shape
carat
color
clarity

HHPMOM.... Took your advise and it worked!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
HHPmom, When we were at PP on Sunday we were chatting while Fly girl was trying to decide on Tahitian strands. We were talking about arrangement and the Tahitian rope you were wearing at the ruckus. You advised me to put all the random MM sized pearls into a bowl and mix them around with my fingertips and pour onto the bead board. Arranging if too many like colors fell together.
Well, I tried it and it looks great. I like it much more than when I painstakingly used the caliper and graduated them. They look better when doubled or tripled too. The size difference is not noticeable which is quite a surprise. Thank you for the suggestion.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Aww... You made my day. :D I am so glad it worked for your too. That was the trick Donna told me at 2010 Ruckus (pearlyshell in the other forum). I think you may remember her at J & H's wedding. I love it when we can share tips and learn new skills. One of the best thing I picked up at the 2011 Ruckus was Hisano's knotting workshop. I've always knotted using Henrietta Virchik's method. When I first started knotting, I watched one of PP's youtube knotting technique they recorded in China (with the large WSS strand). It was so confusing to me when she slipped the long strand through the knot. After Hisano taught it, everything made sense. I now knot using that method and no tool is needed.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
NacreLover - Do you have pictures of this project?!?!

Pattye

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thank you NL and HHPmom for sharing this discussion! :appl: "Random" is not easy to do, and this is super way of making the prelim layout.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Hhpmom, Why don't you post your strand, then I will post mine.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
NacreLover|1409092074|3739742 said:
Hhpmom, Why don't you post your strand, then I will post mine.

Thanks NL. My tutti fruity rope is 60" long, made from three Tara & Sons strands and one bracelet from PP (from 2007 ?). Pearls are 8-10mm. I don't have pictures of the pearls poured out on beading board.

img_4681copy.jpg

img_4761_resize.jpg

img_4785_copy.jpg

img_4783_0.jpg

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
I've worn them triple, double and knotted.

tahpearlstriple.jpg

p1010291_copy2.jpg

_21688.jpg

tah_rope_0.jpg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I'm so in :love: with your rope.

Now excuse me while I wipe my drool off the iPad.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
That is one fabulous rope !

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
The rope is tdf but my favorite pictures is the bowl of pearls!!! I could sit there and play with that for hours!!!

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the marvelous pictures! What a treat to scroll through them -- which I'll go and do again right now...

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, HHPmom, for some more pictures of your beautiful Tahitian rope. This is the one that caught my eye at the ruckus and convinced me that I needed a long rope. ;)) I love your styling and the beautiful pearl colors. :appl:

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Mine is 51" 7-10mm from The Pearl Source. I removed some pearls to create a bracelet and add to other strands. These were left.

_21725.jpg

_21726.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I was concerned about the placement of the white /gray Tahitians and the one golden south sea which is visable in the jelly roll photo at the 9 o'clock area third row in. I am surprised how well the sizes go together when worn.

_21727.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
What a wonderful rope! You are right -- the various sizes go together very well and the color variations are just beautiful. Well done! I am so impressed you two have these skills!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I wonder if the reason it works with different sizes is because the colors are so different you don't notice. Has anyone done it with single color pearls of different MM sizes?

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
NacreLover - Love your rope! I'd love to see it doubled (tripled?) with neck shots!

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
NacreLover, :love: :love: :love: it looks GREAT! The light gold pearl looks fine where it is. They are like Christmas ornaments. I think the way we mixed the sizes make them versatile. There is no concern about doubling with larger pearls behind the neck. It's interesting you raised the question about unicolor strand with mixed sizes. Is the strand inside a light tent? I am guessing because of your first picture.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
HHPmom, I bought a light box on ebay. I took it outside on my covered porch and set it up with three sides (no top) and a bottom and used the natural diffused light.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am suffering severe pearl envy for both of your strands!!! Just gorgeous!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I find this thread so cool because I was there and witnessed this conversation. 8-)

Love seeing the photos of the beautiful pearls from both of you. Yes, they are that stunning in real life. :bigsmile:

I purchased some colorful Tahitian rounds during the ruckus, and I asked Hisano to graduate them from big to small several times throughout the rope, thinking that this would to keep a large pearl front and center in different wearing configurations. After it arrives (I'm still waiting on the yellow gold equestrian clasps to come in), I'll be happy to report on this variation.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
You rope is dazzling. You are a round pearl girl all the way. This rope is in my top 5 favorite for ropes. OMG. Perfection!

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
Ladies, these ropes are incredibly gorgeous ... thanks so much for sharing both the photos and the tips/techniques!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
The photo of Hhpmom in the green dress holding the umbrella is the first time I saw this rope. She wore it to Jeremy and Hisano's wedding. She brought it to the ruckus and again I admired it on her. These photos don't do it justice, it's much better in person.

Fly girl, Yes, you were with us. I can't wait to see your necklace. Those Tahitians were fantastic.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I love the picture of the dish full of tutti fruity pearl "candy." Both of these ropes have such gorgeous colors. It's nice to know that you can successfully mix sizes like that. I'm jealous of your stringing skills (as well as pearls) -- it would be nice to be able to re-make pieces without sending them off.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
NacreLover|1409322410|3741385 said:
The photo of Hhpmom in the green dress holding the umbrella is the first time I saw this rope. She wore it to Jeremy and Hisano's wedding. She brought it to the ruckus and again I admired it on her. These photos don't do it justice, it's much better in person.

Fly girl, Yes, you were with us. I can't wait to see your necklace. Those Tahitians were fantastic.

Thank you NacreLover and everyone for your compliments. I was inspired by Kay's post and Gellner's pictures [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-is-your-current-dream-project.205062/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-is-your-current-dream-project.205062/[/URL] . So I took some pictures of my ropes in those styles. One of the selfies is blurry but you get the point.

rope_style_1.jpg

rope_style_2.jpg

rope_style_3.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
I have to say -- these styles are ravishing on you! Absolutely glorious. Thanks so much for posting!!!

(How many inches/cm do you need to accomplish these styles?)

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
bsomlo|1409360159|3741776 said:
I have to say -- these styles are ravishing on you! Absolutely glorious. Thanks so much for posting!!!

Thank you. I think 54" will do (for both styles) but you won't be able to knot like my first picture. If you want the Andy Muller strand's look then you have to use pearl shortener in the back to keep it in place. I have 60" so I looped it around the fold and it stayed put. With 60" the necklace is longer than how Gellner styled theirs. It looks like the Gellner model's strand ends around her belly button. Mine fell around the hip area. I prefer wearing it like the first picture. Tomorrow I'll try looping 2 times and a very short lariat.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
HHPmom|1409360779|3741779 said:
bsomlo|1409360159|3741776 said:

Thank you. I think 54" will do (for both styles) but you won't be able to knot like my first picture. If you want the Andy Muller strand's look then you have to use pearl shortener in the back to keep it in place. I have 60" so I looped it around the fold and it stayed put. With 60" the necklace is longer than how Gellner styled theirs. It looks like the Gellner model's strand ends around her belly button. Mine fell around the hip area. I prefer wearing it like the first picture. Tomorrow I'll try looping 2 times and a very short lariat.

Yay -- thank you so much for trying these styles for us to see! :D I really love the way it looks knotted on you in the first picture. I am guessing the Gellner Mermaid strand is about 54" and worn by a very tall model, so the long lariat hits her higher. I bet your strand would look great as a triple with a short lariat tail like the WSS Mermaid photo I posted on the other thread.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results