shape
carat
color
clarity

What is your current dream project?

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I recently found these pictures of the Gellner Mermaid strand and fell in love. I love the versatility of the necklace: it can be worn doubled or tripled, the length can be adjusted by the clasp, and the Y can be worn in front for a more casual look or hidden in back for a more formal look.

It could probably also be styled similar to this:

This style clasp from HHPmom’s gorgeous strand would also work:

I want to do something like this in pastel Tahitians. I am guessing the Gellner Mermaid requires 55-60” of pearls to be tripled and still have a little tail hanging down. The pearls look to be fairly uniform in size and round or near round (although I see 1 WSS drop). 55+ inches of round pearls would be too expensive, but I think the style could still work with a “harvest” type strand of mixed pastel baroques in different colors, shapes and sizes. I love the pastel strands that Icy Jade and Misskittycat have.

So, what pearly item are you lusting over right now?

gellner_mermaid_y_rope_0.jpg

gellner_mermaid_y_rope_1.jpg

tahitians__andy_muller_0.jpg

tara_strand__hhpmom_0.jpg

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love those mermaid strands, Kay :love: !

I'm lusting over a pastel harvest strand. But any pastel Tahitian strand would scratch that itch :lickout: .

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Kay - This is interesting because I am working with Hisano right now on a Tahitian rope, and one of my requests was to be able to wear it lariat style. I actually found that first photo from Gellner, and I would be interested if anyone can track down that particular clasp. :cheeky:

What Hisano and I decided to do was to use their equestrian clasp and when I want to wear my rope lariat style, I will need to use a pearl shortener. The issue is that the short end of the equestrian clasp is too thick to fit between round pearls, but the pearl shortener is narrow enough to easily slip in between the pearls. I think the pearl shortener idea will work, as long as I don't lose the pearl shortener. :errrr:

I do already own a nifty pearl enhancer that I can wear on the long end of the lariat. My rope is not going to be long enough to wear tripled, but given how heavy such a strand would be, I think that is just as well. I love that look, I'm just not sure I can actually wear it for any length of time. :))

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
mapo|1407960691|3731710 said:
Kay, the mermaid strand is beautiful. I think PP has a similar finding where you can wear a necklace as a Y or a regular strand.

http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-524-frostlink-14k-gold-clasp.aspx

I thought about using it for my latest project, but decided against it at this time.

I bought that clasp and used it with one of my Tahitian strand. It's about 22" long. I don't know if it can handle the weight of something over 50" though.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
The FrostLink clasp from PP is lovely -- that would be an option.

I hadn't thought of the weight of the strand. I wear a 57" akoya strand without any problems, but those pearls are just 7-7.5 mm.

Fly Girl, I am very curious to see neck shots when you finish your project. It will be interesting to see how the shortener works to create the lariat.

This is just a fantasy for now, as it will be a while before I can justify buying a long strand of Tahitians, since i just bought an 18" strand and a 35" rope at the Ruckus. I thought about trying to do something like this with the Ruckus rope, but I don't think it will work with the way the pearls are graduated.

Ruckus strands:

I really want a gorgeous "Spring/Summer" pastel strand someday.

tahitians__ruckus_2014_0.jpg

pastel_tahitians__rio_pearl_hk_-_icy_jade_.jpg

pastel_tahitians__rio_pearl_-_icy_jade_5.jpg

pastel_tahitians__andy_muller_-_misskittycat_1.jpg

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
wow- I didn't realize there are so many others who like the pastels as much as me. Pastel tahitian lovers unite-lol. I keep being told they aren't as valuable, sought after, etc. But I love them and I'm glad to see that others do, too. My dream project (today, anyway) is a pastel harvest 36" to 40" strand. Anything longer than that is going to be too heavy for me.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
pinkjewel|1407964238|3731753 said:
wow- I didn't realize there are so many others who like the pastels as much as me. Pastel tahitian lovers unite-lol. I keep being told they aren't as valuable, sought after, etc. But I love them and I'm glad to see that others do, too. My dream project (today, anyway) is a pastel harvest 36" to 40" strand. Anything longer than that is going to be too heavy for me.

Less valuable and sought after sounds good to my pocketbook, lol. ;)) Your dream pastel harvest strand sounds great to me.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A pic of a lariat necklace from PP that I gifted to a friend back in 2008, can't remember the spec and I cannot find my order history on PP:

pp_lariatnecklaceyg.jpg

This is a pic of my own 8-9mm Gem Fresh CFWP necklace from TPO with a basket clasp so that I can wear it between 18cm to 20cm to suit the outfit, this strand is the workhorse in my formal work wardrobe:

tpogemfreshlariatnecklace.jpg

Lariat necklace findings and other basket clasps can be found via KGH Jewellery that supplies to PP (the Frost Link is theirs):

http://www.kgh.co.il/Gallery

DK :))

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
dk168, your first picture is the frost link clasp from PP. I knotted one of my strand using that clasp. That year was the first year PP added the frost link clasp to the website. I remember you bought that gift.

Kay, I like the Gellner picture of the Tahitian rope. I don't have the clasp from Tara's strand in the 4th picture of your post. I used the Señora clasp for my Tahitian rope. It lets me hook a pendant to the rope as an option when I double it. The 4th picture was from Tara's website that I lust after. Seeing it IRL at Saks made me drool.

I visited PP in 2009 and bought 2 pastel strands. I removed some pearls and now what's left is a 32" pastel strand. Not a harvest strand but I like the soft colors.

Icy jade and misskittycat's pastel strands are gorgeous. I like the way Andy Muller matched them.

pastel_strand.jpg

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Kay|1407965702|3731774 said:
pinkjewel|1407964238|3731753 said:

Less valuable and sought after sounds good to my pocketbook, lol. ;)) Your dream pastel harvest strand sounds great to me.

yes, we like "good for the pocketbook!!", but maybe we shouldn't be telling anyone else how much we like the pastel tahitians. :shhh: You know what happens as things become popular- the prices skyrocket!!!!! :$$):

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Kay|1407962909|3731737 said:
Fly Girl, I am very curious to see neck shots when you finish your project. It will be interesting to see how the shortener works to create the lariat.

Here is how I think the shortener will work. The first photo I took at PP during the ruckus when I was playing around with my pearls and the equestrian clasp. My clasp will be yellow gold, which is on order, so I'm using a white gold clasp here. This photo shows that the small end of the clasp has a squared off shape, which will be too wide to go between the pearls.

The second photo shows why I wanted to go with the equestrian clasp, instead of something like the FrostLink clasp. I am hoping that I can hang my big Kamoka drop from the end of the clasp when it is fastened lariat style.

The third photo was sent to me by Hisano to show how nicely the pearl shortener works with the equestrian clasp to hook the short squared off end to the pearls. The last photo is a closer look at the clasp so you can see how the pearl shortener works.

The main thing I'm still wondering about is if this is all going to look as amazing as I hope it will when all of the pieces are put together. :pray: :twirl:

hfgeques20140727_143006.jpg

hieq20140727_143343.jpg

hisano_photo_of_pearlshortener.jpg

hisano_photo_of_pearlshortener2.jpg

Kay

Ideal_Rock
ckrickett|1407970249|3731827 said:
One of my dream projects is a 35" rope with pearls identical to the Keira strand. For the clasp I would want either a YG equestrian or one of the Monili Collection orchid clasps! I LOVE them! :silenced: :wall: :love: :cheeky: :wacko:

A 35" Keira style strand sounds amazing. :love: Both of those clasps are beautiful.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
dk168, both of your basket choices look good. KGH has a lot of great options.

HHPmom, I love the colors in your pastel strand.

Fly Girl, ok, it makes sense now that I see the pictures. Your strand should be amazing when it is finished.

Ok, so I can see using the FrostLink or something similar where there is a dangling pearl at the lariat end, and then if I wanted to wear it doubled with both ends hanging down like the one Andy Muller strand, I could hang a pendant/enhancer from the other end.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
I'm loving this thread! Great pictures of beautiful pearls and the clasps are amazing!! Thanks everyone!

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Fly Girl, that's clever use of the pearl shortener. Thanks for sharing. This opens up some options for me try with what I currently have.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
HHPmom|1408023990|3732239 said:
Fly Girl, that's clever use of the pearl shortener. Thanks for sharing. This opens up some options for me try with what I currently have.
Hisano is one clever lady, isn't she? Please come back with photos of different ways to wear your pearls. :wavey: :appl:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Flygirl that's gorgeous! I can't wait to see it.

My two dream projects would be a 'power strand' like Kay's Keira necklace, and a 36 inch harvest strand with detachable bracelet. Those would probably make me complete. Oh wait...I'd love a multicolor round Tahitian too.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Kay|1408007371|3732130 said:
ckrickett|1407970249|3731827 said:
One of my dream projects is a 35" rope with pearls identical to the Keira strand. For the clasp I would want either a YG equestrian or one of the Monili Collection orchid clasps! I LOVE them! :silenced: :wall: :love: :cheeky: :wacko:

A 35" Keira style strand sounds amazing. :love: Both of those clasps are beautiful.

I know! I absolutely LOVE the orchid/exotic pearl clasps, but if I were to ever get one I would wan;t it to be for a truly amazing piece! And the Keira strand has been on the top of my list forever (a close second my kamoka strand I am forever saving for)

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
An improved Keira strand.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
bsomlo|1408152753|3733344 said:
An improved Keira strand.

How would you improve it? Longer, bigger, smoother, different layout?

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I am still craving a long rope with a clasp that lets it be worn lariat style. I go back and forth between pastel Tahitians and WSS baroques. (I can't afford to do both anytime soon.) I found a couple of photos of WSS mixed with Tahitian keshis that looked pretty cool.

I also like the look of this multicolor SS necklace, although I do not usually care for golden pearls on me. I wonder if it would still look good with all white, or replacing the GSS with silvery Tahitians.

wss_baroque_and_silver_tahitian_keshi_lariat_2.png

wss_baroque_and_silver_tahitian_keshi_lariat.png

wss__amp__tahitian_keshi__consider_with_pastel_or_soc_keshi_.png

multicolor_baroque_south_sea_pearl_necklace1.jpg

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Not a dream project but a Dream!!!!! I LOVE this bracelet!!!
18kt, diamonds, and conch pearls!!!! :wall: :love:

monliorchidbracelet.jpg

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
Kay - I have this style on my wish list too! The white SS & keshi pieces are dramatic and so cool! And I've admired that gold & white SS strand since 4RanchGirl posted it. If you see more of this style please post them - I love window shopping!

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
ckrickett - Now that is a dream! Oh my, if only I could win the lottery!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
I also dream of a pastel "harvest strand" of Tahitians, with lots of keshi of all sorts mixed in :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results