shape
carat
color
clarity

2.8 N VS2 AVC need help on my custom setting

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
I am so excited to see your finished beauty! Enjoying the progress pictures along the way- gorge!!

cjchumphries

Shiny_Rock
TruLuv858..Thanks so much! I am having fun with it. I decided to change up the filigree design in the basket because it really reminds me of a fleur de lis! And living only 1.5 hrs from New Orleans, people are all the time getting those placed on EVERYTHING! Now that I noticed it, its all I can see, so....Im changing it up a bit. I am trying to narrow it down between 2 or 3 at this point and then we move to the CAD's. My designer recommended we start with 1.5mm melee on my bands and 1.3mm on the halo due to the size of the diamond. The melee under the halo, on the basket, will be about .8-.9mm. So, Im anxious for the CAD's to get to see what all the proportions will look like on a ring, rather than just a sketch. Its my designers "weekend" tues.- wednes. so Ill have to wait to hear anything else until thursday probably. I will keep this up to date though. Ooh, I did kinda decide on the yellow gold stacking band design though....I'll post a pic and you sort of just have you use your imagination! ;-)

Anyways, Ill keep posting!

s14535__2_.jpg

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful!!!! :appl:

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
cjchumphries|1408425477|3735307 said:
TruLuv858..Thanks so much! I am having fun with it. I decided to change up the filigree design in the basket because it really reminds me of a fleur de lis! And living only 1.5 hrs from New Orleans, people are all the time getting those placed on EVERYTHING! Now that I noticed it, its all I can see, so....Im changing it up a bit. I am trying to narrow it down between 2 or 3 at this point and then we move to the CAD's. My designer recommended we start with 1.5mm melee on my bands and 1.3mm on the halo due to the size of the diamond. The melee under the halo, on the basket, will be about .8-.9mm. So, Im anxious for the CAD's to get to see what all the proportions will look like on a ring, rather than just a sketch. Its my designers "weekend" tues.- wednes. so Ill have to wait to hear anything else until thursday probably. I will keep this up to date though. Ooh, I did kinda decide on the yellow gold stacking band design though....I'll post a pic and you sort of just have you use your imagination! ;-)

Anyways, Ill keep posting!

Are you looking for this?

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=GRP05480&mcat=148204&cid=288152&search_params=p+1-n+10000-c+288152-s+5-r+-t+-ni+1-x+-lr+-hr+-ri+-mi+-pp+3473+6&search=0&origin=browse&searchkeyword=

cjchumphries

Shiny_Rock
Truluv858..THANK YOU!

thecat..YEESSS!! Only I want it in yellow gold and only 1.6mm wide... I did see that they have it in Plat. and rose gold but no yellow. Anyways, thank you for the photo so I can actually see what it will look like!

On another note. Two jewelry stores I went to confirm that I wear a 4.5 but could go to 4.75 for comfort, since I will be having the three bands, a total width of 6mm-6.2mm.(depending on the size melee I choose for the bands) My current set is also three bands with a total width of 5.5mm....My question is regarding the size for my new rings. My current rings are a jumble of sizes, all roughly around 5.25! I couldnt believe that all three rings were not the 4.75 that we asked for when we ordered them years ago! But...it is what it is and now I am really confused as to what size to order. I know my rings fit loosely, especially in the winter. But it is really hot and muggy here about 8 months out of the year and my fingers tend to swell easily. I can always slide them off easily, even when they are swollen, but I am worried if I get a half size smaller it won't be that easy. And worse it may be uncomfortable and leave me with the fat finger look!!
:(sad

SOOOOO... do any of you think it would be better to order a size 5 at least to make sure they are still comfortable, but yet a bit safer than my current sizes when it comes to the colder months??

Thank so much guys....I hate stressing about this, but Im torn....

:wavey: aslo, no news from the designer today....hopefully tomorrow!

cjchumphries

Shiny_Rock
Ok so I got the first round of my CAD's tonight!

I have to say its not exactly what I had imagined or what the sketches look like to me. :confused: There wasn't enough room to put the filigree on either side of the cathedral arms so she gave me two options. 1. Just the filigree on the two panels of the basket 2. Filigree on the two panels as well as under the cathedral arms. Also, I have to decide on 14k or 18k gold for the filigree. Im kinda of thinking the softer yellow of the 14 will look better with the soft color of my stone and Im not too sure on the bold color of 18k. She suggested I do 14k for the spacer band and 18k for the filigree?

Next, the halo is not angled down far enough in my mind. I wanted it to be angled a bit more to look more like the inspiration ring and to draw less attention to it. This is angled at 25 degrees and I think I want to try 30 degrees. Also it has way too much metal on the outer edge and on the airline between the halo and main diamond. I think the 1.3mm melee are part of the problem with the total width of the halo. I really want a very dainty halo like CrookedRock's 4ct from years back. She had half pointers on the entire ring.

https://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/at-last-crookedrock-s-ring-t86381-150.html

Now I realize that I am not wanting that type of pave and I want my melee to be bead set, but does that mean I have to have the excess metal or can that be eliminated with the bead set as well. Again, I don't want the entire look of her ring, but I love the daintiness of the halo.

This CAD has the halo melee at 1.3mm and the shank at 1.5mm with a 2.3mm band. Will it make it more the look I am wanting for 1mm-1.1mm halo and 1.1mm-1.3mm band?
Im thinking I want the smaller melee on the shank anyways so I can get closer to 2mm band width.

What do you guys think I should tell her.... I already said it didn't really look like the sketches she gave me and that I wanted a smaller halo and less metal but I told her I would get back to her with the specifics around lunch tomorrow. Sooo, any help would be amazing!

1. So, yes or no to the lower filigree under the cath. arms?
2. 14k or 18k yellow gold for the filigree?
3. melee size in halo and shank?
4. 30 degree angle for the halo?

Also, none of the milgrain or engraving shows up on the CAD so it looks a bit plain on the sides but it will be hand engraved and the prongs will be hand forged. Thank you so much for all your help and expertise.

Christy

8-23-2014_4-44-20_pm20140823053147.png

cjchumphries

Shiny_Rock
here is the version WITH the extra filigree.

8-23-2014_4-44-20_pm220140823053258.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can already see it's going to be a fabulous ring :love:

Personally I love the bright cut set (channel set) pave, but that's a personal choice. If I understand you well, you prefer a u-cut or v-cut set pave. It's a bit more vulnerable compared to bright cut set, but an equally stunning look.

I would choose the first design for the filigree, without the extra filigree under the cathedral shank.

Hopefully the experts will chime in soon regarding the pave size and tilt angle.

:wavey:

cjchumphries

Shiny_Rock
Acinom...thanks for the input! I think it will beautiful as well! I too want the bead set(is that the same as bright cut?) I do not want the the v or u shaped pave for that very reason. I LOVE the look but Im too worried about stones falling out. I like the bead set very well too so Im just going with that. I do however want it without the metal line on either side of the melee. Im not sure if its just the CAD emphasizing it or if it is just too thick but Ive relayed my concerns with the designer and given additional pics to show what I DO and DO NOT want. Hopefully the next CAD's will look a bit better.
I also think I want it without the additional filigree under the cathedral arms. I don't want it to look too busy and it kind of looks like its a bit of an afterthought to me. So, next CAD's should have the 1.1mm on the halo at a 30 degree angle and the 1.3mm melee on the shank. I hope I love the next ones because to be honest I am a bit disappointed with the first round! :(sad

Ok... any more advise is welcome! I so appreciate any input as I am not super sure of the minute details I am throwing out to the designer.

Also, is there any structural reason I should choose 18k gold over 14k for the filigree?? Im not super fond of the bolder color and I actually think the softer color of the 14k might compliment the soft color of my stone. Am I crazy? Should I just stick with the 18k for the filigree like my designer is suggesting?

Thanks again.

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
I think that it's going to be stunning! I love it! I'm curious, since you want less metal, have you thought about eliminating the bezel around the stone, since you also have prongs holding the stone in place? It looks beautiful either way, but thought I would suggest it? I think CADs can be a bit deceiving at times, your ring will look far more delicate- but even your CADs are wonderful! I agree regarding the first CAD,I think the additional filigree might be overkill especially since you will have additional engraving.

cjchumphries

Shiny_Rock
Truluv858...thanks so much for your kind words! As far as the bezel.....THATS WHAT I SAID to my designer!! It totally looks like its bezel set and it is not supposed to be. I have told her repeatedly that I want zero metal and zero airline between the main diamond and the halo. Hopefully they will get it right this next go around. Like I said, it seemed like she understood everything I wanted and maybe the CAD's are just amplifying the areas I don't love but we'll see.

As far as the extra filigree....looks like I made the right decision! =)

One last thing, is bead set the safest way to have these melee set on my bands? I've been reading on all the setting styles for melee and I'm a bit confused! I have the milgrain edges so that should help protect them, but I don't want to be loosing diamonds!

Thanks to all who have been helping me with this...I appreciate it so much!!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will show you mine for reference: bright cut set pave (with a channel). This is the safest way of setting pave.
Will yours be set in a similar way? Mine has multi sided pave, so yours should look more delicate.

_21637.jpg

cjchumphries

Shiny_Rock
Hey Acinom...Your ring is beautiful! And yes, mine will be bead set in a bit of a channel due to the milgrain edges. I thought that was a safer way of setting the melee but I also wanted it because I really love the milgrain edges and it just kind of goes with it.

So, my designer got back to me to day with the second round of CAD's! They are so much better than before! I really am very happy with how it is all turning out now! The second round has 1.3mm melee on the shank and 1mm on the halo with a 30 degree angle tilt down. She has removed the extra filigree under the cathedral arms and removed all that excess metal I am not too fond of on either side of the halo melee. It looks fabulous!! All the engraving and milgrain obviously isn't in the CAD but that will be done afterwards by hand, as well as the hand forged single claw prongs.

One thing though....she also sent me another version to consider that has the halo melee set differently than my shank(bead set). She wants me to see if it was more appealing to my eye to have it set "scallop" style. Not sure what exactly that is, maybe v-cut or french cut or something? Ill post both versions and if I could get some feedback that would be so amazing. I really do appreciate it. Im not real sure about how I feel with two different setting styles on the same ring and if it is really as safe as the bead set. I know it may give me even less metal showing and that may be why she is suggesting it, but I'm just not too sure what to do. HELP Please!! What are your opinions?

Again,
thank you so much for ANY advice!

christy_renderings_8.png

cjchumphries

Shiny_Rock
A close up view of my new CAD!! This is the one with the bead set halo and shank.

christy_renderings_0.png

cjchumphries

Shiny_Rock
And lastly, the extra version she threw in with the scalloped halo and bead set shank. What are anyones thoughts on this? Oh and on this one just ignore the filigree under the cathedral arms. She forgot to remove them for this rendering.
Thanks

christy_renderings_8.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer shank and halo to match so I would want both beadset with the milgrain edge or neither with it. I also like the gold accents under the cathedral part since it ties in with the gallery.

cjchumphries

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006...I am also leaning towards the bead set on both the halo and shank. Im just real fond of the mixed setting look. Do you think it would be a bit better if I added milgrain to the edge of the halo as long as it won't add extra thickness to the metal edge? Thanks so much for the help as well!!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks great with the tilted halo!

Like DS, I would choose one style for halo and shank. The bead set/channel set gives a more defined look. The u-cut set style looks more delicate and is more delicate.
Both are in fact equally gorgeous, but it depends on your own style and preferences and your lifestyle. If you have an active lifestyle and if you are hard on your rings, the bead/channel set could be more suitable, unless you have the intention to take off your rings before activities that could be hard on your ring.

If you decide on bead/channel set, I would indeed milgrain the border of the halo as it creates a softer more romantic look that matches the engraving. It makes the borders less harsh.

The gallery looks great!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto...would absolutely put milgrain on the halo as Acinom just said.

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
Second CADs look beautiful!! It is going to be one gorgeous piece! Last comment, have you considered clawing the prongs? This is a personal choice, but I think it would look amazing with your stone!

cjchumphries

Shiny_Rock
Ok first....thank you all so much for responding! Most people I show around here are like, "I can't tell anything different between the first CAD and the second." And Im over here thinking WHAT?? Its totally different and the second is so much better! Next, I was re-reading my last post and I forgot a word in one of my sentences that totally changed the meaning!

cjchumphries said:
I am also leaning towards the bead set on both the halo and shank. Im just real fond of the mixed setting look.

What I meant to type was... "Im just NOT real fond of the mixed setting look." I guess Im not the only one. So, Im glad you all confirmed what I was thinking. =)

Acinom..Thanks for the feedback. I love the extra tilt as well. The first rendering was at 25, but the second is at 30 degrees. I like it much better!! I was thinking the same about the delicate nature of the scallop style. Not that I don't love it, and I am very easy on my rings, I take them off for everything. I just don't want to have trouble that I don't need to have if I can avoid it. Plus I have always loved and wanted a more vintage looking ring and milgrain was a must, so that pretty much made it an easy decision on the shank. I just didn't notice that my inspiration ring didn't have the milgrain on the halo so when she asked me about changing it up, it kind of caught me off guard. I do love the idea of adding it to the edge of the halo, I just don't want to have to add extra metal to get it. Hopefully they can add it very finely to whatever metal is there! I am definitely going for the bead set though. I think the gallery is wonderful as well. :love:

diamondseeker2006..thank you for adding your input as well! I really do appreciate everyone's opinion on it! And I agree!

TruLuv858..Thank you so very much for the compliment!! I feel its going to be beautiful as well. And as far as the prongs....I am having them do the single claw prongs! They just said they will not be in the CAD because they will be hand forged after the ring is made! So there...looks like we agree as well!

So... I will get back to my designer and let her know I am going to stick with the bead set halo and to add the fine milgrain to the edge without thickening the width of the metal. Everything else is perfect as far as I can tell. She is off of work today and tomorrow so it won't be until Thursday that she can respond, but I can hardly wait. I mail my diamond out tomorrow and as soon as I decide on 14k vs 18k gold, and my ring size, I am good to start the wax. I'm wearing a wide size 5 ring sizer that she sent me to see if its too snug out in this ridiculous heat we have going right now. It wasn't that bad today. Im tossing around the idea of getting a 5+ I think its called. My current set is a 5.25 and it can get loose in the winter and air conditioning.(I actually am a size 4.5, but like the room for swelling fingers.) Anyways, I'll make those decisions by tomorrow night I guess.

I'll keep you guys posted! Thank you again for all your help! Its so nice to have people to go to that actually know what Im talking about!! ;-)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol: I am so excited about this project and this is not even mine :lol:
Hopefully someone else chimes in to guide you with the 14k filigree vs the 18k filigree.
- what gold colour do you normally prefer
- and what will be the colour of your band
- do you like the contrast to be more subtle (14k) or a bit more bold (18k)

Something else to consider: your ring will be strong enough to wear it as a standalone ring. You might want to receive it first before you make decisions on spacers and bands. I was 300% convinced that I wanted to combine my ring with tapered french cuts (see my avatar) with a band. But it looks so much better without.

cjchumphries

Shiny_Rock
Acinom..Im glad you're enjoying the process along with me! :D As far as the gold...I really don't wear too much yellow gold. I have a few earrings in mixed yellow and white gold, but only one ring.( a half eternity in 14k) I hardly wear it though. I do think that has a lot to do with the fact that its a bit too wide for my taste, but never the less, I usually prefer white metal against my skin. I love the mixed metal look, but plain yellow has always seemed like a second choice. It wasn't until I got this diamond that I fell in love with the idea of putting yellow gold with it on my wedding set. As Ive stated before, the yellow accents just suit the diamond! It looks so beautiful with it. Both 14k and 18k look good in a solid yellow setting, but I've yet to find a platinum with 14k accents. I guess I have two reasons I am uncertain..
1. when placed with the solid 18k setting, it made my diamond look MORE yellow. Now..this was beautiful, but I didn't want a fancy yellow diamond, I wanted a very pale, warm yellow. And I have it and I LOVE the color. I guess Im worried the 18k will bring out too much yellow and make it a richer darker color that I wasn't going for. Im wondering if the softer color of the 14k will just highlight the existing color and not add to it as much.
2. The filigree won't be directly on my skin so it wouldn't worry me as much if that was all I was going to add, but I like the idea of using the spacer band in the middle on days where I want there to be more yellow(to play up the color even more) That is where I am uncertain of that really bold color being directly on my finger.

As far as the wedding band, I am going with Plat. with diamonds and engraving as well. And my ring is going to be a bit thin so I kinda wanted several. I love the stacked look. I like to change it up now with my current rings! the e-ring and wedding band will be 2.1-2.2mm and the yellow gold will be 1.6mm.

I guess Im scared I'll choose one and then once its here I'll wish I chose the opposite! :wall:

Im kinda leaning towards the 14 though.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on your above post, I would chose 14K for the filigree and spacer band. :razz:
Good luck in making your final decision. :wavey:

cjchumphries

Shiny_Rock
thanks Acinom..Im kind of leaning that way!

Ill let y'all know!

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
Ohhh, yummy claw prongs! ,great choice. I too, am excited about your project and keep coming back here to check the status! :appl:

cjchumphries

Shiny_Rock
TruLuv858..thanks so much... I can't wait to show the finished product off! We are ironing out the last few details with the shank melee size and the milgrain on the halo.

Not sure if I want to stick with the shank at 1mm melee like the halo or to go a bit bigger with the 1.3mm. 1mm melee will allow a 2mm band and 1.3mm melee will cause the band to be 2.2mm. I don't know...I need to decide so we can do the wax. I have also decided on 14k. I went this week and saw a few rings and I just really want the subtle color difference, not so much a drastic one.

Ill keep things updated as I go along. :wavey:

cjchumphries

Shiny_Rock
Ok....I finally heard back from my designer after 5 days!! I've been dying here! So....Lets dive right in with the details..

so, Im going to go with the 1.3mm melee on the shank on the advice of my designer. I was kinda leaning this way because I thought it would probably look the best, but she also informed me that the thinner the band I use that I will start to loose some of the engraving detail, so that made it an easier decision.

Also, regarding the milgrain on the halo...so she found out that we do NOT have to add extra metal for the milgrain to be added to the outside edge. They say its only going to be about .5mm thick so it will still be dainty and delicate! It will be placed on the "side profile" of the halo rather than the top to cut down on the attention being drawn to the metal edge the halo will have.

So, she sent me another few shots with the CAD's, though these are a different style of CAD renderings, to help me decide whether to have the milgrain added to the halo or not. She also states that the metal edges on the halo (outside and inside of the 1mm melee) on the CAD, is as thin as they can allow. But that the angle of the halo and the milgrain will hide those edges well. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK ABOUT THESE IMAGES?? I know the CADs can be bulkier than the real ring, but is the metal on the halo too thick or does it look pretty good to you all?

Lastly, the filigree design....So real quick let me tell you whats going on so you will understand the changes...
My mom is getting a new wedding set made and she has decided to dish out the existing diamonds from her current set(of 37 yrs) to all her children! There are 5 of us and only 2 are married. So, I have asked to have just 2 of the melee diamonds from her band and want to add them to the gallery, in the filigree work, on either side of the basket. The sizes range from 1.1-1.3mm so they are kinda perfect I would think. Here is the prob. The way I wanted it to fit is not going to work, so I am having to change it. Im not too thrilled with the current design anyways, because it reminds me of two hearts....a little too "cutesy" for me. So I am trying to decide on 3 different designs...I would love some feedback as to what you all think looks the best.
1. same as current except to change the small heart to a pear shape with the diamond inside
2. teardrop shape with two curls(diamond inside the teardrop)
3. go back to the original Fleur-de-lis type of design and place the diamond in the top pear shape

I really prefer one of the latter two....They just look more appealing to me but would love some other opinions!!

This is it, an we can finally move on to the wax process!! Sorry for the long book style posting....and Thank you so much to all of you who have taken the time to help me along the way... it is greatly appreciated!!

cj

cjchumphries

Shiny_Rock
the new CAD that shows the top view with the milgrain added to the outer edge of the halo, plus what do you think about the metal thickness??

9-5-2014_4-02-07_pm20140905055832.jpg

cjchumphries

Shiny_Rock
the bottom CAD is the current design that reminds me of two hearts...she is trying to show me how it would look to add the diamond. This would be option 1. just change the little heart that is holding the diamond to a pear shape.

2. top left...the new design idea I sent asking to have the diamond placed in the top pear shape. It wont fit, so Im wondering if I remove the top pear and slide the whole design to the top of the opening and put the diamond in the larger teardrop shape.

**the top right is her version of a possibility

9-5-2014_3-59-43_pm20140905055739.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results