shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find 30th Birthday pearls in the UK

NexivRed

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone. I'm going to be turning 30 in January of next year, and after recently giving up on buying costume jewellery in favour for fine jewellery I decided I'd love to get a meaningful and commemorative piece with Christmas and Birthday money combined. Something really timeless and of great quality that I love to wear but can also pass down to my children etc.

I mentioned my idea to my mum, and that one thing I would LOVE to own is a real pearl necklace (I've enjoyed fake ones up until now). So she would like to go halves with my dad to purchase me my first string of pearls and I have begun the hunt! Read through a few threads on here and other sites and familiarised myself with a few terms such as Akoya, Mikimoto, Hanadama and Freshadama and different sizes, not to mention swooned over the pictures of everyone's pearls here :D Now I just need some good advice to find my own.

I would like ivory/cream coloured with warm overtones like rose or peach I'm very pale skinned and don't think stark white would look good against it, but I'd like to keep to the paler colours for my first one :) I think size wise I'd like 7" plus, ideally 8" plus but it depends on budget.
Speaking of budget it's hard to say how much. Probably £200 from my parents combined but I can probably add some of my other money I get from other people. Probably don't want to be going over £350 very much though, but I'll see if I can weasel a more accurate figure out of my mum :)

Thank you in advance!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given that you are in the $300 - $400 USD range, I'd suggest going with a high quality freshwater strand. Most people prefer either a classic 7.5-8mm size or larger unless you are very petite. Smaller pearls than that can look too much like a little girl's necklace. Maybe something like this:

http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-135-7465458460-mm-white-freshadama-freshwater-pearl-necklace.aspx

They ship internationally. With one strand I'd suggest going classic in colour. Unless you are a redhead, I wouldn't suggest cream coloured pearls. I'm really fair (Scottish skin) with dark hair and look best in rose overtones on white pearls. The silver overtones are a close 2nd. Most colourings look nice in white pearls, which is why they're a classic.

In that price range there are also nice longer strands which can be doubled. I'd suggest that as a start.

Edit: I'd also recommend going for the highest quality you can afford, as they will be rounder and more lustrous. It's why I linked you to the freshadama strand (highest quality freshwater that PP carries).

NexivRed

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the reply. That necklace was one of the ones I was looking at but I couldn't be sure if they shipped to the UK. I'm not petite, 5'6 and medium build (plus overweight!) I am technically a natural redhead although my hair is dark purple these days as it all went greyish :(

Do you think 16" is a good length to go for? I'd like to wear a single strand to begin with, fairly close to if not on top of my collar bone. Also, how would I go about buying some matching studs, as I'd read it's a good idea to get some at the same time as your necklace so the colours perfectly match. And if I wanted to own a pearl bracelet, would it also be wise to get that at the same time as well as a from me to me gift? :D

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are not petite, you might prefer an 18 inch length. I find that sits at the collar bone (16 is more of a chocker on me).

I have heard people say to match everything at the same time, but for whites I have personally had good luck buying the same type of pearls from the same company at different times and can't honestly see much difference between them. Plus because they are far enough away, subtle variations in shade are not noticeable (in whites). For fancy colours I'd say to match when you buy.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
You can also try this vendor. She is located in the uk so might be easier for shipping n returns. Maybe you can even visit the office?

http://www.pearlescence.co.uk

I'll go with fwp. Perhaps 18 inches at least. Size wise at least 8 mm upwards since you are not petite. Good luck with your shopping and have fun!

NexivRed

Shiny_Rock
Oh, nice. Cos my mum got me some lovely gold and pearl earrings for last birthday so i'll wear those :)

Confirmed the budget is £200 now (can add a little myself), however I've been told I'm being left some jewellery in my Grandmother's will and there could well be a pearl necklace. In which case I would love to choose a bracelet. I haven't researched bracelets at all yet though, so don't know what size to go for or whether you sacrifice lustre for size when on a budget, or anything about the type of clasps that come on them.

Do pearl bracelets hold up well to frequent use? I would love to see some wrist shots of beautiful bracelets!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The recommendation is to usually sacrifice size in favour of luster if you have to choose. Smaller, better quality pearls will look nicer than larger, lower quality ones.

Pearls are delicate, so a bracelet might not hold up to being an every day item to wear unless you are very gentle with what you do with your hands, and what you expose them to (think of how many times a day one would be exposed to hand soaps alone post loo visits).

NexivRed

Shiny_Rock
Okay at the moment I'm looking at these two necklaces, the PP one being the 18" AA grade necklace. How do the grades compare to each other in terms of grading. Is it universal or do individual vendors set their own standards?

http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-108-8460459460-mm-white-freshwater-pearl-necklace.aspx

http://www.pearlescence.co.uk/product_info.php/cPath/104_175/products_id/3848

With regards to a bracelet I'm a stay at home mum so could do a fair amount of babying. However I'd probably get them out for when actually going out rather than pottering about the house. The strand I'm looking at are these:

http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-460-8465459460-mm-pink-to-peach-freshadama-pearl-bracelet.aspx

I have to say the thought of having them is making my heart jump a little... I might have to get these somehow anyhow!

Thank you for all the advice so far. There's something about pearl jewellery that makes it so interesting to look at. I love the individuality of the baroque and soufflé pearls! Also the variety of colours. Neither of the necklaces I linked to allowed a choice for overtone of colour. Do you think that's a problem if I feel "white" pearls may not suit me? The pink/peach colours (like the bracelet) just have a little too much colour for me which is why I selected white. I'd prefer something in between though.

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sure that Wendy from Pearlescence will find suitable pearls to You. She is very nice and helpful lady. I have ordered from her and never disppointed.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If budget allows, it is worth getting AAA instead of AA+ from the likes of PP, Pearl of Joy and The Pearl Outlet, all three trusted vendors that I had purchased from in the past.

As for the size of the pearls, I am chunky myself with a short neck, and my workhorse strand is a 8-9mm TPO's Gem Fresh CFWPs.

DK :))

NexivRed

Shiny_Rock

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, however, I can only comment on vendors that I have dealings with in the past.

If I were in the market for another strand of CFWPs, I would buy from PP, POJ and TPO.

I imported from abroad many a times, knowing the transaction was one way, as it was not worth the hassle in trying to reclaim the custom charges and import duties.

If you would like a peace of mind knowing you can return the goods if they are not to your satisfaction for whatever reasons, then my advice would be to buy from a UK vendor rather than to import from abroad.

DK :))

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
NexivRed|1408887870|3738475 said:
Which would you personally choose between these two strands then?

18" length, 8.3mm - 8.7mm metallic white grade AAA Essence for £190
http://www.pearlescence.co.uk/mobile_product_info.php?cPath=175&products_id=3848

or 18" length, 8mm - 9mm white grade AAA freshwater pearls for £255
http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-108-8460459460-mm-white-freshwater-pearl-necklace.aspx

With that price difference you'd expect there to be a difference in quality?
I actually chose the Pearl Paradise AA+ quality 8-9 mm freshwater pearls for myself. You can ask for a particular overtone in the comments box and I chose silver overtones. My strand is lovely, and visibly better than the strand my jeweler brought in for me that cost over twice as much.

However, I live in the US. If I were living in the UK, I would definitely choose the Pearlescence strand. You skip the issues of shipping from overseas, it costs less, and you get the metallic luster. A no-brainer, in my book. :read:

You are really going to enjoy having a lovely pearl strand. Please send an inquiry to Wendy at Pearlescence and start the process of getting that beauty. Please come back with neck shots after you have it. :wavey: :appl:

NexivRed

Shiny_Rock
Wow, thank you so much everyone! Very excited to have made a decision and I will go ahead and email Wendy at Pearlecsense to place my order :D
Because of my colouring I choose to wear rose gold and ivory or peach tones in place of white, so would "rose" overtones be a good colour to suggest to her?

Will definitely be coming back with neck shots. Can't believed be I have to wait till January!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rose tones tend to suit fair skin best, with silver suiting those who tan easily, but honestly the effect is subtle enough that it's strictly an issue of preference. Once on, it's hard to tell them apart unless you have strands side by side.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
NexivRed - I think the metallic strand you selected will be gorgeous on you and I can't wait to see pictures! Congratulations!

NexivRed

Shiny_Rock
Okay so I've contacted Wendy and at a good time too, as she's off to Hong Kong next week and can source me the perfect pearls for my budget! Very excited.

We've discussed overtone and size, and she's mentioned I should have a think about the clasp. If I go for solid gold I'll be eating into the pearl budget and either silver or gold over silver would be cheaper. What would you do? I've made a vow to myself to only invest in fine jewellery from now on, so solid golds or platinum. But is it worth investing more of the budget into better pearls? My budget is only small anyway so I'm not going to be getting the best pearls available. However should I take the hit and get the cheapest clasp possible? I did originally want a 14k white gold one.

Halp! Not sure what to do.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
NexivRed - I understand your wanting to only buy fine jewelry but if it was me I'd get the best pearls I could with a less expensive clasp because you can always upgrade the clasp when your budget allows. Just my thoughts - good luck!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pkinnew|1409159579|3740203 said:
NexivRed - I understand your wanting to only buy fine jewelry but if it was me I'd get the best pearls I could with a less expensive clasp because you can always upgrade the clasp when your budget allows. Just my thoughts - good luck!
Agree on saving money on the clasp. I have a few strands with silver clasps and with my long hair, no one sees them anyway.

NexivRed

Shiny_Rock
I agree about upgrading the clasp as opposed to upgrading the pearls. I could add some of my own money, but then should that go on better pearls than the clasp?

The original necklace I was looking at was from their best range and £190 with a 14k white gold clasp, so how will the pearls be upgraded from their AAA Essence range do you think? They're supposed to be the best white freshwaters they offer.

I'm not sure if I should ask Wendy this. Do you think it seems rude at all? Obviously I trust her judgement. I just want to get the best I can afford as "upgrading" anything isn't something I was originally looking to do, at least not any time soon.

YC

Brilliant_Rock
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pearls-for-a-friend.201453/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pearls-for-a-friend.201453/[/URL]

Rexivred, looking at her site, looks like AAA essence is the best that is offered. If there are specific things about the pearls which are vital to you, eg roundness, presence of surface marks etc, then it is a good idea to communicate with her. Unfortunately, thereis no standardized grading of pearls between different vendors so one vendor may label the best pearls as AAA but another vendor may use another label.

I have bought metallic pearls from Wendy in the past. The ones I got were AAA drops though. I have bought metallic white fwp of different shape or grade from PP and POJ respectively and her pearls are, from my memory, impressive and I was very happy with those. The link to the pearls is at the top of the post. Sorry somehow my phone refuses to let me insert the link where I want. :)

NexivRed

Shiny_Rock
Well that's what I thought, they're already the best quality she offers. I know she could always find me "more round" and "more lustrous", but I imagine she could do that all the way through the hundreds and into the thousands of pounds.

I'm still not sure. I don't know how much of the £190 goes on the clasp. Say it was £25 more than a silver one. Will I be able to tell the difference between pearls that are £25 more expensive? I just want to make the right decision, a decision I will be happy with long term.

Btw, that strand is gorgeous! They just look so alive! I think the shape those pearls are is charming and I'd be elated to receive them :)

YC

Brilliant_Rock
Even within the same grade of pearls, there can be slight difference in the quality of the pearls so ask Wendy to help you find the "best" strand.
I agree with pkinnew and baby monster's suggestion of choosing a less pricey ( but still reliable) clasp and putting your money towards getting the best possible pearls which your budget allows. The clasp is usually hidden and is rarely seen anyway. Just my opinion.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results