shape
carat
color
clarity

3.22 pink tourmaline from RDG sellout -how to set?

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
I bought my very first coloured stone! I saw this on the RDG facebook and pounced. I nothing about CS so dont know if it is good or not but I really like it and intend to keep it. I dont think returns are an option anyway.

forgive any typos. I am in hospital just had a small shoulder op and looking to distract myself.

I would like a RHR - any suggestions on a setting?

Here is the stone. It is more peach than pink really. It did come with a note who cut it but that's at home. It sparkles wonderfully.
261300_10150216992177175_1958467_n.jpg
This is the glamour shot

10608306_10152230736282175_8225734270347354177_o.jpg
This is RDG photo

2014-08-27_07.jpg
This is on my hand.

I hope this all shows. First time posting on my phone.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
3-stone cocktail ring with light yellow green trillion sides, may be in rose or yellow gold, something like this ring:

http://www.rumouronline.com/Cocktai...-page.php?link=22-emerald-cut-aquamarine1.gif

As for the sides, have a look at Jeff White's page for sold garnets, as there is a round stone similar in colour to yours, and some of the light mint green stones on the same page look like they would go well with it.

http://www.whitesgems.com/garnetgallery.html

Good luck with your new ring.

DK :))

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I think it is lovely. Judging by the cut I would not be surprised if it is by John Dyer. As its tone is close to your skin tone, I would consider a halo, diamonds, mint garnet, sapphire and/or black spinel to make it stand out with more contrast.

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
Yes it was John Dyer! Is he good?

I am liking the sound of a three stone with coloured trillions! I was considering a halo as well. So many decisions. I love that one that DK posted but worry the tourmaline is not bright enough to carry it off.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who is RDG? Is it Roger Dery? Sorry... Trying to find it on the recommended vendors list and could not see it there. Would love to check it out!

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
Sorry RDG was Robinson Designer Goldsmith in New Zealand. I am pretty sure it has finished now though. The father was retiring and his sons will start their own businesses apparently.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
John Dyer is an excellent lapidary. I second VL's suggestion of setting the tourmaline with something contrasting.

Alnitak

Rough_Rock
Trade
John Dyer is a superb cutter with numerous awards to his name--all well-deserved. That gem is cut in his "Regal Radiant" design, one I'm very fond of.

I'd suggest a complementary color; if the color is peach then a mint-blue to mint-green would be ideal. Here's a great online tool from Adobe for choosing complementary colors; it should come up with my selection to try and match the gemstone color but you can tweak it yourself:

https://kuler.adobe.com/create/colo...,0,1,0.8879612015628027&swatchOrder=0,1,2,3,4

Jeff

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for the replies. Sorry I am not naming names for thanks but it is hard to type one handed (and with my left hand) and scroll as well. First world problems.

I am glad that the cutter is very well known. I presumed that RDG would not sell a dud. The colour does look a little washed out on the screen now that I am home and can see it better. It does have more zap in real life.

I love green so am def going to look for some mint trillions as suggested. If you happen to see any please let me know! I am colour stone noob (as you can tell) and have no idea what to look for. I don't even know the dimensions of the stone. Talk about fly by the seat of your pants. I do have a jeweller here so will be able to get something made.

Thanks again! I appreciate the help.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Finding pairs can be a challenge and I generally contact jewellers/trade people to help me find the right stones.
Jaimeen Shah - www.primagemsusa.com

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about seeking the help from gem cutters?

Jeff White told me it is more difficult to match colour than to match size (I believe he meant length and width and not depth), unless it is the same crystal being split up into smaller stones (I assume he meant the crystal does not have significant variation in colour to start with).

DK :))

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
The lovely colour of your tourmaline instantly reminded me of this ring by Baxter Moerman, (except personally I nearly always prefer the stone set N-S) however I rather like the way the diamonds are separated from the center stone by the wider gold bezel - making a feature of it rather than simply a way to hold the stone in.

sapphire-cinnamon-71pts-_3175-baxtermoerman-1.png

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beauty!!!
I think it would beautiful set in rose gold with bright diamonds. A rose gold split shank with delicate halo...

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Chrono & DK. I spent some time last night going through the coloured stone vendors thread and I didn't see anything that would work. I see what you mean about matching pairs in the right colour being hard to find.

Starzin, that colour is very similar to mine!

Acinom, thank you! I am seriously considering a rose gold halo or diamond sides now.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not a fan of using colored stones as accent pieces in a three stone ring with another colored stone center. But I am very conservative and feel that the added colors could limit what I wear with the piece. That being said I think that that stone is so pretty by itself that I would mount it in a rose gold or yellow gold thick setting in an east-west direction. If you want side stones I would either do bullets or baguettes in white diamonds and set it north-south. Can't wait to see the finished product. Speedy recovery!

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
Hi Lambskin, you must be in my head, that is exactly what I have been thinking. I must take the stone to my jeweller man and get him to measure it first up.

I do have 6 x 0.12-0.15ct round diamonds in a band I never wear - I wonder if they could be set on either side, to mimic a trillion?

I quite liked this look, but with 3 diamonds on either side and they would be a bit bigger then these. pt_ring_4.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I rarely come over here, but I wanted to say I think that is such a pretty stone! I'd definitely at least set the center stone in rose gold for sure! Here are a few settings I have saved.

_21772.jpg

orange_sapphire.jpg

jescobarechalo.jpg

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A couple more RG settings.. :)

Edit... Having trouble here.. Will try to attach photos separately

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

uploadfromtaptalk1409322159018.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1409322171456.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are the measurements of your tourmaline? Do you have room on your finger for sidestones that are proportionate to the tourmaline?

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the suggestions. Rose gold is a must. I think a 3 stone with diamonds is going to be the way. Will the side stones need to be a similar cut? If they are say baguettes, will that clash with the cut of this stone?

By my ruler ( :think: ) it measures about 8.5mm x 7mm.

A few more pictures to show how moody she is!

ptstonejd.jpg ptstone3.jpg ptstone2.jpg ptstone1.jpg

big_spark

Rough_Rock
I think yellow gold with diamond pave halo!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, I think that color would look best in yellow gold. It would fade into rose gold, and not pop. I had a salmony pink stone like that in rose gold and the metal did nothing for it. I think you should set it with pale green or minty sides. :naughty:

If you can't find minty sides, then pastel blue or greenish blue aquas would be complimentary as well.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with TL about the rose vs yellow gold. You mentioned 6 diamonds you had so I've pulled a couple of photos which show that sort of setting.

The amethyst has eight, but you could either buy two more or just use the six you have. Imagine it without the silver base behind.

These two also show the different looks between bezel and prong set.

amethyst-cushion-8small-all-gold-bezel-sswide-ring.jpg

3dia-sides-paraiba_tourmaline_1.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I too wonder why rose gold is a must.Since it would be so close in tone and hue to the stone I would expect it only to make the whole thing muddy, especially as it is already so close in hue to your skin. Some contrasts with the metal and the halo or side stones will go a long way to show off that stone. In general I am not a halo fan, but in this case I think it really needs to be set off from your skin tone, I would use a halo of diamond, demantoid or black spinel melee if it were me.

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
Argh you guys are killing me! Yellow gold? Is that due to the new photos? I do have a yellow gold ballerina setting diamond ring - I will sit the stone on top of it later and see how it looks.

Thank goodness I have experts on colour here - heaven knows what I would have decided on my own. I'd say white gold. :errrr:

My 6 diamonds are between 12 and 15 points each so would look more like this. How do you think this would look in yellow gold with my stone?
ring1_62.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
GlamMosher|1409446346|3742182 said:
Argh you guys are killing me! Yellow gold? Is that due to the new photos? I do have a yellow gold ballerina setting diamond ring - I will sit the stone on top of it later and see how it looks.
No. It's due to the fact that a little contrast just works while still staying in the warm range ;))

Thank goodness I have experts on colour here - heaven knows what I would have decided on my own. I'd say white gold. :errrr:
Ummm.... no. Please stay away from the white gold.

My 6 diamonds are between 12 and 15 points each so would look more like this. How do you think this would look in yellow gold with my stone?
In a word? OhHellYeah!!! :bigsmile: But I'd still bezel all stones for presence - that's going to say "Look at me"... prongs are going to be more discreet if that's the look you're going for..

Forgot to say the ballerina setting could definitely work too. Looking forward to seeing the photos.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will just say that if you do decide to bezel the gem, be careful of what jeweler does it. Tourmalines are "chippy" stones and bezel work can be hard on them. It's also hard to find a jeweler who does a nice even bezel on colored stones.

If you can find prasiolitses (treated mint green quartz), that would also look nice as well with the stone, unless you are against treated material. It can be hard to find minty stones, which is why I suggested prasiolite. Diamonds are always a nice side stone, but I think this gem is screaming for some complimentary color beside it.

I agree with Starzin that white gold would not be good for this particular stone.

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
OK. We had a little mini GTG today with Chel and Susimoo. They had some coloured gold chains etc, so I could play around with colour.

with_rose_gold.jpg with_white_gold.jpg with_yellow_gold.jpg

And a very bad quick attempt at photoshop!

ygring.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results