shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all Cartier Experts

Wyntery

Shiny_Rock
I have come across a 'Cartier' trinity that I'm considering purchasing. It doesn't include papers etc as it is a vintage piece. The ring isn't stamped Cartier on the exterior (which I'm happy about because I'm not a huge fan of the prominent branding). All three rings are hallmarked on the exterior (I can't make out the hallmark, but it's an elongated diamond shape). On the rose gold ring it is stamped "Cartier 750 52". My concern is that the ring doesn't include a serial number or the SNOE marking that I've read is normally present on the trinity. Did Cartier produce a trinity without exterior branding and without a serial number at any point?

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
I love the Trinity rings! I wear a recently produced Trinity ring, purchased at Cartier, and there is no serial number. Conversely, I also wear a plain platinum band and it does have a serial number. Can you post a photo of your conquest? Happy to take a look at the hallmarks, but I suggest you don't post a link to any active sale.

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
RandG|1407452394|3728167 said:
I love the Trinity rings! I wear a recently produced Trinity ring, purchased at Cartier, and there is no serial number. Conversely, I also wear a plain platinum band and it does have a serial number. Can you post a photo of your conquest? Happy to take a look at the hallmarks, but I suggest you don't post a link to any active sale.

Wyntery: On closer inspection with a loupe, I do see a serial number.

Wyntery

Shiny_Rock
Attached is the sellers image of the internal markings. They have confirmed that there is no serial number 'but stand by its authenticity'.

trinity_marking.jpg

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
The font Is not at all indicative of signature Cartier. The width of the rings is off too. The picture is not great but from what I see, I wouldn't buy it.

Wyntery

Shiny_Rock
Thanks RandD. What should I look out for when buying a Trinity second hand?

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
You did a good job here. You knew to question the lack of serial number. So first and foremost, trust your instincts.
I stick to vendors with a reputation for selling authentic signed pieces, and on ebay, sellers with a reputation for selling authentic high-end items and 100% positive feedback (or pretty darn close). I like to see a copy of a receipt, box and papers. If no box and papers, the item should be more discounted.

Online places I would use to source a Trinity ring: ebay, 1st dibs, Luxury Exchange, and Portero. If you have never tried one on (and I recommend you do before buying) I would go up at least one half size because of the rolling effect of the rings. These rings cannot be sized.

Here are examples of credible buying opportunities (check out the hallmarks so you know what to look for):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cartier-18k-Trinity-Tri-Color-Ring-w-Original-Box-Certificate-/271544368966?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item3f394e3f46

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARTIER-Trinity-18-Karat-Multitone-Gold-Ring-US-Size-6-EU-Size-52-S671-/121379110860?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item1c42c23fcc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Authentic-Used-Cartier-18K-Three-Gold-Trinity-Ring-Brand-Jewelry-52-/221484780868?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item3391858d44

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trinity-de-Cartier-3-Bands-18k-White-Gold-Ring-US7-EU53-W-Cert-3045-/301271760075?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item4625323ccb (I've purchased from this seller and this is a good deal!)

If you like wearing a signed piece with a visible logo, I really like these two styles too:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTH-Cartier-Diamond-Lanieres-Ring-750-White-Gold-Size-52-/331282202803?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item4d21f540b3 (very good deal and a good seller)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auth-100-CARTIER-Platinum950-Engraved-Ring-EU-46-Classic-z4554-/221516802371?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item33936e2943

Good luck-- let me know if I can help!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

You've received good advice. Where possible, buy Estate pieces that come with original documents.

cheers--Sharon

Wyntery

Shiny_Rock
RandD thank you so much. When I look at serial numbers what format should they be?

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
No worries!

On three of my modern rings, it starts with two letters, then numbers. On two more vintage pieces, its just numbers. My watch is numbers first, then letters. On all these pieces, there is varying order and consistency as to how the serial number is inscribed.

When buying a signed piece you want to look at the totality of all the hallmarks, the piece itself, receipt/paperwork/certificates/recent service records, the price of the item, and the seller. I wouldn't buy if any one element looked good, but I would want to see a myriad of elements that come together and make the item more than likely authentic. It's still always a risk.

I'll share a story. I bought a purported 1920's vintage Cartier French cut diamond band from a well known online estate jeweler who was offended when I questioned authenticity. The hallmarks were all very faint, but present. The location of the hallmarks troubled me. I collect French cut bands, this was a beauty and I took a chance. About a year after I bought it, I took it to Cartier NY to have it "serviced". The manager of the department told me it was unlikely Cartier and took the time to share the reasons why, one of them, the location of the Cartier signature.

When I bought my latest vintage piece, I didn't wait a year, but had an expert look at it both before I bought it, and then within a week of buying it, I still took it to Cartier NY to be "serviced" just to be absolutely sure.

Now, no matter what my instinct tells me about the authenticity of a signed piece, I always make a point of taking the item back to the maker, to have it "serviced".

Any time you buy from a source other than the maker, you take a risk. You mitigate that risk by requiring all the elements we are discussing here, but unfortunately, the outside chance of deception always remains.

I hope this is helpful.

Wyntery

Shiny_Rock
RandG, thanks again!
I have found two more I'm interested in.
Image for the first one below. The serial number is not shown but the seller tells me that it is: KK757, which I thought a little odd, I thought the serial numbers on the trinity were 6 digits long. Photo:

option_7.jpg

Wyntery

Shiny_Rock
And the second option. This one includes the Cartier stamp to the exterior plus the markings inside:

option_1_1.jpg

option_1_2.jpg

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
Wyntery: I don't like the font again in the first one. The second one looks better. Perhaps others, who have this same style can weigh in as well.

How do you feel about the seller of the second ring? Personally, I would avoid sellers of "signed" pieces where there had been any claims of fake merchandise. No matter how good the item looks, I would run. It's just not worth it.

Wyntery

Shiny_Rock
Hi RandD,

I purchased the second ring which was sold by the same seller as the all white gold one your recommended. It arrived today. The interior markings look good, the outer logo is crisp, but I'm still concerned. None of the rings feature the eagle hallmark on the exterior (or the interior). Only the rose gold ring has any markings. I'm thinking I should return it as I thought all Cartier would feature the eagle head mark. What's your view?

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
If in doubt, for any reason, return it. If you don't, you will always wonder. You can post photos here for others with the same Trinity ring to comment. If you have a copy of the certificate, you should post that too. My ring does not have an eagle hallmark, and it was purchased directly from Cartier. I believe the hallmarks vary, depending on the country of origin.

There are inexpensive services you can use to authenticate your item, which can be sourced on the purse forum (http://forum.purseblog.com/jewelry-reference-forum/). You can also take it to a Cartier under the guise you'd like to have it polished. Cartier will not touch the piece if it's not one of their own.

I'm sorry this hasn't been an easy journey. I hope you find the right one soon.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Only 1 ring on the trinity should be stamped. I believe it is ually the rose gold band. I would go look at mine but I lost it this week so I have no reference.

And I would stick away from ebay but stay with sellers on have a B&M store that can tell the difference.

Wyntery

Shiny_Rock
RandG thanks for replying. The fact that your ring doesn't feature the exterior hallmarks puts me at ease, as everything else with the ring seems spot on.
I've done some more research and it seems that US made rings don't include hallmarks, so it's probably likely that mine was made in the US. I will take it to Cartier for a 'clean' though and see what they think.
For reference the interior of the rose gold ring is stamped with: 750 53 C HN7253 SNOE (the c stands for the copyright symbol and SNOE features the love heart above it).
SB621 I hope you find your ring soon!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results