shape
carat
color
clarity

PP Tahitian pearls on sale!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm realizing that I can't really see much difference between my two strands. My first strand was described as having dark green body colour and strong peacock overtones, and the other is my new blue-green strand with strong peacock overtones. I've been holding them up in different lights and IRL the difference between them is very subtle. Here are some pics of them together:

The good news is that I can wear them together.

_21751.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
cmd2014 - Thanks for confirming what I suspected about the description of body color for this lot of drop shaped Tahitian pearls from PP. It's a general description, and not an exact one for every pearl.

Some strands are described as dark green body color and others as green body color, and still others, as blue-green body color. I selected a long strand with green body color, thinking that most of the pearls would be a lighter shade of green than dark green. When I look carefully at my strand under just the right lighting, I can see a few pearls that definitely have a darker green body color and a couple that have bluer tones.

You can also see how some strands are described as baroque in shape and others as drop. Again, from this particular pearl lot, the differences are slight, and I expect that strands from this particular lot will go together well.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
gorgeous, renwea!

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
cmd2014|1409232832|3740667 said:
I'm realizing that I can't really see much difference between my two strands. My first strand was described as having dark green body colour and strong peacock overtones, and the other is my new blue-green strand with strong peacock overtones. I've been holding them up in different lights and IRL the difference between them is very subtle. Here are some pics of them together:

cmd 2014 - Neck photos together please, I am hoping my two green bodied strands will blend well together as yours do beautifully. Are you excited! I am when I see yours! :appl: :appl: :appl:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Frost Me|1409240423|3740773 said:

cmd 2014 - Neck photos together please, I am hoping my two green bodied strands will blend well together as yours do beautifully. Are you excited! I am when I see yours! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Here you go! Shots in different lights. I also posted on the what are you wearing today thread. I suspect yours will go together brilliantly. My only (small) complaint is that my blue-green strand is only 17 inches and not the 18 described, and so doesn't nest as well with my 20 as my other 18 inch one does (the silver-blue one that is 18 inches dead on). Sadly, the silver blue one does not play well with my peacock strand. Its the same issue as with my multicoloured strand. My hope is that with some wear the knots will loosen up and the necklace will become a bit longer. If not, I may have to see if I can get them lengthened. Oh, and the other thing that surprised me, is that I did get both of these on the plain white gold ball clasp, but even though they are theoretically the same clasp, they will not go together to let me wear these as a rope. I suspect that there was a batch difference in clasps between when I got my peacock one and this one. :blackeye: Again, small issues...as I can always have the clasps redone.

double_strand_5_cropped_0.jpg

double_strand_3_cropped.jpg

double_strand_4_cropped.jpg

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fly Girl|1409236909|3740702 said:
cmd2014 - Thanks for confirming what I suspected about the description of body color for this lot of drop shaped Tahitian pearls from PP. It's a general description, and not an exact one for every pearl.

Some strands are described as dark green body color and others as green body color, and still others, as blue-green body color. I selected a long strand with green body color, thinking that most of the pearls would be a lighter shade of green than dark green. When I look carefully at my strand under just the right lighting, I can see a few pearls that definitely have a darker green body color and a couple that have bluer tones.

You can also see how some strands are described as baroque in shape and others as drop. Again, from this particular pearl lot, the differences are slight, and I expect that strands from this particular lot will go together well.

I think you are right. Of course, had I realized this, I would have saved myself a lot of obsessing! :lol:

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Are the clasps different mm? If they're the same size, you may be able to adjust it. My ball clasps sometimes don't interact well until I adjust the "V" part of the clasp. If you widen it very very slightly and carefully, it may click into the other clasp's ball end.

I bought 144" rope made in 3 parts in the past. When I tried to clasp them all together it didn't work at first and I was so distraught! Then I realized I could adjust the angle of the "V" part by opening it to a wider "V" and they all fit together. This adjustment has to be made from time-to-time because that "V" opening becomes narrower.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful pearls. I would love a Tahitian strand.
Someday!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bsomlo|1409242310|3740797 said:
Are the clasps different mm? If they're the same size, you may be able to adjust it. My ball clasps sometimes don't interact well until I adjust the "V" part of the clasp. If you widen it very very slightly and carefully, it may click into the other clasp's ball end.

I bought 144" rope made in 3 parts in the past. When I tried to clasp them all together it didn't work at first and I was so distraught! Then I realized I could adjust the angle of the "V" part by opening it to a wider "V" and they all fit together. This adjustment has to be made from time-to-time because that "V" opening becomes narrower.

I wish this was the case. The "V" part is wider on one clasp than the other (not in terms of the angle of the v, but physically wider metal in terms of mm). It's just enough that the "V" part won't thread through the "]" part on the other clasp's ball (it has to go diagonally, and even then it won't go all the way to the bottom as it is too large). The clasps look slightly different too. I'll see if I can get a picture.

Here we go. You can see how the one clasp is larger than the other. I wonder if it's because my 20 inch strand needed a sturdier clasp?

clasps.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I've noticed this as well. I sat down one day, inspired by Kojima's Ying-Yang rope (one side was white, the other side dark pearls), and tried to link together my various strands. None went together except those that I had ordered at exactly the same time with the specification of matching clasps. :((

You'd think that all 8mm ball clasps would link together, and ditto all 7mm ball clasps as well as all 9mm ball clasps. Especially when you order the pearls from the same company. This was not the case as, exactly as described by cmd2014, the tongue from one clasp would be too wide to slip into the clasp on the other strand. Sometimes you could put a narrower tongue into the wider clasp, but that did not help with hooking together the opposite ends.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock

The reason for not seeing a big difference is because of the peacock overtones on both strands.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
cmd2014|1409245006|3740820 said:
bsomlo|1409242310|3740797 said:

I wish this was the case. The "V" part is wider on one clasp than the other (not in terms of the angle of the v, but physically wider metal in terms of mm). It's just enough that the "V" part won't thread through the "]" part on the other clasp's ball (it has to go diagonally, and even then it won't go all the way to the bottom as it is too large). The clasps look slightly different too. I'll see if I can get a picture.

Here we go. You can see how the one clasp is larger than the other. I wonder if it's because my 20 inch strand needed a sturdier clasp?

Ok…glad this discussion has come up, I'm counting on my second green strand to link with the first. Calling PP now! I don't think it has been strung yet so thank you I will check the mm of the V on the first strand. Interesting note the Multi-strand I passed on had a laser 9 mm and it did link with my green strand laser 8 mm…. interesting. Thanks for the discussion.

cmd2014 - I would send back the 17" and have them match pearls then have it restrung, I don't think it's super costly to restring. I'm loving your two together :appl: :appl: , I think it looks NICE! I'm not looking for a perfect match to my two, just two that complement each other for future rope :love: .

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
frost me -- "your" strand is supposed to arrive to me on Tuesday! I'm very excited to meet it. I kept it exactly the same with silver/grey silk and the WG laser clasp.

Very interesting discussion regarding interlocking clasps.

makeable

Shiny_Rock
renwea those pearls are delicious.

I'm rather sad that this sale is almost over. I've been loving everyone's pics and the lovely responses. It's been great to see such enthusiasm for pearls and learn from our remarkable PS pearl experts. A huge thank you to everyone!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kay, thanks for refreshing my memory re your Tahitian project. I really like Hisano's idea of 2 strands, the inside consisting of the smaller pearls and the outside made up of the larger ones. With matching ball clasps you could wear them as a rope when you feel like it. I hope you go this route and bring that baby home! I remember seeing your Tahitians at PP and thinking how gorgeous they were!

cmd2014, your two strands look lovely together! The dark colors look so pretty with your skin tone, and I love the shapes and luster!

4Ranch Girl, thank you for the compliment on my special rope :wavey:

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Renwea, your strand is gorgeous :love: I can see the color differentiation in your real life photos too. Luster is fantastic! It looks like gloss is applied to your pearls.

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
Hi Kay,

Have you seen this clasp (hope the photo shows up) ? The Monday following the Ruckus, I went back to visit Hisano and reconfirm my pearl decisions. I had a strand of larger round multi-color Tahitians held aside and a last minute addition of a smaller strand in the same color range. I wanted to be able to wear each strand alone or nested, and was planning to go with a 2 - 3" extender for versatility ... until ... we decided the strands looked great together as a rope :) Back to the drawing board on clasps ... Hisano (patient soul :) brought out a variety of clasps and we did a 3 Bears routine ... Ball clasps too hard for my hands to use, Diamond Equestrian clasps beautiful but out of the budget ... and then she brought out this lovely gold oval link clasp and it was just right! When closed you can hardly tell it's a clasp; looks like 2 pretty oval gold links. Although the high polished clasps were in stock, Hisano was kind enough to special order 2 in brushed/matte yellow gold for improved dexterity, and they should be here shortly ... can't wait :)

orbit_or_hook_and_eye_0.jpg

mapo

Shiny_Rock
CRDKeshi, I love that clasp! I'm going to keep that one in mind for my next pearl project. I am not fond of those ball clasps. bloody difficult to use.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
makeable|1409274270|3741091 said:
renwea those pearls are delicious.

I'm rather sad that this sale is almost over. I've been loving everyone's pics and the lovely responses. It's been great to see such enthusiasm for pearls and learn from our remarkable PS pearl experts. A huge thank you to everyone!

Me too Makeable, I have enjoyed everyone's beautiful pearls and pictures, comments, concerns, excitement!

Innerkitten - you will when the time is right. This thread is a great way to figure out what you might want! So Fun!

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
FlyGirl and Baby Nurse - You both have stunning ropes, I can't imagine hand picking pearls, that to me would be the ultimate pearl paradise dream. Please post more pictures.

Renwea- Your strand pearl shape are so large, interesting colors, was this a custom or was it posted on the sale, I don't remember seeing this one? Do you have the description and size?

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Some seriously gorgeous pearls here ! CMD your two strands look so similar , they will be great worn together. Colour is beautiful!

FlyG and BabyN - really beautiful ropes! I love the shapes and colours...wow on the luster ! :clap:

CRDKeshi - I love that clasp as well..I picked up half a dozen in silver at the last HK show to try them out. Very nice elegant shape.

And the ball clasp issue..very interesting. I've never really noticed it before but I suppose that if you bought from different suppliers or just different orders ..there could easily be a difference in construction. Good to know that if you are thinking of joining strands together you need to ask for matching tongues...or whatever the little V shape is called.

The luster on all these strands is really outstanding...everyones!

renwea

Shiny_Rock
Hi Frost Me, my strand was part of the sale. I didn't notice it myself until I started searching for some multi's. I really do love this necklace :love: I've forgotten the size, when I am home Monday , I will look at the paper work that came with the strand. Thank you for your kind comments.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
bsomlo|1409262999|3740987 said:
frost me -- "your" strand is supposed to arrive to me on Tuesday! I'm very excited to meet it. I kept it exactly the same with silver/grey silk and the WG laser clasp.

Very interesting discussion regarding interlocking clasps.

bsomio, I am excited for you too. You prefer shorter strands. I think in the future if you choose it will be very easy to achieve with this one by pulling out a few of the near rounds in the front and center round pearl, which could be used in another strand or dangle from a rope, see Kay's Andy picture. Wish I would have thought of that sooner… :shock: :wall:

tahitians__andy_muller_1.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
I'm actually looking forward to that central roundish pearl. I don't like the way drops "part" in the center -- like a hair part. Because this one has the roundish as the center pearl, no "part"!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kay,

I just had a thought about your rope. Would it be possible to string it so that the largest pearls are off center enough that they would end up to the front when doubled with the clasp at the back? If you used an interesting clasp like the chain link Iposted earlier, it might look like an interesting design element on those days when you wore the rope long with the large pearls centered and the clasp visible.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
bsomlo|1409323671|3741402 said:
I'm actually looking forward to that central roundish pearl. I don't like the way drops "part" in the center -- like a hair part. Because this one has the roundish as the center pearl, no "part"!

You are going to love it! My suggestion was just a thought. I feel renwea's new beauty has a similar silver/white tahitian too.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Somehow, my package arrived today instead of Tuesday. Very unexpected.

The strand looks different than I imagined it would -- more silver, muted and subtle regarding color contrast. Chenai had said that the luster was "satiny, more like the luster of South Sea pearls" and I know what she means.

Here are two PP glamour shots:

Here they are in Northern light by the window:

Next up, on me.

pp_glamour_shot_1.jpg

pp_glamour_shot_2.jpg

strand_roll.jpg

close-up_3.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Neck shots, the strand is a tad over 18" (I usually wear 16-ish):

It's very different from my usual pearl color palette (or Fly Girl -- do you think it's similar in that it's not dark Tahitians?) Chenai called it "pastel" since it's not dark. I would call it silver/olive in feeling.

neck_shot_3.jpg

neck_shot_4.jpg

neck_shot_5.jpg

neck_shot_close-up.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
The last few:

close-up_4.jpg

close-up_5.jpg

close-up_6.jpg

neck_shot_6.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
bsomlo|1409339641|3741579 said:
Neck shots, the strand is a tad over 18" (I usually wear 16-ish):

It's very different from my usual pearl color palette (or Fly Girl -- do you think it's similar in that it's not dark Tahitians?) Chenai called it "pastel" since it's not dark. I would call it silver/olive in feeling.
It's a very pretty strand, and certainly in a different color palette than you usually wear. Those silvery white Tahitians are beautiful. It is not the dark green and pinky Tahitians that were mostly available during this sale. I wear a lot of olive greens and deep reds during the winter, and this strand would go nicely with those clothes. Agreed that it is not the Chinese freshwater whites, peaches and pinky lavenders that you wear so well.

I won't ask how you like it now. I'll ask in a few days. ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results