shape
carat
color
clarity

Purple stones that shift/flash pink and blue

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another rookie CS question. I wasn't going to post this here with the serious CS folks since this was purchased for me as a "novelty fun" ring.

At first, I thought the ring was costume but it tests for 12-14kt (its rose gold). Total bling and definitely a conversation piece. In the dim antique store where my mom bought it, the stones were deep purple like amethysts but shop owners said they didn't what the stones were as it wasn't worth sending out for testing. They said the smaller white stones MIGHT be spinels but weren't diamonds.

But now I don't think the larger stones are amethysts. In sunlight, the stones got much lighter - lavender to blue. In my neighbor's house, they start looking deep pink. I started to worry that the stones were coated or synthetic.

I've started reading about color-change, color-shift, synthetic, coated, natural...and just more confused :sick: I've had guesses all over the place from vintage stores and even a jeweler who fixed a prong. But no one I've shown it too seems to have any idea what they are but they seem to be gemstones of some sort (or so everyone has indicated). Admittedly, have not been to a gemologist.

I posted this in the antique and vintage forum since the only ring I found with the same design was listed as vintage in Ruby Lane (but it was rubies and opals). I was hoping the style might lend to more ideas of origin and what was used in these rings. Pictures can be found there:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/harem-ring.205215/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/harem-ring.205215/[/URL]

I get stopped every time I wear it and it really is a great piece. So I do want to know if it might need special care (in wear or cleaning or storing). I know that no one can tell me for sure what it is without having it evaluated IRL but you guys seem to see more in photos than the average person. Given what she paid, I assume its not worth spending the money.

Any ideas of what they MIGHT be? Is it worth having it evaluated or should I just enjoy it for what my mom bought it for...a fun conversation piece. Tips on cleaning and care if I don't know what it is?

Tiger_Lily

Rough_Rock
Color changing garnet?

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tiger_Lily|1408911233|3738615 said:
Color changing garnet?

That was one of the guesses given to me...but I read that most color changing garnet exhibit brownish-green or bronze and blue was rare. It also seems to match the description of a color change spinel someone recently posted on LT...which also gave me courage to post this here. She only paid $300 - the sellers couldn't guarantee they were amethysts so priced more based on gold and workmanship.

On the other hand, I think that either would've been an unlikely find from what I've read - given the number of stones and their size?

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Have a bad feeling - could be synthetic or simulants for alexandrite!

The last picture - very uniform suspiciousc color ....

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1408913040|3738627 said:
Have a bad feeling - could be synthetic or simulants for alexandrite!

The last picture - very uniform suspiciousc color ....

Yep - that was the sinking feeling I had when I saw the color shift in sunlight (and why I didn't post it here on CS to start). Not because it still isn't beautiful but because she overpaid. In fact, I thought it was costume jewelry except for the gold and finding the same style with real rubies/opals on Ruby Lane (for much more).

Given the size of the stones and how they matched, my gut reaction was some sort of simulant. If that is what it is, can it be cleaned like a real gemstone?

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Buy some nice rhodolites and set them....

Tiger_Lily

Rough_Rock
Sapphire is another option. If real ofc.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Tiger Lily. I may bring it to a gem show to see if anyone has thoughts.

Marlow|1408914162|3738637 said:
Buy some nice rhodolites and set them....

laughing...I'm think your color preferences lean towards pink/reds?

To be honest, I am okay with it being costume for now (which makes it inappropriate for this forum and why I didn't ask here originally). It really was bought for the novelty...its blingy and fun. As I mentioned, people are always asking about it when I wear. The color change, ofc or not, just makes it more interesting.

My concern is more on the care and handling. For example, I lock up my more expensive pieces and don't take with me when traveling. Also, cleaning varies based on stone types, etc.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
No, rhodolites are compared to their quality quite cheap and nice.

I have no favorite color - some of my green stones are difficult to picture and some collector stones are not very attractive for a real CS lover.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would just wear and enjoy it as is, as you said. To be on the safe side, just warm soapy water to keep it clean. I would not soak it in case it is coated, but I don't think it is coated.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Given the size of the stones and how they matched, my gut reaction was some sort of simulant. If that is what it is, can it be cleaned like a real gemstone?

I'm with Marlow in that I think they are the colour changing simulant and given that jewellers who have seen it can't really determine what they are, perhaps you could track down a gemologist near you who may be interested in determining what they are with a bit more accuracy. Otherwise, as Chrono says, just enjoy it for what it is - a very pretty and probably endlessly fascinating colour change ring.

I would also agree that they don't look coated. Have you inspected them with a loupe? If coated you may well find a tiny scratch somewhere that would confirm the coating. In any case the advice of warm soapy water and baby soft toothbrush will deal with cleaning everything except the worst caked on grime.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starzin|1409017622|3739288 said:
Have you inspected them with a loupe? If coated you may well find a tiny scratch somewhere that would confirm the coating. In any case the advice of warm soapy water and baby soft toothbrush will deal with cleaning everything except the worst caked on grime.

I haven't...but come to think of it, one of my jeweler's did. I was there and told him I thought one of the prongs was catching - he then cleaned it and spent a good 30 minutes checking each prong. He is a high end Asian jeweler (22kt, jade, diamonds)- so probably would've said something other than he didn't know what they were. Someone else said they didn't think it was coated because of something about the way the colors change/flash in the light (not an exact quote). I do wonder if someone took out the original stones (whatever they were) and replaced it with the simulants, oh well.

Anyway - thanks all for your thoughts and direction - it is a fun piece that invites conversation so I don't think I will touch it for now.

(And Marlow - didn't intend to slight you - I just keep envying your pink stones).

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
:D

No, pink is a wonderful gem color!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results