carat
color
clarity

FCD CAD assistance request

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1408626894|3736770 said:
I asked about going with white, yellow and rose metals but she said it will be overly busy.

Well, it would be more work for them to do that too, and maybe run up the cost as well. However the baskets are tiny, so you would only be looking at 99% white gold on the piece.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She said the way it is designed requires them to create parts and pieces to put together, so it isn't any more work to make each item in different gold types and colours. It is because the final look of so many different metals together will not look as fluid, cohesive nor elegant.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1408627837|3736779 said:
She said the way it is designed requires them to create parts and pieces to put together, so it isn't any more work to make each item in different gold types and colours. It is because the final look of so many different metals together will not look as fluid, cohesive nor elegant.

I disagree, as I've seen so many gorgeous elegant pieces with mixed metals, but it's up to you. I wonder if Starzin or someone could add color to the cads to show off what it would look like. I just want your FCD's to pop and not get lost in there, that's all. Take it from someone who has a million rose gold pieces, and I also have a solid rose gold FCD ring, and I wish I could have done mixed metals, but it would have run the cost way up for me.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She thought all white gold looks best but I much prefer platinum for the heft and longevity. However, this is not the best colour for the pink and yellow diamonds, especially the two pink tinted rounds since white is a neutral colour. I will ask again though since you have a lot of experience with rose gold and FCDs.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1408628864|3736786 said:
She thought all white gold looks best but I much prefer platinum for the heft and longevity. However, this is not the best colour for the pink and yellow diamonds, especially the two pink tinted rounds since white is a neutral colour. I will ask again though since you have a lot of experience with rose gold and FCDs.

Well, the point being that its white metal, with small colored rose gold baskets for the pink diamonds, and yellow gold basket for the yellow pear. Your two pink rounds have such a delicate color, that I'm worried the color will get lost in all that rose gold if the whole ring is rose gold. Your other pink diamond is a more vivid color, but again, still worried about the piece being overwhelmed with one metal. FCD's usually stand out in colored baskets. I think LD had a fabulous FCD flower piece made in white metal with various colored baskets, and the piece was breathtaking.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL,
I think I understand you now. Having all that rose gold will overpower the entire ring whereas having a white base with coloured baskets create more contrast to allow the FCDs to stand out better. I would love to see a picture of LD's ring if you can find it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1408629773|3736792 said:
TL,
I think I understand you now. Having all that rose gold will overpower the entire ring whereas having a white base with coloured baskets create more contrast to allow the FCDs to stand out better. I would love to see a picture of LD's ring if you can find it.

She had a brooch I think, but you can ask her. I can't find it, many of her photos have been removed from old PS threads. Here's an antique piece I found that has great detail. I just don't see how having just the baskets in other metal colors is going to make it look busy. The baskets are so small and unobtrusive.

_14580.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like the brooch was done all in a single white metal. Is it?

Quote from the designer:
This ring has to be made in multiple parts anyway (adding to the price as if it were two tone, like XXX mentioned when you two were discussing two tone) so if you wanted a portion in platinum we could certainly do that. It's just a matter of how busy do you want it to be. You have multiple colored stones, adding multiple colored metal will add to it. This is another reason I suggest a white metal. The design will not be as prominent, and the stones will show, little less busy, not so many colors going on. Again, just my two cents.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1408630149|3736797 said:
It looks like the brooch was done all in a single white metal. Is it?

Quote from the designer:
This ring has to be made in multiple parts anyway (adding to the price as if it were two tone, like XXX mentioned when you two were discussing two tone) so if you wanted a portion in platinum we could certainly do that. It's just a matter of how busy do you want it to be. You have multiple colored stones, adding multiple colored metal will add to it. This is another reason I suggest a white metal. The design will not be as prominent, and the stones will show, little less busy, not so many colors going on. Again, just my two cents.

It's hard to tell if it's all one metal in that picture, but the point being that the baskets are so small and delicate, that you won't really notice them in the large scheme of things. They just enhance the FCD color, but you won't nothice them otherwise. Unlike colored stones, FCD's have much more delicate color most of the time. Even the Queen's huge pink diamond in her Williamson brooch is very delicate in color when compared to a regular pink colored stone, although it is a fancy pink. All I'm saying is that the baskets will amplify the color without making the piece look busy. In searching, I even found a Fabrege brooch that bezeled the colored diamond in yellow metal, while the rest of the piece was white. Bezels, IMO, are much more obtrusive looking than baskets.

fancy_diamond_jewelry_1_.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Going two toned isn't an issue; my main concern is going 3 toned which I am worried will be overly busy.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1408630997|3736802 said:
Going two toned isn't an issue; my main concern is going 3 toned which I am worried will be overly busy.

Then at the very least, I would use high karat rose gold for all the baskets. I think making the whole thing rose gold, or white metal, will make you lose the diamonds as the focal point a bit.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
TL|1408627608|3736775 said:
Chrono|1408626894|3736770 said:
I asked about going with white, yellow and rose metals but she said it will be overly busy.

Well, it would be more work for them to do that too, and maybe run up the cost as well. However the baskets are tiny, so you would only be looking at 99% white gold on the piece.

I agree. Can you ask them to do just the baskets in yellow gold? I could understand how 3 metals could look haphazard, but I think 2 tone is fine. But, I am biased, as you know. Perhaps you could offer to do two tone for an additional fee.

For the wax model, I believe it is going to come in a odd color like green or red? There are wax products for applying to metals to change their color. *I have never used them.* Perhaps they can be applied to wax (wax on wax) to also change the color. There is a sample set here. If they apply correctly, I think you could experiment to see what metal colors look best. I think they may dramatically change the way your stones look.

http://www.amazon.com/Rub-Buff-Metallic-Finishes-Sampler/dp/B003DKZE5A/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Best wishes for you Chrono. As you know, I had a bad experience doing semi-custom, and it put me off of doing settings for a long time. Even with 1 good custom under by belt (only a halo), I am still very hesitant. I also echo your comment that it is very helpful to work with someone who knows what is doable and not from a practical standpoint. These qualities seem to depend on the individual, not the overall vendor.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
TL, that is such a great sample of how to use metals to emphasis the color of stones. I like diamonds in white, but other stones can be helped with yellow or rose gold.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd do platinum, and the baskets in rose and yellow gold too. I think the colored gold will over power the stones if it's all in one color. So I'd absolutely do the yellow diamond in yellow gold and the pink diamonds in rose gold (and I'd probably want 14kt to get the pinkest enhancement possible) I don't think it'd look busy at all. It's not like that much of the golds would show - from the top it'd be just the prongs! It's not like Black Hills gold, where you see splotches of different colors of gold all over the place!

Also, I'd do platinum for the rest of the ring just based on longevity and hardiness.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1408631354|3736804 said:
Then at the very least, I would use high karat rose gold for all the baskets. I think making the whole thing rose gold, or white metal, will make you lose the diamonds as the focal point a bit.

I'm sure going with 18K RG baskets will not be an issue.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1408631646|3736806 said:
I agree. Can you ask them to do just the baskets in yellow gold? I could understand how 3 metals could look haphazard, but I think 2 tone is fine. But, I am biased, as you know. Perhaps you could offer to do two tone for an additional fee.

For the wax model, I believe it is going to come in a odd color like green or red? There are wax products for applying to metals to change their color. *I have never used them.* Perhaps they can be applied to wax (wax on wax) to also change the color. There is a sample set here. If they apply correctly, I think you could experiment to see what metal colors look best. I think they may dramatically change the way your stones look.

http://www.amazon.com/Rub-Buff-Metallic-Finishes-Sampler/dp/B003DKZE5A/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Best wishes for you Chrono. As you know, I had a bad experience doing semi-custom, and it put me off of doing settings for a long time. Even with 1 good custom under by belt (only a halo), I am still very hesitant. I also echo your comment that it is very helpful to work with someone who knows what is doable and not from a practical standpoint. These qualities seem to depend on the individual, not the overall vendor.

Yellow gold is good for the yellow pear but she said will not be good for the pinks. I think the increase for going 2 toned will be minimal. I'm not sure about the wax but I think it is the standard green colour. This is the first I've heard of using multiple colours on the same wax mold.

Pregcurious, thank you for the good wishes because I think I need it! And I agree wholeheartedly with the bolded. It is the designer that matters the most, not the particular vendor.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1408643587|3736943 said:
I'd do platinum, and the baskets in rose and yellow gold too. I think the colored gold will over power the stones if it's all in one color. So I'd absolutely do the yellow diamond in yellow gold and the pink diamonds in rose gold (and I'd probably want 14kt to get the pinkest enhancement possible) I don't think it'd look busy at all. It's not like that much of the golds would show - from the top it'd be just the prongs! It's not like Black Hills gold, where you see splotches of different colors of gold all over the place!

Also, I'd do platinum for the rest of the ring just based on longevity and hardiness.

I agree and will not be doing this now. I dislike 14K by principle alone so it has to be 18K, ;( And yes, BH gold isn't the look I want. :cheeky:

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Totally agree with TL- all rose gold would probably get lost on your rose gold colored finger and you may not see the light pinks much at all. If you look at my orchid ring- it is all platinum except the rose gold basket under the pink diamonds, well, and the rose gold prongs and RDG used 18kt rose gold. The rose gold barely shows at all. And although I've been a bit of a 14kt gold snob, too- the pink diamond ring I'm having made now is using 14kt rose gold with platinum. the designer strongly suggested 14kt gold with the lighter pinks to amp the color as much as possible. But, if you were only doing 2 color metal I'd stick with the 18kt anyway because of the yellow diamond. I don't think you need yellow gold under your yellow as it's an intense yellow anyway, right? So 18kt is a good compromise for all the baskets except your white diamond, of course.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1408645086|3736961 said:
pregcurious|1408631646|3736806 said:

Yellow gold is good for the yellow pear but she said will not be good for the pinks. I think the increase for going 2 toned will be minimal. I'm not sure about the wax but I think it is the standard green colour. This is the first I've heard of using multiple colours on the same wax mold.

Pregcurious, thank you for the good wishes because I think I need it! And I agree wholeheartedly with the bolded. It is the designer that matters the most, not the particular vendor.

The wax product that I linked to is a wax that is applied for decorative purposes. I was thinking that you could take the wax model that you receive and paint it with the wax that I posted to.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Goodness! Look what happened as I slept! :lol:

Just thought I'd throw this picture up so that folk could see how much it has slimmed down and lengthened.

I see the conversation has moved on to gold colours and between now and when the wax arrives you can pore (paw) through these FCD threads where you'll find an abundance of diamonds set in different coloured golds, bezel and prong. One in particular is a "lemonade" ring with centre YG bezelled yellow diamond and a pink halo set in RG. I think there's also one with the pink halo set in WG or platinum..
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-off-your-colored-diamonds.153727/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-off-your-colored-diamonds.153727/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pics-of-smaller-5ct-or-less-fcds-set.179845/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pics-of-smaller-5ct-or-less-fcds-set.179845/[/URL]

Also here's a comparison of green and yellow gold on what I presume is a chrysoberyl but I haven't saved the owner or details of this lovely ring. I think that's because it was a couple of years ago and I didn't know those things were important then! I think I remember the owner went with yellow gold but I could be wrong. I know one of you will remember whose it is :))

I wouldn't go painting anything on the wax unless you ask the designer, it may not make a difference to the casting OTOH it might.

wf-greengold-gg-yllwgold-yg-comparison.jpg

screen_shot_2014-08-21_at_11.png

screen_shot_2014-08-22_at_1.png

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Freke - I knew someone would know :)) I hope she doesn't mind, I saved it because I really liked it as a setting without diamonds.

Oops! Gotta run!

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The wax molds I've seen for approval are the actual one's used for casting........so I agree with Starzin that the wax should not be changed with colors! However, you could potentially order two of them and "play color time" with one that will be disposable.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the tip ladies about the wax cast. I thought that they were keepers when they were sent out!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
digdeep - that's a good idea about the two waxes if Chrono can be bothered chasing down some wax/paint of some description because...

...is anyone else thinking leaves, vines, green hmmm... pink flowers (RG for pinks) and the pear will do well in green gold I think :devil: :-o :love: :))

ETA: Just to be clear, I mean the whole ring in green gold and just the pink settings in pink gold and possibly white in white.

Preg - you're welcome

chrono-fcd-pear-and-oval.png

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Just as an adjunct to that, Mochi posted all the WF gold versions - rose, green, yellow, white.

Then when Mochi got the ring, she was such a diligent PSer she took 349 photos and posted them here. Seriously pretty colour and you can see it in all lights and on every plant in her garden :bigsmile:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beat you all about the green gold question WAY back in the project.

Quote from the bench:
We could make the whole ring in green gold, but I think it would be too subtle. Green gold isn't very green. It's a subtle, pale greenish hue in the yellow. It show's up best when it's paired with other alloy colors; 18K yellow gold would create enough contrast to make the green gold look green. Using all three colors (yellow, green, and rose gold) is the most common way to show off the colors.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The bench made the CAD in the correct metal and FCD colours so no painting required. :appl: She said this is the closest she can get to real life colours.

crown_ring.jpg

crown_side_up.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The leaves will be engraved following the style below.

green_7.jpg

yellow_leaf.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
:shock: :shock: :shock: Goodness that's a bit of a shock after all this time! I'm quite bowled over :lol: Ooooh... I'll have to think on this... I'm not really a WG/plat girl. I can remember the goldsmith where I took silver jewellery classes many moons ago saying "silver is white, everything else is silver" to which I would add - platinum is grey 8) But you already know that and still love it.

The rose gold looks a bit pink to me but I don't know what your 18k RG looks like over there (US). She's done a very good job though, I have to give her that.

I know the green gold is subtle, I just loike it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results