shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it possible? To change engagement ring to a Mother's ring

Kanga

Rough_Rock
Hi all!

Ugh...I'm having so many issues with my current engagement ring. Last December my jeweler discovered a huge crack in my princess cut diamond. I was devastated and left with two options...have my insurance company replace the diamond with one of similar grading or take the cash out option. I literally sat and thought about it for months. The truth is, we ave been married 10 years this month and I want a whole new ring. My husband, understandably, is hurt that I would want to get a whole new ring rather than replace the diamond. He asked me what I would do with the setting...which leads me to my questions:
1. Is it possible to change my prong setting in order to hold my children's birthstones as the "main" stones and wear it as a right hand ring? (I have attached pictures of my setting)
2. My daughter is a June baby...are pearls acceptable stones for everyday wear?
3. Could I make the pearl the main stone and a halo of of colored stones to represent my son's birth month?
4. Should I just suck it up, replace my diamond, and call it good?

I'm so conflicted! Thank you for your help!

_21675.jpg

_21676.jpg

_21678.jpg

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: Is it possible? To change engagement ring to a Mother's

I love the idea that you're considering using your daughter's birthstone in your original e-ring setting. It's a great way to keep the setting and still upgrade (can you tell my vote on that one?). However, pearls are not a good idea for every day wear. They're very soft and can damage very easily. Have you considered a synthetic alexandrite (also June's birthstone) as an alternative?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm so sorry about the damage on your diamond but glad that at least your insurance covers it.

Does your setting have regular prongs or chevron prongs? I cannot see them clearly in your pictures. Chevron prongs will be very limiting and most coloured stones are not Princess cuts. If they are regular pointy prongs, you can set a round or square cushion stone in it.

Unfortunately, pearls are one of the most delicate "gems" and are far from everyday wear. Alexandrite is the most durable of all your options but they are also the most expensive and tricky to purchase due to their colour changing characteristic. Any other months you might consider?

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock

Reusing your setting to represent your kids is a lovely idea. What about moonstone for the June gems? I think it's an accepted alternative to alexandrite and pearl. Post some more pictures of the setting.

S

SparkliesLuver

indigoblue said:
Reusing your setting to represent your kids is a lovely idea. What about moonstone for the June gems? I think it's an accepted alternative to alexandrite and pearl. Post some more pictures of the setting.

I second the use of moonstone. That'd be very pretty.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Faceted moonstone isn't an everyday wear ring stone either, whilst a cabochon moonstone needs a different type of mount.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results