shape
carat
color
clarity

The problem with "girlfriend Intervention"

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband and I watch Project Runway. This is why we happened to be watching lifetime when commercials for this show came on.
Half way though the commercial I was already smacked in the face by all the casual racism.

Essentially its stereotypical sassy black women bring in out the "inner black lady" in the stereotypical weak white lady. Here is an article that I think does a much better job encompassing the problem with this show than I could.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2014/08/27/343732090/lifetime-promises-to-bring-out-the-strong-black-woman-in-white-women

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: The problem with

... this is a real show?????????????

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

distracts|1409230804|3740646 said:

People still watch the Lifetime network????????????????????

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

monarch64|1409231009|3740649 said:
distracts|1409230804|3740646 said:

People still watch the Lifetime network????????????????????

haha right! admittedly I do, but if Project runway wasnt on it I doubt we'd even have it.

But i love PR, and I will not apologize!! lol

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

Just....wow. The article outlined it well. There are cringes on my cringes....just no...STAHP!
At least the smackdown is equally offensive to everyone!. I think our nation will make strides when we point out and stop stereotypes, period. Our entertainment in America loves to paint a picture about "how everyone is". Wouldnt it be nice to see programming that CHALLENGED perceptions and stereotypes? America may be ready to move forward, but give the people a better vision than stereotypical ca-ca to identify with!

I love PR too! ;-)

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock

I came across this show last night, and although I was surprised at the blatant stereotyping, the show had me mesmerized,and grabbed my attention. I stayed up watching until midnight! I kinda wish I was the dull, boring housewife that was brought back to life by those sassy ladies! If they can do this to an ex hip-hopping white woman, just imagine how they could transform my repressed, conservative Asian self, who obsessed about my "larger than most Asian"body!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I just can't even fathom how this got on TV. Like. Imagine the reverse, 4 white women trying to being out the white girl in minorities

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

VRBeauty|1409243795|3740813 said:
Niel|1409242615|3740799 said:
VRBeauty|1409238603|3740739 said:
That's the article I posted

Oops - sorry, Niel. :oops:

Ha ha that's OK. I know when people post artles in the OP I rarely read them. Have you seen this though? I feel like the article doesn't do it justice.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nD0c2GQWBdY

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock

TV is getting trashier every time I look. Also, the constant sexual references on shows make me cringe. I find it annoying because I enjoy watching TV, but it's like they cater to the lowest common denominator.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Now this is an aside to the "Girlfriend Intervention" Pronounced GIRLFRIEND! which I can't imagine black females not be offended by the "down to earth" girlfriend/helpmate of hapless white woman. It's one step above being the confidant maid.

But while I do find shows like what not to wear and such vicarious to watch and even learned useful tips I guess I find those shows bizarre. The hosts are all about uncovering the the Real BETTER You, by basically changing everything about you, into the same generic same version (tighter tailored more brightly colored clothes with high heels and ton of hair and make up).
You know what? I don't think my real "me" looks like that. I HATE heels. Maybe my real me looks like something like Katherine Hepburn wearing a menswear inspired suit. Maybe someone elses real you looks like Pat Benatar, or another person's inner person looks like Kate Winslet on the Titanic, and yeah maybe someone else's real you looks like Salt N Pepa. While they celebrate individuality they honestly know nothing about the person they are dressing like a doll and the attitudes are more conformist than what we experienced in High School and hopefully all railed against!

Now I respect the many parts of American culture that was influenced by black culture. But even if I wanted to be I'm not Black and it's silly to pretend that I am. If I was going to channel a kick butt inner person, it would be my widowed great grandmother who had to raise 2 generations without a man.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never understood how we, as a society, are expected to get beyond these stereotypes when Hollywood, music, and the media won't let them go... It's odd to me how our society shames this type of behavior, but shows like the one Niel posted, actually encourage it and present it as entertainment. It seems TV takes these stereotypes to the extreme. A lot of times it's just in the name of humor, but when it comes down to it, the stereotypes are really just being shoved in our faces... on a daily basis.

Anywhoooo, I love PR too!!
[PURPLE HEART][DRESS][RIBBON][YELLOW HEART][BIKINI]

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

jaysonsmom|1409236819|3740701 said:
I came across this show last night, and although I was surprised at the blatant stereotyping, the show had me mesmerized,and grabbed my attention. I stayed up watching until midnight! I kinda wish I was the dull, boring housewife that was brought back to life by those sassy ladies! If they can do this to an ex hip-hopping white woman, just imagine how they could transform my repressed, conservative Asian self, who obsessed about my "larger than most Asian"body!

Honey I am half Asian and about 3 times your size, and I don't care if anyone has a problem with that - so you should get over obsessing about your perceived "larger than most Asian body."

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results