shape
carat
color
clarity

Favorite shampoo/conditioner for colored hair?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I've been better about having my hair colored on a regular basis (I would go about 4 times a year, but now I'm dying it at home and on a schedule)...the grays are popping out around the hair that frames my face and I can't get away with skipping this part of my routine anymore!

What are a couple of your favorite shampoo/conditioners for colored hair that you are pretty sure help make the color last longer?

I was using some from Sephora or the salon before and paying $$, but recently switched to Herbal Essenses, etc. for $2.50 a bottle (on sale)! :)) Am wondering if there is much of a difference.

Experiences?

Thanks!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I color my hair at home once a month, and after a year of doing it, it started to dry out. Even the "color stay" stuff wasn't working. Dry hair's a "dye job" giveaway! :oops:

I use this stuff now, and it makes my hair look young and glossy. Even the salon stylist who cuts my hair is amazed when I tell her it's colored at home.

http://www.amazon.com/Organix-Moroccan-Argan-Shampoo-Conditioner/dp/B0094WOKY2

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi MC, I've been using Wen conditioning shampoo and Nexus Humectress conditioner for the past few years. On Saturday or Sunday I will leave the humectress on my hair for a few hours with shower cap and wool cap over the shower cap to keep the heat in. It has helped so much. I have thin fine hair and it was breaking and looking dried out from coloring. I really like the Wen but find it kind of expensive.
I can't tell you how many contioners I tried before I found something that really worked.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh that's an easy one! Pureology's Nanoworks. It seems expensive, but it's very concentrated so you just use a tiny amount and add water. It REALLY improves your hair condition.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I dye mine red, so I am very particular. Wen and Pureology DESTROYED my color instantly. I will never put that in my hair again. I use a pureology leave in and that's as close to that brand as Ill ever get. But wen will never enter my house again and any salon that uses Pureology I immediately vacate.

I rotate Loreal Serie Experte Vitamino Color (the opaque Pink bottle) shampoo and conditioner, with Loreal Mythic Oil shampoo and conditioner, Bumble and Bumble gentle shampoo and Davines Melu conditioner, and Acure Moroccan argan oil + argan stem cell triple moisture repairing shampoo and conditioner (orange and white bottles). When my hair is fresh I use the Vitamino the first few washes (I usually wash every other day. Then after the first 4 washes, I start the rotation. I use either Davines Alchemic copper conditioner or Ted Gibson copper conditioner after the first week mostly in the root area first then work through the ends to refresh, then usually that's enough. I do my roots every 3ish weeks now, I used to do it every other week but scheduling didn't work for that anymore.

I don't really think this sulfate nonsense is that big of an ordeal for color. It's marketing. My hair actually is in better shape WITH sulfates than without. Using less silicones makes a bigger difference, so no serums.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
iLander|1408725991|3737564 said:
I color my hair at home once a month, and after a year of doing it, it started to dry out. Even the "color stay" stuff wasn't working. Dry hair's a "dye job" giveaway! :oops:

I use this stuff now, and it makes my hair look young and glossy. Even the salon stylist who cuts my hair is amazed when I tell her it's colored at home.

http://www.amazon.com/Organix-Moroccan-Argan-Shampoo-Conditioner/dp/B0094WOKY2

Oooh, thanks...I actually do have an almost empty bottle of this conditioner in my shower, but haven't been dying my hair long enough to know if it has helped. I guess I'll replace it when it runs out.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I think I'll try rotating around thru them so my hair gets a bit of everything.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Evo Fabuloso is a great color conditioner that keeps your coloring looking fresh. :wink2:

http://evohair.com/products/fabuloso

I use the purple red and found it for $18 on Amazon, as opposed to the $36 my salon charges me. It has dye in it, so it will stain your hands while in the shower, but will be gone by the time you rinse. I love it!

Kelinas

Shiny_Rock
I agree with Ame- Wen completely destroyed my hair. I had so much hair loss, I started getting depressed.

I don't shampoo.
I cowash with As I Am and its done a superb job at maintaining color, which I need with red hair.
(Odd fact I wish I knew before going red:
Red is the fastest color to fade out, yet impossible to re-dye to a different color short of bleaching out white. I hit it with light blond tho change the color, and my hair laughed at me.)

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aveda has a nice range of products for colored hair that I like :)

hair guru

Rough_Rock
Trade
L'anza Color Care shampoo and conditioner is great. And they have a trauma treatment if your hair is lacking moisture or a bit over processed. I have a hair salon and rotate between that and ColorProof. (I'm always changing up my color) ColorProof also has a masque that I use one or two times a month. I recommend to all my clients to use something that is Sulfate free. Less fadage will occur. So anything on the ingredients like sodium laureth sulfate is a no no. Its also a good idea if you can use a dry shampoo to prolong the actual shower shampoo and restyling. There are some good ones that are a fine aerosol spray. I like "Dirty Secret" from Rockaholic.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I better make a list. I went red last month and it's faded now to a barely there strawberry blonde already. I've done red at home and it's never lasted so thought going salon would work. Sadly no.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just got my hair colored for the first time, and I ended up purchasing the shampoo the stylist at the salon had used. It's All Nutrient. http://www.allnutrient.com/all-nutrient-shampoo/ I like it so far, and it smells really nice (like raspberries). I'm not sure what I'll do when this bottle runs out. I want the color to last, but I don't want to be tied to buying only this brand at the salon. I've heard that store-bought shampoos strips the color away quickly though.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
hair guru|1408911016|3738612 said:
L'anza Color Care shampoo and conditioner is great. And they have a trauma treatment if your hair is lacking moisture or a bit over processed. I have a hair salon and rotate between that and ColorProof. (I'm always changing up my color) ColorProof also has a masque that I use one or two times a month. I recommend to all my clients to use something that is Sulfate free. Less fadage will occur. So anything on the ingredients like sodium laureth sulfate is a no no. Its also a good idea if you can use a dry shampoo to prolong the actual shower shampoo and restyling. There are some good ones that are a fine aerosol spray. I like "Dirty Secret" from Rockaholic.
I actually get MORE fadage from sulfate free products. They have to replace it with something, and often the "something" is worse than the sulfate.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
packrat|1408912013|3738618 said:
I better make a list. I went red last month and it's faded now to a barely there strawberry blonde already. I've done red at home and it's never lasted so thought going salon would work. Sadly no.

Yeah, I'm also having to make a list! lol Ideally, I'd have four sets of shampoo/conditioner to rotate through but that would be an insane amount of bottles in my shower (plus a lot of $$$)...so I'm still figuring out which to try next after I dye my hair the first week of Sept.

Red dye also doesn't work on me. The only "red" that kind of holds is auburn hair shades but I've come to the conclusion that I need more of a cooler tone on my hair so I've had to adjust to more ash tones.

ming

Shiny_Rock
I have been having a lot of success with Aquage for my blue-black color.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results