shape
carat
color
clarity

The Purple Orchid Diamond!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, maybe without the pink secondary, they would be violet or blue. Pure fancy violet does exist, Leibish had one once, and it sold. They wanted to buy it back. Most violet have grey modifier, and this one did not. Purple is actually a combination of red and blue, so without the red or pink, it would be a more blue or violet color.

ETA: Per Liebish's website article.

"Pure fancy purple diamonds are very rare and hard to find. These colored diamonds are divided into two main categories: violet diamonds, which lean towards the blue-grey spectrum; and purple diamonds, whose hues are reddish pink."

"Purple diamonds often occur with modifying secondary overtones, as a pure purple diamond is very rare to find. In terms of face-up appearance, these secondary colors often make the diamond that much more beautiful, even if it is less rare. "

http://www.leibish.com/natural-purple-diamonds-article-121

In the middle of the page, Leibish calls this one Fancy deep purple. I assume the GIA report was that color???

http://www.leibish.com/media/mediabank/fancy-purple_725.41ae3.jpg

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Where's that fainting smiley?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
soberguy|1409373759|3741888 said:
Well see that's what I mean. Gia mentions certifying the red shield, now the Moussaieff Red Diamond. But there is no mention of them, or from them, regarding certification of this particular diamond, or any straight purple diamond. So my question is still unanswered lol!!

An old picture I was saving because of the color rarity..., should answer your Q? Or do you need "the" physical paper;-)

photo_14.png

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
soberguy said:
I think it would be perfect in a men's ring lol!

I would wear it as a belly piercing If I could get it!!! :lol:

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
DiaGem|1409410361|3741962 said:
soberguy|1409373759|3741888 said:
Well see that's what I mean. Gia mentions certifying the red shield, now the Moussaieff Red Diamond. But there is no mention of them, or from them, regarding certification of this particular diamond, or any straight purple diamond. So my question is still unanswered lol!!

An old picture I was saving because of the color rarity..., should answer your Q? Or do you need "the" physical paper;-)

photo_14.png

How many lifetimes worth or earnings would that thing cost??? :shock:

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
For a definitive answer, yes of course.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find it very difficult to believe the color in that pic could be anything near accurate.

I think the below pic of the same stone is more likely to be closer to accurate.
Note, both pics are actually the same pic ... every shadow, highlight, reflection is identical.
Someone just got carried away with Photoshop.
Source: http://4csblog.gia.edu/2014/happy-new-year-radiant-orchid

screen_shot_2014-08-30_at_1.png

screen_shot_2014-08-30_at_0.png

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Same gem - look at the inclusion - they are like a fingerprint

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
How does the color of this purple compare to the Orchid, Leibish's mini orchid half carater and the gia vivid purple?

Kroshka

_21825.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kroshka|1409444724|3742170 said:
How does the color of this purple compare to the Orchid, Leibish's mini orchid half carater and the gia vivid purple?

Kroshka

If that picture is accurate for color, that's a stunning stone.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

Kroshka

Whoof!!! You mean you have that? Details please... I think it's better than both! :love:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1409447550|3742194 said:

Kroshka

If that picture is accurate for color, that's a stunning stone.

+1

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Look what the Purple Orchid pooped out

Kroshka

orchid_poo.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Tease! You've obviously got a better inventory on orchid poo than anyone :naughty:

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1409429685|3742059 said:
I find it very difficult to believe the color in that pic could be anything near accurate.

I think the below pic of the same stone is more likely to be closer to accurate.
Note, both pics are actually the same pic ... every shadow, highlight, reflection is identical.

Ok, now that you put that other shade up there then someone at GIA was being naughty...
But for the question: "...any straight purple diamond. So my question is still unanswered lol!!", this example confirmed that GIA straight Purple's do in fact exist.

But speaking of color (sorry on the threadjack), what do you think of this?
I am NOT a big fan of these cuts but when I held this gem in my hand I really didnt mind the cut at all..... :naughty:

spectaculardiamond2.png

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Don't tell me that his is untreated natural diamond... :shock:

Unbelievable!!! Looks like a top padparadscha. Weight??? :love: :love:

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Marlow|1409476350|3742323 said:
Don't tell me that his is untreated natural diamond... :shock:

Unbelievable!!! Looks like a top padparadscha. Weight??? :love: :love:

Believe it or not, that was the color of the Diamond when it was in my hands...
Weight was approx 5 ct.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
5 ct??

Any treatment?? A natural diamond untreated diamond like this one would get a name...

It is awesome!!!

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
DiaGem said:
kenny|1409429685|3742059 said:

Ok, now that you put that other shade up there then someone at GIA was being naughty...
But for the question: "...any straight purple diamond. So my question is still unanswered lol!!", this example confirmed that GIA straight Purple's do in fact exist.

But speaking of color (sorry on the threadjack), what do you think of this?
I am NOT a big fan of these cuts but when I held this gem in my hand I really didnt mind the cut at all..... :naughty:

spectaculardiamond2.png

Oh jeez... that's ridiculously beautiful.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yoram, that's one of the most stunning FCDs I've ever seen. :love:

Do you know what color grade GIA gave it?
From that pic I'd guess Fancy Intense Orange Pink ... but perhaps they saw some brown in it.

sd2.png

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1409501771|3742466 said:
Yoram, that's one of the most stunning FCDs I've ever seen. :love:

Do you know what color grade GIA gave it?
From that pic I'd guess Fancy Intense Orange Pink ... but perhaps they saw some brown in it.

It is not yours?? I am a bit surprised - normally you are the owner of some of the most beautiful FCD I have ever seen!

IMO a perfect padparadscha color!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually saw a 20 carat pink orange FCD at a diamond exposition, and it was more pink than the one above. It was the most breathtaking FCD I had ever seen. They had a pale blue there too, so expensive, yet the blue was so pale and grey. The Tiffany yellow was there too, but the highlight of the show, at least to me, was that pink orange.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1409503301|3742486 said:
kenny|1409501771|3742466 said:
IMO a perfect padparadscha color!!!

It's very nice, but it looks salmony to me. Reminds me of a malaya garnet.

Still a lovely rare color.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1409322921|3741391 said:
mochiko42|1409322316|3741382 said:
I heard it will be at the Hong Kong show in a couple of weeks and I am planning to go take a look!! (assuming it's on public display).

It is your PS/CS duty to report your findings to us. :naughty:

Of course! I doubt they will let me take a photo but I am curious to see for myself whether it is really that saturated in RL.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dislike the heavy-handed photoshopping of FCDs, especially in those with intense saturation. I think they look much better as is. As for the salmon FCD, with that colour and size, I am surprised we have not heard anything about it. :love:

diamondenvy1

Rough_Rock
Trade

Kroshka

That is a stunning diamond! Besides the obvious- gorgeous color- I love the elongated shape.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results