shape
carat
color
clarity

My New Tourmaline and Thank You PS

kimpnoth

Rough_Rock
This is just a quick post. I am tired, but if I don't do it now, who knows when I'll get to it.

Y'all answered a number of questions about amethyst and tourmaline. I went looking and found a tourmaline that pleases me greatly. Some really bad pictures below. I was never good at photography, let alone gems.

I found some lovely amethysts -- but they were just too big, so I will continue to look.

Y'all also cautioned me about the durability of the quartz family, and I thank you for that. But tourmaline, in particular, has some properties that make it especially pleasing to me. I do own a few spinels and a sapphire, so I have something to wear on more careless or informal days. The jeweler (also a rock hound) tells me he can create a ring setting that will provide good protection.

I have more pictures, but these are probably the best, and show the color the best. I think I chose pics in natural light, florescent, and incandescent. I will label them when I upload.

Stone:

Cut from old Nigerian rough
Do not know if it was heated, but the cutter did not heat it, and based on some research, I would suspect not, but don't care.
9 mm x 9mm x 6
Dark Pinkish Red
Holds color in all light, miniscule change in incandescent -- and I'm not even sure if the light or the room.

Constructive & instructive comments on the stone are welcome, but I'm keepin' it. Liked it very much at first sight. Living with it has only made me like and appreciated it more.

Thank you, again. I am looking forward to doing a little more sharing and a lot more learning here.

cam00034.jpg

cam00044.jpg

cam00046.jpg

cam00050.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty color. I love them with that slight purply modifier -- gives the color a tinge of earthiness that's so attractive. Really happy you found a stone you love -- the fact that you like it more after living with it is a super indication of a great choice!

--- Laurie

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very Pretty, I would love to see the faceting a little more. Do you have more up close pictures? who did you purchase this from? Its such a great size and shape! Congrats and welcome to PS :appl:

kimpnoth

Rough_Rock
Oooh a request for more bad pictures! Thank you. It's a simple cushion cut. I think Pic 1 shows the cut (but not the real color). Pic 2 is in florescent, pic 3 in incandescent. The stone really fit the bill for me. It is the size, shape, cut and a color I enjoy. I really wanted a purple stone just like this one . . . . but I think the hunt for purple goes on.

It's from Westview Gems

_8877.jpg

_8996.jpg

cam00045.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thx for the pix!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice!. I really like the size and my fav "look" are in LED and the incandescent lighting. Do you have an idea how you will set?

kimpnoth

Rough_Rock
None of the pictures capture the actual color -- but you know that.

I'm not sure how I will set it. I like simple, clean, classic lines with a little funk. I love rose gold. But for some reason the dark pinks/reds seem to be asking for white gold -- I think the softer, warmer white. It will be a solitaire. For me, it will always be a solitaire. I have a tiny diamond in rose gold that can be paired with almost anything and I have a bigger moiss(achoo)nite (it was a great deal LOOONG before I knew about colored stones, it's big, I like the fire and I'm not giving it up) that also gets paired with a few rings. I also have some spinels that may make mates for tourmaline , so perhaps they can accompany each other, if the setting for the tourmaline is done right. I am also conscious that the tourmaline will need a little extra protection built into the setting.

I have seem some fabulous solitaire settings here. I'll have to look again. If any come to mind, please send them to me or me to them. I will also enlist the jeweler I use, but he also likes to have some idea of what I want before heading off on the design.

The demo for my bathroom remodel was today, and my upper most thought right now is "please, just shoot me".

Thank you.

Kim

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results