shape
carat
color
clarity

He bought this! 1.83 untreated Montana Sapphire

kiwiflea

Rough_Rock
Its perfect and I love it! :love:

I was obsessing over this stone. When it popped back up as available I showed it to my SO, I was a little bit heartbroken when it disappeared again. Well he must have liked it too because he is the one who bought it!

http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=7739

image_2213.jpg

image_2214.jpg

image_2215.jpg

I love the colour and the cutting, and the fact its completely natural. Dana is such a nice guy, and he sent a bonus gemstone which was a nice surprise. Its a large Nigerian tourmaline - dark but cool.

I think we are going to need some help with setting ideas, I was thinking rose gold or platinum solitaire, with some detail on the basket. I really want it to be an heirloom piece and do justice to this lovely stone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice!! Definitely rose gold would bring out the blue green color the most. How does it look sitting on top of a shiny copper penny? A nice halo would also bring out the facet pattern.

If you want to bring out more of any icy/silvery cast to the stone, then white metal.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have fun with that beauty!

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Pretty stone. I remember seeing it on the site.
The first thing that popped into my head was Sally at Heart of Water:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/HeartofWaterJewels
I'm not sure how familiar you are with her work; scroll through the sold items to get an even better idea.
And you would have to send the stone to Thailand, which you might not be willing to do. (I would have a problem with it.) But plenty of PS'ers will vouch for her work.

Isn't Dana just the nicest guy in the world? He's so easy to do business with.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
your SO is a keeper!.....and so is the CS. :appl:

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
I adore Dana - and that Sapphire.. Just :love: gorgeous!!

I am in awe that your husband actually listened to you and he didn't do that zombie stare and blank out :dance: I would like your husband to meet mine for a little chat... ha ha ::)

ephsea

Shiny_Rock
I saw that and remember thinking "Wow what a score for someone!" It's a real stunner and the price was amazing.

kiwiflea

Rough_Rock
I really love rose gold, and it looks quite nice with a copper coin but it's overcast here and I can't get any decent pictures with an iPad. I would like to emphasise the blue/green colour.

Sally does have some lovely pieces, I am reluctant to send it back overseas however, I will keep that in mind though just looking at some of her sold items. I am in NZ so we will look for a jeweller here, I would like it to be handmade - I don't know if anyone here can recommend anyone? Otherwise me might buy from a vendor that will just sell us a setting and have it set here.

He is a keeper! But I have to say this takes him up a peg! ;)) I was in complete disbelief when he showed me the confirmation, I feel very lucky!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty sapphire. I love the color.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I love this! :love:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
That is gorgeous! I looked at it & loved it too.

My first thought was of Sally too -- TexasJ & I have ESP. Since you're in NZ, sending it to Thailand isn't as big a deal as it is from the U.S. Sally's work is all by hand -- no molds even. Her pieces are impeccable & she is just marvelous -- always willing to work with you on cost & on what you want. I have a few things from her & have her in mind for others -- do a search for PSers who've had Sally make things for them. You'll find a bunch of very happy campers.

Super SO you have! Hang onto him!

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rose gold for sure and another vote for Sally's beautiful handiwork. Congrats on a wonderful surprise by your DH. :appl:

S

SparkliesLuver

What a stunning unheated Montana sapphire! :love: And I think your idea to make it into an heirloom piece is perfect. Can't wait to see more pictures, including the finished piece.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely, definitely rose gold. That's just stunning ::)

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
That stone is just about as perfect as it gets :) love it, congratulations!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a quick note. Sally can make a setting to mail to you and you can set it locally if you're worried about shipping stones to her.

Personally I've sent Sally stones several times, including some valuable ones, without any issues (I am in Hong Kong and would rather send her my stones than to the US due to USPS and US customs. Never had any problems with Thai customs yet.. Last month I shipped a diamond to her on a Saturday via EMS and Sally got it Monday afternoon, i.e. in 2 days)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mochiko42|1408539298|3736153 said:
Just a quick note. Sally can make a setting to mail to you and you can set it locally if you're worried about shipping stones to her.

I did not know that, thanks. I may consider her for a setting now!!!

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it! Sally will do it justice and I have a very similar one I will be sending her as well! Dana is the best!

kiwiflea

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone, he will be chuffed to hear he done so well :D

ilovegemstones - I look forward to seeing pics of how your ring turns out!

I will most definitely update once we have a bit more of an idea what to do with it!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL, Felice: I didn't know you were from AU!

kiwiflea

Rough_Rock
Well New Zealand actually :lol: but close enough! :wavey:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
"chuffed" is just not a word one hears in the US....LOL! my hubby is from AU and my sis-in-law uses the word.....

kiwiflea

Rough_Rock
This is on the way to me. Its a beautiful lotus ring from Sally in 18k rose gold, and should be here tomorrow!

It is for my engagement ring, and we are getting the wedding band now too. I will get to see it briefly before it goes off to be set, then I will have to wait patiently for it to be presented to me. ;(

Thank you for the recommendations for heart of water jewels!!! I fell in love with the original lotus design, I couldn't imagine anything more perfect for my engagement ring. I can't wait to have the finished ring on my finger!

image_3548.jpg
image_3549.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! The setting looked beautiful, please post the finished ring later on.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful setting, I can't wait to see pics of the set stone in there. :)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone and setting. Looking forward to admire your hand pics.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring will be gorgeous! Lucky girl. :)

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All the pieces are beautiful on their own and I can't wait to see the finished masterpiece!

kiwiflea

Rough_Rock
I will be back with hand shots as soon as I can. As exciting as this progress is, I hope I don't have to wait too long - we have had the stone for quite a while now and I want it on my finger :)

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
It'll turn out lovely, I love the stone and setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results