shape
carat
color
clarity

PP Tahitian pearls on sale!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Cmd: was your strand advertised as 18 inches? If so, did you check with PP why it's closer to 17 inches? I would certainly expect to receive the full length that was advertised for my strand.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
icy_jade|1408641081|3736907 said:
Cmd: was your strand advertised as 18 inches? If so, did you check with PP why it's closer to 17 inches? I would certainly expect to receive the full length that was advertised for my strand.

Generally, unstrung strands measure about 16 inches long, and they figure that the knots and the clasp will add about 2 inches. They generally say that the finished length is approximate.

I noticed that Cmd2014's strand has only 33 pearls, and that many of the other unstrung Tahitian strands have more like 41 pearls.

Fewer pearls means fewer knots and therefore less additional length.

cmd4014 - You can ask PP to add match and add two or four more pearls to the back of the strand anytime you want to send it in. I've done that with some of my shorter strands. I would expect to pay for the extra pearls, of course. In this case, icy jade is right that it might be worth it to inquire if the original strand should have been a couple of pearls longer in the first place.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fly Girl|1408641864|3736921 said:
icy_jade|1408641081|3736907 said:

Generally, unstrung strands measure about 16 inches long, and they figure that the knots and the clasp will add about 2 inches.

I noticed that Cmd2014's strand has only 33 pearls, and that many of the other unstrung Tahitian strands have more like 41 pearls.

Fewer pearls means fewer knots and therefore less additional length.

cmd4014 - You can ask PP to add match and add two or four more pearls to the back of the strand anytime you want to send it in. I've done that with some of my shorter strands. They will charge for the extra pearls, of course.

The description said "approximately 18 inches" and I'm not that fussed by what amounts to maybe a little over 1/2 inch (I wasn't exact in my measuring as I didn't want to scratch my pearls with DH's tape measure, but it looked to be about 17 1/3 - 17 1/2 with the clasp). In addition to what Fly Girl said, my experience has been that PP strands tend to be very tightly knotted, and that they loosen up over a wearing or two. Once that happens, I suspect that my necklace will end up being 18 inches (or close enough to it that an extra pearl would put it over, let alone the 2 that would be needed to keep it balanced). I suspect it's one of the frustrations of stranding (that it is hard to match colour, shape, AND the number of pearls to get the desired length).

Actually, I think Jeremy talked about the knotting issue in one of the Facebook videos: that people think that their necklace is not straight when they first get them, when really it's just that the knots will naturally stretch a bit so they deliberately make them just a little too tight to begin with.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I caved! I was sending back the tahitian and garnet tin cup I got from the last sale to have a pearl replaced (an extra drill hole in one of them) and I just kept seeing these lovely necklaces, and I caved.... So I am returning the tahitian tin cup and getting a modest strand of peacock baroques! I would have gotten a rope, but my last 2 projects are still fresh on my CC, and I don't mind having a few shorter strands. I had them hold it for me until my necklace gets returned to them, so I don't have a picture, but I was torn between the one I chose and this one, which are almost identical (this one goes up to 11.6 MM the one I chose was 12.6) Colors and shapes match pretty close!

strand.jpg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl & Cmd: ah ok, makes sense. Mine has same no of pearls so might turn out the same way. Good to know in advance.

Ckrickett: this thread is poison huh? I thought I'll sit this out too but... =P

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I'm just taking a quick break at work, so forgive me if I miss people. There are so many lovely new necklaces!

Fly Girl, I was so tempted by that 54" rope. I already bought a 35" rope of "Fat Sisters" that 4RG picked for me at the Ruckus, but 54" sounded so good. :naughty: I look forward to seeing them in 2015.

CMD, that new strand looks great on you. White, sliver and blue Tahitians = yum! :love:

Bsomlo, I'm very excited for you that you will get the white Tahitians after all, and look forward to seeing them next Ruckus!

JanesJewels, that choker looks great on you!

FrostMe, those are some beautiful peacocks!.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Icy -- I was sure I'd sit this one out, too... oh, well.

cmd -- I like shorter strands and I think yours looks perfect on you!

It's true that the strands can come very tightly knotted (my preference) and need a chance to breathe, relax and stretch.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
cmd2014|1408596383|3736690 said:
Well, I'm not at the stage of hiding purchases under the bed yet....but if I buy any more I'm going to have to start timing deliveries for weeks when he is away. It's been Akoyas in June, the 36.5 inch metallic fw strand and silver Tahitians in July (I couldn't resist the sale), and 2 strands during this sale. Oh, there was also a 60 inch 6.5mm off-round fw rope that I bought on sale locally in July too, because I was too impatient for my 36.5 strand to arrive. I wear that one a lot because I can triple it.

I'm glad I don't have both strands. That would feel too greedy knowing that others wanted one.

I may have to start timing deliveries myself. (My Ruckus purchases haven't arrived yet.)

At my first visit to PP in June, I bought the Keira strand and blue baroque akoya double strand, both with matching earrings. Then I picked up an 8-8.5 mm Freshadama strand and lavender FW drop earrings from the July sale. Then at the Ruckus at the end of July, I bought 3 SoC pearls to be made into a pendant, a WSS pendant, an 18" strand of AAA Tahitian drops, and a 35" rope of "Fat Sisters" Tahitians that will be strung as a double strand. It was a lot of damage to do in 2 months.

I had dinner with 4RG, JulieBeth and GemGeek earlier this week. DH made me promise I would not come home with more pearls

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone XOXO for your sweet comments on the peacock T's, I reach for them everyday.

bsomio,
I'm excited because you are so excited, you will love them! I'm still a little blue on the strand I let go … and I admit I considered keeping it and taking it apart, pulling out the whites and silvers and blues for future. bsomio, unless you are having the strand re-strung or changing the clasp, that length was a good 18" maybe a bit more. I thought the length was perfect. Congrats!

ckricket,
Congratulations on your new T-strand, I think it gives a lot of look on the neck, you are not the only one caving. :wall:

cmd2014
Your strand looks beautiful I love the really white one in the front. I felt like the whites looked like WSS too. Enjoy all that shimmer, send more pics!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kay|1408657952|3737099 said:
I had dinner with 4RG, JulieBeth and GemGeek earlier this week. DH made me promise I would not come home with more pearls

Not a promise easily made I'm sure!!! :lol:

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
cmd2014|1408596383|3736690 said:
Well, I'm not at the stage of hiding purchases under the bed yet....but if I buy any more I'm going to have to start timing deliveries for weeks when he is away. It's been Akoyas in June, the 36.5 inch metallic fw strand and silver Tahitians in July (I couldn't resist the sale), and 2 strands during this sale. Oh, there was also a 60 inch 6.5mm off-round fw rope that I bought on sale locally in July too, because I was too impatient for my 36.5 strand to arrive. I wear that one a lot because I can triple it.

I'm glad I don't have both strands. That would feel too greedy knowing that others wanted one.

I may have to start timing deliveries myself. (My Ruckus purchases haven't arrived yet.)

At my first visit to PP in June, I bought the Keira strand and blue baroque akoya double strand, both with matching earrings. Then I picked up an 8-8.5 mm Freshadama strand and lavender FW drop earrings from the July sale. Then at the Ruckus at the end of July, I bought 3 SoC pearls to be made into a pendant, a WSS pendant, an 18" strand of AAA Tahitian drops, and a 35" rope of "Fat Sisters" Tahitians that will be strung as a double strand. It was a lot of damage to do in 2 months.

Kay, how lucky you are to have all these wonderful pearl queens in your area to have dinner with!

'

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Fly Girl|1408588642|3736613 said:
4Ranch Girl|1408587731|3736589 said:
FlyGirl :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: "fat sisters" rock!!! Your rope is TDF I can't wait to see neck shots of your new pearls. That will keep me happy for days and days.

BS :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: and :dance: for your new strand. I am so glad it will be yours. You have some really special new pearls. Neck shots please :mrgreen:

Yes, I decided to get in on the Loot. Part of this was seeing Loot 1 strands at the ruckus and they were very nice. Part of it was seeing HHPmom at the ruckus wearing her Tahitian rope and thinking that I really, really needed one of those. I lusted after Sheri's super rope as well. This rope will be different from the mixed color rounds. I'm guessing it will be here the middle of next week. And, it will make me very happy to make you happy with neck shots. :dance:

Now, are you getting a provoked baroque strand? :wink2: You look amazing in them during your photo shoot. :naughty:

Wow, a lot has happened yesterday. I laughed when I read about the 2 strands with white Tahitians and one will end up going to bsomlo. My original "loot" comes from a soft circle lot, not drop though. One of my strands is 9-11.7mm. When I compared to 4RG's strands, hers were really "fat sisters" LOL. I think they may be as large as 13mm.

Fly Girl, I am glad my multicolor rope has enabled you to get this strand. I see lots of pretty choices that you ladies have bought. I was closed to checking out a rope last week but I managed to be good to my wallet, for now.

Looking forward to seeing neck shots from everyone.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
JulieBeth was on vacation in our town so I set up a dinner for us to welcome her. It was such a wonderful evening among pearl friends. We did a show and tell and even the waiter stopped by and said the pearls were beautiful we were showing. Pearl people are the best :love:

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
HHPmom|1408659888|3737123 said:
Fly Girl|1408588642|3736613 said:
4Ranch Girl|1408587731|3736589 said:
FlyGirl :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: "fat sisters" rock!!! Your rope is TDF I can't wait to see neck shots of your new pearls. That will keep me happy for days and days.

BS :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: and :dance: for your new strand. I am so glad it will be yours. You have some really special new pearls. Neck shots please :mrgreen:

Yes, I decided to get in on the Loot. Part of this was seeing Loot 1 strands at the ruckus and they were very nice. Part of it was seeing HHPmom at the ruckus wearing her Tahitian rope and thinking that I really, really needed one of those. I lusted after Sheri's super rope as well. This rope will be different from the mixed color rounds. I'm guessing it will be here the middle of next week. And, it will make me very happy to make you happy with neck shots. :dance:

Now, are you getting a provoked baroque strand? :wink2: You look amazing in them during your photo shoot. :naughty:

Wow, a lot has happened yesterday. I laughed when I read about the 2 strands with white Tahitians and one will end up going to bsomlo. My original "loot" comes from a soft circle lot, not drop though. One of my strands is 9-11.7mm. When I compared to 4RG's strands, hers were really "fat sisters" LOL. I think they may be as large as 13mm.

Fly Girl, I am glad my multicolor rope has enabled you to get this strand. I see lots of pretty choices that you ladies have bought. I was closed to checking out a rope last week but I managed to be good to my wallet, for now.

Looking forward to seeing neck shots from everyone.

:whistle: LOLOLOLOLOL HHPmom just a reminder the Pearl Paradise "connoisseurs" sale is in September. I saw the box of goodies when I was in the vault at the ruckus and are we in for a treat.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, 4ranchgirl. I have a photo of you with your hands in the connisours sales box of goodies.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Frost Me|1408658222|3737101 said:
ckricket,
Congratulations on your new T-strand, I think it gives a lot of look on the neck, you are not the only one caving. :wall:

Thanks! I am waiting for my 2 other necklaces, so waiting for one more won't make it harder....right? :shifty:

I am greatly enjoying looking at everyone else's purchases. So many lovely peacocks!

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Frost Me|1408658222|3737101 said:

bsomio,
I'm excited because you are so excited, you will love them! I'm still a little blue on the strand I let go … and I admit I considered keeping it and taking it apart, pulling out the whites and silvers and blues for future. bsomio, unless you are having the strand re-strung or changing the clasp, that length was a good 18" maybe a bit more. I thought the length was perfect. Congrats!

I actually prefer 16" strands on me in general, but I'll "suffer through" the longer strand and make adjustments (maybe another pair of mismatched earrings -- one white Tahitian drop and one green Tahitian drop!) if need be down the line.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
cmd2014|1408658441|3737104 said:

Not a promise easily made I'm sure!!! :lol:

Well, I only promised not to come home with more pearls that night. ;)) :naughty: I figured it was unlikely anyone would be selling items from their collections over dinner.

The Connoisseurs' sale in September may be my undoing. Followed by Black Friday. So much for being good the rest of the year. I think I'm good on strands for a while, but there are always pendants, earrings and tin cups. ;)) I really want a major fireball pendant like Bsomlo's stunners. :love:

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
I think the 54" rope length is very versatile. I don't think I've seen Tahitian ropes this length ever from PP. You can wear it as a rope with a knot in front, double or triple it, one loop close to your neck and the long loop in front like the Gellner picture that Kay posted, lots of possibilities. I like to be able to look at my pearls when I wear ropes.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
HHPmom|1408732329|3737639 said:
I think the 54" rope length is very versatile. I don't think I've seen Tahitian ropes this length ever from PP. You can wear it as a rope with a knot in front, double or triple it, one loop close to your neck and the long loop in front like the Gellner picture that Kay posted, lots of possibilities. I like to be able to look at my pearls when I wear ropes.

Yes, I really want a 54" rope because of all the styling options.

tahitians__andy_muller_1.jpg

gellner_mermaid_y_rope_2.jpg

gellner_mermaid_y_rope_3.jpg

elysian_50in_pp_multi_tahitian.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I'm looking forward to trying my 54" rope out. My guess is that I will probably wear it doubled most of the time, but we'll see. I love green peacock Tahitians so much that I'm not concerned, say, if I find the strand a bit heavy, or something. These will be pretty pearls, and I'm excited about the round, plump shapes. Worst case, I'll be able to use these pearls in some form or another. :tongue:

Since I have purchased so much this month, I'm hoping I can ignore the Connoisseur's sale next month. If it is mostly Chinese freshwaters, I'll probably be able to resist. At least, that is my plan. I've been thinking about colors, and how people prefer different colors of pearls for various reasons. Lately, I've been trending towards the lovely colors of Tahitians, and away from the pale freshwater colors. 8)

Bsolmo, I think it is interesting that you ended up with a Tahitian strand that has a light color palatte. Not the classic dark Tahitian look at all. You went for the non-Tahitian looking Tahitian strand. I love that strand, the drop shapes and mixed colors, and I think you will look amazing in it. It is in keeping with the sort of the pearl colors that you have been wearing.

I'm also wondering about the provoked baroques and how those do not seem to be selling, at least to this crowd. Other than cost, I'm wondering if perhaps they were more brightly colored, rather than mostly black, if they would be more appealing. :?:

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl -- Yes, I've been thinking the same type of thing. When I see my collection spread out in photos, it is apparent that I like pastels and metallics -- whether fresh or saltwater. You're right that the Tahitian I wanted is not typical, but it does have greens which I don't typically gravitate towards. So it will be similar, yet different, from what I usually wear. I focused on the "different" aspect and you noticed the "similar" aspect.

Boy, we are becoming quite intimately knowledgeable about each other's collections and tastes!

I fear next month's sale because it is right up my alley -- big time.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
bsomlo|1408735876|3737676 said:
I fear next month's sale because it is right up my alley -- big time.
:lol: I'm looking forward to your picks! ;))

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to torture myself....which of the remaining 50 - 54 inch strands would you pearl mavens recommend? I have been eyeing them all....and flip flop between them. Not 100% sure my CC can tolerate another strand....but I'm definitely dreaming!

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Just got through looking at Bailey and Frost Me's strands. I love those drop shapes. They are so yummy!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
cmd2014|1408738975|3737718 said:
Just to torture myself....which of the remaining 50 - 54 inch strands would you pearl mavens recommend? I have been eyeing them all....and flip flop between them. Not 100% sure my CC can tolerate another strand....but I'm definitely dreaming!
I was torn between the one I got and the one with the blue-green body color (TAN200-883). I love my Kamokas that are blue-green, and I find the blue-green appealing. What I'm not sure of is how much of a different there is between the green body color and the blue-green body color strands.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Fly Girl|1408735446|3737672 said:

I'm looking forward to trying my 54" rope out. My guess is that I will probably wear it doubled most of the time, but we'll see. I love green peacock Tahitians so much that I'm not concerned, say, if I find the strand a bit heavy, or something. These will be pretty pearls, and I'm excited about the round, plump shapes. Worst case, I'll be able to use these pearls in some form or another. :tongue:

Since I have purchased so much this month, I'm hoping I can ignore the Connoisseur's sale next month. If it is mostly Chinese freshwaters, I'll probably be able to resist. At least, that is my plan. I've been thinking about colors, and how people prefer different colors of pearls for various reasons. Lately, I've been trending towards the lovely colors of Tahitians, and away from the pale freshwater colors. 8)

Bsolmo, I think it is interesting that you ended up with a Tahitian strand that has a light color palatte. Not the classic dark Tahitian look at all. You went for the non-Tahitian looking Tahitian strand. I love that strand, the drop shapes and mixed colors, and I think you will look amazing in it. It is in keeping with the sort of the pearl colors that you have been wearing.

I'm also wondering about the provoked baroques and how those do not seem to be selling, at least to this crowd. Other than cost, I'm wondering if perhaps they were more brightly colored, rather than mostly black, if they would be more appealing. :?:

I look forward to seeing your pictures too. I think you'll be able to wear it just fine. My "tutti fruitti" rope is 8-10mm (60 inches) and about 3 1/2 oz (non-digital scale) or 99g. I don't find it heavy at all. If the Connoisseur's sale is FW then I think I am safe. My first pearl love was Tahitian pearls and it's still true today. I find the provoked baroques too dark for my taste. I like Tahitian keshi better, especially the ones with streaks of green in the concave surface.

I bought some Tahitians from Jeremy in 2009 when they had a large batch. During that visit the whole table was filled with bags and bags of pearls. They aren't as lustrous as the current ones he's selling now. This is the time to buy Tahitian strands, especially at these sale prices.

tah_rope_copy.jpg

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Fly Girl|1408742574|3737758 said:
cmd2014|1408738975|3737718 said:
I was torn between the one I got and the one with the blue-green body color (TAN200-883). I love my Kamokas that are blue-green, and I find the blue-green appealing. What I'm not sure of is how much of a different there is between the green body color and the blue-green body color strands.

Hard to tell without trying both on in person. Personally I look better in the vibrant green, fly wing green, peacock green than blue-green. They just pop out more.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I just received the glamour shot of my 54" Tahitian rope from Pearl Paradise. I'm pleased to see that while most of the pearls are pink and green, there are a few blue pearls to give a bit of pop, and a couple that show the entire rainbow. :cheeky:

The strand is being shipped today, so I should have it by the middle of next week. :appl:

aug_22_2014-_5_copy.jpg

mapo

Shiny_Rock
FlyGirl, your tahitian rope is to die for! Beautiful! I am eager to see them "IRL". :clap:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results