shape
carat
color
clarity

Octavia Asscher -new setting help please

debi1960

Shiny_Rock
I am one of the few lucky people to have purchased my Octavia about 4 years ago. It is currently set in a Verragio Setting and I am looking for a change. I am in the process of having a custom ring made for it from GOG. I just need some suggestions.

Kenny - maybe you can find my original picture and post it.

The Stats: 1.60 Octavia Asscher

Here is a link to the current setting Verragio Couture 0278

https://www.google.com/search?q=verragio+split+shank+halo&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=NZT7U-P1FqbmsASB94DABQ&ved=0CEkQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=775#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=MupY7WhkT9hMuM%253A%3B7v1RPjWe8ZN6zM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.verragio.com%252Fnews%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2011%252F01%252FCouture-0378-diamond-engagement-ring-Verragio.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.verragio.com%252Fnews%252Fpage%252F20%252F%3B526%3B516

The new setting I want is more like the Sylvie #sy442

http://www.sylviecollection.com/engagement/vintage-cut-corner-halo-diamond-engagement-ring-sy442.html

What I want in the new setting is lower setting, more distinct halo, love the octagon shape, and a tapered look on the hand. This one is almost perfect.

Currently, most people don't know what kind of stone I have, the setting I have now doesnt show the squareness of the stone. So, I was thinking the octagon shape halo would be perfect. I am just not sure how I want the sides to look. I have looked thru alot of the asschers posted and now am drawn to a more distinct halo setting.

Anyone have suggestions or help?

I am not good at posting pics so, if someone can help I would appreciate it. Thanks.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
debi1960|1408997008|3739124 said:
Kenny - maybe you can find my original picture and post it.

Your wish is my command. :cheeky:

da_verragio3.jpg

da_verragio4.jpg

da_verragio5.jpg

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a big fan of halos that emphasize octagon shape. My halo does just that for my square emerald cut diamond. My diamond has rather small clipped corners and the bezel halo helps make them the best they can be. You can see mine in my avatar.

debi1960

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Kenny!

Asscherhalolover- I love your setting, I like that it doesn't have prongs- my prongs stand out too much I think. I do like milligrain too though.

Any suggestions?? ZKenny, do you think my diamond would look good with the octagon halo?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
debi1960|1409008467|3739223 said:
Kenny, do you think my diamond would look good with the octagon halo?

Frankly, I think well-cut diamonds look best solo.

But if a halo is to be I'd use 8 step cuts, all custom cut to precisely continue the lines and angles of the windmill pattern of the Octavia.
I'd commission KarlK and Yoram to design and cut them to compliment your 1.60 ct Octavia.
I'd also have them design/cut two traps for the sides and no stones on the shank of the ring.
Naturally they both have to work with the creator of the ring so all 10 stones end up exactly where they belong.

My 2 cents. :$$):

debi1960

Shiny_Rock
Kenny- Thanks- so do you see in the pics where the current setting doesn't really compliment the asscher cut? It seems the diamonds underneath it make it look like a rounder diamond.

Also, I do like the idea of commissioning Karl to do it for me. I have an email into Marie @ GOG and see if he can do it. I really don't trust anyone else to handle this diamond besides Jonathan at Good Old Gold. The first time Verragio set my diamond, it was set crooked and when I had it checked for loose stones they noticed it, so I want to make sure the setting is perfect for this unusual and beautiful stone.

So, Kenny, are you suggesting a halo with two trapezoids? Like a three stone ring? I do like traps with the asscher so much.

Can you keep your eye on this thread so you can advise me further. I really appreciate your knowledge.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the new setting you are looking at. Would be interesting to see how it looks with your Octavia.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I think an octagonal halo would be gorgeous! I actually love a little sparkly frame around an asscher shaped stone! In fact, I have a ring that is roughly related to the Sylvie ring with a 1 ct asscher. I use mine as a right hand ring because it has pink side stones.

_21649.jpg

_21650.jpg

_21651.jpg

_21652.jpg

debi1960

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006- I just adore your setting. There is not one thing about it that I don't like. Do you think if I did that setting all in one color and all diamonds, it would be just as stunning? I think the two color metals and colored stones are what make it so stunning.

I love love love it....

debi1960

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006- are those pink stones sapphires? is that gold yellow or rose gold? I have an eternity band with pink sapphires in rose gold. I don't want to copy yours- but i think it is perfection.
Do you have any ideas how I can make it my own??

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS has pink sapphires set in rose gold in her gorgeous ring. Here is her thread: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-beaudry-asscher-dream-ring-with-side-pink-sapphires.183959/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-beaudry-asscher-dream-ring-with-side-pink-sapphires.183959/[/URL]

The ring would also look stunning in white gold or platinum only and colourless diamonds. The pink does create that 'oomph', making it extra stunning and unique. Would yours be a right hand ring or an e-ring?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An octagonal halo would do wonders for your stone as it emphasizes the shape. Mine has a multi sided shank and halo. Bright cut set with milgrain edges:

_21661.jpg

_21662.jpg

_21663.jpg

debi1960

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Acinom. I love your ring as well. This would be an engagement ring. I am getting attached to the octagon shape, I think I am 100% sold on that. I like the tapered look so the diamond doesnt just sit in the middle. I love the design of diamondseeker's and love the color, just afraid I would get tired of it after a while. But it is my favorite setting so far.

I want to note that three complaints I have about my current setting that I want the new one to solve:

1. The lower halo diamonds makes the stone look round, I want to accentuate the asscher cut- so I think the octagon halo does that.

2. I am getting diamond shrinkage sydrome- so tha'ts where the halo octagon works as well, accomplishes both.

3. I feel like my current setting is boring, I think I could do better.

4. I don't like the stone sitting high. I want it lower.

So I really think diamondseeker's ring is scoring on all levels. I don't want to copy so any suggestions to make it look a little different. I do love the mixed golds- and was wondering if it has to be platinum. Any concerns on using 18Kgold as opposed to platinum?

Thanks so much, please keep your opinions coming. I am waiting for Marie at Good Old Gold to get back to me with prices, etc. so nothing has been done yet.

What I also like is the milligrain and pave diamonds, so the ring isnt too blingy, and I would be comfortable wearing with jeans and for dressing up. I also don't want the ring to look too busy. The octavia has a lot more cuts than a traditional asscher so I am finding it hard to picture it.

Thanks for suggestions.... I can't wait to get this project started!!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some ideas for a different appearance for an inspired version:
- different colour sapphires (blue or purple or ..?)
- different engraving and filigree
- white metal only

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1409009388|3739232 said:
debi1960|1409008467|3739223 said:
Kenny, do you think my diamond would look good with the octagon halo?

Frankly, I think well-cut diamonds look best solo.

But if a halo is to be I'd use 8 step cuts, all custom cut to precisely continue the lines and angles of the windmill pattern of the Octavia.
I'd commission KarlK and Yoram to design and cut them to compliment your 1.60 ct Octavia.
I'd also have them design/cut two traps for the sides and no stones on the shank of the ring.
Naturally they both have to work with the creator of the ring so all 10 stones end up exactly where they belong.

My 2 cents. :$$):

Totally this. It would be amazing! I love step cuts set with other step cuts. Makes the setting look incredibly classy.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
Something like this would be fantastic:

rau.jpg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto that comment! :love:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
misskittycat|1409128806|3739964 said:
Something like this would be fantastic:

+1

If there has to be a halo I would use step cuts.
I don't like mixing rounds and step cuts.

I don't think the four long sides should have two short diamonds.
I'd rather see only one long one, custom cut to the perfect length.

debi1960

Shiny_Rock
This one is a contender, thoughts?

asscher_antique_0.png

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
debi1960|1409162096|3740230 said:
This one is a contender, thoughts?

Yay! It's amazing. I love love love this setting and it would be gorgeous with your stone. Great find.
What are your own thoughts about it?

debi1960

Shiny_Rock
I love the the ones I posted and diamondseeker's too.

I am torn because I want more bling but not too much. I think its between diamondseekers and the last one I just posted. Two different looks.

edited to add- do you think the last one needs more diamonds around it? I feel like on the curve of the shank could have diamonds. My ring is 1.60 but faces up like a 1.30 round, so its hard to tell if this is enough.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm with Kenny on this. Since you have a beautiful and exceptional stone-why guild the lily? You already have a halo design with tiny diamonds all about. i would go so classic and elegant and something so different that the change is more dramatic. I would do a three stone with either tapered baguettes or traps.

debi1960

Shiny_Rock
at lambskin- I was wanting a halo because I am getting diamond shrinking syndrome. I like the one here with the side traps. I just want to make the right decision.

You cannot tell in the pics but you really cant see the small diamonds under my asscher in my current setting, nor do you notice the ones on the prongs. All it does is make the asscher look round, which what I don't want.

Ok down to 3

diamondseekers
antique setting
and the halo w/ side traps

Now I will get prices and have to make a decision. Also a wedding band as well. Please post any suggestions for that. I will let you know which one I go with.

Please keep sending suggestions... thanks everyone so much!!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check out the Royal Chandelier Collection of settings at ERD. I've always thought an Octavia would look cool in one of those, otherwise I love your antique setting!!!

http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/

debi1960

Shiny_Rock
This is not my stone in the setting, he dropped in an asscher so I can get the idea.

We happened to be in Boston over the weekend and stopped in a custom jewelers.
Here's another setting, Thoughts Please!!!!!

tacori_princess_replica.jpg

debi1960

Shiny_Rock
Well, after receiving quotes from Good Old Gold, I questioned their pricing, since it seemed their in house pricing was more than designer prices. So far, no answer to my question. Annoying.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm with Kenny. I think that that type of custom cut stepcut halo costs around $10k, depending on the size of your stone though, based on a quote that LTP got years ago. So probably more now. This one isn't quite what Kenny is thinking, but close.

_22860.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
this?

haloasschertapered_baguette.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1412182783|3759899 said:
I'm with Kenny. I think that that type of custom cut stepcut halo costs around $10k, depending on the size of your stone though, based on a quote that LTP got years ago. So probably more now. This one isn't quite what Kenny is thinking, but close.

Yum-O-Rama! :cheeky:

The only change I make to that is to have one baguette on each of the four long sides.
That setting has two.

One baguette would continue the asscher pattern.
Using two baguettes interrupts the asscher pattern.

I'd also be very fussy that the 4 corner baguettes continue the edges of the asscher's windmills exactly out to the edge of the setting.
These things would make it look like one big asscher in stead of an asscher in a halo.

screen_shot_2014-10-01_at_12.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results