shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying a ring - Newbie needs help!

Tiburon01

Rough_Rock
Hello!!
My name is Peter and i'm coming from Austria :)
I was looking for help, because i just want to buy a ring with a diamond... so i found this great forum and hope, that you can help me in this case.
What do you think will be a good price for this ring??

I'm looking forward for your answers ;-)

PS: my english is not that perfect... sorry for that!

Attachments

• _86.bmp
    761.5 KB · Views: 499
  • _87.bmp
    319.2 KB · Views: 502

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welcome! Happy you found us! Are you buying in the US or in Austria.

And no price is very good for that ring because it's not graded by a reputable lab (a quick search of DGLA did not point to reputable at all). If in the US, you should stick to GIA or AGS lab graded diamonds. And in Austria, GIA or HRD.

What is your budget? And would you be open to buying from the US, if you are in Austria. Or, would be open to buying online if you are in the US?

We'd love to help you get something lovely for your intended. If you can give us a bit more information, we would appreciate it. :wavey:

Tiburon01

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your quick answer Gypsy!
The ring is also located in Austria, so i can buy it directly from the seller.
I have an offer to buy the ring for 1200 Euro (which will be about 1590 USD) - do you think this is a fair price?
I already searched a lot of sites in the Internet but i did not get a good answer, so i hope you can help me with your experience :)

Tiburon01

Rough_Rock
I know, i am a little bit impatient... :rolleyes:
But can someone perhaps give me an estimation or a feedback regading the price of this ring?
Thank you in advance!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would not buy this ring. The lab grading it is not reputable. So the paper you have is not accurate, and is worthless. So you don't know what you are buying.

I would not buy this. No, it is not a good price. In order to have a fair price you have to have accurate paper.

Kalliope

Shiny_Rock
Hello fellow Austrian :wavey: ,

Would you buy this ring from a vendor or a private seller?

The thing here in Austria is- you won't get a decent quality diamond for a decent price (unless you're extremly lucky and/or buying preowned). The vendors make you pay premium for a certified diamond regardless what the certificate says (one salesassistent told me: "well, the certificate says it's an I1 and the cut is good, but still, IT IS CERTIFIED!" :rolleyes: ) or how reputable the lab is (unless you're shopping in a bigger town they won't even know about GIA/HRD, etc.).

That said, I think you should look into buying online. I've searched Bluenile (because they offer free shipping and calculate the taxes so you'll see the total price). You could get a yellow gold 4-prong setting with a 0,47ct RB J SI1 Ideal diamond or a 0,38ct RB I VS2 Signature Ideal for just under 1200€ for example.

So if you are open to buying online (just keep the taxes in mind, they will also be applied on shipping!) just let the extremly helpful pricescopers find you a ring on your budget :wink2: .

Tiburon01

Rough_Rock
Hello Kalliope!!

Thank you very much for your answer!
Regarding your question, it's a private person and today she made me the last offer to buy the ring for 1000€ (it's a trustable person, so the ring itself is no fake or something) :)
I think this is now a quite fair price but as you wrote already, there are also quite similar rings available in the internet.
So right now, i don't know what i should do...

Peter

Kalliope

Shiny_Rock
To be honest, 1000€ sounds like a "good" price for a 0.54ct diamond to me but you don't know anything about the quality like the other pricescopers already said!

I mean, if you like the ring and your girlfriend isn't that much into diamonds, you could go for it. I wouldn't. And I wouldn't want my boyfriend to buy it. But that's just me :wink2: . You know, for a newbie like you and me any diamond would sparkle somehow but I would love to see an ideal oder super ideal cut so sparkly and full of fire that it's blinding me :bigsmile:. But finding a diamond like that over here is, as I already said, nearly impossible (if you want the price to be reasonable).

So, I'm curious what your decision will be :wavey: !

Tiburon01

Rough_Rock
Do you perhaps know something about the "Eternity Cut" which is mentioned in the certificate? It says that there are more facetts than in nomal round brilliants. Is it just a special version of the cut?

Kalliope

Shiny_Rock
I'm sorry, I don't know anything about that cut :confused: ...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tiburon01|1408968043|3738861 said:
Do you perhaps know something about the "Eternity Cut" which is mentioned in the certificate? It says that there are more facetts than in nomal round brilliants. Is it just a special version of the cut?

Hi Peter,

It appears the Eternity cut is a cut with extra facets, could be similar to the Solasfera, Leo diamond etc, that also have extra facets. These are said to increase brilliance and make the sparkle appear more ' busy' which some people enjoy but unfortunately, we can't make assumptions about the diamond in question without a lot more info, which we don't have.

The problem here is as Gypsy mentions, we have no idea how accurate the colour and clarity grading is, I have never heard of this lab so I am extremely cautious that the grading of this stone is as stated...Also, I think the price is definitely too high for a diamond of that size and quality ( and on that we are guessing :(( ), set in a plain gold solitaire ring. For a little more money, even considering taxes to your country, you could get a reliably graded diamond and gold setting with all the vendor benefits, plus you would know what you were buying. I think the price is too high personally for that ring, if we were talking around half of the asking price it might be worth considering but not that kind of money from a private seller.

Kalliope

Shiny_Rock
Hey Peter,

Just wanted to ask if you bought the ring or if you're going for a different one :)) ?

Tiburon01

Rough_Rock
Hi Kalliope!

No, i did not buy that ring... as Lorelei mentioned, i also think that the price is not so good and the lab is also unknown.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results