shape
carat
color
clarity

Getting vintage 10k gold ring re-polished in a satin finish?

goldbandgirl

Rough_Rock
I'm getting a ring that is 35 years old. It's fine, but the high-polish has dulled some.

I actually prefer the satin/brushed/matte finish. Would a jeweler will be able to do that with a ring that originally had a high-polish finish?

Also, is it a bad idea to have a ring re-polished? Idk if this one's been re-polished before or not. it's in pretty good condition - no scratches or signs of wear, so it's possible.

Will a local jewelry store do this for free? It'd also be nice if they could check the ring out...would I have to pay for that?

idk anything about jewelry obviously :) sorry if these are stupid questions.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: Getting vintage 10k gold ring re-polished in a satin fin

Getting a satin finish shouldn't be a problem. I would guess a jeweler wouldn't do it for free, but I doubt it would be expensive - less than $50, I'd bet. No, it wouldn't cause any harm. I hope you post pics - we love vintage pieces around here!

goldbandgirl

Rough_Rock

thanks!
i will as soon as i get it in the mail...and then when I get it polished

what if I went to Kay's or another chain? (don't like chains though) I've heard some people say that jewelers polish rings for free, even if they didn't sell them to you.

goldbandgirl

Rough_Rock

i just noticed it's only 1 mm thick. will it still be okay to polish it? or will that make the ring too thin?

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

GBG - no, that width is still ok to polish. Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results