shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher cut opinions would be lovely please

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not against small diamonds at all. I think round brilliants are the very best choice in smaller stones (under 5 mm) to be worn as solitaires (or with small sides), though. They have a better spread and are more brilliant. You can hardly see the steps in my one carat asscher, and that is what is so appealing about asschers. So I am just warning her that an asscher, which faces up small anyway, is not going to really show off the step cut well. A halo helps frame a smaller diamond and enhances it in a way when the center stone is of a different cut than the rb pave stones, and in that case I would have less of an issue with a 5mm asscher. I get it that everyone doesn't like halos, but Gypsy probably has some great before and after pictures of her diamond that really make my point!

As long as she understands all that and still wants an under 5mm stone, then fine. However, a great 1 ct stone has been posted by someone on this thread, and I would encourage her to go for that one rather than the smaller stones.

The setting can be made so that a band can sit flush regardless of the size of the stone.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
It was me that posted the 1.01 J. That's a great diamond & it's in budget. At least worth getting an ASET.

Has the OP ever mentioned her ring size? I just reskimmed the thread and didn't see it.
My ring size is a 7.25 and I never would have purchased a step cut under one carat. If the OP wears a 5 or smaller perhaps she could get a
smaller stone. But again very difficult to see the steps and appreciate the cut.

scratch

Rough_Rock
I guess I'm just weird and different... I didn't even want a diamond until I saw an EC in person and fell in love. My e-ring (if I ever get one) will be my first quality piece of jewellery as I'm a bit of a tomboy and don't really wear jewellery except for small pearl studs. I have slender hands and very long and slender fingers so I don't think a big stone or chunky setting will suit me physically or personality wise either for that matter. I'm constantly putting myself down and am generally very shy and timid so I would be uncomfortable with all the attention of a big diamond. But just because I want a small one doesn't mean I don't want a good quality, bang my for buck kinda diamond which is why I am seeking advice. I thought an asscher was a good compromise on getting the kind of diamond I liked in a smaller size as I don't think an EC would look good so small but apparently that was a bad idea so now I'm back to square one in terms of finding something I like that will fit the budget. I think I'm going to have to suck it up and get a plain solitaire as Gypsy suggested so I can get a decent diamond and upgrade the setting later down the track. If I do that I will definitely get an EC as that was the shape I originally loved and the asscher was only supposed to be a compromise so I could afford to get the tapered baguettes as well.

woofmama I'm not sure what size I am but it's definitely smaller than 7.25 judging from pictures.

Neil thanks for all your help, I really liked your suggestions. I will keep stalking JA until I find something, I think that's my best bet.

Gypsy thanks for your educational info. It was hard to hear (got me down a bit) but I think it helped steer me back to an EC and helped me make that tough decision.

and everyone else who commented or sent good vibes my way, thanks for helping. I really appreciate it :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
scratch|1409231279|3740654 said:
I guess I'm just weird and different... I didn't even want a diamond until I saw an EC in person and fell in love. My e-ring (if I ever get one) will be my first quality piece of jewellery as I'm a bit of a tomboy and don't really wear jewellery except for small pearl studs. I have slender hands and very long and slender fingers so I don't think a big stone or chunky setting will suit me physically or personality wise either for that matter. I'm constantly putting myself down and am generally very shy and timid so I would be uncomfortable with all the attention of a big diamond. But just because I want a small one doesn't mean I don't want a good quality, bang my for buck kinda diamond which is why I am seeking advice. I thought an asscher was a good compromise on getting the kind of diamond I liked in a smaller size as I don't think an EC would look good so small but apparently that was a bad idea so now I'm back to square one in terms of finding something I like that will fit the budget. I think I'm going to have to suck it up and get a plain solitaire as Gypsy suggested so I can get a decent diamond and upgrade the setting later down the track. If I do that I will definitely get an EC as that was the shape I originally loved and the asscher was only supposed to be a compromise so I could afford to get the tapered baguettes as well.

woofmama I'm not sure what size I am but it's definitely smaller than 7.25 judging from pictures.

Neil thanks for all your help, I really liked your suggestions. I will keep stalking JA until I find something, I think that's my best bet.

Gypsy thanks for your educational info. It was hard to hear (got me down a bit) but I think it helped steer me back to an EC and helped me make that tough decision.

and everyone else who commented or sent good vibes my way, thanks for helping. I really appreciate it :)

Oh sweetie!
Im so sorry. please dont get down! This is suppose to be fun. This ring is for you not us. You are shopping with a nice budget and i dont want you to feel like you have to "suck it up" and get something you dont like. You are not weird! lots of people want and are happy with smaller diamonds. I mean, they just are a rare bird here on a jewelry forum, so it might seem like youre out of the norm, but believe me, you are not!

A lot of us have a lot of opinions but they are all meant to help, we all just want you to love what you get.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Emerald cuts and asschers are priced very much the same, so definitely get the shape you love most on your hand! That would have been terrible to get one you didn't really want! I agree with Gypsy that concentrating on the center stone is always the best idea, since settings can always be changed and side stones added later. I am glad you came back around to the shape you really love!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to show you something. This is by far one of my favorite rings on PS, and thats including all the door knockers.
this is Vampira's ring she shared with us a few months back. Her ring finger is somewhere between a 4.5-5.
The center stone is less than .5 cts. Its an emerald cut i know, but still. This is by far one of the most subtly classy rings ive ever seen, and its no honker.

pricescope1_0.jpg

pricescope3_0.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, Niel, that is a gorgeous, classy ring and emerald cuts work better than most stones on long, slender fingers!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one has good light return and is .90 H VS1 at $2951. That might leave you enough money for side baguettes...maybe not platinum, though.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/11733/

This one is lovely, too, at $2744:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9556/

And of course, GOG would be glad to bring in stones for you, as well. I just trust them the most on step cuts because they provide the images showing light return as well as video comparing the stones in different lighting.

scratch

Rough_Rock
Niel firstly I have to apologise as I just realised I've been mispelling your name this whole time (I'm really embarrassed) - sorry about that :/ secondly thank you for your reply it actually made me cry with relief - I guess I'm putting too much pressure on myself to get this 'right' instead of getting something I will love. I feel a big weight off my shoulders now that I think I'm back on the right track with looking for an EC.

and umm how did I miss Vampira's ring o... m... geee that is beautiful!!! I can't believe that's less than .5 cts that gives me hope again about being able to find something I will love under budget. That ring is stunning! :D

diamondseeker - thanks for posting the links! I would trust GOG as well I think they seem pretty honest and genuine and of course knowledgeable. I will ask to see a video of those 2 ECs. Can I ask how did you know the prices though because when I clicked on the links it doesn't say :/

scratch

Rough_Rock
Ooohh thanks for the tip Niel I will check out Ruby Lane - I didn't see that site before! :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone misspells it. Thats what I get for spelling it this way Haha

If you hit "reserve " on the gog stones that don't show the price, they will end up in a cart with a price showing, then just make sure to delete them after so they don't stay reserved.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, as Niel said, you click on Reserve Diamond to the right of the picture of the diamond. It just puts it in the cart and shows the price. I have several in my shopping bag/cart at any time. Just don't check out if you don't want to place something on hold!

James Allen has a wide variety of quality because they are owned by a diamond supplier. Some of their stones are great and some are bad! GOG can access almost anything on their site as well. You can generally tell from the ASET images if a stone is good enough. I just like the extra videos and upgrade policy at GOG, but it is not essential.

I really like the stone you just posted! You can choose up to three stones for them to do the ASET images on. I like VS1 and up for an EC. That is the least risky for a step cut as they can show inclusions more easily.

I think some of JA's settings are just fine. Depends on which ones, but I feel like you would be able to find one there as long as it allows your band to fit flush if you want that.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
scratch|1409237892|3740715 said:
Ahhh I see! Thanks for the insider tip! Hehe :)

Also I found this EC on JA which is a pretty good price, what do you guys think?

http://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.76-carat-h-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-244668

(I'm not sure if the link will work as I posted from my phone)

Is it okay to get a setting from JA as well or do you think they are not as good quality? :/
That was one of the EC's i liked too! I dont think theres anything wrong with Ja settings in general. I have a custom made one from them and the quality is nice, Im just not so sure about the 1K baguette one for you, i dont think it will get you a flush fit band, and im not sure about how the baguettes are set.

They are actually really budget friendly when it comes to custom settings, I might ask them to get you a quote for a setting like this, tell them your max budget, and that you want the head to taper in a way that lets you wear a flush fit w band.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/emerald-and-baguette-18k-white-gold-5449w18

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh, Niel! I adore that setting! :love: I do think the ring would be made with smaller baguettes, though, with a center stone under a carat. Might be worth asking!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh you are right DS. I forgot to mention you'll want proportional baguettes to your stone, that would help with the budget too. I would also ask them to make the shank 2mm, that from my experience will help them keep the price down. From what I've seen they are pretty good with trying to stick in your price range if you tell them your budget .

scratch

Rough_Rock
Oops I've been clicking on so many links today I think I lost track of what's what - sorry Niel didn't mean to take credit for the .76 that you found earlier today! Hehe I really do like that one! :)

I love BGD settings but how would it work it I bought the diamond from JA? Or would BGD buy it for me and I pay them along with paying for the setting :/

I don't think I mentioned this yet but I'm from Australia so I wouldn't want to ship the diamond here and then send it back cause then I'd have to pay customs twice (yikes!)

scratch

Rough_Rock
Oh wait I think I misread that... (yeah, it's 1am here...) do you mean ask JA to make a ring like the BGD one ?

scratch

Rough_Rock
Also were you guys thinking 14k or 18k white gold? I've heard pros and cons for both so I'm not sure.

What I've heard is that 14k is cheaper and harder therefore more durable. However I've also heard conflicting reports that since 14k has less gold content and more cheap metal content it is more prone to 'cracking'?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
scratch|1409239359|3740759 said:
Oh wait I think I misread that... (yeah, it's 1am here...) do you mean ask JA to make a ring like the BGD one ?
Yeah. Sorry I probably wasn't clear. Show James Allen that photo, tell them how much you want to spend on the setting, tell them you want the baguettes to be proportional for a .5-.7 ct EC, your finger size (or round about finger size) that you need it to make the head taper inward at the base so your band could sit flush, and that you want the shank to be 2mm. They take a day or two but they will get you a quote for how much it would cost them to make it.

Eta I like 14k myself. Its cheaper and its also whiter. My ring I decided not to even have them rhodium plate it. Left it just the 14k gold and its still a nice white color. So if you get it rhodium plated and the rhodium inevitably wears, the color difference is less noticeable than 18k

The cracking I don't think is a large enough deal to pay the premium for 18k in your case

scratch

Rough_Rock
Cool bananas. I am pretty set on that EC. I just asked JA to put it on hold for me (I need to sleep now, I'm going loopy!)

I'll email JA tomorrow about a quote for a custom setting!

Wow I'm really excited now - thank you guys for all your help once again and have a good night/day! :)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
scratch said:
Cool bananas. I am pretty set on that EC. I just asked JA to put it on hold for me (I need to sleep now, I'm going loopy!)

I'll email JA tomorrow about a quote for a custom setting!

Wow I'm really excited now - thank you guys for all your help once again and have a good night/day! :)

I'm really excited for you, scratch!! Your ring will be beautiful! I would choose 14K WG bc when the rhodium starts to wear off, it will be far less obvious since 14 has more nickel in the alloy so it's whiter without rhodium. My ring is 18K and I wish I'd gone the 14K route...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like ECs in smaller carat weights better than asschers. The rectangular shape gives them a lot of presence, and as you can see from what Niel posted, they look good with baguettes and don't get overwhelmed. Plus honestly they are lovely on the hand. I think getting an EC is a great idea.

Vampira

Rough_Rock
Niel|1409233358|3740674 said:
I wanted to show you something. This is by far one of my favorite rings on PS, and thats including all the door knockers.
this is Vampira's ring she shared with us a few months back. Her ring finger is somewhere between a 4.5-5.
The center stone is less than .5 cts. Its an emerald cut i know, but still. This is by far one of the most subtly classy rings ive ever seen, and its no honker.

My goodness, Niel, diamondseeker, and scratch, thanks for the kind words on my ring! Mine was also a vintage find, so of course I like that Rubylane option you linked to, Niel! But that BG setting is very lovely too. I especially like how the (bezeled!!) baguette settings attach to the center stone's basket. I originally looked briefly at Brilliant Earth, Blue Nile, etc, and all of those pre-made settings had baguettes that tapered into thin air, which bothered me.

Really excited for your ring, scratch, I'll be following along. It's exciting to see a classic smaller carat EC style ring be made from "scratch"! (Badum-pshhhhhhhhh)

scratch

Rough_Rock
msop and gypsy thanks for your feedback! I'm excited too! Feels like my head was going round in circles before with all these ideas and now it feels clear and focused cause there's a plan! That's thanks to everyone who has posted on my threads - I am SO glad I joined PS!

Vampira I totally get what you mean about the baguettes tapering into thin air - that bothers me too! I just need to say again how beautifully stunning your ring is!!! It's beyond amazing!

Update - I emailed JA about the custom setting and they replied really fast! They just wanted a few more details and clarification and now they are waiting for a quote from the design team. My fingers are crossed! :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
scratch|1409286461|3741197 said:
msop and gypsy thanks for your feedback! I'm excited too! Feels like my head was going round in circles before with all these ideas and now it feels clear and focused cause there's a plan! That's thanks to everyone who has posted on my threads - I am SO glad I joined PS!

Vampira I totally get what you mean about the baguettes tapering into thin air - that bothers me too! I just need to say again how beautifully stunning your ring is!!! It's beyond amazing!

Update - I emailed JA about the custom setting and they replied really fast! They just wanted a few more details and clarification and now they are waiting for a quote from the design team. My fingers are crossed! :)

Fingers crossed for an in budget quote!
While we wait, do you know your finger size??

scratch

Rough_Rock
So... I'm still waiting on a quote... but I keep checking that my EC is still on hold and I saw something freaky... can anyone else see this or am I just seeing things?

244668.jpg

scratch

Rough_Rock
Niel - not sure yet I have to go get sized properly!! I went to a cheapie jewellery store (like fashion jewellery not fine jewellery) and they said M 1/2 which is apparently a 6.5 but I don't think they were sure... so I'll go to another store and get checked hopefully this week!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results