shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice for purchasing an emerald

S

SparkliesLuver

Ohhhhhhh! :love: Let me look again, Chrono...

S

SparkliesLuver

Chrono said:
The problem is that the nicest emeralds photograph very poorly...

Because of where I live, I feel like this is why I'd miss out on so many options if I were to only buy in-person. I need to become better about viewing them online, and ordering ones that might work (just to see them in person).

S

SparkliesLuver

I was so excited that I missed the fact that you can make the images larger. haha That helped! I see it now. :drool:

I just wish the stone were a bit larger. My stupid sausage fingers make everything look tiny. :wall:

I might have to keep that in my inspiration folder of what my future emerald should look like. I'll look at it again tonight (if it's still available) and talk with DH about it. I might even email EE to see if they have anything like it but larger.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you aren't buying now, just look around a lot, attend a gem show or two when close by and just go from there. Oh, and do get the Emerald book.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1409063967|3739495 said:
SparkliesLuver|1409063869|3739492 said:
Chrono said:
Budget and mm size?
<a class="vglnk" title="Link added by VigLink" rel="nofollow" href="http://www.embassyemeralds.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&manufacturers_id=&products_id=577"><span>http</span><span>://</span><span>www</span><span>.</span><span>embassyemeralds</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/</span><span>index</span><span>.</span><span>php</span><span>?</span><span>main</span><span>_</span><span>page</span><span>=</span><span>product</span><span>_</span><span>info</span><span>&</span><span>manufacturers</span><span>_</span><span>id</span><span>=&</span><span>products</span><span>_</span><span>id</span><span>=</span><span>577</span></a>

By the way, that one is gorgeous. The color and clarity are superb. I feel like it's missing that bluish green tint though that I had my heart set on. Or is it just my eyes? I should consider all at this point, though. :)

The blue is there. :))

That stone is from the Muzo mine in Colombia. There are various mines in Colombia, but the Muzo mine is known for producing the top emeralds in Colombia, and Colombia is #1 for emerald quality. Chivor is another well known mine in Colombia, but the emeralds are typically lighter in color, not that deep velvety green that is so highly prized. They are beautiful though as well.

Here's mine, I was told it was Muzo by an expert in emeralds, although I never got an origin on it. I bought it over a decade ago from a Colombian dealer. The stone photographs horribly. It's like looking at a Mercedes, which photographs as a Yugo. :???: :knockout:

The emerald book by Ringsrud is one of the best books out there on gems, let alone emeralds. BTW, some of the best emeralds I ever saw were in antique pieces. I see more fine emeralds at an antique show than at a gem show. However, one must always get a reputable lab report (preferably AGL) when buying an expensive emerald.

tlemeraldsmall.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
You say you are a newbie.

You should know that a 2,85 ct emerald has the same volume as a 4 ct sapphire!

A 0,50 ct emerald will look like a 0,70 ct sapphire.

S

SparkliesLuver

TL: Yours is lovely. May I ask the dimensions?

It's good to keep in mind that nice emeralds photograph horribly. That makes this process even harder! :wall: I'll order the book the next time I place an order on Amazon.

Marlow: Thank you! I am a newbie but I'm not 100% a newbie. ;-) Meaning, I do know to look at mm instead of carats, especially on CS. I had a 7.88mm zircon that I returned (for a different project) because it was too small. For that one, I now know that I'd like something closer to 10mm. The emerald that Chrono posted earlier is gorgeous in terms of color and cut but it was 4.39mm. That's pretty small for my large fingers. But I do need to keep in mind that color is going to be of utmost important with emeralds, so my standards might need to shift accordingly. Plus, I'm not sure yet (since I'm not planning on buying now) whether this ring will be for my middle or ring finger on my right hand. That makes some difference. By the way, if you see a 2.85 ct emerald that looks like the one mentioned above, you have to let me know! :naughty:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have them, sorry. I have to measure one of these days. I'm going to set it soon.

S

SparkliesLuver

No apologies needed; I was just curious. Oh, really? I'm anxious to hear what your plans are. :D

S

SparkliesLuver

Ok, everyone. Here's where I need your advice as well. I've uploaded two different Colombian emeralds with WAY different prices. Why on earth are these so different? :confused: I understand the size difference but there has to be more to it than that. Please explain! And which do you prefer?

First two pictures are of Emerald 1:
1.63 cts
7.1mm x 6.9 x 5.1
Price is more than $7k

Second two pictures are of Emerald 2:
.46 ct
4.39mm x 4.25
Price is $920

_21670.jpg

emerald1_1.jpg

_21671.jpg

emerald2_2.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1409077772|3739609 said:
No apologies needed; I was just curious. Oh, really? I'm anxious to hear what your plans are. :D

I have a setting for it already that's been sitting around empty for years. I have to get to the jeweler and have it set finally. I had another Muzo emerald in a platinum setting, but the jeweler chipped the side :( It's between 1 and 2 carats, but I forget the actual size. I think 1.5 cts, but not sure.

Be really careful who you use to set emeralds, and NEVER EVER let them put it in an ultrasonic cleaner or steam cleaner. A lot of jewelers will clean them after setting, and those are the two cleaning machines of choice usually. :wall: Be especially careful if you set one in platinum as it is such a hard metal. I had another jeweler chip an emerald in a platinum setting at a gem show too. :knockout:

Unless you have a superb jeweler, I would go with high karat gold to set an emerald.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1409078302|3739614 said:
Ok, everyone. Here's where I need your advice as well. I've uploaded two different Colombian emeralds with WAY different prices. Why on earth are these so different? :confused: I understand the size difference but there has to be more to it than that. Please explain! And which do you prefer?

First two pictures are of Emerald 1:
1.63 cts
7.1mm x 6.9 x 5.1
Price is more than $7k

Second two pictures are of Emerald 2:
.46 ct
4.39mm x 4.25
Price is $920

Above 1 carat, the price is usually much more, but yes, that's quite a bit more. Emerald prices took a huge dramatic jump in the last several years or so.

S

SparkliesLuver

Ohhh, I can't wait to see it. :) I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. That's so awful and upsetting. I can't even imagine.

Thank you for the advice on setting an emerald! I didn't even really think about that since that part seems so far away. I'll definitely store that in my memory bank. ;-)

haha Yes, that's A LOT more. Are my eyes missing something? Because I don't see a six thousand dollar difference between those emeralds. I understand that emeralds above 1ct are a premium, but still. If that's the case across the board then I will only look at ones under that mark.

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
the 40ptr seems to have good clarity at least , judging colour from a photo is impossible .
I recently paid a professional to take photos of Muzo Emeralds and he didn't charge me anything after he gave up I threw out the photos. enough said.

S

SparkliesLuver

To the PSer who purchased the emerald from Embassy Emerald, please post pictures here once you receive it. It's only fair. ;-) Thank you! I'd love to see your photos of it as well, especially compared to the vendors.

Treasurehunter: Sorry about your recent photography experience. Sounds about par for the course though, at least from what I'm hearing. I think I have a lot of trade shows in my future. :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are emeralds 1 & 2 from the same vendor? I'd like to take photography/light differences out of the equation if possible. I presume both are oiled only. What is the level of oiling?

S

SparkliesLuver

No, they are from different vendors. Emerald 2 is the one you suggested from EE. Both have been oiled only with cedar oil. I'm not sure of the level. Sorry. What are the typical levels? :oops:

I have more pictures of Emerald 1, I think. I'm not paying $7k for it, so I don't mind sharing more...if you want.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would make sure that it is cedarwood oil only (if you are particular about oiling) because sometimes it is mixed with Palma resin but not disclosed. Pure cedar oil will leak and tend to be a bit messy. Over the past few years, I have come to appreciate and accept the modern resin Permasafe. Treatment levels come in the minor, moderate and significant ranges. The attached pictures show the before and after treatment appearance for each treatment level.

gia_emerald_clarity_enhancement_classifications.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Okay, thank you. I'll be sure to ask. That's a great visual. I assume that if they do not know the treatment, you should always pass on the stone? To me, that seems like a red flag.

I received a few other emerald options (along with Emerald 1) from the same vendor; however, all of his stuff is very expensive (even after I gave him a budget, he showed me several stones above it) so I'll probably pass. Still a good learning experience though. :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not necessarily; I think it isn't disclosed because most people are unaware of the differences and that it affects pricing.

S

SparkliesLuver

I suppose that makes sense. So at that point, you'd buy the stone, have it tested, and go from there.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1409142629|3740022 said:
I suppose that makes sense. So at that point, you'd buy the stone, have it tested, and go from there.

Pretty much but also have the final sale contingent on the outcome of the lab report. I would have the vendor send the stone to the lab on your behalf because he is then responsible for any loss/damages in the interim.

S

SparkliesLuver

Excellent points, Chrono. Thank you. :) Words to live by in the CS world.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most emeralds fall into the moderate treatment category, which is still acceptable by the trade. I would avoid any with significant treatment, but like Chrono states, the amount of treatment has a huge affect on pricing. The second stone is very clean. Any stone with significant treatment is going to still look extremely included.

The best emeralds usually have none to faint treatment.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1409139778|3740001 said:
No, they are from different vendors. Emerald 2 is the one you suggested from EE. Both have been oiled only with cedar oil. I'm not sure of the level. Sorry. What are the typical levels? :oops:

I have more pictures of Emerald 1, I think. I'm not paying $7k for it, so I don't mind sharing more...if you want.

Well that would also explain the disparity in pricing. Vendors can charge whatever they want to for a colored gem, and don't really always adhere to what the market value is of the gem. It's not like white diamonds.

For example, a store with a designer name, or high overhead, will typically charge more than a place that doesn't have as much overhead. Also with emeralds in particular, the amount of middlemen in the procurement of a stone can be high for some dealers, which also affects the price.

Photography techniques also differ among vendors, so it's often difficult to compare two stones from two different vendors. Since emeralds photograph so poorly, this makes evaluation even more difficult.

S

SparkliesLuver

TL: Emerald 1 is from more of a designer name than Emerald 2. So that would also explain the difference in price. I just wanted to see if that would actually happen and how different they would be. You don't know unless you ask, right? ;-) And the middlemen comment makes sense, too. I'm sure a bigger name has more than a smaller shop.

diamondenvy1

Rough_Rock
Trade
TL|1409078387|3739616 said:
SparkliesLuver|1409077772|3739609 said:

I have a setting for it already that's been sitting around empty for years. I have to get to the jeweler and have it set finally. I had another Muzo emerald in a platinum setting, but the jeweler chipped the side :( It's between 1 and 2 carats, but I forget the actual size. I think 1.5 cts, but not sure.

Be really careful who you use to set emeralds, and NEVER EVER let them put it in an ultrasonic cleaner or steam cleaner. A lot of jewelers will clean them after setting, and those are the two cleaning machines of choice usually. :wall: Be especially careful if you set one in platinum as it is such a hard metal. I had another jeweler chip an emerald in a platinum setting at a gem show too. :knockout:

Unless you have a superb jeweler, I would go with high karat gold to set an emerald.

Good advice here.

We have a joke around the office when we are handling emeralds because they are so delicate - don't breathe too heavy or you might crack it. Obviously this is an exaggeration, but when you find the perfect emerald and start to think about settings, make sure you think about protecting the stone somehow (bezel setting, a halo, etc.)

S

SparkliesLuver

Chrono (and others), I don't remember this treatment being on your "acceptable" list. Thoughts?

"This stone has been treated with a newer patented processes known as ExCel. This is a reversible treatment that allows the emerald to be ultrasonically or steam cleaned. The ExCel process carries a lifetime guarantee. It is the currently the best emerald treatment on the market and hailed as superior to oil by most major gemological laboratories."

http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=209

43615.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1411733074|3757268 said:
Chrono (and others), I don't remember this treatment being on your "acceptable" list. Thoughts?

"This stone has been treated with a newer patented processes known as ExCel. This is a reversible treatment that allows the emerald to be ultrasonically or steam cleaned. The ExCel process carries a lifetime guarantee. It is the currently the best emerald treatment on the market and hailed as superior to oil by most major gemological laboratories."

Excel is acceptable for emeralds. I've only heard good things about it from tradespeople as well.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1411733074|3757268 said:

:shock: :love:

I have several small Emeralds from Panshjir - A german vendor bought top quality rough and they cut it. The color of this material is a PURE vivid green - best emerald together with fine columbian stones. Larger emeralds were MI - HI. This is super clean - wish I could see it in real. The prize.... 10K pct.... well , it is ****ing rare!!!

You will buy it??? :D :naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results