shape
carat
color
clarity

BTDT moms- Do I need a double stroller?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Okay, baby #2 will be here in February. B will be exactly 2 1/2 at that time. We have a Baby Trend Expedition (single jogger) system that we used with B. I was thinking about getting the Baby Trend Sit N Go, since it is relatively compact and works with our infant carrier. But I've read that the front seat is pretty small and there's also a 40lb weight limit. B is already 33lbs so I'm not sure how long it will take him to hit 40.

B walks most of the time, but if we are out shopping or something I'd like for him to have an option of sitting down. If he's 2.5 when the baby is born, I'm guessing he will need a stroller option for another year or so?

I've been looking at options, and I've come up with this list. I'm sure there are more, though:

1) Break down and buy a double stroller. I love the Citi Mini double but it doesn't work with a Baby Trend car seat (there is no adapter listed for it). Plus, It's around $300-400, plus, if there were an adapter, that would be an additional $100.

2) Get the Sit N Go and hope B loses interest in using a stroller by the time he grows out of it. I've seen fairly new ones on CL for around $70, so that makes me happy.

3) Try to find a glider/skateboard attachment that will work with our stoller. B would love this, but it doesn't solve the "sitting down" issue.

4) Option #3 plus a baby carrier. That way, if B needed to sit down or nap, I could just put the baby in the carrier. We have a Baby Bjorn (I know, I know) and I hate it. B got so heavy, so fast, that it was soooo uncomfortable. So I would need suggestions.

Anything else?

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I'm on the fence about double strollers. Some of my friends with 2 kids said a double stroller was a must have. Some of my friends said it wasn't. I ended up getting one because I tend to be in the "more is more" category when it comes to baby stuff.

We have a City Mini Double (I never bought the car seat attachment, I just used a belly bar instead). I think I used it twice in the first 5 months of having two kids. I mostly wore the infant--we have an Ergo that I really like. And our toddler likes walking, but we tend to do a lot of things on the weekends and she can get tired.

Now that our infant is bigger, I'm using the double stroller more. I no longer use the car seat when we're out and she likes to be next to her sister and look around when we walk. In fact, she likes it more than when I wear her, hence the switch. So I honestly could have held off awhile on purchasing.

So I tend to tell people to hold off until after the baby since you may find you don't need it. And if you do, it's something you can get pretty quickly.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, NEL. Is it true that you can use the stroller for a newborn without a carrier? Someone said that on a site I was reading but it seems like it wouldn't work.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't. The lowest setting for the shoulder straps are still too high for a newborn. Also, the straps don't tighten enough for a very small baby to be secured. Even at 6 months, the straps are a bit loose on Cora.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My kids were born 22.5 months apart, and I never got a double. We've managed fine with just the one. I'm all about simplifying things and saving money.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I purchased a City Mini Double already ( during a really good sale at AlbeeBaby). My kids will be 25 months apart (G-d willing!), and my son LOVES riding in the stroller, so I think it will be worth it for us. But was I not thinking right when I thought I would be able to put the newborn in the stroller from the get go? I could have sworn I read that somewhere!!! Ugh!! The one thing I want to do after I deliver is keep going for our daily walks!!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Dani, earlier this summer we went to this Thomas the Train event for my toddler. I brought the double stroller just in case and ended up using it because wearing the infant made us both hot (and me tired). Anyway, I strapped her in as tight as I could and then put her in a full recline so she was lying down. That actually worked pretty well as a temporary solution. So I'd say in a pinch it could work, but if you think you want to take walks, the car seat attachment is best. My friend walks 2 miles/day--she put her toddler in a jogger and wore her infant until 4 months (before he started getting too big to wear that long comfortably).

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Dani- I've seen pics of newborns in there and most people are using a positioner thingy to help.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
I hear you AMC! I'm struggling with this decision too. DD will only be 19 months old so it's probably more likely that we should get the double stroller but I just don't want to pay for one.

If money were not an issue (for me), I would get the Baby Jogger City Select and call it a day. I think it's the best double out there. I like that you can use it as a single if you want to wear the infant. I love that the kids are not as smooshed as other tandem strollers. I love the huge storage bin and the big wheels. But it costs so much, especially with the extra seat, car seat adapter, etc. The more I think of it, the less I want to deal with the expense or hassle of a double stroller.

I don't think wearing him and pushing DD in stroller will work for us 100% of the time. I like to leave a sleeping baby in his car seat. DD loved being worn but neither of us loved doing it all day. After an hour or so she would start pushing away from me. And there were times when she would get cranky and then want to nurse but then would pull off and scream over and over. If I just put her in the stroller she would calm down and usually fall asleep. Having easy access to my breasts was not always a good thing for us.

If you do go the carrier route (and I think it would be worth it to get one anyway). I liked the ergo a lot! We didn't get one until after the newborn stage so I can't comment on using one with the infant insert, but wow I can still carry DD for very long periods with no back ache or anything. We also used the Moby a lot in the beginning. I loved the adjust-ability and it was comfortable for me and baby, but it is a pain to wrap when you are out and about.

I've nixed the idea of getting a sit and stand because of the small plastic tires, the awkwardness of turning it (it has a wide handle) and because I just don't like how they look (shallow, I know!).

As for the scooter board idea, DD is not ready to stand on one with no seat. So I just found and ordered this:
http://www.amazon.com/Englacha-2-In-1-Junior-Rider-Black/dp/B001AQLGO2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1408502891&sr=8-3&keywords=englacha

It's a scooter board that has a seat! The reviews are generally good but it is some weird company from Taiwan.

From what I read:
Pros:
-seat with seatbelt (DD is not big enough to be trusted to balance or stay on some of the other scooter seats I've seen)
-Seat with a back (it's kind of low but other scooter seats don't have any back
-Supposedly compatible with a lot of strollers
-inexpensive
-I think it's kinda cute and I think DD will think it's a fun ride.
-I guess the wheels are pretty smooth
-Once installed, you can pop it off and on easily, I guess

Cons:
-It's just a seat belt, not a harness so I don't know how well it would keep DD in if she is fighting.
-The seat is hard so may not be comfy for long periods (there is a more expensive version of the same product with a softer seat but it didn't sound that much softer to warrant the extra cost)
-Since it is supposed to be universal, some complaints of rickity attachment to some strollers.
-Some complaints of people kicking the board
-Some complaints of having to reach way over child to reach the stroller handle

So I'm not sure if it will work for us. It has some fantastic reviews and then some horrible reviews. It comes tomorrow so I'll let you know if we like it!

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Aw man! This thing took me like an hour to put together! But it works perfectly with my stroller! I do kick the wheels a little bit, but it's with the bottom of my flip flops on the wheels, no stubbed toes.

So now just have to see if it also works for DH and if DD likes it when she gets up from her nap!

_21513.jpg

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Okay I think I'm sold. We went for a walk and it seemed to work fine! It's not 100% comfortable to push. I'm definitely aware that it's there and walk a little differently. I tend to want to walk to the side of it. But it's not super heavy or awkward to push, or horribly uncomfortable either. DD seemed to like it. She was very content on it. I just wish she had some type of tray or something. Going to brainstorm on that...

_21515.jpg

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Mia! I'm definitely adding that to the list of possibilities.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
I thought about a buggy board - in the end I have bought the second seat for our existing stroller (BJCS) because I wanted the option and when I tested my friend's stroller with a buggy board I had the issue that Mia described - kicking the wheels and having to walk to the side.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
We used a double stroller (side-by-side) and then switched to a sit and stand as our first got a little older. One thing to keep in mind is sun/shade. A walk is no fun for a little one if they have no shade. Does the Bumbleride offer no shade for the older child? If not, that would be a deal-breaker for me.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
So, DH and I went to BRU and looked at strollers. I think he just wants to go with the Baby Trend sit n stand. He thinks it will be easier since it's compatible with what we already have. I was sold on the City Mini double, but DH wants something we can use the infant carrier with without buying expensive add-ons.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
That's really good point momhappy I didn't even think about a shade! I do think I can put a blanket across the stroller handle to provide some shade if I had to, since it's above her head. I will have to try that out! We are also pretty lucky that DD is obsessed with wearing hats and sunglasses in the sun.

I think for now we will give it a try. DH and I talked a lot about it and we have agreed that it isn't the perfect solution, there are a few drawbacks for sure, but double strollers also come with their own drawbacks (take up more space, not as easy handling, cost). We decided to give it a try and if it doesn't work out, get a double stroller.

MuffDog

Shiny_Rock
amc80|1408897296|3738543 said:
So, DH and I went to BRU and looked at strollers. I think he just wants to go with the Baby Trend sit n stand. He thinks it will be easier since it's compatible with what we already have. I was sold on the City Mini double, but DH wants something we can use the infant carrier with without buying expensive add-ons.

amc80- I'm a bit of a hardas* this way but I don't put a lot of stock into what my DH wants when it comes to first year baby gear. He isn't going to be the one pushing it!

Now...if this is the one you want :) that is a different story!!

My friend has the city mini double or whatever and it is HEAVY to push with two kids! Maybe that will be the case with any stroller with two children in it, but jeez...it was actually hard to push over some slight curbs etc.

My two cents is to wait until the baby is here. See how B does with the skateboard thingy and if you find that you come across a lot of situations where things aren't working, they get something else.

I didn't notice - but do you have a second stroller already (i.e. an umbrella stroller)? If so, I see a lot of parents around here pushing two (i.e. one with mom and one with dad). Wouldn't work if you take a long mat leave, but if you are only dealing with two kids primarily on weekends, maybe that is an option?

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Muff, I also think the City Mini Baby Jogger Double is a bit heavy. I thought it was just par for the course now that there are two kiddos. But I was watching a mom this weekend who had a Bumbleride Double and it didn't seem heavy to push for her at all. And I noticed she was easily getting things in/out of her basket (the basket on the City Mini Double is virtually useless). If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably go for the Bumbleride Double, even if it is less compact than the CMBJD. I don't hate the CMBJD, but I like my Bumbleride Indie (single) much more.

MrsDarcy

Rough_Rock
My kids are 22 months apart and I used a double stroller. If I had it to do over again, I would still get the double stroller, but I did learn a few things. I had several - a sit and stand, a chicco together, a maclaren twin techno and a BOB revolution. The only one worth having was the BOB. When my youngest was tiny, I used a sling/chest carrier, but once he could support himself I only used the BOB. I ended up selling the other three!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
The double stroller I had was awesome and made getting around a breeze. It was a peg perego and was kind of pricey at the time, however, it was super easy to turn and also collapsible using one hand (which was a must for me in case I was hold one of my kids while fiddling w/stroller).

If you're on the fence, what about getting a higher end model at a consignment shop?

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Thought I'd come back and update my thoughts now that I actually HAVE two kids, haha.

My girls are 3.5 months and 2y9m. #1 is a bit unco (she's tall and gangly with spaghetti legs lol) and #2 is a little fat pudding (in the best possible way haha)!

I have used:
- #1 in lightweight stroller and #2 in carrier
- BJCS as a double with #2 at the front and #1 at the back closest to me
- BJCS as a single with #1 in the stroller and #2 riding on a buggy board

All those options have their place. In the early days I used the first configuration the most as the baby slept well in the carrier and it just made getting out of the house easier. I haven't used it as much recently but will return to it from time to time - certainly will use it more again once #2 is big enough to face forward in the carrier (she will be ready soon if not already).

The second option is fine BUT with the following issues:
- the BJCS as a double is a BEAST - very very long and weighs 15kg (>30lb) with no kids in it. The other issue at the moment is weight distribution - because I want #2 to face me or to be in the capsule I put her up the top, closest to me, which means that #1, who is obviously much much heavier, sits right at the front and it makes the stroller feel even heavier. Getting it up kerbs is do-able but a challenge. However - #1 gets a real kick out of it!

The third option is great but #1 gets tired standing up for TOO long so we only use it for quick trips to playgroup or the park or out at the shops. Not one for longer walks, not yet anyway. I bought the Lascal Mini universal buggy board rather than the Bumprider or Baby Jogger glider board because I wanted the shortest board possible. With the Lascal Mini, and with the BJCS handle fully extended, my very tall #1 fits under the handlebar and I am able to walk pretty much normally without kicking the board or having to walk to the side.

janeclay

Rough_Rock
I have my uppababy double stroller for my baby with different ages, whose car seat is convertible type and acceptable for aged baby, and I can regarded it as the best inline double stroller. Of course there are many functional types such as particularly for terrains, outside or in budget in double stroller review, where is helpful for you.

in-the-air

Rough_Rock
Premium
I dont think it's a must.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results