shape
carat
color
clarity

is this an AQUA/TOURM or TOPAZ ?

needfullshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Hello again all, Requiring your knowledge again regarding another coloured stone. Quick breakdown for you, I purchased a ring for its setting not for the stone. The stone was described as Topaz which I thought was wrong, to me it looked like an Aqua. As I don't believe there to be enough value to have it appraised I thought I would ask every ones opinions again. This is not a quest for value or price as I bought it for the setting, more of a nudge in one direction is what I am after. All opinions appreciated, even those less flattering.

img_5384.jpg

img_5385.jpg

img_0929.jpg

img_0930.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Topaz - don't think so - Aqua - who would cut that ... tourmaline or apatite?

A refractometer would help - do you have a somebody around which could help you.

needfullshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Aqua- who would cut that :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I don't even think you could class it as Native cut, looks more like a lumberjack has had a go at it with his axe. It is also full of inclusions as you can see from the pictures, not little ones either. Sadly I don't have anyone to help with a refractometer Marlow, looks like I am going to have to invest in some tools. Can you point me in the direction of an online seller in Europe or uk that you have used/trust please ? What else do I need to buy ? Thx in advance,

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
I'd guess Tourmaline or Beryl/Emerald.

needfullshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Thx for the link Marlow, can you give me an idea of what is a " good " price for the polariscope & dichroscope please ? I honestly don't have a clue what these things cost, the refractometer you use is the same 1 that I have seen on some tutorial videos which helps. Also do you suggest I buy the refractometer from that vendor in the link ? Thx Marlow, your efforts are appreciated.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1408740531|3737733 said:
I think nobody will cut such an included Aqua... :D

Well, sometimes they make them into cabochons.

I've seen highly included cut aquas for sale.

aqua_included.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
TL!!!! :D :D :D

He is an artist!! An this stone is no aqua - it is a very large very bluish emerald :liar: :liar: - everybody knows it :read: !!!

---

I will send link for polariscope and dichroscope.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I've seen included ones too. What's the big deal. Jeez.

I'm not sure what the stone is. Have you cleaned the stone? I was just wondering if those were actually inclusions or if maybe the stone just needed cleaning.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I've seen included aqua sold for it's colour. OP,I don't think the cut of your unknown gem is as bad as you say.

Anyhow, please do post the results when you get them -- we'd all be interested to know.

needfullshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Morning all & thx for your input. Marlow, I have sent them an e-mail and am waiting for a response. Its a bank holiday weekend here so I probably wont get it sorted till early next week, many thx for the links. Its clearly time to stop being lazy, I should have bought these items a long time ago :doh: Hi loverskites & innerkitten, The stone does need a clean but it is definitely full of inclusions, 1 of them is even a yellow colour feather. As for the cut, I will take more pics for you when I remove the stone from its setting, you can only see the top cut, wait till you see the bottom half :shock: . Thx again, I will keep you updated Marlow.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd put money on that being a Mozambique Tourmaline. I've seen so many like that that if I'm wrong I will eat my laptop! :dance: Will be interested to find out.

If you take it to a jeweller who can test the RI it'll be an easy identification.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
I hope ( and believe) it is an tourmaline - but would be interesting to see you eating your laptop :D

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
The color makes it look like a twin of my Mozambique Tourmaline. So, I vote that.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My guess is tourmaline as well but I wouldn't mind a front row seat to see LD attempt to eat her laptop too. :tongue:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My guess is apatite but I am just guessing.

needfullshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Hi all, LD that's a very confident statement. Funny though :lol: Marlow, I didn't get a reply from that vendor so I went ahead & ordered a refractometer, I don't know exactly how long till it arrives but when it does I will open a new thread. The other items I need I will pick up when I can. Thx for your help so far, more will be needed :read: :confused: :read: :confused: :read: :wall:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
No problem!!

Open a new thread and we will show how easy it is to work with a refractometer!!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
for your info when you get your instruments
apatite specific gravity 3.16–3.22, double refractive, Refractive index 1.634–1.638
tourmaline Specific gravity 3.06 (+.20 -.06) Double refractive Refractive index =1.635–1.675, nε=1.610–1.650

so unless you measure the specific gravity or the bifringence, won't be able to tell them apart but maybe someone else has suggestions

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
No, sorry.

You will seperate it only with the refractometer. In front of the instrument you see the pol-filter - put it on the lens.

If you measure a tourmaline you will see the line jump - srew the filter and you see a difference ( 0,02 ) sounds small but you see it clearly - the filter show you the ordinary and extraordinary ray.

Apatite is not so strong ( max. 0,013 )

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never used a refractometer so I would have no clue. I'll let the experts help with the experiments!

needfullshinythings

Shiny_Rock
lol Gypsy, that makes 2 of us !!! I do know how to check the specific gravity of a stone but have yet to put this into practice, I actually remember doing this in a science class back in the day ( many moons ago ) Time to go back to school. The vendor has mailed the meter so shouldn't be too long in arriving, feel free to join in Gypsy when I open the new thread. Marlow, stop posting pics of stunning stones, my envy meter is about to explode :drool:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
O.K.

It is not necessary to check the specific gravity here. Problem is that you need a good scale and a kit for it and a lot of experience in smaller stones ( a 0,4 ct sapphire ( SG 4,0) weight 0,1 ct in water - if your scale shows 0,11 ct the S.G. will be 3,63!! You need a very good scale!!

S. G. could be interesting to measure the amount of member of the garnets group ( R.I. and S.G. ) - will post a link - or for gems with overlapping RI and same color.

Apatite and tourmaline is easy as I told you.

needfullshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Marlow,I had a mental spasm a couple of years ago when I submitted 2 rings for appraisal, the centre stones came back as identical weight yet were obviously a different size. It took me a while to figure out why because I didn't want to look stupid and ask :doh: I should have paid more attention in science instead of staring out the window at the football pitch. The Emerald was noticeably larger than the sapphire, lesson learnt. My introduction to S G.

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
So, what's the verdict? (in case someone doesn't come across the other thread)

needfullshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Morning Txgreeneyes, it is a Tourmaline !!! Looks like LD's money and laptop are safe. It took me a couple of attempts to get the reading but with Marlows guidance it was a relatively simple process. Same as most things we try for the 1st time, practice makes perfect. I am enjoying learning this a lot more than I expected, that 1st Eureka moment did feel good.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Any chance that stone is copper bearing?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Andelain|1409420218|3742016 said:
Any chance that stone is copper bearing?

Could be, but that doesn't mean much unless the stone is extremely neon.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results