shape
carat
color
clarity

If bigger really is better - what would you do?

Bling it on

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

So I'm on the market for a new 5 stone diamond band to celebrate my 5 year wedding anniversary with DH. I would love to replace my current ering as over the years I've fallen out of love with it and now that I have 2 young daughters (one of whom is still a baby) I find that a solitaire with quite pronounced prongs is terribly impractical for family life. (Additionally, I bought the diamond before I found Pricescope and its an understatement to say that the one I chose does not have the best cut!)

As I'm not currently working, I do have a limited budget. I have found two 5 stone rings that I really like and can afford. The first is the 5 stone shared prong diamond band from Whiteflash with 1.00 tcw and the second is the 5 stone shared prong diamond band with airline from IDJ with 1.25 tcw. Now here is my dilemma: which choice makes more sense? Go with WF and experience the ACA melee that everyone is talking about or go with IDJ and get a larger total carat weight which will look substantially bigger on my 4.75 finger?

If it were up to you - what would you do? Now I have been reassured that the diamonds in the ring to be provided by IDJ will be of ideal/excellent cut quality (yes, I did ask for 'Pricescope quality' ideal stones!) But even so, I'm not convinced that the larger total carat weight size can compete with the benefit of having ACA melee stones. Also, does anyone know if the settings from Whiteflash are better than the Unique Settings of NY that IDJ uses?

Help! I'm going mad. I've changed my mind about 10 times and DH looks like he wants to leave the room every time I ask him about it. I just can't make a decision. :wall:

But I''m sure this may have happened to a few of you before. Please weigh in with opinions so maybe it will help me make a final decision tomorrow!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a ACA excellent diamond.. I know that I'd stick with that.. the ACA diamonds.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think bigger is always better, personally. If this is to stand alone, that might be a different story.

I also wasn't a fan of whiteflash's jewelry workmanship. Their diamonds are nice but I found their workmanship to be quite inferior and getting it rectified to be a nightmare. Others didn't experience that.

I have never worked with ID Jewelry so I cannot compare their diamond quality.

Bling it on

Rough_Rock
Ame - i have a few thin bands that I plan to stack with it but it is not getting paired with anything substantial like an ering so it needs to have enough presence to look blingy with just a thin band accompanying it. Do you mind elaborating about the issues you had with your WF jewelry? I am located in Australia so it would be a nightmare if I had to return it due to any defects in the manufacturing process

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unique settings are solid. There are threads here showing their settings in detail. I tried on some of IDJ's eternities and they were very nice. A 4.5ctw one is on my wish list. If you get PS quality stones, I'd go with bigger ctw.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
I'd go with the ACA's. They're just perfect cut, and sparkle like mad. I've had several things done by them, and their workmanship has been perfect each time. Rings, earrings, a pendant, all perfect.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
becleeham said:
Ame - i have a few thin bands that I plan to stack with it but it is not getting paired with anything substantial like an ering so it needs to have enough presence to look blingy with just a thin band accompanying it. Do you mind elaborating about the issues you had with your WF jewelry? I am located in Australia so it would be a nightmare if I had to return it due to any defects in the manufacturing process
yes that would be quite a situation. However, assuming all goes well it will still be a nice piece with superior diamonds for less than buying locally.

In short, i had my original wedding band made by them and their castings were repeatedly flawed causing them to arrive with cracks and pits more than once, or to crack within one brief wear if they were not already cracked. I had to send the band I was married with back immediately following my ceremony to be remade. It was a battle to get a refund after several failed attempts and I did not appreciate accusations along the way that items that arrived already with issues were somehow damaged by me "falling". I am not the only one who had similar issues. Their diamonds were never the issue, they're lovely. I was less than pleased with their craftsmanship on the jewelry pieces themselves and the awful customer service after they had my money.

I am hopeful that in the last several years their techniques across the board have improved to avoid such situations.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've owned pieces by Unique setting co and they are well made.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
Go with the ACA stones.

You won't be disappointed!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
becleeham|1409314075|3741276 said:
Hi all,

As I'm not currently working, I do have a limited budget. I have found two 5 stone rings that I really like and can afford. The first is the 5 stone shared prong diamond band from Whiteflash with 1.00 tcw and the second is the 5 stone shared prong diamond band with airline from IDJ with 1.25 tcw. Now here is my dilemma: which choice makes more sense? Go with WF and experience the ACA melee that everyone is talking about or go with IDJ and get a larger total carat weight which will look substantially bigger on my 4.75 finger?
To give you an idea of the finger coverage ...this is a shared prong 1.27ctw on my wife's 4.75 finger from WF.

_21782.jpg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why isn't she wearing that with the big daddy, DF?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1409339835|3741583 said:
Why isn't she wearing that with the big daddy, DF?
She does... ;)) She wore this 1.15ct + the 5 stone ring so that I can take a photo.

Bling it on

Rough_Rock
Dancing Fire - the 1.27ct looks really substantial on your wife's finger! I won't be wearing a solitaire with it but I think a 5 stone can hold its own. I ended up going with the 1.00 tcw from Whiteflash. What was your experience working with a Whiteflash? And are the ACAs worth it?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
The diamonds really are beautiful, never an issue in that department. Had you not ordered, you could have also considered Brian Gavin Diamonds, who is the original designer and cutter of the ACA.

You should see DF's wife's big daddy. Glad she's wearing that big boy.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
becleeham|1409352850|3741728 said:
Dancing Fire - the 1.27ct looks really substantial on your wife's finger! I won't be wearing a solitaire with it but I think a 5 stone can hold its own. I ended up going with the 1.00 tcw from Whiteflash. What was your experience working with a Whiteflash? And are the ACAs worth it?
I have bought from WF w/o any problems, and as for their ACAs?. I'm willing to pay a little extra premium for well cut stones.

I think the 1ctw will look perfect on her 4.75 finger... :appl:

Bling it on

Rough_Rock
Ame - BGD would have been my first choice but the cost was a little prohibitive for a 5 stone at the 1.00 tcw. I'm not working at the moment (maternity leave) and really had to save for this ring so it was a choice between WF and IDJ (though I could have gone 1.25ct with IDJ.)
Maybe it will be time to try BGD next year for a DBTY necklace when funds are not so scarce! I really hope I don't have any issues with their workmanship going with WF. In the end, the benefits of the ACAs win out, IDJ promised ''Pricescope quality stones' but that is just not as good as guaranteed ACA hearts and arrows melee

Bling it on

Rough_Rock
Dancing Fire|1409354753|3741746 said:
I have bought from WF w/o any problems, and as for their ACAs?. I'm willing to pay a little extra premium for well cut stones.

DF - the ring is actually for me. My dear husband rarely picks out jewellery for me and if he did he would probably go to Michael Hill jewellers! I'm hoping the 1.00tcw will be substantial enough. Can't wait to see what the ACAs are like!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
becleeham|1409358475|3741766 said:

DF - the ring is actually for me. My dear husband rarely picks out jewellery for me and if he did he would probably go to Michael Hill jewellers! I'm hoping the 1.00tcw will be substantial enough. Can't wait to see what the ACAs are like!
The 1ctw will look great on your 4.75 finger. The 1.27ctw on my wife's 4.75 finger is starting to spill over to the side...YKWIM?.. :lol:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you'll be happy with the WF 5 stone ring.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
becleeham|1409358295|3741764 said:
Ame - BGD would have been my first choice but the cost was a little prohibitive for a 5 stone at the 1.00 tcw. I'm not working at the moment (maternity leave) and really had to save for this ring so it was a choice between WF and IDJ (though I could have gone 1.25ct with IDJ.)
Maybe it will be time to try BGD next year for a DBTY necklace when funds are not so scarce! I really hope I don't have any issues with their workmanship going with WF. In the end, the benefits of the ACAs win out, IDJ promised ''Pricescope quality stones' but that is just not as good as guaranteed ACA hearts and arrows melee
I am going to have faith that things have gotten better since that experience, and that all will go smoothly. I think you are going to be blown away by those stones though. So gird those maternal loins.

Bling it on

Rough_Rock
Dancing Fire|1409360364|3741778 said:
becleeham|1409358475|3741766 said:

The 1ctw will look great on your 4.75 finger. The 1.27ctw on my wife's 4.75 finger is starting to spill over to the side...YKWIM?.. :lol:

Dancing Fire - do you happen to have a perspective shot of your wife wearing the 1.27 tcw 5 stone band? I would like to see whether or not the band has enough presence or be worn alone or if it needs to be stacked with other rings?

Bailey_Lou

Shiny_Rock
I would go for the better ACA stones. I've ordered 3 settings from Whiteflash and have never had issues (not to minimize the issues of others). I have also had stud earrings made from them. In my experience their service has been top notch. I've gone in person as well and they are just as helpful. It's unfortunate that issues occurred for Ame but for ME the service and settings have been stellar. I also think their melee is wonderful. I can see the symmetry even in the melee with my h&a viewer and I've had several compliments on the sparkliness from across the room.

Bailey_Lou

Shiny_Rock
Sorry, you already ordered the ting LOL. Post pics when it comes in :)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, pics please when you get it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results