carat
color
clarity

Questions for planning a rope.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all,

In doing some thinking about budget for a rope, I realized I had some questions about a few things. Are graduated strands generally a bit more than harvest strands, or would it be the other way around? Or does that even affect price? Is going with a custom strand a bit more than finding a pre-made one, or are they about the same? Multi-colour vs single tone, does that change cost one way or the other? I'm hoping to plan for a 54 - 60 inch rope, and getting a sense of relative cost would help with that. Any advice would be welcome.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Mine were made with parts of 4- 17" graduated multi colored round necklaces. I don't know if solid color graduated would cost more or less. I guess it will depend on the grade, size of the pearls and shape you choose to use.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I think the big question is how will you be wearing it most of the time. If you double or triple it up would the graduating strand look the way you would want it too? Other questions could be - What type of pearls were you thinking off? Clasp no clasp? Multiple clasps so you can get a bracelet, or another necklace out of it? Are you worried about it being to heavy?
Would you want to wear it alternative ways like twisted with ribbon for a tornado, or knotted?

I am a BIG lover of ropes (I have at least 5 and 2 major rope projects I want to start soon) and I always ask myself those questions. Hope it helps.

First I think the big factor of cost would be the type of pearl/color and size you were looking for. a Freshwater rope would cost WAY less than say maybe a SS or Tahitian.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Tornado = Torsade. It always equals torsade. I swear my computer corrects it every time. I confused the hell out of HIsano when I said I wanted one of her lovely Tornados!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I've been thinking of a Tahitian rope. Likely AA+/AAA. I'd likely wear it double most of the time. I was thinking like Mapo's harvest strand, or Baby Nurse's multicoloured Tahitian, or Fly Girl's new cherry peacock strand. 54 - 60 inches with a clasp. So I've been debating the timing of the sale (given that it is rapidly ending) vs waiting for the harvest strands vs waiting until I have the money saved in advance and going custom. The timing would be better if I waited, but the sale price on the ropes is nice....and if I went custom I would be inclined to go multicolour either graduated so the larger pearls were off centre (so center when doubled) or in a harvest strand arrangement. I'm just not sure how much of a surcharge might be there for custom design, or the price difference between strands of different configurations. I'm assuming harvest strands might be a bit less given that there is a mix of large and small pearls and less pressure to colour match, but that's just a guess.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cmd2014|1409433317|3742079 said:
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I've been thinking of a Tahitian rope. Likely AA+/AAA. I'd likely wear it double most of the time. I was thinking like Mapo's harvest strand, or Baby Nurse's multicoloured Tahitian, or Fly Girl's new cherry peacock strand. 54 - 60 inches with a clasp. So I've been debating the timing of the sale (given that it is rapidly ending) vs waiting for the harvest strands vs waiting until I have the money saved in advance and going custom. The timing would be better if I waited, but the sale price on the ropes is nice....and if I went custom I would be inclined to go multicolour either graduated so the larger pearls were off centre (so center when doubled) or in a harvest strand arrangement. I'm just not sure how much of a surcharge might be there for custom design, or the price difference between strands of different configurations. I'm assuming harvest strands might be a bit less given that there is a mix of large and small pearls and less pressure to colour match, but that's just a guess.

My rope was custom and I don't think it was more expensive than the ones on the sale page but I purchased it during the sale and got that discount. The harvest strands can be tailored to your budget (ie pearl quality, length of strand). My best advice would be to consider what you want and call PP Tues morning, if only to gain a little more direction.

Good luck : )

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Pearl size, pearl grade, round, baroque, drop and circle all play a part in the pricing. 12mm and below is a lot different than adding in 14 or 15 mm rounds. It all just depends on what is in it. Big factor to you is the sale is over Monday night on the Tahitians and the next special is starting Tuesday morning.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I can only speak for us, but we don't put any premium on commission work over ready-made. I'd say you're going about this a bit the wrong way. Rather that worry about price first, decide what you want and will cherish for years, then work out how to obtain and finance it. Not a lot of point in getting a great deal if the pearls stay in the drawer or when worn they don't make you feel fabulous.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I have had PP make lots of custom items for me- I don't think they've ever charged "extra" for custom. The harvest ropes are generally less expensive than the graduated ropes of tahitians( although obviously they could be waaay more expensive depending on the types of pearls you'd choose!!) and I think they are great for flexibility of wearing- they look good no matter which way you wear them!! And PP is open on Monday if you want to call them and ask their advice before the new sale starts on Tuesday!!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Monday is a national holiday.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone! I have lots to think about! Hope everyone is having a great long weekend!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
4Ranch Girl|1409453791|3742241 said:
Big factor to you is the sale is over Monday night on the Tahitians and the next special is starting Tuesday morning.

That's exactly where I was feeling a bit of time crunch to make a decision. I have lots to think about.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
NacreLover|1409495197|3742395 said:
Monday is a national holiday.

I know, but Jeremy emailed me yesterday (Saturday) and said they would be open on Monday-so I think they will be there. Probably getting ready for the sale on Tuesday!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results