clarity

Thoughts?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Chrono,
I am sorry the link and the picture of the sapphire are from two different vendors. Are you referring to the stone from AJS when you say the cutting looks good? Does the cutting look good on both? I have not ordered either, I did just send one other back (not shown here ) for being too violet though. Solitaire setting is how I Would set either stone. Vendors said while saturated the stones do not ever go black.. :wavey: Thank you so much for helping me!

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you TL both stones are dark I guess I would have to order them to see how dark, but I wanted to see if they were worth requesting a look. Thank you so very much. Thank you Chrono for fixing my link! Oops

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fancygems|1408982073|3738989 said:
Thank you TL both stones are dark I guess I would have to order them to see how dark, but I wanted to see if they were worth requesting a look. Thank you so very much. Thank you Chrono for fixing my link! Oops

From my experience, and from what I've seen on this board, if a vendor's stone is dark in his/her photo, it's more than likely to be darker in person.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1408983067|3738995 said:
From my experience, and from what I've seen on this board, if a vendor's stone is dark in his/her photo, it's more than likely to be darker in person.

Agreed. Most stones tend to look darker in person than pictured.

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Okay I will keep looking ;-)

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1408983067|3738995 said:
Fancygems|1408982073|3738989 said:

Agreed.

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
This is the one I had ordered and sent back for reference.

_21642.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
That last shot looks much brighter. Is that the pic that AJS gave you? Are the hand shots above your own?

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Hi the last one is one I returned. The top shot is another vendor and the link was AJS. Three separate stones. Sorry!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry the first stone is too violet for you....because I love it. :devil: Okay, since the only issue is the violet modifier, have you asked the vendor if he/she has other sapphires that is less violet?

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Chrono,
I am not sure if the modifier was the only issue I didn't know to evaluate the stone it looked much like the YouTube video more accurately than the photo with a slight bow tie and a little bit of light on one side and darker on the other as you turn the stone. This was all evident in the video as well,I also could not tell if I was seeing a tilt window or a micro window and could not get accurate pictures. I did not trust my lack of knowledge when it come to colored gems. So I kept looking..thanks again

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I'm all confused now.

Stone 1 - Returned stone - it came with a YT video. Returned it due to cut and colour issues. Any chance of being able to share this with us?
Stone 2 - AJS stone
Stone 3 - Unnamed vendor (the darker one on the hand picture).

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Yes I should have labeled as you did stone 1 on Gemrite look at the video please it is native cut http://www.gemrite.com/collections/gems/sapphire

Stone 2 AJS and Stone 3 mastercut gems noted too dark. Sorry I was trying to be discrete because of lurkers, but I need to help you help me :) hope that's clear.

Thanks Chrono!

I also noted one on loupe troop but seller says it is not eye lean.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stone 1 - I see the 1/2 shadowing in the video, so I understand your reasoning for the return.
Stone 2 - AJS. Could be worth a look but from observation, the stone tends to look a bit darker in person. I'm guessing the shadow in the video is due to camera obstruction.
Stone 3 - hand shot. Looks dark but if this is the darkest it looks in person, then it can only look better with stronger light.

I would also reach out to this vendor:
Joe Escobar - http://www.escobardiamonds.com

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono, I so appreciate your help!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found the link for the 3rd sapphire and unfortunately, that picture is the best picture possible, meaning that it is going to look darker in person. Unless you like darker toned stones, I would pass on this one.

stone_17.jpg

better_blue.jpg

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
I thought the same thing..sigh

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
I am waiting for Ryan at Joe Escobar to get back to me, but Roger said he has two unheated blues for RG setting. While I love the square cushion shape he said it is brighter but less saturated than the oval. Also, that there is no gray in the cushion in outdoor lighting so I assume there may be some indoors.

_22330.jpg

_22331.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Personally speaking, I really like the look of the latest oval but I understand the desire for a cushion.

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Seems as though there is always a trade off..

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
It depends how long you are prepared to keep looking. I've known posters here to spend 1-5 years searching for their perfect gem... which they eventually found :))

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
From Ryan
"The cushion is a pretty amazing stone. The perfect color to me is one that is electric blue .. With very little black... And has enough depth to sparkle ... And saturated enough to hold the color without having pastel tones.
I took the photos in fluorescent light ... But they definitely are not too dark. And all emerald cuts help at a slight angle .. Will appear to have a window. This stone is pretty near perfect. The cushion has the slightest window. I didn't want the pictures to look to good.. So that is why I took them in the worst lighting environment"

_22405.jpg

_22406.jpg

_22407.jpg

_22408.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
The colour on both is a beautiful, rich blue. The cut on both unfortunately, leaves a lot to be desired. Personally it would drive me crazy to know that it's 85% of it's beauty is trapped inside due to the cuts.

But what do you think? Would you be happy with this?

Compare them with the one below that Chrono picked before that I've made a bit bigger. The colour is not quite the same, but close.

One alternative depends on the size and price. You could get the dimensions and ask Jerry Newman of Gemart Services if there is enough depth for him to work his magic. Jerry is a cutter who has given many gems on PS a "makeover" by recutting the pavilion only and thus leaving the face up size/dimensions pretty much the same. Cost is probably around the $200 mark.

The one scenario where people hesitate with a recut is where the stone juuuust sneaks over a carat milestone - i.e. 2.03 or 3.02 because the gem cost goes up exponentially at those milestones and a recut will cost a little weight and therefore one loses the price advantage but gains a precision cut gem. One might argue that it could still sell for the same price since it's a far more beautiful gem after the recut.

You can use the Search facility to find recut samples here.

Edited for clarity

sapphire-29651.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I may have missed it but what if you tell us your budget we may be able to make some suggestions.

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Starzin,
Thank you for your responses, I thought the responses would be that the stones are too dark so I am surprised as for the cuts I mentioned that as well and will ask for the stats to inquire about the possibility of a recut. I have been trying to stay at 4k but pricing for these have been all over the map.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Well... as they are, yes they are too dark. You would be lucky to see those flashes of lovely colour on a regular basis in either of those stones.

If you enquire after recutting, ask the vendor for shots of the stones table down as well, i.e. upside down. This will help Jerry evaluate them along with the dimensions. He'll tell you if he thinks it is possible to improve them and the vendor won't mind if it helps sell the stone.

Yes, I can understand that it becomes a bit of a roller coaster ride price wise.

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Starzin,
I sent the email over to Ryan and meanwhile Roger is sending me both the unheated cushion and oval. They should be here Thursday. Ryan's stones are both heated (GIA) and the ones from Roger are unheated and precision cut.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results