clarity

Thrilled with new restringing products from Pattye

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My hands must be more calloused! :lol:

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much NacreLover for the review and the update! This comes just in time to remind me to order some new Beader's Secret in a whole new colour. To go with my new Golden South Sea pearls!
Probably either Gold or Sun (accordingly to my handy dandy colour chart!). Thanks to Pattye, for both the chart, the Beader's Secret and the purple pearls!

Here's a few pics.

Two birthday presents, the Golden South Seas and the fabulous beading tray that I used to sort them into a graduated strand! I'm actually not sure which present I like more! :lol:
As soon as I unwrapped the tray (from a fabulous friend!), I immediately wanted to start using it. Once I did (after the birthday guests had gone home!), I wanted a second one!

PS. I already have about five colours of Beader's Secret: shell pink, sky blue, mist, cream and white, IMHR.

_12661.jpg

_12662.jpg

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
And while we're on the subject of stringing pearls, I have a question for Pattye (and other pearl experts):
What do you think about using the little spacer beads (2mm) to cover the knots between larger pearls? I see that Catherine Cardellini does that quite often.
Advantages? Disadvantages?
Does it protect the thread? Do they rub against the pearls?
Now that I'm about to string a few strands of larger pearls I'm considering it.

Thanks!

And apologies to NacreLover for the threadjack! :)

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think of it more as a style issue-- if you like the look, go for it. As for myself, I am not partial to seeing metal beads between pearls; I like them between gemstone beads sometimes, though. It's a matter of personal taste.

I expect the beads would come in contact with the pearls, and metal is harder than nacre. Over time I could see the beads causing mild wear on the pearls near the drill holes. Additionally, my experience is that gold filled findings tarnish faster than 14k gold does (but not as fast as silver does.) When they tarnish, they will be hard to clean, since they are adjacent to pearls.

The thread does not need to be protected. Eventually, when the thread is worn, you can restring.

My opinion, anyway.

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Pearlsngems!
Trying to decide which way to go.
I might do a mock up with spacers and see if that helps.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I use 14k beads and Argentium silver beads many times when remodeling my strands. Metal beads most times have different size holes than the pearls so knots slide inside the holes when strung. Also, I have heard that the sharp edge on the hole can saw your silk and cause failure on the strand. (I change mine out often and haven't encountered that. ) Also, if you are using a beader's tool or knot tightly the walls of hollow beads can collapse if you knot tightly. Bad if you're using precious metal beads. I agree cleaning is a real problem, that's why I only buy 14k or higher beads. Even the Argentium silver which is "supposed to be tarnish free" tarnishes even stored in Pacific silver cloth bags in a safe. I never had trouble when living in a arid area, but the humidity of the deep south seeps in everywhere.

When I just restrung my baby blue akoya rope I added 14k 3mm yellow gold beads occasionally in a pattern so the necklace coordinates with the findings on the matching dangle diamond earrings I got from PP. Those pearls look better with white gold which is what I had used last time I restrung them but then discovered they didn't match the earrings so I haven't worn them. If you don't want the bead to slip inside the hole you can buy Quad spacers and put them next to the bead to hold the knot and add decorative interest to the strand. They come in many colors in precious metals. http://www.riogrande.com/Product/14K-Yellow-Gold-2mm-Quad-Spacer-Bead/645505?Pos=5

PS, The gold beaders secret matches perfectly the medium gold south sea pearls, if you want more contrast, Sun is much more bright color crayon yellow.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I used Beaders Secret to knot a long "harvest ' strand of Tahitians. Pattye was so very helpful when I pm'd her store to ask about the colours. I ordered 3 shades of grey (not 50) , the shell pink, the evergreen (very nice dark green) , a rose colour and pale pink (again very pretty) that I thought might work with the ripples I have to knot...someday....cream, mist plus black and white. As I'm in Australia and shipping is always an issue I tend to roll the dice and place a decent order to make it worth while. This product is great, so easy to knot. Just takes a little getting used to if you've used PP like I have... certainly is a lot easier on the fingers ! Knot slides really nicely. Best knotting I've ever done.

In fact , this reminded me...I meant to order more of that grey..soon as I remember which one it was.. storm? hmmmmm

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Does this header's secret thread only come in one size? How do you handle larger drill hole? I just want to double my thread, not quadruple. I believe most tahitians and South Sea pearls have larger drill holes, at least .7mm. Power Pro size 20 lb is too small for most of my Tahitian pearls. The knots slip through the holes. I normally use 50 lb.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HHPmom, this question came up on the other forum and was answered on the stringing tutorial, post 58.

Pattye said: "Beaders Secret does come in a heavier size, which I've experimented with; is it considerably heavier and doesn't make a tidy knot because of the hard finish of the thread. It also comes in finer sizes~Beaders Secret is actually a commercial sewing thread from Europe, adopted for pearl stringing. So there might be times when you would choose heavier (or finer) silk or powerpro to fit the hole size."

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I think she told me to use 3 strands. I haven't had to do it yet.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How would you use an odd number of strands?

Pattye

Shiny_Rock
Trade
pearlsngems|1387038735|3574148 said:
How would you use an odd number of strands?

Hi Everyone :wavey: , Just popped over and saw this discussion. Here's a few thoughts:

How I use 3 threads: (always test to see if the drill hole is truly too large for the double thread.) If so, here are 2 options. If anyone else has suggestions, great! I realize photos would help to illustrate, but I am g'kid and g'dog sitting today and just came home to get out an order, perhaps I can add them later.

1. Run a single thread through first. I don't put it through the gimp covering the clasp, but pick the thread up and drop it before the ending pearls. You'll have to figure out where is best to do this. The rest of the time it is knotted in with the other 2 threads.

2. Load your needle with the doubled thread, and then the single thread (with a short tail) Works well with some drill holes, but not all, as some needles are a bit thick + 4 threads going through. One has to check it. Smoothing the threads as you load the pearls and knot will reduce any chances of a kink or twist getting caught inside the pearl that could cause a redo.

I do have *some* colors in a lighter weight Beaders Secret #40, which can be used as 2 completely doubled threads, so one is working with 4 threads. This lighter weight thread can also be used as one thread doubled if bead/pearl holes are really tiny. Gosh, I hope this makes sense. I haven't listed the #40 weight, because the #30 works really well for most pearls and seed beads. The lighter weight would seldom be the preferred choice. If anyone feels they have a need for or wants to try the finer thread, please message me either via etsy or the other forum.

There were a couple more questions~

Spacer beads~Seems like I checked once and 18K and 22K are about the same hardness as pearl, maybe just a little harder. I use a loupe and check the finish of beads for sharp edges that could wear the thread and scratch the pearl.

Using spacers allows one to pull off a couple of the best pearls for earrings and still have the necessary length for the necklace without purchasing an additional strand. (And brings another decorative element.

If care is taken when choosing spacers, the chance for damage seems very small, but certainly one wants to consider the value of the pearls and if the risk is worth it.

GOLD is probably the preferred color for stringing golden South Sea Pearls. :)

Many thanks to each of you, both beginning and more experienced knotters, for trying Beaders Secret and sharing your experiences. It is truly a pleasure to see and hear about your projects!! :appl: As someone who learned this skill only 5 years ago, I know what an exciting new world opens up when one can knot! :D

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'm just reading the technique for using the three threads. I think I'm confused. What do you mean by drop it near the end? And then pick it up with the doubled thread...so you have three strands on the needle and one strand thru the pearls? In the end you have 4 strands in the pearls? You can see I'm a muddled mess lol

Pattye

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I'll take some photos tomorrow, I promise, which hopefully will show more clearly what I do. I'm a very visual person, so I completely understand if what I wrote is confusing.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
thank you Pattye. I've been thinking about this thread all day and trying to imagine just what you're telling us to do.

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I'm imagining that you start with a doubled thread like normal, all the way up to your first knot. At that point, string a single new thread through that first pearl and include it with the other two to make your knot. Now you have three strands which will stay together because of knotting. Prior to finishing with the clasp and gimp at the other end, snip out the third strand so you just have two again and they can easily move through the gimp. Eh? :read: :loopy:

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks Pattye, much appreciated. I'm so visual that I need the concrete image to process what's happening lol

Pattye

Shiny_Rock
Trade
p1010675_exposure.jpg

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I'm imagining that you start with a doubled thread like normal, all the way up to your first knot. At that point, string a single new thread through that first pearl and include it with the other two to make your knot. Now you have three strands which will stay together because of knotting. Prior to finishing with the clasp and gimp at the other end, snip out the third strand so you just have two again and they can easily move through the gimp. Eh? :read: :loopy:

Bluebirrrd, yes, that is a great explanation! :appl: I'm hoping this photo will help. These are actually south sea pearls with a very large hole.

Imagine the gimp and clasp are attached. The first pearl is added, then knot # 1 is made with 2 threads only.

Add the 3rd (blue) thread to the needle after making knot #1 with 2 strands only, add a pearl, then knot all 3 threads together at #2. Add additional pearls and knot as usual to the ending pearls, carry thead through one last pearl and pull 3rd (blue) thread out of the needle, add the last few pearls and finish as usual. (I always leave a 2-3 inch tail when adding or dropping a thread. When finishing the necklace the tail is trimmed and a dot of glue added if one wishes.)

-------------------------------------------
Another option: If the needle threaded like this doesn't fit through the pearl hole, run the single thread through the the pearls first, then the double thread. Knot the 3 threads together except for the start and finish. Yes, it is rather annoying and more time consuming to do this. Please do ask if you have more questions. In the beginning I thought there would be a consistent formula for knotting pearls, but it isn't always so.

Pattye

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Many thanks to all who are using Beaders Secret, including NacreLover, PearlsnGems, Periwinklegirl, LtypeI, Jenncent, Katbran, Bluebirrrd. :appl: I truly appreciate your questions, comments and feedback.

Please let me know if you need more photos. In the examples I am using the next heavier thread, size 20, and did not pull the knot tightly.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
ahhhhhhhhh....Thanks so very much for that Pattye !!!!! .... great photos and explanation..... it's funny...that's more or less how I ended up knotting the long Tahitian Harvest Strand. I did have trouble getting the multiple strands through the holes so had to use two needles..one with single strand then follow with the double. It all worked out and it's just as well it was a bit slower as I didn't make any mistakes...48 inches ... don't want to screw it up ...

I'll get more practice with your method as I just sold my two beautiful harvest strands..the tri colour SS/Tahitian and the allTahitian to a very nice man who bought one for the wife and one for his daughter...now to finished them off before xmas. Good thing I bought a lot of thread Pattye !!!! lol ;-)

Pattye

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Katbran,

Congratulations on your nice sales! :appl: I saw a photo of one of the multicolor baroque Tahitian strands, so pretty! Yes, I've done it with 2 needles also, just as you did. Thankfully, most of the time, using 2 threads works well.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the photo and explanations Pattye. I made this and the picture a word file in my documents to refer to later when I give it a try.
By the way, I used the OLIVE BS on my multi color Tahitian pearl necklaces and bracelet and the FORREST on my bright sea green strand and two Cherry Tahitian strands. I had to open a knot on one pearl and picking it open was much easier than doing this with silk. One other thing I noticed. I had pulled out about 200 inches of BS to work on the necklaces and bracelet. When I was done I had maybe 40 inches left on the needle. If I had been using silk there would be fraying of the silk from the friction going though all those pearls, the BS was just like new even up by the needle.

LtypeI

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks so much for the info, Pattye, that's really helpful! I've been making bigger knots when I have larger holes, but tripling the thread will look better I think. Wonderful!

I'll message you about the smaller Beader's Secret, that'll be great for seed bead projects. I'm so glad you mentioned it!

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Whew!!! It's been a knotting weekend for me. First I reknotted the Tahitian rope from PP's August sale using 50 lb Power Pro. My poor fingers. Then I reknotted the Sea of Cortez strand using Pattye's pink Beader's Secret thread.

Beader's Secret doesn't fray and twist like silk. I am comparing to Gudebrod brand. The knots are neat. It's also easy to undo the knot if you make a mistake. The thread stays in tact and does not fray like silk after unraveling. I had to double knot because of the drill hole size. Thank you Pattye. :D

I also used Thread Zapper to seal the knot at the beginning and end. Because Beader's Secret is polyester the heat seals it just like Power Pro and there is no black mark on the thread. I did not zap too long though.

soc_with_beaders_secret.jpg

soc_and_tah_rope_knotting.jpg

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
NacreLover|1387358312|3576694 said:
I had to open a knot on one pearl and picking it open was much easier than doing this with silk. One other thing I noticed. I had pulled out about 200 inches of BS to work on the necklaces and bracelet. When I was done I had maybe 40 inches left on the needle. If I had been using silk there would be fraying of the silk from the friction going though all those pearls, the BS was just like new even up by the needle.

I concur.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Looks fantastic! I am so impressed by your abilities!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Great work Hhpmom. I have been loving Olive with my Tahitians. Single color greens and multi color strands. I bought wine to use with the cherry Tahitians but olive loved them too. At the ruckus I picked up my next order of beaders secret and Pattye had some sample colors so I am testing Oak and Fog. I haven't tried them yet but am going to use one of them next time I restring my multi color T bracelet. In the "OLD" days when I used silk I had to restring every 3 months or so. Now that I am using BS they just don't stretch out any longer even with heavy or well used items. It seems now the only reason to restring is to change the look from ropes to two strands or to add beads or gems to the strands. I also got some new needles from Pattye. The eye is the whole needle and the ends are closed. Who can't thread a three inch wide hole!!!!! Love these needles and will be ordering more from her.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I use those same needles Nacre, they are great. I have found that I need to move the thread around a bit as I go along so that it's not pulling against the same spot as I pull it through the pearl. These needles seem a bit more likely to cut the thread, perhaps because they are quite fine... not sure.

Those are some gorgeous pearls !

I like Storm - nice dark grey Mist - nice mid grey and I bought a big spool of Grey - lighter grey... hmmmm I seem to use a lot of greys ..

Also Forrest - nice dark green
Shell - very nice soft pale pink
and of course Cream, White, Charcoal

It's good stuff, no doubt about it. I do wish they made a slightly slightly thicker one though .. it would be perfect then. :love:

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the heads up on the needle wear, I will watch for that. I had been using collapsible needles but was having trouble with them at the end of the strands when you have to go back though the last 3-4 pearls to end. The two strands of wire were coming untwisted and get hung up on the BS inside the pearls. I had NO problem with these big eye needles. They also stay straight and don't bend out of shape like the twisted wire. I also love Shell BS. It seems to work well with multi color freshwater pearls and compliments their colors.

This last order was many of the same colors I already had but in a finer gauge of Beaders secret. I too wish it was a little thicker especially for Tahitians. I have used Pattye's technique for 3 strands on very large Tahitians. Pearl girls are so great about sharing helpful tips.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you NacreLover and katbran. Can we see picture of these needles? I use Beadsmith twisted wire needles and they work fine. I also reuse them more than a couple times for each needle. Because they are long when the ends get twisted I use a plier to straighten them or snip off the bent part. I toss them after 3 uses.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results