shape
carat
color
clarity

Searching for 8 main Cushion

Buldor

Shiny_Rock
I do not have the dimensions yet. Is it advisable to take higher color for cushion? I can't really see the difference in the facets between the two.. They seem similar.. Possible to point out the difference to me please? :confused:

Thanks

Buldor

Shiny_Rock
Here's the info:

_21774.jpg

_21773.jpg

Buldor

Shiny_Rock
Any thoughts? :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
How that's surprising. I expected them to have different facet plots given the videos. But they don't.

Okay so here's my order of preference.
#1 E 1.6 ERD stone It's 7x7 mm. Pros: It has lovely faceting under the table that I can really see on the video and it's E color. It's a lovely size (spread) and it's got a table under 60 which is what you wanted. Cons: Price

#2 I color JA stone 1.65. It also has great faceting. Has a lovely shape. And is also about 7x7 in spread. Cons: Color.

#3 H 1.5 ERD stone. Pros: Nice H color and great price. Cons: It's significantly smaller than the other two at only 7x6.3 and the video doesn't show me enough of the faceting.

Buldor

Shiny_Rock
Hi Gypsy,
Glad to have you back. I have been thinking the whole night and I can't decide at all. I am caught between the E and the I. Giving up the H due to the size too.

I can't decide which stone is "to die for", a real contender. It will be so much easier if there's ASETS. I need to be sure that the E is worth the extra dollars, or the I is as brilliant as the E (vice versa). So much going thru my mind now, and understanding that these are hard to come by, add on to my anxiety to make the right choice.

What other factors should I look at in making the decision. I would like to call in to look at the stones personally but it's going to cost me another few hundreds to do so and the whole lot of hassle.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the E is in budget, just get that one.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so here's what I'd do.
Contact JA. Buy the I stone. But tell them and make sure they understand, that they cannot ship it until you give the OK. Ask them to just hold it for now.
Ask Mark what it would take to get an ASET on the E. Have him do that. If the E ASETs out. Then get a refund on the I and buy it. If the E doesn't ASET out you tell JA to ship the I to you.

Buldor

Shiny_Rock
Please help me with this doubt. The shape of the E seem "inconsistent"? The top right side and the left curve seem different, and I am not sure if its due to the angle. The right seem to be more rounded.

I was putting the pictures next to each other for a comparison when I realise the difference, but I am not sure. The E pictures are in black background, and please refer to the lower left picture.

_21792.jpg

_21793.jpg

Buldor

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1409362794|3741799 said:
Contact JA. Buy the I stone. But tell them and make sure they understand, that they cannot ship it until you give the OK. Ask them to just hold it for now.
Ask Mark what it would take to get an ASET on the E. Have him do that. If the E ASETs out. Then get a refund on the I and buy it. If the E doesn't ASET out you tell JA to ship the I to you.

Oh, we can do that? Pay and hold shipment?

So mean time do I need to pay Mark to while waiting for the E ASETS?

Buldor

Shiny_Rock
JulieN|1409362659|3741796 said:
If the E is in budget, just get that one.

Hi JulieN, it's slightly out of budget but still manageable. I am just very worried that making the wrong choice, and I will go thru another round of searching.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As I said, I'd pick any of the ERD choices over JA, so what I personally would do is tell the ERD people I will commit to buying with them and make a deposit if that helps.

Then have the stones called in for ASETs and photos. The spinning videos are ok but the stones are at an angle and you cannot get a perfectly face-up view.

Buldor

Shiny_Rock
So it could be an angle issue?

Buldor

Shiny_Rock
Blue nile plot is not what I am looking for. Thanks so much for the recommendation.

Buldor

Shiny_Rock
CharmyPoo|1408182593|3733568 said:
I really wouldn't custom cut this stone. I want to see your friend's stone that you like because a high crown is not what really goes with these 8 main cushions.

If this is what you want, ERD comes across them once in a while. I also know a cutter that cuts these stones.

What was wrong with Blue Nile again? Their signature cushions are 8 main and look pretty fantastic to me. I like them better than the BGD cushions because of the softer outline on the Blue Nile. If I was buying a modern cushion right now, I would likely buy the Blue Nile Signature Cushion although I wish I did that last year when the prices were lower.

Hi Charmypoo.. You mentioned that you know a cutter that cut these stones, may I know who please?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Buldor|1409365055|3741819 said:
Gypsy|1409362794|3741799 said:

Oh, we can do that? Pay and hold shipment?

So mean time do I need to pay Mark to while waiting for the E ASETS?

Call JA and ask.

And also call Mark and see what it would take to get an ASET. What you need to do at this point is call both vendors and speak to them. Even if it means getting up in the middle of the night to make the call, because of the time zone differences.

Buldor

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the advices.. :)

Buldor

Shiny_Rock
I had gotten the front profile of the E diamond, still pending for the ASET, and I will like to hear all of your views on the symmetry. The lower left corner is more "pointed" and seem unbalance? Or this is common in cushion?

Gypsy and Chamypoo.. Please kindly share your valuable advices. How does this diamond look on the picture? Also, I been looking at BlueNile Signature Cushion these few days.. All their cushions are cut to perfect symmetry, how does it look different from the 8 main plot I am looking for?

Many thanks!

_21925.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's going to look very different. The faceting is exactly like a round to the naked eye, but in a square shape.

I love this stone so far. Let's wait to see what the ASET looks like. But I really like this one.

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
i'm very late jumping in on this, but i would say you can't go wrong with an ERD cushion. The ERD E cushion looks phenomenal, and my personal favorite of all your options. my previous engagement ring was an modern 8-main cushion from ERD, slightly larger than this, but exact same faceting and square rounded corners shape. I adored it from every angle and once you set you, you won't even notice subtle differences in pointedness of the facets on the table. If I recall correctly, my cushion had a VG symmetry grading and it looked perfect in my eyes.

Just thought I'd add my two cents.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also "symmetry" on the lab report is NOT referring to optical symmetry. It's referring to the way the facets meet each other at the junctures.

Also you are talking about something that is about he size of a pencil eraser. And you are dissecting it magnified by 40x the size. Trust me you won't notice a THING about about pointy this or that.

It's a truly gorgeous stone. You are just nervous and trying to find fault because you are anxious. Take a deep breath, wait for the ASET. If it comes though nicely, then buy it and be happy you found a gorgeous stone that meets your requirements, in budget.

Okay?

Buldor

Shiny_Rock
Sweet pea: You upgraded your Cushion?

Gypsy: Yes! I am extremely nervous. I am afraid that I will make the wrong choice, and getting it just because I have been wanting so long and afraid to miss out. The feeling is so difference when I purchase my rounds. Cushion is so new to me and I really don't know what to expect.

This time round, I will get it custom made first so I won't be seeing the "naked" diamond. All these are adding to my indecisiveness and doubts. :wall:

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ERD cushion is going to have some leakage under the table, the BN Signature cushions don't, and it looks like they have a much stronger contrast pattern.

Buldor

Shiny_Rock
I had spent some time reading about BN Signature cushion and can't really find much pictures on it. BN website doesn't provide actual picture of the diamond? In this case, we will only buy based on certificate? This is something new to me and am surprised. But I have read that their performance is amazing, and its round H&A in cushion shape.

Do anyone here have any pictures to share please?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
The type of perfection you are looking for cannot be found in a generic cushion. This is why I recommended that you go for the BN Signature cushion.

Scroll to the bottom of my thread for real life photos of the BN cushion. I suspect they will all look very similar.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cushion-101-my-experience-in-making-a-harry-winston-halo.183473/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cushion-101-my-experience-in-making-a-harry-winston-halo.183473/[/URL]

Madison2

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Buldor,
I completely understand your dilema as I went through this same process finding my perfect cushion diamond. I had to pass on two 8 main cushions due to the light leakage. So now I am back to my first original choice what I call finding the needle in a haystack as per say. I had originally found this beautiful diamond which out performed so many other cushions I saw and resembles the heart and arrows cushion. This is my diamond facet pattern below and aset image. Gemologist say it will be very difficult to find another cushion with this facet pattern and performance. The performance is great and I have not been able to find another one exactly like it since I wanted a little larger than 2.30. So I think I am going to just count my blessings that I did find this great performing diamond and start working on choosing a setting for it.

Buldor, I wish you only the best with your venture and let me know what your final choice is. Good luck! :D

8_main_facet_cushion.jpg

_280.jpeg

Buldor

Shiny_Rock
CharmyPoo|1409747021|3743958 said:
The type of perfection you are looking for cannot be found in a generic cushion. This is why I recommended that you go for the BN Signature cushion.

Scroll to the bottom of my thread for real life photos of the BN cushion. I suspect they will all look very similar.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cushion-101-my-experience-in-making-a-harry-winston-halo.183473/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cushion-101-my-experience-in-making-a-harry-winston-halo.183473/[/URL]

Yes, I am quite a perfectionist. :shifty:
Do you still have your 8 main or it's been upgraded? :love:

Buldor

Shiny_Rock
Hi Madison2, I remember reading your posting. If you don't mind me asking, who helped you in sourcing your beauty? I too, am hoping to find one Cushion that gives me the "Wow! This is it" reactions.

Not being able to view before purchase makes things tougher than it seem, especially for fancy shapes.

Madison2

Brilliant_Rock
Buldor|1409758817|3744053 said:
Hi Madison2, I remember reading your posting. If you don't mind me asking, who helped you in sourcing your beauty? I too, am hoping to find one Cushion that gives me the "Wow! This is it" reactions.

Not being able to view before purchase makes things tougher than it seem, especially for fancy shapes.

Yes, its tough not being able to view in person before purchasing. I found my diamond on the web in pricescope diamond search. I found it contacted the vendor then made an appointment to see it in person. Luckly I am in New York so I can view from all the pricescope vendors that are located in NY. I ended up purchasing the diamond but have a return window so if something larger comes with the exact facet pattern and great aset I can exchange and pay the difference for larger diamond. But as of today, nothing yet has come in that is larger.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BN Signature stones all have pictures on their GCAL report.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results