shape
carat
color
clarity

Most liberal and conservative cities

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am surprised that Denver,Co. is not further left of the chart.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Huh. Interesting. My town, nor my state, is on that chart.

Gypsy, consider moving to Bloomington, IN. We're a short flight and a doable drive from coasts, and we're a liberal mecca even though the state is considered "red."

On that note: Maybe "red" states need more people who think "blue" to come in and bring their influence? Just a thought. :angel: Love to have you, your kitties, and your husband here. You'd love it. The winters aren't typically as brutal as the last one. We'll help you through. This community is small enough that we all help each other out. Humor me at least and research it, will ya?! :wavey:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will honey. But I have to go where the jobs are. Not just one job, but the potential for several. Layoffs, etc. happen and I have to be careful that where ever we move has a good number of places that hire for what I do. And what DH does.

But I do promise to look.

And yes, Red states need blue.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Iowa's not on there either, and where I live certainly isn't haha! Oofda, going where the jobs are, Gypsy, don't ever come here. Tyson just shut down the plant here that's been operating since 1965, so 250 to 350 people are out of jobs come September. Our town has 5,000 on a good day, so who knows what will happen.

I hope you find a place w/good job opportunities for both of you!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, I live in a Chicago suburb. Please move here. DeeJay and I can help you find a house. If you don't have family here you can spend holidays with my family. My brother always brings up politics and my husband and I have so much watching him trying to change everyones mind. You could help us all gang up on him.

Now for the best part, Monnie, DeeJay, Lil MisFit, Catmom and April Baby all live close by. Imagine the get togethers! :angel:

Monnie, Sorry for trying to sway Gypsy. If your town is small you know she could something in my area and its close to you!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1408174125|3733537 said:
Huh. Interesting. My town, nor my state, is on that chart.

Gypsy, consider moving to Bloomington, IN. We're a short flight and a doable drive from coasts, and we're a liberal mecca even though the state is considered "red."

On that note: Maybe "red" states need more people who think "blue" to come in and bring their influence? Just a thought. :angel: Love to have you, your kitties, and your husband here. You'd love it. The winters aren't typically as brutal as the last one. We'll help you through. This community is small enough that we all help each other out. Humor me at least and research it, will ya?! :wavey:

All urban centers are more liberal than rural areas. Period. It's actually pretty well documented that cities won the election for Obama.

And yes, we Americans ARE self-segregating. I can't tell you how many times - when I have mentioned that very few here share my views - it is suggested even by like-minded people - that I move somewhere else. And what? Concentrate the divisions even more? Yes, it would be nice to live somewhere where racism was not so easily accepted, and it was not assumed that I was Baptist, but I can feel good that I'm adding to whatever diversity of opinion my city has.

Oh, and for those who don't know - I'm a white middle-aged woman with a blue mind and heart (and married to a like-minded man) in the deep red sea that is Oklahoma City. So in spite of our self-segregating, it's not perfect and liberals DO exist here, just in case anyone thinks we don't.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chicago is liberal but I live next to Wheaton , Il which probably makes top ranking Mesa look like a frat party!

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its an interesting article. It has been known for decades that larger cities are more liberal than smaller cities and communities (in general).

As far as where you should move.... Once upon I time I thought you'd do well in Eastern Wisconsin.... But, time and situations have changed for both of us ;-)

But, that does not mean you should not look at Milwaukee...

I wish you well in finding a new location. I occasionally get down to Chicago - although I have not been to a PS event in a few years (I need to change that).

Have a great day,

Perry

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Callie, I actually got head hunted for a job in Chicago. But the salary was too low, and the cost of living too high when we calculated everything out. And my husband HATES snow that sticks. So it is unlikely we will be moving there. But between you and DeeJay and several other PSers I know in the area... it is VERY tempting in terms of friends and 'family', and it is good for jobs, so I'll leave in on the list.

Packrat... LOL! Ok. I'll keep that in mind. I'm sorry, though, it must be so hard to live in an area so badly impacted by job loss. That is the third good thing about living in Nor Cal (weather being first, liberal area being second). Jobs a plenty.

Ksinger, that's what I keep telling myself. My cousins live in Texas. And they were raised by my very red uncle (who is a doll otherwise) and both of them, AND their SO's, are blue. I agree that we are segregating and it's not a good thing.

April, wow, really?

Thanks Perry!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Gypsy. And yeeeeah we have shitty winters too, so we have like..nothing to offer. We have corn on the cob a few weeks in the summer...that's about all Iowa has going for it.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1408228845|3733905 said:
Hi Callie, I actually got head hunted for a job in Chicago. But the salary was too low, and the cost of living too high when we calculated everything out. And my husband HATES snow that sticks. So it is unlikely we will be moving there. But between you and DeeJay and several other PSers I know in the area... it is VERY tempting in terms of friends and 'family', and it is good for jobs, so I'll leave in on the list.

Packrat... LOL! Ok. I'll keep that in mind. I'm sorry, though, it must be so hard to live in an area so badly impacted by job loss. That is the third good thing about living in Nor Cal (weather being first, liberal area being second). Jobs a plenty.

Ksinger, that's what I keep telling myself. My cousins live in Texas. And they were raised by my very red uncle (who is a doll otherwise) and both of them, AND their SO's, are blue. I agree that we are segregating and it's not a good thing.

April, wow, really?

Thanks Perry!

Hi Gypsy, I understand how your husband feels about the snow. I've lived her my whole life and really dislike the sub zero temperature we can get. The snow really is beautiful if you don't have to drive it. Think sitting in front of the fireplace with a mug of coffee or hot chocolate watching the snow fall. Okay maybe I should say wine or something stronger for your husband. Maybe he could get used to it? Please don't cross Chicago off your list.

My husband and I lived in Wheaton about 15 years ago. April Baby is definitely telling the truth!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I won't say anything else besides interesting. Otherwise I'm sure I'll find the way to play the victim blah blah blah.

Gypsy how is the job hunt going? I have been thinking about your situation a lot lately as my husband and I are debating a lifestyle change. We are trying to check the box on so many places and haven't found anything perfect....or even close enough to make our decision serious. I keep hoping though.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1408228845|3733905 said:

April, wow, really?

Thanks Perry!

We Chicagoans would be THRILLED if you moved here. How did you determine it's too expensive? Lots of nice affordable areas here?

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Did you remove Raleigh/ Durham/ Chapel Hill off the list? SB- I know you didn't like it here- but you were in a small town out of the more urban area.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
pinkjewel|1408319404|3734452 said:
Did you remove Raleigh/ Durham/ Chapel Hill off the list?

Nope. It's still right in the top 5.

We have two lists:
List A: places we would move without me having a job and no relocation help from a job.
List B. places we would move with DH not having a job, but with relocation help from my job.

List A is very short. It's pretty much the DC metro area and Denver or Boulder, Co. These are areas where we would just want to live period. We would pay to relocate there and I would start looking for a job ASAP (and would probably start at as a temp somewhere), DH would stay with his current company and transfer.

List B is much longer. Here are the top five:
DC Metro
Denver or Boulder, CO
Dallas, Austin or Houston, TX (in order of preference)
Research Triangle, NC
Atlanta, GA

We are trying to see what we can find that would pay for relocation FIRST. Then if that doesn't work after a reasonable time frame (February 2015), then we would move in February (right before our lease is up) to one of the List A areas.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1408325281|3734495 said:
pinkjewel|1408319404|3734452 said:
Did you remove Raleigh/ Durham/ Chapel Hill off the list?

Nope. It's still right in the top 5.

We have two lists:
List A: places we would move without me having a job and no relocation help from a job.
List B. places we would move with DH not having a job, but with relocation help from my job.

List A is very short. It's pretty much the DC metro area and Denver or Boulder, Co. These are areas where we would just want to live period. We would pay to relocate there and I would start looking for a job ASAP (and would probably start at as a temp somewhere), DH would stay with his current company and transfer.

List B is much longer. Here are the top five:
DC Metro
Denver or Boulder, CO
Dallas, Austin or Houston, TX (in order of preference)
Research Triangle, NC
Atlanta, GA

We are trying to see what we can find that would pay for relocation FIRST. Then if that doesn't work after a reasonable time frame (February 2015), then we would move in February (right before our lease is up) to one of the List A areas.
Well, I'd love to have you here!!! Let me know f I can help in anyway. Or let me know if you decide to come visit. :wavey:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Will do!

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
I like Austin but I'm biased. I moved here after college and never left. If I did leave, it'd be to Houston. As long as you don't work for Dell, the jobs here are great. (Dell has lots of layoffs but they often rehire too for less $.) It's also the most liberal city in Texas if that's what you're looking for. Interesting that that's the case considering it feels like there are lots of Tea Partiers here too. Traffic SUCKS here so you've been warned. But the weather is really nice most of the year (Aug and Sept are super hot), there are tons of things to do for outdoors and indoors ppl. The news did a study and 110 ppl move to Austin each day.

Do you mind if I ask what industry you and/or your husband want to work in? I may be able to offer an opinion as to demand here.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's harder than just 'industry'. I am a contracts manager. I have the ability to negotiate, draft and manage contracts for a variety of industries. But I do commercial contracting, not government-- so aviation, oil and military contracting are not the right fit for me (and that's the majority of contracting positions in Texas). I work for a healthcare company now. I've worked in Semi-conductor. I've worked in technology (hardware and software). What I generally need is companies that are large enough to have a robust legal or procurement department that they can afford to hire people who specialize in contracts.

My husband manages residential properties. So generally wherever there is a university or a decent rental market he is okay. I'm the one that's the tougher nut to crack job wise.

I did just do my second interview with a great company. But I don't think they want to pay for relocation. Still, I would love some dust. It would be a great fit for me, and for them.

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
Here's me throwing some dust your way :pray:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Gypsy, Sending truckloads of dust to you! :angel:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you both! I really don't think it's going to happen. They told me outright they might not be able to afford me.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy - I saw in another thread that you may be moving to TX. If you're in a big city, REALLY don't worry about the red-stateness. All that aren't Austin are liberal without being hippy-dippy (uh, maybe not Amarillo, but does Amarillo count as urban???). Now, there aren't enough liberals so that you ONLY encounter liberal viewpoints, and there are plenty of blue-dog dems, but I think a little healthy debate is a good thing. I highly recommend Texas... but I'm a Texas through-and-through and pretty biased in favor of the state!

OH and I see D-town is high on the list of Texas cities. It is noticeably "bluer" than Houston imo. Plus I am here, which is an obvious added benefit that should be taken under serious consideration. In addition: all the sports teams (ALL OF THEM), sweet museum district, excellent opera, good food, people only rarely ride bikes in the street where cars should go (HI AUSTIN, I SEE YOU), don't have to pay for parking everwhere (HI AGAIN, AUSTIN), um, as all good Texans do I have about ten thousand opinions on Texas cities and all of them have the result that the one I live in is the best. I mean, San Antonio would be acceptable too.

Fun fact: Texas was the second state to elect a female governor, Ma Ferguson, in 1925 (sworn in two weeks after the first female governor in the US), and one of only six states to have had more than one female governor. Now, Ma wasn't any Ann Richards, but still.

And dust for the job you want!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Distracts, what a great post, thank you. That was extremely helpful.

I have close family (that I actually like!) in the Fort Worth area so that boosts Dallas to the top of the heap in TX, plus I've been out that way a bunch of times. And there are so many places out there that have great food (Uncle Julio's Red Brick Quail). Austin has the Salt Lick though....mmm, Salt Lick. And it's 1:30 AM and my belly is rumbling.

Thank you for the dust too!

Ohh.... and Pappadeaux Gulf Coast Redfish Pontchartrain. Yum.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1408437480|3735361 said:
Distracts, what a great post, thank you. That was extremely helpful.

I have close family (that I actually like!) in the Fort Worth area so that boosts Dallas to the top of the heap in TX, plus I've been out that way a bunch of times. And there are so many places out there that have great food (Uncle Julio's Red Brick Quail). Austin has the Salt Lick though....mmm, Salt Lick. And it's 1:30 AM and my belly is rumbling.

Thank you for the dust too!

Ohh.... and Pappadeaux Gulf Coast Redfish Pontchartrain. Yum.

And going further down the Dallas food road....be sure and try Smoke for your smoked meat fix, and Cafe Madrid for really excellent tapas.

Yeah, Dallas is just a leisurely morning drive away from OKC. :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so the dust is working so far. They did call me to talk about details like salary and possible start date. They are now going to see if what I told them is something they can work with, or if it isn't. If it is something that they can work with, then I would have one more phone interview, and then they would fly me out. So... fingers and toes crossed. I really like the manager. And the company is a good one. And the job is good fit too. Thank you guys for the dust, again.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok. They just called and scheduled the last phone interview for tomorrow. I guess that means my salary, etc. didn't scare them off!!

Whew. So... this might be happening. I'm a bit lightheaded. I should call my husband.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
More dust! I hope it works out!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results