shape
carat
color
clarity

August Vintage Diamond & Alexandrite Engagement Ring

cdonnae

Rough_Rock
I posted in the engagement ring thread about my ring, but it was suggested I start my own thread about it, so here I am! My fiance proposed in April with a gorgeous warm AVC, but last month (after I was looking around on the internet at gemstones, just for fun) he said he wanted to add natural alexandrite to the ring, and I didn't argue. :) Thanks to all the amazing PSers who already underwent the search for legit natural alexandrite, we knew how tricky it could be and decided to work with David from multicolour.com. He was wonderful and we found two matching stones within just a week or so. We decided we liked the look of lighter color alexandrite (though we know the richer darker stones are more valued) because we didn't want high contrast with my diamond (which is a warmer color anyway so we're not very orthodox when it comes to colors I guess!). We had the setting custom made at Quest Fine Jewelers in the DC metro area, and they did an amazing job as well - I highly recommend them for anyone in my area.

Each alexandrite is natural, not treated, eye clean, and around .4 carat. Each are thought to be from Brazil, and go from a beautiful turquoise in daylight to light blue inside (can also be dark blue depending on the lighting), emerald green in a variety of lighting situations, purple at night, and purple-pink in candlelight. The setting is 14k unplated white gold. My AVC is 1.16 carat, N color, VS2 clarity. My ring looks different every time because the diamond plays off of the color of the alexandrite, I love it!

Pictures below are unedited. The first is the ring in morning daylight. I tried to capture the ring in all different lighting but it really doesn't do it justice, and I was using my phone so I'll try to get better quality pictures soon.

2014-08-28_3.png

2014-08-28_4.png

collage_0.png

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I love your AVC in a 3 stone! :love: Somehow it doesn't look as warm in color next to the alexandrite side stones! Great choice (from one AVC owner to another)! :appl:

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
LOVE IT!!!

Congratulations on having such a gorgeous, unique ring.

:love:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow wow wow.

I love a good alexandrite ring! I love how the change in side stones also seems to bring out different things in your center stone.

plus, AVC +alexandrite? now thats a special combination! :clap: :clap: :clap:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that is the coolest thing anyone has done with an AVC for a while now!!!! :clap: I have one and I have been debating if I should sell it or keep it so you are giving me some more ideas before I decide :naughty: If you don't mind me asking what finger size are you? Are the Alexandrites cushion cuts or antique cushion cuts, or round or oval cuts?

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is so cool! Enjoy!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an amazing piece! One of my new favourites here on PS. Time to revive the 'covet most' thread.
Please post at least a million pics.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty - and unique. Enjoy your gorgeous ring:)

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations- it's beautiful! Glad to see Quest hit another one out of the park (I've been going to them since 2003).

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
Wow. I have never heard of Alexandrite, but now I know I absolutely love it. PS can get you into so much trouble, as it introduces you to soooo many gem options. I am debating on what to put in my current engagement setting as I am having a new setting made, and now feel compelled to explore this option a bit :naughty: your ring is just so unique, enjoy!

makeable

Shiny_Rock
How cool and unique! Very beautiful on your hand. Congrats!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous ring. :love: Love that chunky personality. It shines through and I love your choice of setting. Many congratulations on your engagement and may you wear your beautiful ring in health and happiness. :appl:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Incredible!! Love it!

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous gorgeous :love:

cdonnae

Rough_Rock
arkieb1|1409490518|3742373 said:
Wow, that is the coolest thing anyone has done with an AVC for a while now!!!! :clap: I have one and I have been debating if I should sell it or keep it so you are giving me some more ideas before I decide :naughty: If you don't mind me asking what finger size are you? Are the Alexandrites cushion cuts or antique cushion cuts, or round or oval cuts?

Wow, I am blown away by all the responses - thank you so much everyone!! :)

Arkieb1 - not at all! I'm a size 5, and the side stones are step cut ovals, about 5.5 mm in length (my diamond is 6.3 mm in length).

I couldn't help myself, I took some flower pictures as well :love: I apologize, for some reason some of them won't rotate to be upright.

20140831_124333.jpg

20140831_124021.jpg

20140831_123601.jpg

20140831_125028.jpg

Bailey_Lou

Shiny_Rock
Wow, this combination of AVC and alexandrite is beautiful - very nontraditional in a wonderful way :)

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
what a stunning and unusual ring-love it!!

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
Love it!

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
What a beautiful and one of a kind engagement ring! Stunning!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely love this! :love: The green alexandrite color looks so gorgeous with the N color of the AVC!

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's such an amazing 3 stone! Love it :love:

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Love it!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Re: August Vintage Diamond & Alexandrite Engagement Ring

Stunning ring!! Love all the different colors your alex show, definitely brings out the amazing personalities of your beautiful AVC.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1409515269|3742578 said:
I absolutely love this! :love: The green alexandrite color looks so gorgeous with the N color of the AVC!

Yes, totally agree. What an eye for color you and your fiance have. Congratulations!! It's a gorgeous way to show off both the cut and color of your AVC. One of a kind. :appl: :appl:

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a work of art. Really love it! :appl:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
well done!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous combination that I never would have thought of!
The colors are just beautiful together.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I absolutely love the colors together, what an amazing choice, it is gorgeous! :appl: :appl:

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Wow! Your ring is so lovely! :love: :love: :love:
I'm sure you'll be getting compliments on it for a long time to come.

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
Wowsa!!! Love it!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results