shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion and information - Art Deco or?

muskokathompson

Rough_Rock
I'm interested in this ring for sale locally. Seller says it's Art Deco, 18 K white gold (marked 18K) and has a 1 ct centre stone. She is asking $400. It has a tiny chip, only visible under magnification.

I am wondering if the ring is actually Edwardian, and anything else anyone can determine from the photos. Is it a good purchase at that price?

Thanks so much! I look forward to your input!
Corinna image_2179.jpg image_2180.jpg image_2182.jpg

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
It's very hard to see the stone cut, color and clarity by the pictures. A one carat diamond for 400.00 is unusual, and would raise a caution flag. I would want to verify the stone is a real diamond and get an idea on the quality from an appraiser or jeweler.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with moneymeister and will also add that from these pics it looks heavily included with no life but again the pictures aren't too clear. If something is priced as too good to be true it usually is in my experience.

patricias

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I'd say that the setting dates from the 1940's, and I agree with the other posters that you'll need to get the stone checked before you buy it. The setting is very nice and appears to be in good condition.

muskokathompson

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the guidance. I thought the price was unusually low as well - but it fits my limited budget! When checking the stone with a jeweller, I'm looking for:
-genuine diamonds
-inclusions, flaws, cut, colour
-estimate of size
Anything else?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Unlikely, but I would also ask to make sure it is not clarity enhanced. Is there any possibility the ring could be stolen (Craigslist ad?).

muskokathompson

Rough_Rock
We were going to do a contract stating it was her property to sell. Hopefully that takes care of any possibility it could be stolen. She certainly wouldn't know if it has clarity enhancement - she says it was a family ring. I could ask the jeweller. Could any jeweller do this it do I need to find someone who deals in antiques?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Any reputable jeweler should be able to look at the diamond and setting and tell you more. I would avoid the chain stores in the mall.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Stone looks like an MRB to me and not an old cut.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results