Is this halo too bulky and big?

• Yes - Redo the halo with smaller stones

Votes: 62 93.9%
  • No - It is a good engagement ring

Votes: 4 6.1%

• Total voters

kobeisanexpert

Rough_Rock
I went to a pawn shop to see how much I could sell the ring for.. 25% of what i paid so forget that idea!

With your advice I have gone ahead and emailed the jeweler and told him my exact issues with the ring. Instead of asking for a refund though I just asked if he can re-do the ring the way it was supposed to be in the first place.

I told him the execution was done poorly and not up to my standards or specifications and it looks too bulky. Hopefully there is no problem and they will re make this ring and it will look nice.

Once I hear back I will send an update. Ideally I just want this ring to be made specifically how I wanted it with a delicate double halo to look dainty and nice and I do not want to incur anymore costs.

Take a look at the pics here. One is the finished product and the other is the Soleste ring I wanted replicated.

20140818_0.jpg

soleste.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very different. And good job. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

kobeisanexpert

Rough_Rock
Thanks Gypsy and everyone for the input.

They are going to look into it and said they will re-do the ring for me.

What size of stones should I do? Just half pointers in both double halos and in the band and shank? Or should they all be different sizes? Let me know your thoughts on how to make it look best with that size stone. I could even get a larger stone, but I am hesistant to spend anymore money with them just in case in comes out not the way I wanted again.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think these pictures below are similar to the look that 1/2 pointers will give you. My concern is most jewelers can't execute pave with 1/2 pointers so I don't want you to be disappointed.

image_2167.jpg

348s.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also send them this:
_18987.jpg

And tell them you want you halo to step down like that one. Not be a flat plate.

kobeisanexpert

Rough_Rock
Ok I will give these pictures for reference.

I sent a few pictures showing the "flat" surface and did ask if the jeweler had the skill to do delicate micro pave and he says they do this all the time and are exceptional at doing pave so I guess will see how it works out.

I think half point stones in the halo's and in the shank will look nice if they can execute well and of course giving that step look as you mentioned will be nice. Hopefully it all works out.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tell them to do 1/2 pointers.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would it also be possible to ask that the prongs holding the center stone be made to look like the Tiffany ring you pictured?

kobeisanexpert

Rough_Rock
Ok Gypsy half pointers it will be. Calliecake, what do you mean by prongs on the center stone? How do they differ and could you post a picture for me? I would like to provide the jeweler with as much info, specs, and pictures as possible to re-do the ring.

As you can tell from the thread I do not know much about this stuff -- learning though :)

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, First and foremost please listen to Gypsy and the others. When reading your thread I noticed the prongs looks large and ball like. Not delicate and single claw like the Tiffany prongs. I went to Tiffany's website and looked at the prongs on the Soleste. They look delicate. They also have a hand drawing of the ring in the engagement ring section under Tiffany Soleste. Victors Canera and Steven Kirsch halo's also have delicate single claw prongs.

The only reason I responded to this post is I have an engagement ring with prongs like the ring you purchased. They have always bothered me.

Gypsy, If you think I'm wrong, please tell me to but out. You know how much I respect your opinions.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The picture of the ring Gypsy posted above has delicate single claw prongs.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I'm on my phone so I can't really see the pictures but I think I see what CC is talking about. Tell them to shave it down and claw the prongs.

Honestly I hate to be the kill joy but I'm of the mind set if they do it right the first time then they probably just can't do it. however with that said you should really protect yourself. Find out what happens if the 2nd reiteration doesn't come up to your standards (which I"m hoping it will!!!). Do you get a refund? Will they continue to remake it?

Do they do CADs? And ask them if the halo is tilted. I know on a single halo they typically tilt it 25 degrees. On a double halo it is slightly less. It really varies on each ring, but regardless to get rid of the flying saucer look every halo should be tilted to some degree.

kobeisanexpert

Rough_Rock
Ok thank you, i understand what you mean by the prongs now and now to acheive the small claw look.

I am hoping they can do it better the second time. I do not know much about CAD or how that works, I just think these guys go off of pictures and said they make these kind of rings regularly. How would I ask them to tilt the halos? Just ask them to tilt the halos outward slight?

I will try to bring as many pictures as possible when I go back and will bring some examples. When I go there I will also discuss with them what will happen if it is not up to standard the second time, but I am really hoping it doesnt come to that.

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Why leave it to 'hope' that they don't screw up a second time? I think the best evidence you have of their quality is the (sub-par) ring you have with you. Ask for guarantees that you'll be happy or receive a full refund. I would insist on a written guarantee of refund if they don't deliver what you were promised - a replica of the (Tiffany) sample.

If I may ask, what are your reasons for giving them another chance? If you're really determined, go back to the jeweler and ask to see examples of past work they have completed. Take photos, on PS side by side with your ring. Good luck!

kobeisanexpert

Rough_Rock
Well I have a business relationship with the jeweler so I am trying to balance it delicately, but knowing that if it were reversed and he werent happy with my work I would hear about it equally. But I know as a vendor he would not just dump be right away and would give me the chance and time to rectify and discrepancy. - Another lesson learned here about mixing business with personal, but we won't go there.

I think the best thing I can do is take the opinions, advice, pictures, specs from everyone on this form who has been so helpful and rely on the jeweler that he is able to create the replica that I was after. Regarding the refund I will have that discussion when we meet and I am reasonable enough to just ask to have the diamonds refunded and I will absorb some or all of the cost of the ring work because he did put the labour into doing it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's the best illustration of the prongs use this picture. These are nice prongs.

r5598-halo-sapphire-ring-d.jpg

cushion-cut-micro-pave-engagement-rings-on-hand-close-up-43.jpg

1549943.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
When claw prongs are done right, they are great. I have them on my ring. They do not snag or anything.

And yes, in general most people we see that have complications are from people who went to 'friend' jewelers.

kobeisanexpert

Rough_Rock
Those look really nice I will use that picture. What were your thoughts about angled halos as mentioned? Is that something g that should be done?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The CAD image above (the one told you to show them for the tiers) also shows a halo with small amount of tile. So yes, I think that's a good thing. But it may not be possible to get that much tilt with half pointers. My halo is 1/2 pointers and it is tilted but not as much as the below. It's just not possible. And also with a double halo you probably won't get a ton of tilt on the inner halo. And so that means the outer halo will be the one tilted a bit.

This is what that means: file.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Just ask if they do CADs. Have them send you the CADs pictures and post here. That way we can suggest changes before the ring is cast a second time.

Pave is an art form. Just because jewelers can do it and do it all the time doesn't mean it is done well. the most important thing to know about pave is when it is not done well you will see more metal and you have a much higher chance of pave popping out. I actually have a big issue with my Tiffany ring has the pave pops out more then I would like so I just don't wear it anymore. So once again even Tiffany can screw up. Brand is not always synonymous with quality.

kobeisanexpert

Rough_Rock
So I was able to speak with the jeweler and he has no problem at all remaking the ring with smaller stones. I am going to show him all fo the pictures from this thread and point out some of the specifics I would like. He will do some CAD for me so I can post pictures ahead of time before getting it made.

I also asked about getting a larger diamond since many of you on here have said that a 1 carat is too small for a double halo. He has a 1.52 Carat F colour SI1 that is an excellent cut and GIA. Right now I have a 1 carat G Colour VS1 that is excellent GIA.

In everyones opinion should I stick with the 1 carat or go with the 1.52 that is SI1? Is ther a big difference that I will notice between SI1 and VS1?

Thanks!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No. If both are eyeclean there is no difference. But make sure the performance is good on the stone. Don't just swap them out.

kobeisanexpert

Rough_Rock
Thanks Gypsy.. What do you mean by the performance?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Need to post the specifications from the GIA cert. Crown angle, pavilion angle, table and depth. You can't buy just going by the color and clarity of the stone - the cut quality is the most important part. Have you ever used the HCA under tools at the top of the page? Ideally, you are looking for a stone that gets a 2 and under on the HCA.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1408743366|3737768 said:
Need to post the specifications from the GIA cert. Crown angle, pavilion angle, table and depth. You can't buy just going by the color and clarity of the stone - the cut quality is the most important part. Have you ever used the HCA under tools at the top of the page? Ideally, you are looking for a stone that gets a 2 and under on the HCA.

It's a cushion though, so that's a whole new ballgame... ::) He really needs an ASET.

kobeisanexpert

Rough_Rock
Yes the HCA was not working for my cushion cut.

The spec of the current diamond I have are as follows:
1 carat
G color
VS1 clarity
Depth 68.7%
Table 57%
Girdle med to vtk, F
Culet non
Polish excellent
symmetry very good
Fluorescent none
Measurements are 6.08x5.66x3.89 mm

This is the current diamond. Would you say that it's good quality?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kobeisanexpert|1408746332|3737794 said:
Yes the HCA was not working for my cushion cut.

The spec of the current diamond I have are as follows:
1 carat
G color
VS1 clarity
Depth 68.7%
Table 57%
Girdle med to vtk, F
Culet non
Polish excellent
symmetry very good
Fluorescent none
Measurements are 6.08x5.66x3.89 mm

This is the current diamond. Would you say that it's good quality?

OP, I really think you should politely scrap the project with this jeweler. There are just too many unknowns and possible causes for error... translation: subpar bench work that probably won't live up to your expectations.

Honestly, I wouldn't have him try again. The halo with the 1 pointers are easier to manage, so what's he gonna do with 1/2 pointers?? Also, ask yourself how you'll handle it if you're not happy the second go-round? It's one thing to say you're not happy once, but to have to say it again after the jeweler has made the piece twice is kinda pointless, KWIM? :|

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Numbers, dimensions and specs are meaningless with cushions. You just have to see the thing and compare it to others and make sure it is a bright and well performing stone.

If the jeweler has an ASET or knows what one is, he can take and image and then I can tell you if it is a good performer. But the chances of this jeweler having that ability are slim.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay guys honestly... while that halo isn't what PS regulars would pick, and it's clunky by our standards, is it really "subpar"? Like, it looks decent. It looks better than 80% of halos out there. Now, we don't have macro pics, but it looks like the stones are set evenly and the beads holding them in place are fine. While the ring may not have the aesthetic refinement we look for, I bet it would be fine for the vast majority of people. I dunno, maybe y'all are seeing something different than I am. But to me it looks decently made if aesthetically clunky. (And yes, just because the jeweler can work with this size melee doesn't mean he can work with smaller. I know that.)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Distracts, I agree. I think one re-work is fine. I would want a warranty for at least a year so that if there are problems they'll stand behind it. But if the re-work is aesthetically pleasing, great. But if it's not, or if there are other issues with the second version... then it's time for a refund. That's all I am saying.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results