waiting on your part. I had to wait for two HK shows until Jeremy found the graduated white metallics to make my graduated white triple. Well worth the wait!

pp_triple_metallic_neck_shot_with_red_2.jpg

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
JanesJewels - I don't have any Freshadamas either but I do have white metallics and love them! I think it's a great idea to have someone check out the HK fair to look for metallics for you, even Freshadama metallics!

bsomlo - sigh...

JanesJewels

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the advice, everyone! :wavey:

bsomlo, your triple is TDF!!

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Over 11mm in solid nacre freshwater is harder to find and I would be starting to think Edison/Ming/bead nuked. But under 11mm, the pearls are there no problem, in AAA.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
bsomlo|1409166863|3740279 said:
I don't own any "freshadama" so can't speak to their quality. Some people report being thrilled with them and others have written that they have a less sharp/chalky luster. I figure "freshadama metallic" would be a combination of roundest while having the sharpest metallic luster. Metallics in that size range are hard to find. My metallics pictured above are 9 mm to 10 mm but as I said, off-round. But the luster, sigh, makes up for it! I think Kevin only found 3 strands in that size range -- and they were mixed colors, not all white.

I would ask both Jeremy and Kevin at POJ to look for what you want at the upcoming HK show. They never know what's going to be available (part of the fun, in my opinion) and it may take some waiting on your part. I had to wait for two HK shows until Jeremy found the graduated white metallics to make my graduated white triple. Well worth the wait!

bsomio - sigh…sigh…sigh…sigh..sigh…sigh…sigh…sigh dreamy…….

JanesJewels

Shiny_Rock
bsomlo|1409348622|3741692 said:
JanesJewels -- I just looked on Kevin's website and he still has 5 AAA 8.5 to 9.5 white metallic strands in stock @ $410. He's great to work with and I bought my multi-color metallic double strand from him:

http://www.pearlsofjoy.com/White-Metallic-Freshwater-Pearl-Necklace-Multiple-Sizes_p_660.html

You could ask him for pictures of these five strands and to keep an eye out for you during his upcoming buying trip (assuming he's going).

bsomlo - I just wanted to thank you very much for posting this for me. Sorry I've taken a while to reply. I do appreciate you bringing this strand to my attention. It may be too small for me as I had preferred 9-10mm but however, the price is pretty attractive. I am going to definitely consider it.

Thanks again! :wavey:

JanesJewels

Shiny_Rock
Pearlescence|1409508867|3742538 said:
Over 11mm in solid nacre freshwater is harder to find and I would be starting to think Edison/Ming/bead nuked. But under 11mm, the pearls are there no problem, in AAA.

Thanks, Pearlescence. I wish I knew what the difference was between the AAA strands and the Pearl Paradise Freshadama and other "gem grade" freshwaters. The prices are about the same.

Bailey1856

Shiny_Rock
Bsomlo, i thought you'd be the best person to ask this since you own both FW metallics and ripples. Lately i've been longing for a white strand but i don't want the traditional white. I'd like more of a silvery metallic white. Which do you think best describes that, the ripples or the metallics in terms of luster? Thanks

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Bailey1856 said:
Bsomlo, i thought you'd be the best person to ask this since you own both FW metallics and ripples. Lately i've been longing for a white strand but i don't want the traditional white. I'd like more of a silvery metallic white. Which do you think best describes that, the ripples or the metallics in terms of luster? Thanks

It depends -- both can be "silvery metallic white" luster. My white metallics are supposedly cream but they look very white to me.

Here's a picture of white metallic ripples from PP a few buying trips ago (so not from their current bunch):

And here are white metallic rounds with citrines from PP:

I think shape is key in this decision. The vibe is very different between round/off-white round versus funky ripple shapes. I love both.

pp_white_ripples_with_navy_1.jpg

pp_citrine_and_white_metallic_0.jpg

pp_white_ripples_with_red_1.jpg

pp_white_metallic_and_0.jpg

Bailey1856

Shiny_Rock
Bsomlo, thanks for the reply with pictures. Kevin suggested the baby ripples because I wanted crisp white with silvery metallic luster and the white metallics he said have a blue/green cast to them that I'm not sure I would like. So I just ordered them and should arrive in a week or two. Yay, I'm so excited!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results