shape
carat
color
clarity

How many years, average, do you use a computer?

How many years, average, do you use a computer?

Votes: 1 2.6%

Votes: 3 7.9%

Votes: 7 18.4%

Votes: 5 13.2%

Votes: 13 34.2%

• Total voters

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
By now most of us have owned a few computers.
Some keep a computer till it dies, or till software compatibility becomes an intolerable problem.
Others, rolling in dough, just go out and buy the latest and greatest faster computer even though the old one is perfectly functional.

On average how many years do you use a computer before getting a new one?

This poll is about your main home computer, not your secondary laptop.
If a laptop is your only computer then this poll is about that.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am late to computers but for the 2 I have had so far about 3 years per computer. They seem to get buggy after that. I had 2 Macbook Pros each for 3 years and now have a Macbook Air (since December 2013).

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1408654077|3737057 said:
By now most of us have owned a few computers.
Some keep a computer till it dies, or till software compatibility becomes an intolerable problem.
Others, rolling in dough, just go out and buy the latest and greatest faster computer even though the old one is perfectly functional.

On average how many years do you use a computer before getting a new one?

This poll is about your main home computer, not your secondary laptop.
If a laptop is your only computer then this poll is about that.

Before Macs, max 2 years... after getting my Mac = 6+ years and going strong! (see explanation on Mac vs. PC thread...)

Yes, Macs are expensive, but they last FOREVER -- just do the updates and BOOM! ..."new" computer. I have more than made my money back.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1408654486|3737063 said:
I am late to computers but for the 2 I have had so far about 3 years per computer. They seem to get buggy after that. I had 2 Macbook Pros each for 3 years and now have a Macbook Air (since December 2013).

Hi missy... what happened with your Macbook Pros? I've had mine for over 6 years now. :confused: Did you do all the software updates and iOS upgrades?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends. What would you consider the "computer"?

We build our own computers. Costs less for far better. One of the boxes we are using is about 10 rears old. CPU probably 7 years old, mother board probably 5 years, memory from 6 months to 5 years.

New parts as needed. Very rare to swap all.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1408655869|3737083 said:

Hi missy... what happened with your Macbook Pros? I've had mine for over 6 years now. :confused: Did you do all the software updates and iOS upgrades?

Hi msop, I think I have some anti computer field around me lol. I know mac computers are supposed to be bug proof and last for a much longer time but sadly not for me. We had the apple care package so always brought it in when there was an issue and for almost the first 3 years I had each macbook pro it was pretty good. But as soon as the apple care package expired the computers started having some major issues to the point that my dh felt I needed a new computer. We did bring it in even after the 3 year mark to get the genius bar to fix it but even after they did it wasn't the same and it was so sluggish and just not right. We did everything we could to try fixing them but it just didn't cooperate.

That's why I got the air because it has less moving parts so to speak and I hope my mac air lasts longer. However, within the first month of having the air the fan broke down (the only moving part LOL). I'm telling you I have some sort of anti technology aura around me or something haha. The apple people replaced it the same day but still. Shakes my faith a bit.

Still love my mac computer though. And my dh has the retina display laptop and a desktop too in his home office. At work he has a PC but he can use the Apple desktop at home for work. Not sure how he did that but the setup works well for him.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1408657254|3737093 said:

Hi msop, I think I have some anti computer field around me lol. I know mac computers are supposed to be bug proof and last for a much longer time but sadly not for me. We had the apple care package so always brought it in when there was an issue and for almost the first 3 years I had each macbook pro it was pretty good. But as soon as the apple care package expired the computers started having some major issues to the point that my dh felt I needed a new computer. We did bring it in even after the 3 year mark to get the genius bar to fix it but even after they did it wasn't the same and it was so sluggish and just not right. We did everything we could to try fixing them but it just didn't cooperate.

That's why I got the air because it has less moving parts so to speak and I hope my mac air lasts longer. However, within the first month of having the air the fan broke down (the only moving part LOL). I'm telling you I have some sort of anti technology aura around me or something haha. The apple people replaced it the same day but still. Shakes my faith a bit.

Still love my mac computer though. And my dh has the retina display laptop and a desktop too in his home office. At work he has a PC but he can use the Apple desktop at home for work. Not sure how he did that but the setup works well for him.

OH NOOOOOO!!! ANTI-COMPUTER FORCE FIELD & ANTI-TECHNOLOGY AURA STAY AWAY FROM MEEEE!!!! :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :bigsmile: :lol:

Seriously though, one month and the fan crapped out?? UGH! That would tick me off!! :angryfire: :angryfire:

I'm sorry you've had so much trouble with your Macbooks... :| hopefully the Air will be better. :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1408658342|3737102 said:
missy|1408657254|3737093 said:

OH NOOOOOO!!! ANTI-COMPUTER FORCE FIELD & ANTI-TECHNOLOGY AURA STAY AWAY FROM MEEEE!!!! :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :bigsmile: :lol:

Seriously though, one month and the fan crapped out?? UGH! That would tick me off!! :angryfire: :angryfire:

I'm sorry you've had so much trouble with your Macbooks... :| hopefully the Air will be better. :))

Haha msop, do not worry. My anti computer/technology field only seems to affect me. My dh and friends have not caught it (yet Buahahaha). :Up_to_something:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
About 4 yrs.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I'm remembering correctly we replace the computer every 3 years.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
My previous laptops (pc) each lasted about 2 years before falling apart, literally. My first macbook pro is currently 3 1/2 years old and looks as nice as the day we brought it home :)

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Hard to say, but I use mine until they go belly up and die.
I'm the kind of person who likes to wait a couple of years before buying new technology - the bugs are worked out and the prices are lower.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Usually around every 5 years or so.

DK :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many many years; when it dies or has major software compatibility issues.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I usually get 4-5 years out of my computers. I'm about at the point where it's time to get something new. I kind of want to continue using mine until it wears out altogether, but I'll be on the safe side and get a new laptop within the next few months.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A laptop is my main home computer. I didn't see any need for a desktop any longer because I really don't sit at a desk to use it, ever. I change laptops about every 3 years.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use it until I can't. Literally. I have a 2009 macbook air. It is much slower than newer ones but it works. I have never felt the need for the newest technology.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
My Titanium PB died in like 2010 beyond resuscitation. That was like, the longest computer life ever. I bought it in 2001 right when it came out, and literally used it til it would no longer turn on. And really, Ithink it still powered on but the screen wouldn't anymore.

I have had a few machines that I used concurrently, though, and I have actually been planning to buy another Macbook Pro for like the last two years. My iMac from late 08 is still going strong, but I think Mavericks will be the last OS it can run. I think it's a little slow for what I need it for (graphics and the like) which is why I usually replace them. I was going to this year, and then I heard that Broadwell chips were about to come out, so now I am just waiting on the word on if that's for real or not before I buy one.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I read the next generation of MacBookPros will not have/need fans.

A perfectly silent computer will be groovy for recording audio. :dance:

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
I voted for 10 years, but the real answer is "until it's not useful anymore." I just dismantled and sold by PIII hardware from 2001 last summer. I am still running two home-built systems, both P4 Northwood socket 478 built in summer 2004. Both have 4 GB RAM and 512MB video cards. One has 30GHz CPU on an Intel PERLL mobo, and the other is 3.2GHz on ABIT IC7G Max II Advance mobo. The PERLL machine is running Windows 7 Home 32 bit. The Abit is running open SUSE Linux. Both are acceptable to me for Internet browsing and definitely for word processing, desktop publishing, etc. Those were two hawt machines back in summer 2004, though, and far more power than the average store bought machine.

I used to build a new rig every 2 years, sometimes more often. But I quit after 2004 because the power requirements became so "extreme" for the extreme machines, haha! I stalled around waiting for Haswell, and ended up buying two used Sandy Bridge HP Compaq Elite 8200 i5 machines instead. Then didn't build a Haswell. Maybe I'll build something next year. But the less interest I have in gaming, the less need for building a fast new rig, and the more interest I have in seeing what I can continue to do with the same old hardware. LOL

I bought used 2 year old laptops, an i3 and and i5. Saved a bunch of money there, too. :lol: I keep me and my parents in computers.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results