shape
carat
color
clarity

baby name re:SS list and popularity

Valoriejoy

Rough_Rock
Congratulations on your new miracle! :appl:

I named my first born after my Bisnonna. When my Bisnonna came to the US and arrived at Elis Island they made her change her name from Michelina to Margret so we picked Michalina and changed the e to an a to change it up a little. Her middle name is my FI's grandmother's middle name-May and we spell it Mae to update it and switch things up a little.

My second born is Lorelei Joy, the name has no family connection I simply love the way it sounds and rolls nicely together with joy; Lorelei Joy... Just sounds good to me.

Have fun choosing you new miracle's name :bigsmile:

May you be blessed always :angel:

ps

here is a brief list of girl names i love, maybe you'll love them too :love:

Francesca

Caroline

Ophelia

The above is my future go-to list in-case i ever have another girl :appl: :love: :angel:

My friends and family gave me a hard time with the name Ophelia, they strongly disliked it... Too bad it's MY #1 pick if i DO have another girl :naughty:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everybody for your insight.

We have lots of other names either of us like but this is the only one we both like together.

DH
Dorothy
Agnes
Agatha

Me
Celia
Georgia
Caroline

Then we have ones we both like but are a tad to out there.

Juniper
Tuesday
Coraline

So this was really the only one that ticked all the boxes but then snagged us up with popularity.

Also I think that nameberry lost liat was what people are SEARCHING not naming.

No one is getting named khaleesi (god I hope!). The nerd in me gets annoyed too because that's not even her name. Its daenerys

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I just looked up Josephine and it was number 160 for 2013, which meant it was given to .1045% of girls. That means that there is one Josephine for every 956 births. If an average classroom has 30 kids, that's more than 30 classrooms classrooms. That's A LOT of kids. Even if it doubled in popularity, you would still be looking at 15 classrooms to find one Josephine. Just something to think about.

To add to my previous comment of popular names not being as popular as they once were- the #1 girl name from 2013 was Sophia. It was given to 1.1039% of girls. To be fair, you would need to add in the alternate spelling Sofia, which was given to .4771% of girls (ranked #13). So that's a little over 1.5% of girls given the name Sophia/Sofia, or one for every 66 girls.

Now, look at 1980, where the most popular names was Jennifer. It was given to 3.2801% of girls, which comes out to one for every 30 girls. That means the most popular name of today is less than half as popular as the names in the past.

Another way of looking at it- the top 10 girl names in 1980 accounted for 16% of girls born that year; in 2013, the top 10 was less than 8%.

And now I need to get back to my real job :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80|1405460190|3713932 said:
I just looked up Josephine and it was number 160 for 2013, which meant it was given to .1045% of girls. That means that there is one Josephine for every 956 births. If an average classroom has 30 kids, that's more than 30 classrooms classrooms. That's A LOT of kids. Even if it doubled in popularity, you would still be looking at 15 classrooms to find one Josephine. Just something to think about.

To add to my previous comment of popular names not being as popular as they once were- the #1 girl name from 2013 was Sophia. It was given to 1.1039% of girls. To be fair, you would need to add in the alternate spelling Sofia, which was given to .4771% of girls (ranked #13). So that's a little over 1.5% of girls given the name Sophia/Sofia, or one for every 66 girls.

Now, look at 1980, where the most popular names was Jennifer. It was given to 3.2801% of girls, which comes out to one for every 30 girls. That means the most popular name of today is less than half as popular as the names in the past.

Another way of looking at it- the top 10 girl names in 1980 accounted for 16% of girls born that year; in 2013, the top 10 was less than 8%.

I found on the SS website that about 80 ish were named Josephine in my state last year. That's on average 1 per county though it doesn't exactly work that way as our population as well as demographics not at all spread evenly.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1405460349|3713933 said:

I found on the SS website that about 80 ish were named Josephine in my state last year. That's on average 1 per county though it doesn't exactly work that way as our population as well as demographics not at all spread evenly.

That makes it seem like a pretty safe choice. Even if it doubled in popularity, that would be 160 born in the entire state. I mean as long as you don't live in Wyoming or something :)

SMC

Ideal_Rock

Wow, super informative! All in all, Niel, I don't think that you have anything to be worried about if you like the name. It's so hard to find a name that both parents like!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SMC|1405460641|3713938 said:

Wow, super informative! All in all, Niel, I don't think that you have anything to be worried about if you like the name. It's so hard to find a name that both parents like!

Isn't it! Why can't it be like the Sims when I was 12 and I couldn name anybody anything I wanted. Lol

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
amc80|1405226112|3712330 said:
The thing to remember is the distribution of names is so much bigger that it used to be. I read a popular baby name blog and it's often a concern of people who write in, particularly those who grew up in the 80s. I remember having something like 2 Tiffanys, 3 Sarahs, and a fee Michaels. In each class. If you look at today's popular names (even the #1), they are much less popular. I forget the statistic but if you do the math, it's something like one kid per three classrooms would have the #1 name.

Barrett was like #6 on the fasting rising names list , but still pretty low (I think it cracked into the 200s that year), the year he was born. I've never met another Barrett and have met maybe one person who knows of a kid with the same name.
My best friend growing up had an older sister named Barrett. Not a mainstream name for sure, but I've always loved it too.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1405464671|3713993 said:
amc80|1405226112|3712330 said:
The thing to remember is the distribution of names is so much bigger that it used to be. I read a popular baby name blog and it's often a concern of people who write in, particularly those who grew up in the 80s. I remember having something like 2 Tiffanys, 3 Sarahs, and a fee Michaels. In each class. If you look at today's popular names (even the #1), they are much less popular. I forget the statistic but if you do the math, it's something like one kid per three classrooms would have the #1 name.

Barrett was like #6 on the fasting rising names list , but still pretty low (I think it cracked into the 200s that year), the year he was born. I've never met another Barrett and have met maybe one person who knows of a kid with the same name.
My best friend growing up had an older sister named Barrett. Not a mainstream name for sure, but I've always loved it too.

Ah I didn't even make the connection! A friend just had a baby yesterday and named it that!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Barrett is pretty for a girl. I like "boy" names switched to girl names. Like Elliot.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
packrat said:
Barrett is pretty for a girl. I like "boy" names switched to girl names. Like Elliot.
I do too to a certain extent. My friend had a baby girl named Logan which I thought was super cute. However, there are also girls named Michael - I'd draw the line there.

I was reading a Baby Center post and someone said they wanted to name her son "Zxander". As much as I don't like to judge people's choices, I feel like she should pick one letter or the other - the child does not need both.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SMC|1405472004|3714094 said:
packrat said:
I do too to a certain extent. My friend had a baby girl named Logan which I thought was super cute. However, there are also girls named Michael - I'd draw the line there.

I was reading a Baby Center post and someone said they wanted to name her son "Zxander". As much as I don't like to judge people's choices, I feel like she should pick one letter or the other - the child does not need both.

I'll admit I judge names. I shouldn't but I do. Particularly spellings. I don't think a too many names need more than 1y in them.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, *some* boy names for girl names, I shoulda said. Like...Bob, not so much for a girl. My Aunt's name is Roberta and she hates it, goes by her middle name, and ended up legally changing it to her middle name. She coulda been a Bert.

Names are fun.

Valoriejoy

Rough_Rock
Niel|1405456625|3713890 said:
Thanks everybody for your insight.

We have lots of other names either of us like but this is the only one we both like together.

DH
Dorothy
Agnes
Agatha

Me
Celia
Georgia
Caroline

Then we have ones we both like but are a tad to out there.

Juniper
Tuesday
Coraline

So this was really the only one that ticked all the boxes but then snagged us up with popularity.

Also I think that nameberry lost liat was what people are SEARCHING not naming.

No one is getting named khaleesi (god I hope!). The nerd in me gets annoyed too because that's not even her name. Its daenerys

OOOO I wish Daenerys would catch on! also, since you posted a list of "out there names" here is a couple more

Bailey (could go either boy or girl/dog? is it too dog namish; Bailey Lucky sound too close? lol) :cheeky:

Luna could arguably go either way

I know a juniper, she is only 2 yrs old, maybe "out there names" will start gaining popularity?

Scarlett1

Brilliant_Rock
I absolutely love the name Josephine, I think it is the nicest of your choices by far. I also love the nicknames Jo and Josie, both so cute and goes great with Mabel (also an adorable name)
I have a really unusual old Irish name. I have never met another one. People constantly mispronounce it when they first see it but I absolutely love it and love its uniqueness. However I did not want such an unusual name for my kids but like you didn't want a popular name either. Ds was easy. Me and Dh agreed on the name pretty much straight away, Charlie. It was an old family name on my dh's side and also at the time v low in popularity, didn't even score in the top 200. Most friends and family didn't like the name as they felt it was too old-fashioned for a baby and some said it should be Charles not Charlie. We loved it so stuck with it. Well 7 years on and it has leaped in popularity, I have taught 2 since (in a small school) and Ds has another Charlie in his class. I still love his name and am so glad I chose it.
Dd was another story. We could not agree on a name at all. My all time favourite name for a girl is Molly. When pregnant with ds I mentioned this to Dh and he absolutely hated the name so I didn't bring that name up at all when pregnant with dd. The names I loved; Daisy, Polly, Poppy, Phoebe...he couldn't stand and likewise with his choices. We eventually settled on Sarah-Jane untill about three days before she was born DH said "What about the name Molly". Well I ummed and ahhed a bit and said "ooh I don't know" secretly ecstatic!! So that's how my little Molly-Rose came about. Molly was an old family name on my side, and although it was ranked higher in popularity than Charlie at the time she was born (in the 100's I think) we have never met another one!!
Go with your instinct and what you love, popularity swings in roundabouts but it will be yours forever :)

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1405271305|3712554 said:
Rosebloom|1405270138|3712546 said:
Also if you do end up with a Josephine, you must recreate Josephine Bonaparte's totally amazing engagement ring. Baby bling anyone?

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/03/26/napoleon-and-josephines-engagement-ring-sold-at-auction-for-949000/

Eta pics
Smart woman!
If only there was a Mabel ring.

You guys are right in sure. I was on a popular baby name forum and it said a little less than 2k girls were named that last year. And its popular in states I don't live in. So I guess that's something.

My luck it'll all be for naught and it'll be a boy.

I love a challenge.

Here is a link to Princess Mabel's ring. A wide eternity with various shaped diamonds bezeled - kind of a modern cobblestone? Very cool. You could do something with gemstones too. :naughty:

http://www.modekoninginmaxima.nl/de-verlovingsring-van-prinses-mabel

_20347.jpg

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My sons have very popular names for over a century (till recently).. they love their names and feel they are part of something.. (their words)... in trying to pick unique names people create common names.. our dear friends have two girls 9 and 7 their names are: Sophia and Olivia!!! I think you should pick names you like.. truly, kids don't care, they don't sit around and say "dang, I'm the 3rd Jeffrey in my class" they just don't care.... If I were to have a daughter today I would name her: Eleanor.. (and I just recently read it's becoming popular! a name from the 1920s :hand: and if I had a boy I would name him Asher (another popular name) I like those names.. I like how they sound and how I think an Eleanor or Asher would be in life.. so name your child what you like and if it's the top name, then it's the top name.. you love him or her and remember your kid doesn't care.. most kids want to be part of, not apart of.

swingirl|1405224644|3712320 said:
We named my daughter after my mother. Very old traditional name popular in the 1800s. I didn't know another soul with that name. 25 years latter it is quite popular. My son, on the other hand has a common name and there were 3 in his class. The boys went by their first name and last initial and in kindergarten my son thought his real name was "first name, last initial, last name".

So, pick the name you love and want to hear day in and day out. You can't predict future popularity.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Tekate|1405638776|3715392 said:
My sons have very popular names for over a century (till recently).. they love their names and feel they are part of something.. (their words)... in trying to pick unique names people create common names.. our dear friends have two girls 9 and 7 their names are: Sophia and Olivia!!! I think you should pick names you like.. truly, kids don't care, they don't sit around and say "dang, I'm the 3rd Jeffrey in my class" they just don't care.... If I were to have a daughter today I would name her: Eleanor.. (and I just recently read it's becoming popular! a name from the 1920s :hand: and if I had a boy I would name him Asher (another popular name) I like those names.. I like how they sound and how I think an Eleanor or Asher would be in life.. so name your child what you like and if it's the top name, then it's the top name.. you love him or her and remember your kid doesn't care.. most kids want to be part of, not apart of.
This is a really good point. I always feel sorry for non-celebrity children (and celebrity children, sometimes, but then I remember they have millions of dollars) who have weird names. When I was in grade school in California (lots of hippies), I had a classmate named "Starr" who got made fun of a lot. Also, another classmate named "Ci*nnamon" (there is an actual asterisk in her name over the "i"), and she was also made fun of.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SMC|1405706791|3715982 said:
Tekate|1405638776|3715392 said:
This is a really good point. I always feel sorry for non-celebrity children (and celebrity children, sometimes, but then I remember they have millions of dollars) who have weird names. When I was in grade school in California (lots of hippies), I had a classmate named "Starr" who got made fun of a lot. Also, another classmate named "Ci*nnamon" (there is an actual asterisk in her name over the "i"), and she was also made fun of.

I agree kids want to feel " normal" but normal names aren't exactly the same as common names.

As someone who in fact did have 1-3 kids on her class each year with the same name,I can say I'd have rather had a "normal" name that was my own over a common name. Or an abnormal unique name.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I kinda think we're screwed no matter what. I hated my name when I was growing up. My mom spelled it different, Missi instead of Missy. Pissy Missi. Messy Missi. Ugh. In my baby book it says other names considered were Lisa, Tiffany...and Jamian (Jay-me-in)..I thought that was SO pretty. There was one Jamie in our entire school K-12-happened to be in my class haha. But still, certainly no girls named Jamian. My husband's sister's name is Jamie. So..now I'm glad it's not my name but jeez. Jamian is much more interesting and pretty sounding than Missi. And if she'd named me Jamian, I'd probably have hated it b/c..I don't know why, just to be contradictory I suppose. Parents can't get it right!

And London has asked a couple times how and why I gave her that name. She wants to be Claire. Which is a beautiful name, and I've only known one little girl who doesn't live in the area anymore. I tried to explain that words sometimes make pictures in a persons head, or make them feel a certain way, and her name makes me think of yellow and flowers and far away places. Or certain words are fun/nice to say, they feel good when you say them.

Heck, I put just as much thought into naming our pets as I did my kids. Some of the pets I had names for before we even had them.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter has a student named La-a. (Ladasha) Seriously. My new granddaughter will be Harper or Holland.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I like Holland-very pretty. There is an Ireland here in town.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results