shape
carat
color
clarity

Suggestions for designing an SoC mabe ring?

cyndayco

Rough_Rock
After weeks of pouring over your accounts of the weekend Ruckus and looking at your photos of the SoC pearls, I could stand it no longer.

First, I asked Douglas about his mabe necklace––SOLD...to someone else. (It was far above my pay grade anyway.) Then I browsed through Pure Pearls but was thwarted by a bug on their site; the sale price wouldn't register at the checkout.

So I did the next best thing, I ordered a mabe from The Perlas Shop. Here are the screengrabs from the site. I should have it soon, I hope.

At 15 x 19mm, I'm thinking a modern minimalist setting in rose gold. But silver with rhodium plate would make the colors pop. What do you think? I'm open to suggestions on both the metal and the design.

soc1.png

soc2.png

_413.png

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'm thinking keep it very simple. A straightforward rub over bezel on a simple substantial shank so the pearl speaks for itself rather than something with diamonds or coloured stones competing for attention.
But then I always like simple designs
As to the metal, I think no decisions until you can try them against the pearl itself. In any case there are lots of different shades of rose gold from barely pink to deep pinky red. (and if budget is tight consider a thick rose gold plate over silver (vermeil))
A local silver and goldsmith will be able to make this for you - probably cheaper than a bought setting which might not fit that irregular mabe anyway

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I purchased this SoC mabe from Agustus-Collection/Eastern Trade Wind, originally intended as a pendent drop for my interchangeable pendant project, however, physically, it is too small and insignificant when placed against my chunky neck.

Hence I am going to have it set as a ring instead, a simple chunky bezel setting, in WG or Argentium Silver, with at least 1mm around the pearl itself to do the mabe justice:

18_1.jpg

DK :))

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
You will want to see it in person before planning a design, as it may be too large when you see it in person. I got two at the ruckus and only one could possibly be made into a ring.

douglasmabe1.jpg

douglasmabe2.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
One other comment. You may want to hold off on a ring. You will be so mesmerized when you look at this mabe` it may cause a car wreck if worn while driving. I was looking at mine and just a slight shift makes the whole thing change. I can just imagine what it would do if worn everyday on the hand, you'll never get anything done. These beauties are trouble.....

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
I am so glad others have bought Douglas' mabes because I bought four from last year's harvest and simply haven't been able to figure out how to set them! I contacted a couple of jewelers and the first no longer did what I wanted (Pattye's design) and the other was physically afraid to work with the delicate edges of the mabe and pretty much said no thank you to setting them. So I wait with bated breath to see what others will come up with!

I am thrilled Douglas sold his very special and unique piece -- I hope it's to one of "us" so we can remain in contact with it and view neck shots.

My quartet, attentively and patiently chosen by Douglas:

mabe_set_1.jpg

mabe_set_2.jpg

mabe_set_3.jpg

mabe_trio_1.jpg

cyndayco

Rough_Rock
Four women in search of a setting. That is so funny.

So dk168, it was you that beat me to Sven's stash. Good buy!

Pearlescence and Nacrelover, thanks for the advice, as well as the safety warning.

Thankfully, one of the perks of living in the Third World is that labor is quite affordable. Take my DH, who drives me to work every day :D , and local jewellers who still do granulation. Here is a sample of the ornamentation these craftsmen still create.

So bsomio, if you don't mind sending them over to my side of the world, we can set your mabes Pattye-style.

img_5395.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Wait, are you serious? Send them to you?!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful mabes ladies! Erm, what is Pattye style?

Cyndayco: that's a gorgeous pair of earrings n very nice workmanship! Can I look you up if I ever visit Manila again?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
This is Patty's style

dscf9148.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
NacreLover -- Thanks! I was just about to search for that picture!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Oh nice! I like Pattye style too. :) thanks NL!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Bsomlo, I had to search my ruckus photos for it. I took many of Pattye's pretty things. Druzydesigns did the work I think.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
I contacted them last summer and they no longer do granulation work...

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I won the lottery, I'll have mine set in a diamond halo in white gold, like this gorgeous ring with an Abalone pearl by Daniel Moesker:

552640_287232101380929_1455611705_n.jpg

DK :))

cyndayco

Rough_Rock
bsomlo|1408894891|3738520 said:
Wait, are you serious? Send them to you?!

Yeah, bsomio, send your entire collection. :pray:

icy_jade|1408895607|3738525 said:
Cyndayco: that's a gorgeous pair of earrings n very nice workmanship! Can I look you up if I ever visit Manila again?

Of course, icy_jade. But why "ever"? You're just a few hours away.

dk168|1408904029|3738578 said:
If I won the lottery, I'll have mine set in a diamond halo in white gold, like this gorgeous ring with an Abalone pearl by Daniel Moesker

Wow, dk168, that ring would need its own security detail.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Used to travel around the region for work. But with a newborn am hoping that my travel frequency is reduced.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I thought as soon as I saw the 'Pattye style" that it was Drusy Design's work. Really lovely. If you want that sort of work you might send a photo to Sven in Bali (agusta antiques) He works with Goldsmiths and that granulation work is a signature Bali style.

Those SC Mabe pearls have the most, most, most amazing colours. I've been watching them on Svens store and the SC store with my finger hovering over the left click/buy. So tempting ...

Daniel M does beautiful designs... sigh..

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
cyndaco - Your SOC mabe is gorgeous! I agree with NacreLover - a ring could be dangerous!!! I think a simple setting would be best & I'd wait untli you see the pearl and then decide on the gold color. I look forward to seeing how this progresses!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I have two mabe rings in 14k gold with white pearls installed in them. I took my round SOC and placed it inside the back of the gallery and it fit. I took some needle nosed plyers and bent the prongs back and installed the SOC. I have had it on all day today.

All I can say is WOW! Yes, I drove the car and I live on top of a mountain with a narrow curvy road. The ring changed colors all the way down the road and I had to make myself stop looking at it. The style of the ring is an older style so It's no beauty but I did love wearing the ring in white, so now I really like it. I will keep it set like this and enjoy it for free until I get my other projects done, like the pendant.

juliebeth

Shiny_Rock
we need photos IMMEDIATELY, NL!

mapo

Shiny_Rock
juliebeth|1409003393|3739166 said:
we need photos IMMEDIATELY, NL!
+1

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
The prongs are under the gallery of the ring. I will have to have my jeweler adjust the top swirls.

maberingone.jpg

maberingtwo.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I bought loose pearls at the ruckus which Hisano was working on. They are on the way back to me hopefully today. (4 pendants) Pearl envelope is empty again for a while so I am glad this mabe fits. I have the big one to spend $$$ next.

juliebeth

Shiny_Rock
GREAT JOB! that setting really suits the mystery and purple depth of the pearl, i love it!

Kay

Ideal_Rock
juliebeth|1409009804|3739239 said:
GREAT JOB! that setting really suits the mystery and purple depth of the pearl, i love it!

I agree. Great "free" setting job, NL. Can't wait to see your new pendants!

cyndayco

Rough_Rock
This is turning out to be a very interesting thread for settings. Love it! Keep it coming, ladies.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
NL :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: love it especially you already had a great setting.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
NacreLover - Beautiful pearl and such a feminine design! Can't wait to see your pendants too!

cyndayco

Rough_Rock
It's here!

soc.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results