shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA Fee Schedule understanding

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
PS-ers

I would like to solicit your opinions regarding GIA Fee Schedule and share my experience.

Perhaps being a noob I have misunderstood the schedule or not.
The story began a year ago when I brought a stone to GIA HK, after dropping off the stone, I left. I was informed by e-mail that the stone grading was done and awarded with S color, not wanting to give up, I was told that if I disagree with the result, I could always have the stone rechecked for a fee.

I was given the schedule(attached) which says Color, Cut, Clarity--50% applicable report fee and was told if there are changes in any of the grade, the fee would be waived; Thus, I replied to the e-mail,"Kindly recheck Color, Cut, Clarity". The result came out without any changes; thus, a month from the e-mail I came by to pick up the stone while thinking paying 50% extra for the rechecking.

Upon arriving at GIA to collect my stone I was given a surprise: the bill stated 150% extra. That is right I was charged 150% extra and the staff briefly explained that my e-mail instruction requested Color, Cut, Clarity recheck which is chargeable 50% extra for each of the services(50% for Cut, 50% for Clarity, 50% for Color). :wall: I argued with the staff for a good 1/2 an hour before they managed to call to the local director to come out and explain. He politely said,"This has always been the GIA way". I further argued that resubmitting the stone altogether as new would have been cheaper than this. He further added "each service is chargeable even though not listed in the schedule, that has been everyone's understanding from beginning of time"

Of course in the end I had no choice, but to pay and take back my stone and blame myself for being a noob, and they are after all GIA , how can they be wrong when it seems that I am the only one who has this problem.

What do you think? Do you think the schedule is confusing? and whether they should have it revised to be clearer?

Love to hear from you and thanks for reading my long winded story.

////////////////////////////
SECONDARY, FOLLOW-UP AND REPORT SERVICES
Re-Examination (re-cut) or Update of a GIA Report
eReport-- 80% of eReport fee
Dossier-- 80% of Dossier fee
Diamond Grading and Colored Diamond Reports
--50% of report fee if performed within one year
of original service, thereafter 75% of report fee
-------------------------------------------
Recheck or Final Observation of a Grading Result
Color, Clarity, Cut---50% of applicable report fee
Polish, Symmetry, Measurements, Fluorescence---25% of applicable report fee

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Service must be requested within 60 days of original grading.
Final observation services not available for Dossiers or eReports.
Report Conversion --75% of new report fee
Report Verification (loose or mounted) --50% of applicable report fee

The original report (excluding Diamond eReport) must accompany requests for recheck, final observation, and verification services. On Dossier secondary, follow-up and report services, the diamond must contain the original GIA report number inscription
////////////////////////////

giafeesschedule.jpg

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I disagreed with a report one time and they didn't tell me anything about the fee if the report stayed the same. They did; however, make an adjustment so I don't know if they would have charged me.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The GIA schedule says "Recheck ... of a Grading Result" - to me, that reads as recheck of one grading result (color OR clarity OR cut). So if I were to request recheck of more than one grading result, I would be charged accordingly.

Sorry you were confused - being hit with triple the expense you anticipate is never a good situation - sometimes email communication does not lend itself to the kinds of clarification/confirmation questions you might ask about fees/costs if transacting in person.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I think you have grounds for A complaint. The gia representative should have pointed out that it would cost less to resubmit the diamond vs the way you were asking it to be done. Yes, that is good customer service. Its one of the problems I find when dealing with companies whose reps don't explain all. I'd write a polite letter to the Pres of GIA. At the very least, they should have only charged you for the cost of examining the diamond again.. So Sorry this happened to you. I will surely remember it.

Annette

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
smitcompton|1408296291|3734273 said:
Hi,

I think you have grounds for A complaint. The gia representative should have pointed out that it would cost less to resubmit the diamond vs the way you were asking it to be done. Yes, that is good customer service. Its one of the problems I find when dealing with companies whose reps don't explain all. I'd write a polite letter to the Pres of GIA. At the very least, they should have only charged you for the cost of examining the diamond again.. So Sorry this happened to you. I will surely remember it.

Annette

I agree it could have been explained better in the documents. However the charges above are the charges for 'examing the diamond again' unless smitcompton means you should have had it made clear to you that you could only choose one attribute to be checked again for this 50% price. i.e. clarity OR cut OR color but not all three.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Pyramid,

No, I mean it costs less to send the diamond from scratch, the first time, and more to reevaluate it the second time. For example, say it cost 150.00 to send in a stone to GIA. 50% of that for each grade to be evaluated again is $75,00 x3-- 225.00. To send any stone in to GIA (of that size) is 150.00. So they should have told him to re-send the stone from scratch, thus it would be $150 vs 225.00.

I suspect most people only want to retest one issue, for 75.00. So as soon as he requested 3 issues, they should have told him to just resubmit. The cost would be less.

Annette

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yes, I see what you mean.

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for all of your inputs. It seems that my case is over the hill, since, it has been over a year. However, let me consider writing them an e-mail, not asking for a refund, but for their consideration to revise the confusing schedule to prevent someone else getting into the same "uncomfortable" situation (I did not bring enough cash to pay for the report :lol: ) as I did.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results