shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideas For This "Unique" Diamond

sturgeon123456

Rough_Rock
Hello all newb here and I have a rather unique stone coming from DBL....David is such a wonderful person to speak to and I feel bad as I left him hanging after the purchase without really having any ideas as to what to do with the stone.

So normally I would not purchase something as unique as this (see pics below)......however, my girlfriend loves turtles and we are coming up to an important milestone so I had to jump on this stone.

Anyway she likes larger rings and prefers white gold....any suggestions of how to set this, the orientation of the turtle (makes me giggle just typing that) bezel ideas as well as halo or not etc etc would be greatly appreciated.

I am hoping to get some great ideas from all the people on here that are much smarter than me as well as more experienced. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I think once I have some good input I can take it to David and it will make things easier for him as well

Specs....

Roughly 2.4 CTS
Turtle

r6063-turtle-diamond-a.jpg
r6063-turtle-diamond-a.jpg

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
Very interesting! Is it out of the question to consider turning it into a solitaire pendant?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is cute! What are its dimensions? Are there any durability concerns with the legs?

I'm thinking it would look great on a bracelet - she'd be able to look at it more easily than if it was set in a pendant.

sturgeon123456

Rough_Rock
UrsTx|1409279238|3741141 said:
Very interesting! Is it out of the question to consider turning it into a solitaire pendant?

Thanks for the suggestion!

Thats what David was thinking but I am afraid it might not have the same impact as a ring......she just really likes rings and large jewelry so a small pendant wouldn't work unless it was some elaborate thing with circles and hoops and blah blah blah....lol sorry its just her taste and mine are slightly different ;-)

I am open to the pendant idea but want to exhaust ring options first

sturgeon123456

Rough_Rock
VRBeauty|1409279418|3741144 said:
It is cute! What are its dimensions? Are there any durability concerns with the legs?

I'm thinking it would look great on a bracelet - she'd be able to look at it more easily than if it was set in a pendant.

Bracelet is a great idea TBH......

Dimensions are
MEASUREMENTS: 12.00 x 8.35 x 2.75 mm
TOTAL DEPTH: 32.9%

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How cool. I imagine you'd have to bezel the entire outline, otherwise it's likely to chip or break. I found this picture online which has the metal in an interesting outline and then flowing into split shank from the flippers.

turtle-ring-in-18k-gold.jpg

sturgeon123456

Rough_Rock
baby monster|1409280011|3741150 said:
How cool. I imagine you'd have to bezel the entire outline, otherwise it's likely to chip or break. I found this picture online which has the metal in an interesting outline and then flowing into split shank from the flippers.

Now that I Like, a lot!

I originally had pictured the diamond orientation to be east/west....I like the north south better.

That ring looks great, can a full bezel that outlines the turtle be surrounded by a halo or would that look weird?

Should the bezel be an oval with the turtle inset and diamonds around that to give it the appearance its sitting on something (I just made myself giggle again).

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I kind of see a full halo as too much. To me, maybe doing outside bezel in metal but then outlining the inside of flippers with melee would look more interesting. Perhaps DBL can do CADs both ways for you?

I like your other thought of placing the turtle on something. I'm thinking of a wide pave band ring with turtle sitting on top. You can do diamond pave or colored stone pave. That'll have a lot of presence on the hand.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First, what are the dimensions of the turtle? :lol: (That is a first for me as far as questions go on this forum!)

sturgeon123456

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions....

Yes this is a rather fun project and I will be sure to post pics upon completion.

CADs are a great idea but I don't know if DBL does those, I will ask David although my ring budget isn't huge.

Outline bezel with melee around the turtles hands would be really neat!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know this is not what you prefer, but I think it would make a great pendant (bezeled, yes). If you are coming up on an important milestone and she opens up a ring box and there is a turtle ring, I am not so sure she is going to think this is as funny as you do.

sturgeon123456

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1409284550|3741175 said:
I know this is not what you prefer, but I think it would make a great pendant (bezeled, yes). If you are coming up on an important milestone and she opens up a ring box and there is a turtle ring, I am not so sure she is going to think this is as funny as you do.

I understand what you are saying but she would love a ring most. I just think its funny asking how to set the turtle.....but the meaning behind the turtle is quite deep.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sturgeon123456|1409283418|3741172 said:

That would be very cool - and it would protect the little guy's appendages in a ring setting.

Is this going to be THE ring?

umbrella

Rough_Rock
This is fun! :appl: The video of that turtle is amazing. It sounds like she'll really love the turtle ring. Does she like horses too? :lol:

r6018-horse-head-diamond-c.jpg
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-colorless-diamond-76ct-j-si2-horse-head-gia-great-specimen-r6018

Back to the turtle... I agree with the plain bezel set. I don't think you need to use any more stones, just let the turtle diamond shine through. I think east-west would be cute, but might be too bulky. North-face might be more comfortable to wear.

sturgeon123456

Rough_Rock
VRBeauty|1409289257|3741211 said:
sturgeon123456|1409283418|3741172 said:

That would be very cool - and it would protect the little guy's appendages in a ring setting.

Is this going to be THE ring?

Thanks!!

No its not going to be THE ring....thats another story but I have a good man looking for me....I actually purchased a stone for her only to find out through some random digging that she doesn't like princess cuts.....ooooooops.

So I will have the original stone I purchased made into a mens ring and this turtle is a diversion.....jeez I hope she's not on these forums lol

sturgeon123456

Rough_Rock
umbrella|1409292575|3741221 said:
This is fun! :appl: The video of that turtle is amazing. It sounds like she'll really love the turtle ring. Does she like horses too? :lol:

r6018-horse-head-diamond-c.jpg
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-colorless-diamond-76ct-j-si2-horse-head-gia-great-specimen-r6018

Back to the turtle... I agree with the plain bezel set. I don't think you need to use any more stones, just let the turtle diamond shine through. I think east-west would be cute, but might be too bulky. North-face might be more comfortable to wear.

Such a nice cut....but no she seems to stick to turtles, no horses

North south is perfect and bezel is a must to protect the extremities of the turtle.....

Now hoe to incorporate the bezel into the ring and how do you bring the shank off the bezel? Its not a common shape like a square or a circle although the north south orientation helps even out the symmetry.....

I am thinking that the split shank as suggested in one of the photos above is probably the best option

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
some type of pendant.. yellow gold.. mounted east west.. that would be my choice. interesting stone. she has a great guy!

emmebee

Shiny_Rock
That little guy is so cute! I agree with N-S orientation or slightly tilted like Gypsy proposed. I LOVE the split shank - it looks so fluid and not bulky.. honestly my first choice by FAR!

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So...

1. I love tortoises. Like seriously LOVE them. Turtles too.
2. I love rough and raw diamonds.

In conclusion, I think your stone is freaking AMAZING!

That's all I have to contribute here.

(except that if it were me, I'd set it in a heavy lightly hammered gold chunky full bezel, something very rustic looking. But it's not mine. But OMG I wish it was mine!!!)

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
that video was amazing!!! I love it! You have lots of suggestions here already, I'd too stick with what she likes-- rings. GL! Can't wait to see what you decide to do!

sturgeon123456

Rough_Rock
Thank you to everyone for the great ideas and kind words.....

Hand hammered, heavy, yellow gold.....with bezel that outlines the turtle and diamond pave on shoulders of the ring coming down the sides a bout halfway....thats my decision!!!!

I will be sure to post pictures when its done!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
sturgeon123456|1409338601|3741566 said:
Gypsy|1409294693|3741228 said:
IF you want a ring I would set the turtle at an angle, like these. These are all rings. (you might save this picture for a future milestone inspiration gift down the road). http://www.mauidivers.com/Designers-And-Collections/Honu-Turtle-Collection/_/Turtle-Ring-with-Diamonds-in-14K-Yellow-Gold-13mm

Thank you so much Gypsy and yes the angle is perfect, I love it.

+1!!!
Excellent find Gypsy!!!

I love the angle of the terrapin in relation the finger......really nice.

sturgeon123456

Rough_Rock
Rockdiamond|1409339734|3741581 said:
sturgeon123456|1409338601|3741566 said:
Gypsy|1409294693|3741228 said:
IF you want a ring I would set the turtle at an angle, like these. These are all rings. (you might save this picture for a future milestone inspiration gift down the road). http://www.mauidivers.com/Designers-And-Collections/Honu-Turtle-Collection/_/Turtle-Ring-with-Diamonds-in-14K-Yellow-Gold-13mm

Thank you so much Gypsy and yes the angle is perfect, I love it.

+1!!!
Excellent find Gypsy!!!

I love the angle of the terrapin in relation the finger......really nice.

Alright David......I think we know what direction we are going in with this unique stone.

Lets see how she turns out :)

Thanks again to everyone for their ideas, input and assistance....you guys are all truly amazing and so helpful.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This forum never ceases to amaze me! Someone posts an unusual stone and BAM! all of these wonderful posters spread their expertise and present pictures and ideas as to how to set the stone. I have never seen anyone stumped. I am so happy I found you all!...back to the turtle...I would make it a pendant in an unplated white gold bezel with a black leather rope chain.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have any comments on setting this stone, but I do have to say that it's a pretty damn cool stone.

Good find, OP!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey this is fun for me. I'm happy to help. Looks like you have a plan, and it sounds lovely. I totally agree with the hammered yellow gold.

Can't wait to see it once it is done!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results