shape
carat
color
clarity

To buy or not to buy...that is the question.

h4xhouse

Rough_Rock
So I have done a lot of shopping around at brick and mortar stores around my area, I have been to approximately 6 stores. So I have seen a lot of ring settings and various diamond prices. Since I have been looking and researching pretty actively the past month, I feel like I am now pretty familiar with the 4C's and general diamond knowledge. So I decided to start shopping around online and came across the James Allen website, I was pretty hesitant to buy online, but the diamond prices are pretty unbeatable compared to the physical stores around my area.

In general in my diamond search I have been looking for a 1-1.5 Carot, F-G Color, VVS2-SI1 Clarity, EX-VG Cut, Symmetry, and Polish. Looking to spend no more than 7k for the diamond.

Any who...I came across this AGS rated round diamond on the James Allen website for $6780 and it seems to good to be true (1.17 Carat, Color G, SI1, Polish Ideal, Symmetry Ideal, Cut Ideal: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-dia...arat-g-color-si1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-361882

**The website says not available for the diamond, but it is, it's just on hold. **

So visually, using the 40x magnification pictures on the james allen website I barely see any inclusions. The only worry I have is that the certificate states under comments "The clarity grade of this diamond is partly based on clouds that are not shown". The inclusions shown in the certificate are crystal inclusions along the outside of the diamond. So my main worry is the cloudiness and if it will affect the fire and brilliance of the diamond in a pave-solitaire setting.

Any ideas or opinions on the price and quality of the diamond? Anything I should be worried about before I make the purchase? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks All!

alpackie

Shiny_Rock
As of this time posting, that diamond is no longer available. Maybe it was too good to be true and got snatched up immediately :shock:

h4xhouse

Rough_Rock
It's actually on hold for me before I make a decision. So it is very much available even though it says not available :)

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
HCA is 3.0, I think you should pass on that alone. But I also think that the combo of med blue fluoro and clouds not shown might be a cause for concern, at least specifically ask the gemologist about it.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Medium YELLOW fluorescence drops the price.

alpackie

Shiny_Rock
Beat me to posting the HCA! I noticed fluor is stated on the web-copy of the cert as "medium yellow," I haven't seen a yellow fluor rock before! Wonder how that affects the color :o

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd pass on this stone. The diameter is too small for its weight, plus medium yellow fluor.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Clarity grade set by "clouds not shown" is usually bad. It's often a tipoff that there is haze or scattered inclusions throughout the diamond. Those will adversely reflect brilliance. Might give the diamond a slightly dirty / hazy look all of the time when clean, and the inclusions might have even more adverse impact once the diamond gets a bit dirty with wear. Personally, I'd much rather have a transparent diamond with one black/dark spec than a diamond full of "particulate matter." If the clouds are not in the table area it might not make much difference to the naked eye.

So, the only thing you can do is call JA and ask to have someone look at the diamond and tell you how hazy is is or isn't. Not all stones JA advertises are in-house stones. Many of them are with the cutter or wholesaler, and might be available to other vendors, as well.

eta: Yellow fluorescence is bad, if you want the stone to look white / colorless and not yellow.

h4xhouse

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your input. I did not know about the HCA calculator that Price Scope has, so I will definitely be utilizing that from now on during my search. So is it safe to say that the HCA should be between 1-2?

I am actually really glad the fluorescence was mentioned here because according to the rep at JA, the fluorescence doesnt matter unless the diamond is exposed to UV light. However, during my googling it was really hard finding info on medium-yellow fluorescence.

What are the recommended dimensions for a diamond between 1.1-1.2 carots? Since it seems like the diameter is too small for the carat weight.

So overall it seems like the consensus is to pass on this diamond....

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
h4xhouse|1409185180|3740467 said:
What are the recommended dimensions for a diamond between 1.1-1.2 carots? Since it seems like the diameter is too small for the carat weight.

So overall it seems like the consensus is to pass on this diamond....
For a 1.17ct it should be close to 6.8mm in diameter

h4xhouse

Rough_Rock
What do you guys think of this diamond here....it got an HCA score of 1.0

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.10-carat-j-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-298317

I recently saw two round diamonds in person, I color and G color. Could not really tell the difference between the colors looking at the table side of the diamond, I could tell a slight difference looking at the pavilion side. I have not yet seen a J colored diamond in person, are the color differences more noticeable between an I and J color round diamond?

Also, the setting I plan to put the diamond on is a french cut pave setting with about 20 diamonds ranging between G-H color. Do you think the J color center diamond will look noticeable different than the other diamonds on the ring once its placed in the setting?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results