shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher cut opinions would be lovely please

scratch

Rough_Rock
Hello! I've been guest-browsing PS for a while now and have finally made the plunge to join in and ask for help as I believe I may have found the one! Diamond, that is...

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/0.70-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-361899

Long story short, my fiancé proposed to me months back and knew that I would want to pick the ring so he asked sans ring. I've spent ages traipsing B&M stores, online forums, pinterest, you name it and finally think I have decided which style is 'me'. I think I'm going to go for an asscher cut diamond with tapered baguettes on the sides. FI also likes art deco style so he's keen too, he just wants me to be 'really, really sure' and stick under budget.

So what do you guys think? Any glaring negatives in this diamond that my noobie eyes aren't seeing?

Thanks in advance! :D

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stone has one very dark step. Not a great choice. Plus it's deep so it is facing up even smaller than most asschers.

What is your budget.
And do you realize how small a 4.8mm stone is going to be? ( I say this as a fellow asscher owner, the suckers face up really small, lamentably? I had to halo mine). You really can't see the steps in a 4.8mm asscher. And it is going to be completely overpowered by most baguettes.

I am going to strongly suggest you consider going down to I color and going up in size to at least 5.3 mm if we can get you there. And I am going to suggest you put all your money in the stone, and get a very expensive (but pretty) solitaire setting for now. And reset later on down the line with tapered baguettes or whatever you want.

What is your total budget?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is a very pretty stone. http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/11586/ At 4k, I am hoping it is budget friendly for you.

Here's a nice solitiare GOG can order for you: http://www.stuller.com/products/122005/?groupId=113778,,, here's another: http://www.stuller.com/products/122090/8647018/?groupId=118906

And if you want, get a quote for this: http://www.stuller.com/products/69706/3655885/?groupId=112409 From GOG and see what they can do for you.

I would ask for 14kt X1 White gold metal, if you want white metal.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Niel|1409097489|3739802 said:

Significantly nicer stones. And they do hit 5mm. But I really encourage you to consider putting nearly all of your budget toward a largers stone.

Just for your reference: an asscher at 75 points faces up at 5.0mm. A round at that same carat weight will face up at 6mm. That's a HUGE difference. And, if you are anything like the majority of asscher owners this will bug you.

scratch

Rough_Rock
Thanks Neil! Those are pretty too. I'm surprised the I is such a good colour (not too yellow)! That one is a bit better for budget. The G is pushing it a little bit... :/

Thanks Gypsy! (Tee hee I've been stalking PS for so long I feel kind of intimidated like talking to a celebrity :razz:) Budget is around 4k all up including the setting. Plus we live in Sydney Australia so we're going to have to pay 10% tax when it arrives too. I haven't been able to see any small asschers irl, only one HUGE 3ct or so, so I don't have any perspective, except that I saw a 3 stone round ring in person where the centre stone was the perfect size for my hand/finger - that one was a .40ct round which I know faces up bigger than asschers, but I went on diamdb and apparently it looked comparable with a .70 asscher... again this is all digital and estimations so I'm just guestimating :razz:

Also the other thing is that I really want a classic half round wedding band that will sit pretty much flush with the engagement ring so I'm worried that if I get a centre stone that is too big it either won't sit well together or I will have to set it up so high that it protrudes from my hand and I much prefer lower settings :/

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
scratch|1409098904|3739814 said:
Thanks Neil! Those are pretty too. I'm surprised the I is such a good colour (not too yellow)! That one is a bit better for budget. The G is pushing it a little bit... :/

Thanks Gypsy! (Tee hee I've been stalking PS for so long I feel kind of intimidated like talking to a celebrity :razz:) Budget is around 4k all up including the setting. Plus we live in Sydney Australia so we're going to have to pay 10% tax when it arrives too. I haven't been able to see any small asschers irl, only one HUGE 3ct or so, so I don't have any perspective, except that I saw a 3 stone round ring in person where the centre stone was the perfect size for my hand/finger - that one was a .40ct round which I know faces up bigger than asschers, but I went on diamdb and apparently it looked comparable with a .70 asscher... again this is all digital and estimations so I'm just guestimating :razz:

Also the other thing is that I really want a classic half round wedding band that will sit pretty much flush with the engagement ring so I'm worried that if I get a centre stone that is too big it either won't sit well together or I will have to set it up so high that it protrudes from my hand and I much prefer lower settings :/

If youre happy with that size i dont think theres anything wrong with getting the type of setting you want too.

So your going to get just baguette sides? what the setting youre thinking.

And yes, an I in that size will be plenty white

scratch

Rough_Rock
I just want a relatively plain, dainty setting, but solitaires make me feel toooo traditional so I like the idea of there being something on the side. Pave feels too busy for me, so that's why I was thinking tapered baguettes? If I got the setting from JA I was thinking this one:

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/side-stones/14k-white-gold-tapered-baguette-diamond-engagement-ring-item-7101

I am a bit more nervous about getting a setting unseen than the actual diamond... if it arrives and it's really chunky or thick then I will be disappointed. But I am absolutely in LOVE with Junerose's 2mm engagement ring, so I figure if I stick to around 2mm it should be okay...

I also saw a similar setting on another website which is similar and you can see a video of the actual setting on a hand but you can't see any of the diamonds like on JA. I'm not sure if this link will work properly but it's the 'Cairo' setting:

http://www.77diamonds.com/trilogy_rings.html

scratch

Rough_Rock
Gypsy, what effect will the 'dark step' have on the stone? Will it compromise the light performance or will it just be like a dark blur from certain angles? Sorry if this is really noobish :/

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
scratch|1409099816|3739823 said:
Gypsy, what effect will the 'dark step' have on the stone? Will it compromise the light performance or will it just be like a dark blur from certain angles? Sorry if this is really noobish :/

It will compromise performance. You want facets that flash as much as possible. And with step cuts that's a challenge already. You don't want one step (or more!) that are dark like that. Plus, as I said it only faces up at 4.8 which is small for the carat weight. The ones Neil posted for you are 5mm and that at least is a decent spread for the carat weight.

Look at the stones that Neil posted for you. That's what you want to see.

Solitaires are traditional, but they give you a lot of flexibility with wedding bands.
I like baguettes, but I can tell you that my asscher is 5.8 square and it was overpowered by most of the baguette settings I tried it out in.
As for pave. It's really not that blingy, honestly, especially if you just get a 2mm pave shank. And it's a nice contrast to the more quiet personality of asschers. But a pave band limits your wedding band options.

As for a tapered baguette setting... most of those that will accommodate your budget are going to be like that Stuller baguette setting I posted for you-- and those do not accommodate a flush fit wedding band. So if you want a flush fit wedding band, it's not a good choice.

You can get whatever you want. It's your ring. I'm just giving you some information that might be helpful. Ultimately, its your budget and your the one wearing it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you like bezels at all?

I think one of these bezel settings with milgrain added to it (JA could do that for you), would look pretty great with a 5mm asscher.
If you look at the actual pictures of stones and drop down the menu you can see that several asschers of the size you are looking at (75 point range) in this setting. If you like the clean contemporary look of it, it might be an option for you. It will let you wear a flush fit wedding band with it. And gives you an open field with wedding bands. Just something to think about.
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/14k-white-gold-bezel-solitaire-engagement-ring-asscher-center-item-3254

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1409102649|3739847 said:
Do you like bezels at all?

I think one of these bezel settings with milgrain added to it (JA could do that for you), would look pretty great with a 5mm asscher.
If you look at the actual pictures of stones and drop down the menu you can see that several asschers of the size you are looking at (75 point range) in this setting. If you like the clean contemporary look of it, it might be an option for you. It will let you wear a flush fit wedding band with it. And gives you an open field with wedding bands. Just something to think about.
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/14k-white-gold-bezel-solitaire-engagement-ring-asscher-center-item-3254

or a similar look, a plain shank halo.
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-white-gold-pave-halo-engagement-ring-asscher-center-item-17546

its like 100 more than the baguette one, BUT that I asscher is cheaper than the original one you liked, so could be about a wash. I know you said you felt pave was flashy. I have the same feeling myself which is why i cant wear pave rings with the pave in the shank, but ive had plain shank halos and they dont have that same "flashy" feel

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
scratch|1409102418|3739845 said:
Thanks Gypsy! It's all very, very helpful I promise! I'm going through the links and relooking at JA again as well.

I found this one which is also good for budget, slightly bigger but a J... but it looks pretty white? It has a little darkness in the middle but not as much as the first one I posted.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/0.81-carat-j-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-355031

Am I on the right track? :/

I dont like it as much as the first two i posted.

scratch

Rough_Rock
Ooooohhh that's very pretty woofmama! :D

scratch

Rough_Rock
I saw a 5 stone ring where the 4 straight baguettes were bezel set and the centre emerald cut was claw set... it was soooo pretty(!)... but for centre stone I don't think I'm a bezel girl :???:

Thanks for the links though! I really appreciate everyone's help! :)

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
scratch|1409104410|3739872 said:
Ooooohhh that's very pretty woofmama! :D

Of the three I found I like the 1st one the most. And it has Med Blue Fluorescence which helps a diamond look whiter.

Lets see what Gypsy thinks of my picks for you.

scratch

Rough_Rock
Oooh woofmama those are so pretty too! I didn't realise J's and K's could look so good! (See how much of a noob I am?! :razz: )

Thanks for taking a look for me!

scratch

Rough_Rock
FYI I'm leaning towards Neil's suggestion #1 of the I VVS1 0.72ct asscher.

It's really pretty and a good price point. I really don't want a big diamond anyway I would feel to uncomfortable wearing it everyday and I want to be able to wear it everyday!

Thanks everyone for your help :)

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You get 3 ASETs. The .75 G is my favorite.

For the other two choices, my choices would be to go with the .72 I, your first pick, or the .81 J, which admittedly looks very strange.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
scratch|1409122350|3739954 said:
FYI I'm leaning towards Neil's suggestion #1 of the I VVS1 0.72ct asscher.

It's really pretty and a good price point. I really don't want a big diamond anyway I would feel to uncomfortable wearing it everyday and I want to be able to wear it everyday!

Thanks everyone for your help :)

FWIW If I was you, that s the one Id pick too. I really like the G .75. But if its too much $$ than its to much $$.

Ask them to get you an aset before its gone.

Had you possibly considered buying a second hand setting? Save a little?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is important to remember is that color is graded FACE DOWN. Where there is NO light return. Not face up where there is light return and refraction. You wear diamonds set. FACE UP.

Within one color grade, even the labs can't agree on the color grades of stones and something could be a "high" H or a "low" E. So... no. Not really. Within 2 color grades it is hard. Not impossible. But very hard. And it gets harder once set. If you are talking ideal rounds, or any stone with ideal light return and no sharp corners it gets harder still because the ideal light return masks body color.

Generally we say to be conservative stay above H.
_327.png

If you are talking fancy shapes without ideal light return (because there is no 'ideal' light return or cut for EC's Radiant, etc) it's a bit different.

This is how I think of it.

Ever gotten one of those HUGE paint fan decks? Where there are literally 100s of colors of whites? And when they are RIGHT next to each other you can TOTALLY tell that one is bluer/colder and one is a bit warmer and which one is one is TOTALLY warmer. One there's one that's slightly greener. One that's slightly pinker? But really. They are all white?

Then you pick one after agonizing over this white or that white and when it's on the walls and people are like: Oh. You painted again. And it's STILL white. Great.

And you're all... BUT it's BLUE white. Or it's a WARM white now. It used to be ____ white. It's TOTALLY different.

It's like that. You are talking about shades of white. D is colder... J is warmer. But it's all white.

YES. If you have an accurately graded F and an H THAT HAVE THE SAME PERFORMANCE you are going to be able to tell them apart when you compare them side by side. Just like you would be able to tell if you painted your walls a warm white, but painted the crown molding a cold/straight white. But both are STILL white, you only see the contrast because of the proximity. But it's very slight, you could set an F center with G sides and never tell the difference. And even H sides depending on the setting and the size of the sidestones... especially with round brilliants.

I want you notice all the qualifiers thought. I'm talking about stones with the SAME performance. An ideal H will out white an F that has compromised light performance from a poor cut.

NOTHING impacts the appearance of a diamond as much as cut. CUT is king.

You want the shinest whitest and brightest diamond out there: Cut is King. No other factor, not color or clarity or anything else impacts how white bright an shiny a stone is. With Fancies that means getting the nicest stone in terms of faceting and light performance.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I almost always agree with Gypsy on Asschers (and everything else), so I don't have anything new to add. I do want to emphasize what she already told you, though. I would not get under 1 ct (5.5mm) in an asscher especially if it is not going to be in a halo. I have a right hand ring with a 1 ct asscher and even though it is an outstanding cut, it is on the verge of being too small to really appreciate as far as the step cuts go. I love it, but I honestly would rather have it larger except that I bought it to fit a specific setting.

I am sorry the GOG 1 ct I color asscher is above budget because that would be an outstanding choice. I am okay with the 1 ct J VS1 but you have to know there will be some tint in a J. I would not get any of the asschers under 1 ct unless I was going to use a halo. I am not sure where you could go to see asschers, because I surely don't have access where I live. But asschers at or under 5mm are really small.

This is the one I'd go for if you have to be closer to $3k on the diamond:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.01-carat-j-color-vs1-clarity-sku-327122

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would just like to point out that it is OK to have a small diamond

Not everyone wants a large one. I don't think we should try and sell her so hard on a larger diamond, she knows she wants a smaller diamond, as she said she tried on a .4 ct round and liked the size. Plus she doesn't want a solitaire, and wants an asscher.

I think as long as she knows what she wants who are we to say its wrong?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had an idea.

What do you think of this
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.76-carat-h-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-244668

Now heres the kicker, set it sideways.

That way your band will still be flush.

not an asscher though, so that might not work for you.

This one is cool i think, but its a K, so might not look good with baguettes.
And i know you think a solitaire is too classic, and i get that, but consider if it was set E/W, it might swing it just enough out of the "classic" feel to make it ok, and again it would again stit flush

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.94-carat-k-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-299814

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results