shape
carat
color
clarity

Oye! I give up. Now we need protection from sunscreen.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I grew up not thinking of the sun. I now know that was because a) I was ignorant and b) in an area with an average summer UV index of ~8, I could stay outside and not get overtly burnt.

Now, in a city where the summer UV index is regularly 14-15 (can't find anywhere in the States/North America that gets above 12), sunscreen isn't a choice. If you want any social life, or to enjoy the beautiful lifestyle afforded here, sunscreen is mandatory. Along with sunnies, a hat, and ample shade (when possible). Otherwise you are burnt in literally 10 minutes. Sunscreen use and sun avoidance is so ingrained that there are a good number of people who are Vit D deficient, and supplement themselves.

One thing I found interesting was: "SPF values are calculated based on a dose of about 1oz (30mL, or 2 tablespoons) for the entire body — much more than is typically used."

How much sunscreen does everyone use?? I bet I use 2 tablespoons on just the bottom half of my body!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is really old news.

I use as little sunscreen as possible. Generally, I use it only when and where I think I might burn. In the summer months I just use a dab when I remember on sun-sensitive areas of my face.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I live in S. Ca. and I wear a physical sunblock on my face, neck, and chest every single day, or else I'd be spotted and wrinkled like a cheetah/sharpei hybrid. I stay far away from chemical ones that run into my eyes and leave a film all over my eyeballs. They've been telling people to stay away from chemical sunscreens for years, this isn't new! That coppertone stuff you see advertised all over the place is absolute crap.

I check ingredients and products on this site before I buy a lot of stuff. It's not updated to include a lot of stuff, but you can look up active ingredients and make your own decision. For me, fragrance isn't much of an issue so if a product is docked for having fragrance, I can overlook it as long as the other stuff is fine. http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use physical sunscreens - other than whatever is in my makeup, but I so rarely wear foundation that I'm not worried about that. But I am so white that the white cast of the sunscreen looks perfecting on my face, lol. I burn in ten minutes flat at noon, and only tan if I have first burned, which I would really like not to do since I have a family history of skin cancer.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ForteKitty|1408516034|3736053 said:
I live in S. Ca. and I wear a physical sunblock on my face, neck, and chest every single day, or else I'd be spotted and wrinkled like a cheetah/sharpei hybrid. I stay far away from chemical ones that run into my eyes and leave a film all over my eyeballs. They've been telling people to stay away from chemical sunscreens for years, this isn't new! That coppertone stuff you see advertised all over the place is absolute crap.

I check ingredients and products on this site before I buy a lot of stuff. It's not updated to include a lot of stuff, but you can look up active ingredients and make your own decision. For me, fragrance isn't much of an issue so if a product is docked for having fragrance, I can overlook it as long as the other stuff is fine. http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

I'm going to just huge ditto FK's post. Physical sunblock is safe and none of this is new. I break out in a huge rash with any of the chemical sunscreens. The chemicals are harsh for some people. And the skin deep website has some useful info though I wouldn't take it all literally. Common sense should rule and hats can be your best friend when it comes to protection as well as Vitamin D3 supplementation.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I am very fair skinned so I have always used sunscreen, but it always made my skin itch, and red so I think I was having a reaction from the chemicals.

So anytime I went to the beach or on hot sunny summer days I cover up. I usually wear cardigans and sweater in the Hot south florida sun, and when I am at the beach I wear a dive skin and some shirts. to cover extra! No sunburns and no more itchy red areas on my body from the sunscreen

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am the poster child for avoiding the sun at all costs. I rarely use sunscreen, because I just don't ever put myself in a position to really need it. I do use it if I absolutely have to, but I'm really picky about it. Unfortunately, my avoiding the sun has left me (unknowingly until recently) severely Vitamin D deficient, so now I'm on a prescription supplement. I was avoiding the sun in the first place not just because of the usual risks. One of my meds makes me extremely photo sensitive. Lol. Fix one thing, break something else. :cheeky:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Titanium dioxide for me. I'm glad the nanoparticle for sunscreen was invented ( by one of my patients at Argonne Labs here in Chicago).

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1408528921|3736099 said:

I'm going to just huge ditto FK's post. Physical sunblock is safe and none of this is new. I break out in a huge rash with any of the chemical sunscreens. The chemicals are harsh for some people. And the skin deep website has some useful info though I wouldn't take it all literally. Common sense should rule and hats can be your best friend when it comes to protection as well as Vitamin D3 supplementation.

What are good physical sunscreens for the face?

Most sunscreens make me break out and so, for years, I have mostly just put sunscreen around my eyes (use an eye formula)...this summer, I used Origins Face SPF25 and it didn't make me break out. It's probably chemical! :(sad

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1408719861|3737514 said:
missy|1408528921|3736099 said:

What are good physical sunscreens for the face?

Most sunscreens make me break out and so, for years, I have mostly just put sunscreen around my eyes (use an eye formula)...this summer, I used Origins Face SPF25 and it didn't make me break out. It's probably chemical! :(sad

My two favorites- COTZ untinted for the face
http://www.keepyoungforever.com/cotz-sensitive-spf-40.html

http://www.keepyoungforever.com/cotz-pediatric-spf-40.html

and Vanicream spf 50+ for sensitive skin (replaced the spf 60 version)
http://www.coolibar.com/product/Vanicream-SPF-50-Sunscreen-4-oz/155607.uts?source=amazonproductads&CA_6C15C=120015460000011770

It goes on thicker than the COTZ but is also great for the face and very protective and safe IMO. Just want to say that I have not yet tried the new Vanicream since I have a few tubes of the spf 60 version left. Hopefully it is as good.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I generally like to avoid chemicals on the skin as much as possible, so our family only uses sunscreen if we know we'll be out in direct sunlight for prolonged periods of time (like on a beachy vacation), and even then it kind of depends. Living in the NW, this is less frequent than many other places. But none of us particularly like the sun or heat, so we tend to stay in the shade anyway, and DD and I don't burn (DH is quite fair though). I actually worry more about vitamin D deficiency living up here than I do about the harmful effects of the sun.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results