shape
carat
color
clarity

Tahitian Pearl: Buyer Beware TERRIBLE experience with vendor

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
I purchased a Tahitian for several hundred dollars from http://tahiti-pearl-online.com/.. It was described and pictured as a 12.3mm "rare silver pink" and the picture was exactly that. I was sent a plain silver with an ugly yellow green cast. Awful. Just beside myself.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Re: Tahitian Pearl: Buyer Beware TERRIBLE experience with ve

What did they say when you emailed them to say you are unhappy with the pearl. They seem to have a reasonable return policy.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock

I remember you starting a thread a while back looking for trusted vendors. Just saying.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock

no reply...

Kay

Ideal_Rock

If they do not reply to your request to return the pearl, then you should contact your credit card company to dispute the charge because the merchandise was not as described.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock

NacreLover|1408269265|3734134 said:
I remember you starting a thread a while back looking for trusted vendors. Just saying.

yes i did. I reached out to all of them and was underwhelmed by all of them. no one really went out of their way to find what I was looking for. It was more like--here is what we have that is closest to what you want.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock

Kay|1408288431|3734201 said:
If they do not reply to your request to return the pearl, then you should contact your credit card company to dispute the charge because the merchandise was not as described.

i guess you are right.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience. Tahitians often don't look anything in real life like they do in light box photos online. It can be so disappointing. How long ago did you email? I might suggest contacting them by phone to arrange a refund. If they refuse, I'd call the credit card company like others have suggested, but I wouldn't assume anything until you have spoken to someone there.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock

bgray|1408292519|3734244 said:
NacreLover|1408269265|3734134 said:

yes i did. I reached out to all of them and was underwhelmed by all of them. no one really went out of their way to find what I was looking for. It was more like--here is what we have that is closest to what you want.
Sorry you were underwhelmed but I think the point you are missing is that pearls are made by a living creature not mined from the earth cut and polished by man. With each harvest the farmer has no clue what he will find when he opens up the oyster if he finds anything at all. What you want just might not be availiable this year and maybe next year too.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Send another email , sometimes these things just get overlooked. Definitely cancel the card payment. If nothing else that will get their attention.

As to being 'underwhelmed' I agree totally with 4RanchGirl . I know myself from going to the HK show where there are thousands and thousands of strands ... that sometimes exactly what you want is just not there at the time you want it. The HK show in September is approaching rapidly, I would suggest requesting someone to search for the pearl or strand that you are looking for. Be sure to give them a budget and the exact information. Size, shape, colour,grade.

Have you checked on Kojima? She often has loose Tahitians as does Agustus Antiques / Eastern Trade Winds. Both are very reputable.

I had a quick look at the web site you used..they seem pretty expensive tbh.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock

I don't think you can cancel a CC payment when you have their merchandise. Dispute, yes. Sven (Agustus) is in Bali. There is more than one reason many of us choose to do business with trusted vendors in our own country. Many of us have things on vendors shopping lists when they head out in Sept. Perhaps you will ask them to find you what you're looking for.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock

bgray - Sorry about your disappointing experience. I agree with the others, follow-up with another email and see what kind of buyer protection your credit card offers. And if there are pearls you really want contact one of the vendors mentioned throughout these posts and they might keep an eye out for them.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium

bgray: I was wondering if you had any luck returning your pearl? I was hoping that you might have gotten a response by now...

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Hi
I agree with Katbran. The pearls seem to be a bit pricey for grade, although there is, of course, a provenance premium.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock

cmd2014|1408658567|3737105 said:
bgray: I was wondering if you had any luck returning your pearl? I was hoping that you might have gotten a response by now...

nope totally non responsive

Kay

Ideal_Rock

bgray|1408729147|3737592 said:

Did you buy with a credit card? Call your CC company, tell them the seller sent you merchandise that does not match what you ordered and that you have attempted to return the merchandise using the merchant's return policy, but they are not responding to your requests to make a return. I find that sellers become more responsive once the CC company contacts them.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock

Kay|1408729864|3737597 said:

Did you buy with a credit card? Call your CC company, tell them the seller sent you merchandise that does not match what you ordered and that you have attempted to return the merchandise using the merchant's return policy, but they are not responding to your requests to make a return. I find that sellers become more responsive once the CC company contacts them.

+1 to this

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ckrickett|1408731677|3737623 said:
Kay|1408729864|3737597 said:

+1 to this

+2. I had a furniture store take my deposit on a $$$ dining room set once and then go out of business the next day (stealing everyone's money), and my CC refunded me my money off of my card. Most cards offer consumer protection services.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

The card handling company does the refund from the funds they hold from the retailer, just to clarify. Enough complaints and they will close the account. One reason to beware of a seller who takes only paypal..it is a way to keep trading.
Paypal is much more open to frauds than a direct card transaction.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results